Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 869 reviews matching the search See all 4,242 reviews
If you are a graduate and passionate about retail, this is everything you are looking for.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 May 2018
Excellent place to work, particularly at Head Office in London and down south. Lots of autonomy, responsibility and endless opportunities to work in a variety of positions and countries.

Left because retail is not my thing and I want to pursue my dream career in software development. At Lidl, you will work long hours and the job consumes much of your time so make sure you are passionate about retail and business management. If you are, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Pros
excellent salary, progression, opportunities, pension scheme, company car.
Cons
Long hours, some positions have poor work-life balance.
Worked there for a month
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire6 October 2018
From the beginning I knew this company was full of hype. You always hear how good this company is to work for, but after sitting through the induction day and that motivation video was played. I knew this was going to suck! From the get go the managers were absolutely incompetent and we had to wait 5 hours for a break! This is a no no and I feel sorry for the guys that worked with me that day as the culture is built on fear. Bear in mind that all the managers are young and are just “Yes” men/women. The whole thing is wrong and I haven’t met anyone who enjoys being there. They put me on every weekend possible so that stopped me getting high!

Apply though this was just my experience. Thank goodness I have other skill sets.

Oh don’t Expect the higher salary as this is solely for London.
Pros
Discount card. You get this the first day
Cons
Everything but the discount card
Depressing call centre
Customer Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian23 October 2018
I worked in the customer service call center for just under a year, the only reason I stayed for so long was because the salary was better than anywhere else. A typical shift was sitting on the phone for 8 hours a day, while answering emails in any "spare time". You were not allowed to go on break to do anything without getting shouted at to get back on the phone and there were favorites among the management who would get time off the phone to do other work. The managment don't care about you, until you hand in your notice, that is the only time I was ever shown any appreciation was when I told them I was leaving. The shifts are not consistent and you never know the next weeks rota in advance. I do think Lidl are a great company to work for, however this department and their management team are not a good example of that.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Bad management
Great if you don’t have a outside life.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend26 October 2018
Staff are treated like animals
Expected to achieve impossible tasks in ridiculously small time frames.
Stores are dirty
Management are promoted on a who knows who basis
Do as I say not as I do culture.
No care for mental health or preservation of wellbeing
Poor culture.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
Long hours. Short breaks between shifts. Unqualified management. No work life balance
nice place to work
DEPUTY MANAGER STORE (Former Employee) –  RO28 August 2018
I worked at LIDL full-time. (less than 1 year).
Good place to improve your management skills. A place with learn, fun and earn. One of the best work culture place. Team members are good to work with each others.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Long hours, work load is too high, compensation
The only reason anyone joins or stays is because of the pay
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland8 October 2018
Your team will most likely be full of fat middle aged women who moan all the time, young people who just want to work and earn money, people who take their job too seriously and managers who you wonder "how did you get this position?"

You start off with £8.75 which seems alright until you realise that you'll have to do about 5x the work you would be if you worked at Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc and you only earn about 50p extra.

Rotas are made 3 weeks in advance and one day you could be working 6-12 then the next it's 6-4 and then it's 11:30 until 21:30 and then back in at 9 the next morning. It's a shambles and unless you give 3 weeks notice then good luck getting a day off for that doctors appointment you need.

You are guaranteed to work at least 1 day every weekend. Which seems alright until you've worked 12 weeks in a row getting a Friday off and then you're in at 6am on a Saturday and Sunday. There is NO room for a social life.

Oh and that 10 hour shift you're doing? Yeah don't expect anything more than a 30 minute unpaid break for that.
Pros
Pay is decent for a shop but not worth the extra pennies at all
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, bad management and very anti-social.
Not a great place to work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire11 November 2018
I was picker at fruit & veg, generally workplace, management and team wasn't bad but the role itself is totally nightmare.

You are a human loading machine, lifting and stacking everyday more/less 10-15 tons of f&v.
It can destroy your body just over few months. Almost everyone there had some health problems because of very hard nature of the role. After few months in different place I still have bad back thanks to Lidl.

