Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 115 reviews matching the search See all 4,026 reviews
Hostile & Stressful Work Culture. Would NOT Recommend.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 September 2018
Management are under severe pressure from higher management and stress staff out on a daily basis by humiliating us and pressurising us to scan super fast even when customers are struggling to keep up and complaining that we are scanning ridiculously fast.

You never get to finish a shift on time. I usually finish 2 hours after my original time.

Poor management. They never survive at Lidl for more than 3 months and while they are here, they're so miserable and stressed. I've worked with over 10 store managers in less than a year.

You are on your feet the entire day. You don't get a second to stop and drink some water unless you are on your break (which by the way, you are lucky if you even get)

No training provided AT ALL - you just have to figure everything out yourself or ask a more experienced colleague about every little thing because managers just let you get on with it from your first day without helping you and then they complain & humiliate you behind your back if you make a small mistake.

Shifts are changed last minute (the day before) and they won't alert you so you have to keep checking the rota.

Managers do not appreciate staff's effort one bit. They just always find something to complain about.

Managers always gossip about staff. You end up hearing about it through the grapevine anyway.

Hostile work environment. Wouldn't recommend. Only OK if you are desperate for a job.
Pros
Staff discount, uniform, every minute is paid
Cons
Unpaid breaks, poor management, horrible work culture, highly stressful
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Cons
It was a good job but the management and people, not so much.
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire23 July 2018
The job was fairly easy, the worst part was being stuck on a till for your 10 hour shift, and not getting any till support.

The management and duty managers seemed to make the job harder than it had to be because they couldn't be bothered to do theres correctly, always ordering more stock than we could handle for delivery's for example, and just not putting their fair share of effort into the team.

All in all i would work for Lidl again, but not at the same store.
Pros
good wage
Cons
early starts, long shifts, bad management
It is decent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 July 2018
Decent job for someone who wants a lil bit more than the minimal salary, however it's quite stressful in some stores as we're getting alot of mean customers and it is definately quite a bit harder than working in other stores(sainsbury, tesco). The life/work balance isn't perfect as they often ask you to stay longer. The team in my store is really good, pretty positive vibes all around.
Pros
employee discount, good colleagues
Cons
not easy
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, Lincolnshire19 July 2018
It is what it is, clock in clock out.
do your work and go home no extra.
Really good money, sometimes long hours but generally good for its money.
would recommend.
Pros
pay per hour
Opportunity
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex2 July 2018
Lidl presents a very good opportunity to anyone that wants to work their way up within a company. There was work available when I wanted extra shifts and friendly management you could talk to.
The work was very strenuous but not dreadfully hard.
I enjoyed working with customers and helping the store through its busiest times. I like a challenge and this was what a shift at work would provide. Well payed work that makes you leave at the end of the shift feeling satisfied you have earned it.
Terrible Place To Work Bad Management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk26 June 2018
Lidl was ran terribly.
The management put so much pressure on the staff to scan quickly and learn all the codes for fruit and veg, there was often tests required to take after a shift.
The staff bullied one another and no one was polite.
Would not recommend working there to anyone
Pros
None.
Cons
everything
Great Place To Work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath7 June 2018
Bust & fast paced workplace.

I learned how to remain calm under pressure - such as extremely busy times.

Mixed culture.

Some heavy lifting.

Management are ok
Convinent for a Student Part time Job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okehampton, Devon31 May 2018
- I joined Lidl during college when i turned 18 and they took me on without any previous job experience which I was delighted with
- I started work over summer with training included; they then catered my hours around my study schedule when i went back to college which was highly convinient
- management have changed a few times since working and i believe they are consistently improving
- it is a fast paced environment which a few employeed struggle with but this is disclosed in the job advertisement and applicants should take note
- it can be challenging but the most enjoyable part of the job is unexpected kindness from customers particularly in times of business which makes negative customer experiences worth it.
Pros
Lidl Discount
Cons
Not set finish hours on a close
fast paced environment
Customer assistant/cashier (Current Employee) –  Darwen, Lancashire4 May 2018
Hardest part of the job is getting your breaks. being so busy, sometimes it is hard for staff to fit in the legal breaks.
All staff are working very hard. I've got a better understanding of the demands on shop personnel and management.
Working with customers is the best part of the job. no two days are the same and interacting with people is very easy for me.
Pros
10% employer discount card
Cons
very physically demanding

Want to know more about Lidl?

Ask a question
Hard work but good pay
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coatbridge2 May 2018
Depending on the shift you work different roles within the store, this means each day is similar but not exactly the same. I have learned to be quick on my feet and time efficient during my time there. The hardest part of the job would definitely be the work load and the heavy early morning shifts, and the most enjoyable part would be the work environment.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours
Cons
Long shifts, late finishes, demanding
If you value your life as a human being, do not work here.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom22 April 2018
Working for this company left me with severe depression and anxiety, due to the horrendous mistreatment from management, and the company itself.
This is a company that employs intimidation as a management tool, one especially favoured by company directors/auditors/upper management during their relentless store visits.
No aspect of your appearance, attitude or mannerism is left uncriticized, leading to staff being ground down to nothing if you try to endure it for too long.
Any hope of a personal life is out of the question, you will be expected to give that up for this company. You may receive a good payslip at the end of the month, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it?
Honestly, I could keep adding to this review until my fingers wear down to the knuckle.

Just take my advice, don't.

You're better than this.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Everything else
fast
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penicuik9 April 2018
Every day would be busy and fast-paced. Being kept busy and learning new roles. Would be kept busy as soon as you entered the store. The best part was the smell of the bakery.
Cons
very long hours to very short hours
toxic environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
manager yelling at staff and customers, manager does not give you enough hours (makes you compensate by sending you to other stores), bad company culture
Cons
everything
Terrible.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
The training programme they tell you about, called LEON, is a lie. You use it a couple of times before they abandon it. Shifts change on a daily basis. Hours are unreasonable and they expect you to stay past your shift every shift (even if you're randomly scheduled to finish at midnight, you could end up there until 2AM).
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
long hours, 10 hour shifts only have a 30min break.
very busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
i enjoyed working at lidl has it was always busy and i was always on the go i mostly worked on tills but also did some shop floor work which was decarding the shelves and stacking the shelves.
Very bad and hate Christians
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
This company do a Greek Range and they used the Church cupolas which is a famous Greek Church, but they photoshopped the cross from the church to put on their Greek range. This is so disrespectful. When asked they said they didn't want to be religious biased, but they sell Halal meat and other religious paraphernalia. I had to leave, I could not work for this disgusting company.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
They hate Christians
Challenging workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaunas30 March 2018
It requires a quite amount of flexibility, but the salary is really competitive. One of the biggest disadvantages is unstable lunch breaks, e.g. you can get lunch at 9 pm.
Cons
Unpredictable lunch break time
hard but fair
Full time position, Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond22 March 2018
Hard work within a well oiled team environment. Well paid but earn your money through a continued expectation of hard work throughout every shift in store.
Pros
pay well
Cons
long days
Rather awful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 March 2018
Underpaid, under appreciated, not utilised, long hours, unfair working expectations, too many ego's, favouritism, uncaring, no respect, you name a problem it's probably there.