Lidl Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 125 reviews matching the search See all 4,242 reviews
Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth7 December 2018
Management treat us like rubbish!

10 hours shifts with only 30 minutes break, you’re going to work like a slave and they will even control when you go to the toilet!

If you ask to go to the toilet out of your break time, they will reduce your break time...
Pros
Cons
They change the rota and don’t inform us
Disgraceful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
My review is based on things I have witnessed on numerous stores

Staff not turning up leaving the store in chaos

Rota changes all the time leaving any time away from Lidl unpredictable

TKTs left so long that liquid has leaked from them but told to put the stuff out anyway

Staff in tears

Favouritism to certain staff (getting best shifts and hours)

Higher than average wage is cancelled out by the lack of hours

Area Managers ripping apart all your hard work

Horrible customers. Seriously, I’ve never met so many miserable whinging people in my life

The above also applies to your colleagues as well

Terrible HR team

Pay always wrong

11 or 12 hour shift? You get a 30 minute break

Constant hassle to work harder. I think if they could, Lidl would give managers whips to use

Constant back and muscle pain

Stores are filthy

Just a few pointers but suffice to say, read the other reviews. It’s one of the worst places to work for. It’s dreadful

Having said that, they do pay for your Christmas meal, mine is in 2 weeks. There will probably be a fight as staff detest each other so much.
Pros
£8.75 start, 30 days leave, reasonably secure
Run like a sweat shop
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 December 2018
At first i enjoyed the job it was fast paced and always something to do and it's an easy an job..... literally one of the easiest jobs I've had as long as you can keep up with the pace. They have one of the best inductions ive ever seen uniform, name badge etc etc all sorted before I got to my store....... BUT it's not all roses.

If your shift ends at 1pm or 11pm etc.. do not expect expect to leave on time the managers will guilt trip you or make you fear for your job if you don't stay when asked

On 10HOUR shifts you get 30 minutes for a break. You are allowed to take an hour break on a shift over 8 hours....... You try taking an hour break at lidl see what happen they do not like it what so ever.

Managers have really bad ego problems if you don't bend over for them and speak to them like they are royalty or do any overtime they ask (demand) you to do they get really butthurt.

They say they have 3 weeks of rotas up LOL!!! That's a LIE! It doesn't happen and if/when it does they're guaranteed to be changed/taken down soon after they are put up

I was sacked from lidl for being ill. I followed the sickness procudure like I should have gave my sicknotes on time and in person. I went in for meeting with my manager about returning to store on reduced hours he said "thats fine I'll get your hours reduced" I got a letter a few days later dated the day after this meeting saying I was sacked (I was still in probation...... Sneeky)

In short if you want good wages and fast paced work and you don't mind bending over for egotistical babies then this is the job for you.
Pros
Good wages, good induction
Cons
Long hours, forced overtime
Work, work, & more work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 December 2018
5am starts you are expected to drag out pallets manually with a pump truck that weigh over 200-300kg. While there is an electric pump truck at hand, only management are allowed to use it due to "insurance" purposes. It takes around 45mins for 1 person to finish a large pallete. Management expect it done in 20 mins.

Working around 12 palletes, then you made to drag out the bulks, again manually. Dragging out water pallets and fizzy pop.

Management are oblivious how to do their job. Ordering stock thats not needed. Maxing out stock on shelves then ordering more for it to sit in the warehoue by not going out, creating extra work for the person working stock.

It is your duty to know about the store figures, from sales to financial loss. The departments that incurred the loss, how much loss occured.

You have to know PLU numbers while working on tills (price lookup codes) the short codes for bakery items, fruit and veg without barcodes. If you dont know them, managenent come down real hard on you. You get spot tests every week. There is also trolley tests, a week before the mystery shopper is to arrive.

You dont get your breaks on time, you get breaks often 30 mins before you finish. Which takes the micky on a 7 hour shift.

Do you yourselves a favour, dont work for £8.75 an hour. Only after a year service it will go to £9.45. By then they expect you to take the world on your shoulders.
Pros
Making good friends
Cons
Work doesnt live up to the extra £1 per hour.
Be prepared to break your back!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands9 November 2018
A typical day at work would be non-stop putting out stock or slaving away on the tills. Time does go fast but you sure do break a sweat...or a bone.

What I have learned is that Lidl is a place to work if you don't care in putting yourself in harms way and look forward to back pain. The company literally make you work for every single penny! Not to mention remembering PLU codes. It's like the Lidls Bible.

There is zero work life balance and you constantly feel pressurised by other colleagues and management.

The hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting and the 20 mins they give you to put out pallets. If you go over by any minute they just yell at you. I mean, if you're that fussed about going over the time limit why don't you just hire more staff? We're not machines!