Targets are really high, you can hit them but you will be dead after shift and spent your days off only on trying to recover.
Staff turnover is insanely high, after 6 months I was almost longest working guy there.
Forget about any advance if you are not brown nose or snitch of management.
Pay is decent but they have stupid system of bank hours, during any dead period in bussines they will send you home earlier. Unpaid breaks, poor social/family life, working at late shift, weekeneds and bank holidays (which is paid as normal, no higher rate for overtime as well)

In sum slightly higher hourly rate is not worth to work at Lidl, maybe for young and just starting work or someone who need temporary job.
Pros
10% discount, decent bonus scheme
Cons
no work/life balance, unsociable hours, physically exhausting
Not worth it.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 September 2018
I work as a deputy manager and all I can say is the job simply isn’t worth it. An entry level salary of 26,300 is actually a little more than a tenner an hour pro rata. So the money isn’t as great as they like to make you think. In fact its not enough to keep me there as I am looking to leave. This is to start work at 5am on the early shifts and it’s back breaking work. And get home at midnight on the backshift. On top of that all the responsibility and pressure of the job. A better gig would maybe be shift leader when you aren’t locked in with a 47.5 hour contract like does are. 10 hours days with a half an hour break are the norm and hardly in keeping with the company’s pillars of productivity and efficiency. How can anyone be productive on their 5th 10 hour backshift in a row ?....
The expectations are unrealistic and you are expected to work and produce with the bare minimum of staff and resources. Most of the work in the mornings is just putting the delivery away and shelf stacking and on the evening sitting on a till. ( we have a very VERY busy shop)

There are a few pros. 30 days holiday is generous. Staff discount and job security.

But there is zero work life balance. It is exhausting work and if you have young kids - this ain’t the job for you.

Another positive I must mention is flexibility. I have never once asked for a day off and been refused it. Or holiday time. Maybe I just got lucky with my store manager who is actually very nice.
Pros
Job security. Holiday. Flexible.
Cons
Demands. Shifts. Pay. Hours. Conditions. Breaks.
Be prepared to break your back!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Midlands9 November 2018
A typical day at work would be non-stop putting out stock or slaving away on the tills. Time does go fast but you sure do break a sweat...or a bone.

What I have learned is that Lidl is a place to work if you don't care in putting yourself in harms way and look forward to back pain. The company literally make you work for every single penny! Not to mention remembering PLU codes. It's like the Lidls Bible.

There is zero work life balance and you constantly feel pressurised by other colleagues and management.

The hardest part of the job is the heavy lifting and the 20 mins they give you to put out pallets. If you go over by any minute they just yell at you. I mean, if you're that fussed about going over the time limit why don't you just hire more staff? We're not machines!

I will say it is not a nice place to work even though the only upside is the nice staff and being able to rant to other colleagues about the same problems.

Honestly, not even worth your time, trust me. I chose not to pay attention to all of the bad views about Lidl and just assumed it can't be that bad but lo and behold it was worse than I could have ever possibly imagined.
Pros
10% discount. Nice people to work with.
Cons
A lot of heavy lifting, Constantly pressurised by management, Kiss goodbye to sleep because of 5am starts, Too much work the pay is just not worth it.
Company full of disappointments
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol18 May 2018
If u r ambitious this company and every upper management will drain u out and squeeze ur energy to the last drop.

Upper management are always motivating and gives lots of promises makes u dream big however despite how hard u worked and sacrificed ur life to build a career, promises keeps changing and changing and when u feel demotivated , more false promises for progression

If u are a sales assistant and wanna reach store manager position, expect to spend at least a good 20 years of ur life to get there.

Upper management are always stressing and expect u to be a robot or a superman and do wut u r told no matter if its achievable or not and in return u still never get appreciation

Decided to move on and change job very soon
Pros
Flexible hours sometimes
Cons
Too many to list

Want to know more about Lidl?

