Lidl Employee Reviews

they are friendly and helpfully people
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent10 October 2018
They are friendly and helpful people that will help you without a fuss it was a really good job and enjoyed my time at the company they made me feel welcomed
Dreadful, for your sanity, dont do it
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2018
Typical day at Lidl

On a 5 am start? Enjoy seeing a manager lose his temper when the previous shift didn't do all what they said they would and take it out on you.

Realise that at least one person hasn't turned up due to lateness or calling in sick

Doing Meat? Prepare to move incredibly heavy TKT's full of meat on an pump truck that has seen better days.

Open the TKT to be confronted with overloaded trays that are either impossible to pull out, or packets of meat that that just been thrown in there by the depot as they couldn't be bothered to stack it properly.

What's that on the floor or over your hands? Oh, its blood from a split packet.

Have said managers constantly challenging you to stack quicker while he or she is having a smoke outside

Remove out of date meat that wasn't removed the previous shift

Realise you haven't got enough time to do it so you just chuck it into the chiller anyway.

Doing fruit and Veg? Enjoy pulling a 6ft plus pallet of goods on a dangerously leaning tower on another pump truck. There could be 6 of them. Better be fit / strong. You will be physically ruined after it and you day has just begun.

Enjoy further harassment from managers in between their 'off the record' smoking breaks to make sure everything is ready by 8am

If you are not in the 'gang' you will then be destined to spend the rest of the day on tills dealing with constant abuse, inane questions and customers who treat it like a bank by throwing change at you. Best to wear gloves. Customers will complain about queues no matter what. They complain, complain
  more... and complain.

Try and squeeze an UNPAID break in and of you are really lucky, you may not get asked to come back from your break early. Oh, you will be sitting there on your own. There is no 'social' aspect to Lidl

Bit quieter? Close your till and then try to stack a 6ft pallet of ambient goods that has turned up late (again) Get used to the boxes collapsing that you are trying to stack due to poor quality cardboard.

Just started the pallet and suddenly queues are building so you are called back on tills. Spend 45 mins clearing the queue then get back to the pallet. Manager will then ask you why you haven't finished it. You try and tell them you were called back on tills but they wont hear you as they have already judged you, walked off and are now going for another smoking break.

Oh, the shops gone quiet again. That's effecting profit. Any chance you can go home early? (loss of money or hours or both) Yeah, thanks for your hard work but you are no longer needed as we need to save hours.

Get paid at the end of month, then realise they have made an error so you are a day's shift down (£80 - £100). Its ok, you'll get it back in 4 or 5 weeks.

Add to the casual racism throughout the organisation, sexism and being shouted at / humiliated by managers you then realise what a terrible mistake you have made.

You then leave and try and forget about Lidl.

This is just a snippet of the daily nightmare that is your working day. I've witnessed people in tears (when being abused by a customer or shouted at by a manager), people physically destroyed by the weight of the items being lifted or dealing with a stream people who will abuse you at the tills

Don't be fooled by the slightly higher wage. They want their pound of flesh from you. Don't be fooled by the offer of shift manager either, for the princely sum of £1 per hour extra, you will be doing more that the store managers and will be mentally ruined by the end of your shift

I cannot put into words what a nightmare working at Lidl is. For your sanity, cashflow, physical wellbeing don't do it.
Pros
When you leave
Cons
The only reason anyone joins or stays is because of the pay
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland8 October 2018
Your team will most likely be full of fat middle aged women who moan all the time, young people who just want to work and earn money, people who take their job too seriously and managers who you wonder "how did you get this position?"

You start off with £8.75 which seems alright until you realise that you'll have to do about 5x the work you would be if you worked at Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc and you only earn about 50p extra.

Rotas are made 3 weeks in advance and one day you could be working 6-12 then the next it's 6-4 and then it's 11:30 until 21:30 and then back in at 9 the next morning. It's a shambles and unless you give 3 weeks notice then good luck getting a day off for that doctors appointment you need.

You are guaranteed to work at least 1 day every weekend. Which seems alright until you've worked 12 weeks in a row getting a Friday off and then you're in at 6am on a Saturday and Sunday. There is NO room for a social life.

Oh and that 10 hour shift you're doing? Yeah don't expect anything more than a 30 minute unpaid break for that.
Pros
Pay is decent for a shop but not worth the extra pennies at all
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, bad management and very anti-social.
Worked there for a month
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire6 October 2018
From the beginning I knew this company was full of hype. You always hear how good this company is to work for, but after sitting through the induction day and that motivation video was played. I knew this was going to suck! From the get go the managers were absolutely incompetent and we had to wait 5 hours for a break! This is a no no and I feel sorry for the guys that worked with me that day as the culture is built on fear. Bear in mind that all the managers are young and are just “Yes” men/women. The whole thing is wrong and I haven’t met anyone who enjoys being there. They put me on every weekend possible so that stopped me getting high!