I will say it is not a nice place to work even though the only upside is the nice staff and being able to rant to other colleagues about the same problems.

Honestly, not even worth your time, trust me. I chose not to pay attention to all of the bad views about Lidl and just assumed it can't be that bad but lo and behold it was worse than I could have ever possibly imagined.
Pros
10% discount. Nice people to work with.
Cons
A lot of heavy lifting, Constantly pressurised by management, Kiss goodbye to sleep because of 5am starts, Too much work the pay is just not worth it.
Dreadful, for your sanity, dont do it
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2018
Typical day at Lidl

On a 5 am start? Enjoy seeing a manager lose his temper when the previous shift didn't do all what they said they would and take it out on you.

Realise that at least one person hasn't turned up due to lateness or calling in sick

Doing Meat? Prepare to move incredibly heavy TKT's full of meat on an pump truck that has seen better days.

Open the TKT to be confronted with overloaded trays that are either impossible to pull out, or packets of meat that that just been thrown in there by the depot as they couldn't be bothered to stack it properly.

What's that on the floor or over your hands? Oh, its blood from a split packet.

Have said managers constantly challenging you to stack quicker while he or she is having a smoke outside

Remove out of date meat that wasn't removed the previous shift

Realise you haven't got enough time to do it so you just chuck it into the chiller anyway.

Doing fruit and Veg? Enjoy pulling a 6ft plus pallet of goods on a dangerously leaning tower on another pump truck. There could be 6 of them. Better be fit / strong. You will be physically ruined after it and you day has just begun.

Enjoy further harassment from managers in between their 'off the record' smoking breaks to make sure everything is ready by 8am

If you are not in the 'gang' you will then be destined to spend the rest of the day on tills dealing with constant abuse, inane questions and customers who treat it like a bank by throwing change at you. Best to wear gloves. Customers will complain about queues no matter what. They complain, complain
  more... and complain.

Try and squeeze an UNPAID break in and of you are really lucky, you may not get asked to come back from your break early. Oh, you will be sitting there on your own. There is no 'social' aspect to Lidl

Bit quieter? Close your till and then try to stack a 6ft pallet of ambient goods that has turned up late (again) Get used to the boxes collapsing that you are trying to stack due to poor quality cardboard.

Just started the pallet and suddenly queues are building so you are called back on tills. Spend 45 mins clearing the queue then get back to the pallet. Manager will then ask you why you haven't finished it. You try and tell them you were called back on tills but they wont hear you as they have already judged you, walked off and are now going for another smoking break.

Oh, the shops gone quiet again. That's effecting profit. Any chance you can go home early? (loss of money or hours or both) Yeah, thanks for your hard work but you are no longer needed as we need to save hours.

Get paid at the end of month, then realise they have made an error so you are a day's shift down (£80 - £100). Its ok, you'll get it back in 4 or 5 weeks.

Add to the casual racism throughout the organisation, sexism and being shouted at / humiliated by managers you then realise what a terrible mistake you have made.

You then leave and try and forget about Lidl.

This is just a snippet of the daily nightmare that is your working day. I've witnessed people in tears (when being abused by a customer or shouted at by a manager), people physically destroyed by the weight of the items being lifted or dealing with a stream people who will abuse you at the tills

Don't be fooled by the slightly higher wage. They want their pound of flesh from you. Don't be fooled by the offer of shift manager either, for the princely sum of £1 per hour extra, you will be doing more that the store managers and will be mentally ruined by the end of your shift

I cannot put into words what a nightmare working at Lidl is. For your sanity, cashflow, physical wellbeing don't do it.
Pros
When you leave
Hectic but fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Queensferry9 October 2018
Time goes very quick, money is good, often juggling many tasks at once and sometimes understaffed. Management are extremely supportive and helpful when asked.
The only reason anyone joins or stays is because of the pay
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland8 October 2018
Your team will most likely be full of fat middle aged women who moan all the time, young people who just want to work and earn money, people who take their job too seriously and managers who you wonder "how did you get this position?"

You start off with £8.75 which seems alright until you realise that you'll have to do about 5x the work you would be if you worked at Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc and you only earn about 50p extra.

Rotas are made 3 weeks in advance and one day you could be working 6-12 then the next it's 6-4 and then it's 11:30 until 21:30 and then back in at 9 the next morning. It's a shambles and unless you give 3 weeks notice then good luck getting a day off for that doctors appointment you need.

You are guaranteed to work at least 1 day every weekend. Which seems alright until you've worked 12 weeks in a row getting a Friday off and then you're in at 6am on a Saturday and Sunday. There is NO room for a social life.