Ask a question
Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands24 August 2018
Was involved in the opening of a new warehouse at the time no senior management strong enough to help took on a lot on my back to help the new staff settle in but reach targets required.
Hardest part of the job was counting stock daily and using so many different systems, this needs to be more practical and easier to close down shifts.
Pros
Good involvement & training
Stress, stress and stress
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex14 November 2018
My brief time at Lidls was stressful as you can tell in the review summary.

I'm used to fast paced roles but this one takes the biscuit. 10+ hour shifts with only a 30 minute break and being expected to stay after work consistently due to the work load being too high for the amount of staff in store. Management are shocking as they only look out for themselves. There were many situations which shocked me and now I know longer shop there due to this.

The job is especially mind numbing as you will be held on tills for weeks on end being pushed to scan as quick as humanly possible causing me repetitive strain injuries in my neck and lower back.

Be expected to finish at 12:30am some nights with 5am starts.

The only plus side to the role is the wage paid but you pay for it with your soul.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything apart from the wages
Fast paced, busy but worth it.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsteignton23 September 2018
Good pay, friendly staff and management, staff discount which increases at Xmas time. Good place to work which makes you work hard but pays you well for it.
Pros
Great pay, fair breaks, understanding staff.
Cons
Hard work, relentless work at times.
great money
Customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Standish, UK7 December 2018
the money is good if you work long hours but if your not contracted to many hours money is a stuggle. the management is good they are all organised. lidl is a good place to work.
Pros
work hours round your life
Cons
very early start
Great money but staff and work load is awful.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorking11 September 2018
I’ll tell you why I left. I wasn’t getting any help from anyone. Management would always find something for other people to do, instead of helping me do 7 palets of bakery delivery in the freezer. Sometimes I would spend 30-60 min in the freezer to sort delivery, clean the ice and rubbish. Plus do all the bakes in the time, plus go at the check out to serve a queue of people and re stock all of the shelves. Hours and shift were awful. I’d rather be poor than work with people and an environment like that. The people I worked with were lovely but management just terrible. The area manager that came from Germany was lovely and felt bad for me and the situation. Begging me to stay on my last week.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else
Worst place ever. Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armagh, County Armagh4 December 2018
Worked here and the staff were awful to me, made me feel stupid & left out, bullies. The work you are expected to do is an absolute joke, yes the pay is good but that’s cause you literally break yourself just to complete the work. You only get a 20 minute break for any shift. Tried to tell the manager whenever I was leaving that I felt uncomfortable in work and he did not care. I left most shifts in tears. The shop itself is so unorganised & laid out awful. Do not work here.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, awful staff, rediculous expectations
Retail
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 November 2018
Rewarding career
Opportunities to progress
Fast paced environment
Everyday is different
Various working hours & shifts - includes weekends
Be prepared to get physical working delivery
Ordering management
Pros
Staff discount
Disgraceful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
My review is based on things I have witnessed on numerous stores

Staff not turning up leaving the store in chaos

Rota changes all the time leaving any time away from Lidl unpredictable

TKTs left so long that liquid has leaked from them but told to put the stuff out anyway

Staff in tears

Favouritism to certain staff (getting best shifts and hours)

Higher than average wage is cancelled out by the lack of hours

Area Managers ripping apart all your hard work

Horrible customers. Seriously, I’ve never met so many miserable whinging people in my life

The above also applies to your colleagues as well

Terrible HR team

Pay always wrong

11 or 12 hour shift? You get a 30 minute break

Constant hassle to work harder. I think if they could, Lidl would give managers whips to use

Constant back and muscle pain

Stores are filthy

Just a few pointers but suffice to say, read the other reviews. It’s one of the worst places to work for. It’s dreadful

Having said that, they do pay for your Christmas meal, mine is in 2 weeks. There will probably be a fight as staff detest each other so much.
Pros
£8.75 start, 30 days leave, reasonably secure
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Fun at times but hard work
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Poole5 June 2018
Can be very hard work, some days can be good, some days can be bad, every day is different.. you’re expected to work no matter how many pallets you have in the same amount of time.. targets are unrealistic with the hours given, some staff are expected to do everything with minimal breaks
Pros
Pay for store assistants
Cons
Unrealistic targets, management working to much . Breaks and work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K