Apply though this was just my experience. Thank goodness I have other skill sets.

Oh don’t Expect the higher salary as this is solely for London.
Pros
Discount card. You get this the first day
Cons
Everything but the discount card
Nice and cool place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Feltham5 October 2018
It's a good place to work and kick start the career. The pay is upto the standard and is fun as the collegue are understanding. overall, team work is the key.
Pros
London allowance
Good Job
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset30 September 2018
Very good place to work, never boring. Great team of staff.
Recently trained in the Bakery. Hardest part of the job is speed, getting the delivery out in good time. Most enjoyable, serving the regular customers at the till, having great conversations as I quickly scan the items.
Pros
Having a great team to work with.
Cons
possibly waiting a bit too long for a break in busy periods
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes25 September 2018
The people make the place worth while. The salary is good as well, they pay living wage - the job is not that hard. The hours flexible so you can make it work around you.
Pros
Staff discounts
Wouldn't advise working here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester24 September 2018
As soon as I joined I didn't feel welcomed by any but one manager and the people who worked the same as me. Didn't get fully trained, and when I did it was one thing after the other for 3 days max, no time to actually take in what I've been shown to learn. Was shown a quick video and was pressured to complete a test in under 10 minutes before being put on tills from then on. Expected to learn and know everything in a month that someone would know after working there half a year. Was never good enough and forced to be fast paced when serving even if the customer was struggling which still wasn't enough. If they don't like you they will find a way to get rid of you. Know a few people that worked here and left for these reasons.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
Fast paced, busy but worth it.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsteignton23 September 2018
Good pay, friendly staff and management, staff discount which increases at Xmas time. Good place to work which makes you work hard but pays you well for it.
Pros
Great pay, fair breaks, understanding staff.
Cons
Hard work, relentless work at times.
Nice job to work
Warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire20 September 2018
A nice place to work, I rated 2 stars as job work/life balance because after noon shift doesn't let you do anything outside of work. I recommend this job
Pros
You are respected and able to advance
Cons
You need to work at least 10 hours a day for some money
Fun and enjoyable
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare18 September 2018
When I worked there I got put in meat and poultry to pick orders and drop them in the right bay on the right time at a pick rate of 750 per hour but I got bullied by this one bloke and I would tell the boss and he would speak to the bloke but the bloke never listened so I left
Pros
Free stuff
Cons
Long days
Not worth it.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 September 2018
I work as a deputy manager and all I can say is the job simply isn’t worth it. An entry level salary of 26,300 is actually a little more than a tenner an hour pro rata. So the money isn’t as great as they like to make you think. In fact its not enough to keep me there as I am looking to leave. This is to start work at 5am on the early shifts and it’s back breaking work. And get home at midnight on the backshift. On top of that all the responsibility and pressure of the job. A better gig would maybe be shift leader when you aren’t locked in with a 47.5 hour contract like does are. 10 hours days with a half an hour break are the norm and hardly in keeping with the company’s pillars of productivity and efficiency. How can anyone be productive on their 5th 10 hour backshift in a row ?....
The expectations are unrealistic and you are expected to work and produce with the bare minimum of staff and resources. Most of the work in the mornings is just putting the delivery away and shelf stacking and on the evening sitting on a till. ( we have a very VERY busy shop)

There are a few pros. 30 days holiday is generous. Staff discount and job security.

But there is zero work life balance. It is exhausting work and if you have young kids - this ain’t the job for you.

Another positive I must mention is flexibility. I have never once asked for a day off and been refused it. Or holiday time. Maybe I just got lucky with my store manager who is actually very nice.
Pros
Job security. Holiday. Flexible.
Cons
Demands. Shifts. Pay. Hours. Conditions. Breaks.
Lidl Waterlooville
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterlooville, Hampshire17 September 2018
Friendly place to work, however the shift patterns could be improved. Hard work but team make it worthwhile. They have been know to swap your work location without much notice, didn't happen to me but some colleagues not pleased.
Pros
team
Cons
shifts
Hostile & Stressful Work Culture. Would NOT Recommend.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 September 2018
Management are under severe pressure from higher management and stress staff out on a daily basis by humiliating us and pressurising us to scan super fast even when customers are struggling to keep up and complaining that we are scanning ridiculously fast.

You never get to finish a shift on time. I usually finish 2 hours after my original time.

Poor management. They never survive at Lidl for more than 3 months and while they are here, they're so miserable and stressed. I've worked with over 10 store managers in less than a year.

