Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Great Place To Work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath7 June 2018
Bust & fast paced workplace.

I learned how to remain calm under pressure - such as extremely busy times.

Mixed culture.

Some heavy lifting.

Management are ok
fast paced environment
Customer assistant/cashier (Current Employee) –  Darwen, Lancashire4 May 2018
Hardest part of the job is getting your breaks. being so busy, sometimes it is hard for staff to fit in the legal breaks.
All staff are working very hard. I've got a better understanding of the demands on shop personnel and management.
Working with customers is the best part of the job. no two days are the same and interacting with people is very easy for me.
Pros
10% employer discount card
Cons
very physically demanding
Hard work but good pay
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coatbridge2 May 2018
Depending on the shift you work different roles within the store, this means each day is similar but not exactly the same. I have learned to be quick on my feet and time efficient during my time there. The hardest part of the job would definitely be the work load and the heavy early morning shifts, and the most enjoyable part would be the work environment.
Pros
Good pay, flexible hours
Cons
Long shifts, late finishes, demanding
If you value your life as a human being, do not work here.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom22 April 2018
Working for this company left me with severe depression and anxiety, due to the horrendous mistreatment from management, and the company itself.
This is a company that employs intimidation as a management tool, one especially favoured by company directors/auditors/upper management during their relentless store visits.
No aspect of your appearance, attitude or mannerism is left uncriticized, leading to staff being ground down to nothing if you try to endure it for too long.
Any hope of a personal life is out of the question, you will be expected to give that up for this company. You may receive a good payslip at the end of the month, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it?
Honestly, I could keep adding to this review until my fingers wear down to the knuckle.

Just take my advice, don't.

You're better than this.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Everything else
fast
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penicuik9 April 2018
Every day would be busy and fast-paced. Being kept busy and learning new roles. Would be kept busy as soon as you entered the store. The best part was the smell of the bakery.
Cons
very long hours to very short hours
toxic environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
manager yelling at staff and customers, manager does not give you enough hours (makes you compensate by sending you to other stores), bad company culture
Cons
everything
Terrible.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
The training programme they tell you about, called LEON, is a lie. You use it a couple of times before they abandon it. Shifts change on a daily basis. Hours are unreasonable and they expect you to stay past your shift every shift (even if you're randomly scheduled to finish at midnight, you could end up there until 2AM).
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
long hours, 10 hour shifts only have a 30min break.
very busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
i enjoyed working at lidl has it was always busy and i was always on the go i mostly worked on tills but also did some shop floor work which was decarding the shelves and stacking the shelves.
Very bad and hate Christians
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
This company do a Greek Range and they used the Church cupolas which is a famous Greek Church, but they photoshopped the cross from the church to put on their Greek range. This is so disrespectful. When asked they said they didn't want to be religious biased, but they sell Halal meat and other religious paraphernalia. I had to leave, I could not work for this disgusting company.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
They hate Christians
Challenging workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaunas30 March 2018
It requires a quite amount of flexibility, but the salary is really competitive. One of the biggest disadvantages is unstable lunch breaks, e.g. you can get lunch at 9 pm.
Cons
Unpredictable lunch break time
hard but fair
Full time position, Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond22 March 2018
Hard work within a well oiled team environment. Well paid but earn your money through a continued expectation of hard work throughout every shift in store.
Pros
pay well
Cons
long days
Rather awful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 March 2018
Underpaid, under appreciated, not utilised, long hours, unfair working expectations, too many ego's, favouritism, uncaring, no respect, you name a problem it's probably there.
A hideous company creates hideous people.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend16 March 2018
A job with crazy hours. On a 25 hour contract- one week I could have 8 hours, the next almost 50. They have a company-colleague handbook that is made up of lies such as shifts not being changed without consent. Sometimes they’ll change them on the day.
I worked under almost 20 different people of the management team in just under a year, and can honestly only think of one or two that were decent at their jobs while still being a decent person.
A job full of empty promises and lies when it comes to development.
Could not express how little I would advocate a job here.
Pros
Staff keeping each other sane
Cons
Management, hours, the job itself
Retail
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bingham15 March 2018
Pretty much like many other retailers except they do pay more on average but they requires to work very very hard and to be doing several task at once, Shift pattern work mean you won'y get a job life balance and will often call you in at a drop of the hat.
Pros
Ok Wage
Cons
Long hours, Shift pattern
Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  King Street Aberdeen29 January 2018
Following a good interview I was excited to start working at Lidl, however as days turned into weeks I was disappointed when the manager of the store kept putting off my start date due to “induction errors”. Eventually he allowed me to start working in the warehouse without customer interaction because I had not done any training. I spent the majority of my shifts breaking up cardboard and packaging and pulling heavy deliveries off the delivery vans - all without mandatory health and safety training (despite asking to do it). Worse still were the “4 weeks in advance” rotas which were actually 1 week notice of shifts that could change at any time (including on the day of your shift). Then do not expect to get paid on time or the correct amount of money earned - you will be deducted wages for all breaks (if you are lucky enough to get breaks on shift but even if you work through them, the time will still be deducted from your pay). Worst management I have ever come across - an embarassment to the retail industry!
Pros
Free uniform
Cons
no notice of shifts, poor management, no training, disputed wages
It's not a nice job.....
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire25 January 2018
Worked like a slave and the Manager and Duty Manager always says FASTER all day, lifting a lot.
Always under staffed. Some of colleague are ok, same of them NO, i am not fell like i am part of the team.
The pay is good, 10% discount is ok, but it almost pass a month and i didn't received my discount card....
The rota is very strange, you can work till 8pm and start the next day at 4am unloading pallets.
Like new employee gives you shifts on all weekends and free time in the middle on the week when everybody is at work.
Long shifts about 10-12h with only 30 min break...
I like working on till.
Alright
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Coventry20 January 2018
Lidl is a good place to work if you only care about the money, the staff are friendly and it’s nice to work there , management do not appreciate all the overtime and all the hard work you do.
Pros
Money
Fun place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands8 January 2018
Lovely staff to work with. Good hours and they pay a good salary. Very happy place to work and always feel motivated. Nice customers. Good staff incentives and discounts.
Management very poor
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex10 December 2017
Great company overall great pay and hours always there, trained in all aspect of supermarket retail although in store management very poor. Loved the job but management is very poor speacialy store managers assistant Collette very rude to new stuff. Store 0743 Southend on Sea
Pros
Never have break on time
Cons
amazing team to work with
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Saltash30 November 2017
experience working at lidl was great as i met some amazing people and i worked in the store helping people and had brilliant training and i gave me a good insight into working with the public.