Oh and that 10 hour shift you're doing? Yeah don't expect anything more than a 30 minute unpaid break for that.
Pros
Pay is decent for a shop but not worth the extra pennies at all
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, bad management and very anti-social.
Nice and cool place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Feltham5 October 2018
It's a good place to work and kick start the career. The pay is upto the standard and is fun as the collegue are understanding. overall, team work is the key.
Pros
London allowance
Hostile & Stressful Work Culture. Would NOT Recommend.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 September 2018
Management are under severe pressure from higher management and stress staff out on a daily basis by humiliating us and pressurising us to scan super fast even when customers are struggling to keep up and complaining that we are scanning ridiculously fast.

You never get to finish a shift on time. I usually finish 2 hours after my original time.

Poor management. They never survive at Lidl for more than 3 months and while they are here, they're so miserable and stressed. I've worked with over 10 store managers in less than a year.

You are on your feet the entire day. You don't get a second to stop and drink some water unless you are on your break (which by the way, you are lucky if you even get)

No training provided AT ALL - you just have to figure everything out yourself or ask a more experienced colleague about every little thing because managers just let you get on with it from your first day without helping you and then they complain & humiliate you behind your back if you make a small mistake.

Shifts are changed last minute (the day before) and they won't alert you so you have to keep checking the rota.

Managers do not appreciate staff's effort one bit. They just always find something to complain about.

Managers always gossip about staff. You end up hearing about it through the grapevine anyway.

Hostile work environment. Wouldn't recommend. Only OK if you are desperate for a job.
Pros
Staff discount, uniform, every minute is paid
Cons
Unpaid breaks, poor management, horrible work culture, highly stressful
productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thanet, Kent28 August 2018
In this fast paced role, I work both on the tills and on the shop floor. I serve customers, help them find the right product, set out stock, decard shelves, and clean the the entire store for closing.
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Cons
It was a good job but the management and people, not so much.
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire23 July 2018
The job was fairly easy, the worst part was being stuck on a till for your 10 hour shift, and not getting any till support.

The management and duty managers seemed to make the job harder than it had to be because they couldn't be bothered to do theres correctly, always ordering more stock than we could handle for delivery's for example, and just not putting their fair share of effort into the team.

All in all i would work for Lidl again, but not at the same store.
Pros
good wage
Cons
early starts, long shifts, bad management
It is decent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 July 2018
Decent job for someone who wants a lil bit more than the minimal salary, however it's quite stressful in some stores as we're getting alot of mean customers and it is definately quite a bit harder than working in other stores(sainsbury, tesco). The life/work balance isn't perfect as they often ask you to stay longer. The team in my store is really good, pretty positive vibes all around.
Pros
employee discount, good colleagues
Cons
not easy
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, Lincolnshire19 July 2018
It is what it is, clock in clock out.
do your work and go home no extra.
Really good money, sometimes long hours but generally good for its money.
would recommend.
Pros
pay per hour
Opportunity
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex2 July 2018
Lidl presents a very good opportunity to anyone that wants to work their way up within a company. There was work available when I wanted extra shifts and friendly management you could talk to.
The work was very strenuous but not dreadfully hard.
I enjoyed working with customers and helping the store through its busiest times. I like a challenge and this was what a shift at work would provide. Well payed work that makes you leave at the end of the shift feeling satisfied you have earned it.
Terrible Place To Work Bad Management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk26 June 2018
Lidl was ran terribly.
The management put so much pressure on the staff to scan quickly and learn all the codes for fruit and veg, there was often tests required to take after a shift.
The staff bullied one another and no one was polite.
Would not recommend working there to anyone
Pros
None.
Cons
everything
Great Place To Work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath7 June 2018
Bust & fast paced workplace.

I learned how to remain calm under pressure - such as extremely busy times.

Mixed culture.

Some heavy lifting.

Management are ok
Convinent for a Student Part time Job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okehampton, Devon31 May 2018
- I joined Lidl during college when i turned 18 and they took me on without any previous job experience which I was delighted with
- I started work over summer with training included; they then catered my hours around my study schedule when i went back to college which was highly convinient
- management have changed a few times since working and i believe they are consistently improving
- it is a fast paced environment which a few employeed struggle with but this is disclosed in the job advertisement and applicants should take note
- it can be challenging but the most enjoyable part of the job is unexpected kindness from customers particularly in times of business which makes negative customer experiences worth it.
Pros
Lidl Discount
Cons
Not set finish hours on a close
fast paced environment
Customer assistant/cashier (Current Employee) –  Darwen, Lancashire4 May 2018
Hardest part of the job is getting your breaks. being so busy, sometimes it is hard for staff to fit in the legal breaks.
All staff are working very hard. I've got a better understanding of the demands on shop personnel and management.
Working with customers is the best part of the job. no two days are the same and interacting with people is very easy for me.
Pros
10% employer discount card
Cons
very physically demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K