You are on your feet the entire day. You don't get a second to stop and drink some water unless you are on your break (which by the way, you are lucky if you even get)

No training provided AT ALL - you just have to figure everything out yourself or ask a more experienced colleague about every little thing because managers just let you get on with it from your first day without helping you and then they complain & humiliate you behind your back if you make a small mistake.

Shifts are changed last minute (the day before) and they won't alert you so you have to keep checking the rota.

Managers do not appreciate staff's effort one bit. They just always find something to complain about.

Managers always gossip about staff. You end up hearing about it through the grapevine anyway.

Hostile work environment. Wouldn't recommend. Only OK if you are desperate for a job.
Pros
Staff discount, uniform, every minute is paid
Cons
Unpaid breaks, poor management, horrible work culture, highly stressful
Good money for hard work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London13 September 2018
Great salary benefits, and staff are looked after to a point... it is very hard to advance in this job and does take a while however it is easy to catch on to things such as turn-over and till PLU'S
Great money but staff and work load is awful.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorking11 September 2018
I’ll tell you why I left. I wasn’t getting any help from anyone. Management would always find something for other people to do, instead of helping me do 7 palets of bakery delivery in the freezer. Sometimes I would spend 30-60 min in the freezer to sort delivery, clean the ice and rubbish. Plus do all the bakes in the time, plus go at the check out to serve a queue of people and re stock all of the shelves. Hours and shift were awful. I’d rather be poor than work with people and an environment like that. The people I worked with were lovely but management just terrible. The area manager that came from Germany was lovely and felt bad for me and the situation. Begging me to stay on my last week.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else
Empresa agradável
Assistente de cliente (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire7 September 2018
A única coisa que não gostei foi de alguns clientes, pois não tinham qualquer respeito pelos assistentes. De resto, é bastante boa.
Hard work but very rewarding
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  London5 September 2018
Lidl has a superb and constructive atmosphere that rewards its staff for hard work, commitment and innovation. This was readily apparent in all parts of the UK operation.
Avoid!! Carrot dangling extraordinaires. Diabolical management
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  South east, Kent2 September 2018
Worked for lidl for 6 years and it took the biscuit out of me until the very end!!
Over my time there I was duty manager, freshness co’ordinator, non food co’ordinator, training mentor and what at times, felt like the company lapdog.

Management have not got a clue how to run a Lidl store anymore. Too many ex Asda/Sainsbury’s managers brought over who haven’t done a days work in their life and don’t understand the culture. Absolute egotistical, lazy, waste of space shirt wearers who could not run a bath with instructions.

I started in 2012 worked my way up to duty Manager within a year, was promised promotion to assistant manager after 2.. waited, working my absolute BOOTS off day in day out for the next 3 years.
This included 16 hour shifts, 24/7 on call, running the opening and closing of the store single handedly. Handling visits from the BOARD of DIRECTORS single handedly. Taking grillings and canings for issues out of my control. Coming in to the late shifts and picking up the mess from my own managers, for a measley £1 extra an hour.. running the entire store from a till while the assistant managers sit in the office drinking coffee.. I could go on and on. There is no exaggeration here.

5 years on and no promotion came, they then eventually gave the position to someone completely undeserving, for the sheer fact he spent half his shift out the back with the rest of the ‘managers’ doing sweet eff all!
Carrot dangling culture in Lidl is their ONLY form of motivation!

Lidl is company who’s business model is built on productivity and efficient working.. something
  more... the management seem oblivious to, yet are the first to pipe up and expect u to stay late when the work doesn’t get done due to their inactivity..

Iv worked in multiple Lidl stores over the years but ASHFORD is the worst hands down. Avoid work at the Ashford lidl.. unless u enjoy doing the work of 3, self mental health deterioration and watching your managers drink coffee.. Smokers have free reign over how long there breaks are. Work is NEVER done correctly. Training is absolutely non existent and the average longevity of an employee is less than a year.
The smart ones get out quick.

Work life balance non existent.
Long hours, short breaks.
Unachievable target sets for certain work

My only positive I could give about the place is the time goes very quick. And the work is very physically demanding if you like working yourself into the ground while the lazier staff take an easy ride and receive all the opportunities.

Avoid ASHFORD.
Pros
Time flies, physically demanding, money is good
Cons
Diabolical management. Carrot dangling extraordinaires.
Wish I never joined in the first place.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, Monmouthshire29 August 2018
My time at Lidl was not enjoyable at all. Every day, I was discriminated by all staff members, including the managers and higher roles. I am self conscious as it is about myself, and have been taking medication to help my anxiety and depression as a result of working at Lidl. I advise anyone to not think of the money they offer, but to think of their general mental health first because places like Lidl, ruin people's lives.
Cons
Everything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K