Lidl Employee Reviews

Would not recommend management with this company unless you live to work.
assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North West19 April 2018
Unsociable hrs, 50 hrs plus per wk and expected to do extra. Pay not good when you actually work out your hrly rate. Regularly working through breaks.
Rotas two wks in advance when should be three.
Lack of communication, team spirit and team development.
Management rule with a tell approach.
Pros
discount off shopping
Cons
long hrs
good role but robotic
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Braintree18 April 2018
enjoyed my time here but found it very restrictive to grow as a manager. I think it is best for colleagues who are starting out in their management career
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor work life balance
Boaring
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 April 2018
Expected to work silly shift patterns with no regard for family or social life.
Over worked In a repeatative mind numbing job
Get stuck on tills most of your shift with a poxy 30min break.
Told to work at a stupid fast pace, with most managers moaning about staff
Keep moving staff around to other stores which can create a unstable environment.
Pros
Good basic salary
Cons
Early starts late nights
Bad Manager
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nottingham15 April 2018
Awful Management, expect the world and never give any praise for the hard work you put in. Pay is great but expect to be treated like a worthless slave for it
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
great benefits not a good work life balance
graduate scheme (Former Employee) –  England12 April 2018
long hours, no work life balance, expected to work over 50 hours in one week with no recognition for the favours you have given. changing as a company however never follow through.
Long hours, stressful demands
Customer Assistant/Cashier & Trainee Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodley12 April 2018
At first it was a job like any other, however, 10-hour shifts with possible overtime are exhausting. I was encouraged to be a duty in March 2018 manager (supervisor), I was informed they would be a training programme into the summer after applying. I was given disjointed crash-courses from different members of staff and thrown into the metaphorical deep end of being a duty manager over 2 weeks before the application was even available. I still don't know what I am doing after nearly a month of having things hurriedly explained to me and the interview for the job is next week!
ok if you do not have any other commitments
sales assistant/duty manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire11 April 2018
its ok unless you have a uni or college course along side it and then they say they will accommodate but they do not. make you work over your contracted hours. Change the rota without telling you.
Pros
good pay
difficult company to work for in the end
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk10 April 2018
when I first started the job was enjoyable, but then the criteria for each member of staff changed, less time to work delivery, having to scan more items per minute. it became stressful working there
Pros
good rates of pay
fast
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penicuik9 April 2018
Every day would be busy and fast-paced. Being kept busy and learning new roles. Would be kept busy as soon as you entered the store. The best part was the smell of the bakery.
Cons
very long hours to very short hours
toxic environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
manager yelling at staff and customers, manager does not give you enough hours (makes you compensate by sending you to other stores), bad company culture
Cons
everything
Stressful, Bad Managment
Selector (Current Employee) –  Exeter Airport7 April 2018
I found the job to be highly stressful, with expectations to be to high for the job that is done. Payroll are always losing holiday forms or messing up pay.
Terrible.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
The training programme they tell you about, called LEON, is a lie. You use it a couple of times before they abandon it. Shifts change on a daily basis. Hours are unreasonable and they expect you to stay past your shift every shift (even if you're randomly scheduled to finish at midnight, you could end up there until 2AM).
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
long hours, 10 hour shifts only have a 30min break.
Dead end job
Warehouse Operative/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham4 April 2018
A typical day at work ~ for me is doing the same mundane, boring task.. picking boxes. I seem to be one of very few people tidying up after the idiots I have the displeasure of working with. I also expect be harrased by managers because my pick rate is dropping, but the things they don't seen to realise is that I am not slacking off, I'm simply having to stop what I'm supposed to be doing in order to keep the work place tidy and respectable.

What I learned at Lidl ~ I have worked at Lidl for several years now, I have learned nothing which can allow me to climb the ladder there, nothing which I didn't already know either, they have not entertained me at all despite me asking countless times.

Management ~ An absolute shambles.

Workplace culture ~ I feel like I work with children, I am surrounded by people who don't want to work, and it affects my performance as a result.

The hardest part of the job ~ The repetativness, the people I have to work with, my bosses.. I can't choose which is worse so I'm just going to pick them all.

The most enjoyable part of the job ~ Going home each day and getting my pay at the end of the month.

I can't reccomend working here if you value yourself as a person who wants to progress and succeed in life, because at Lidl you will not reach those goals.
Pros
They always ask for overtime ~ if that's what you're into.
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible management, terrible co-workers
very busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
i enjoyed working at lidl has it was always busy and i was always on the go i mostly worked on tills but also did some shop floor work which was decarding the shelves and stacking the shelves.
Awful company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend1 April 2018
The moment you join "Team Lidl" is the moment your life gets forced to take a back seat. They "pay well" only if they give you the hours you are contracted for (which is rare). After a certain time, YOU OWE THEM money for them not giving you your contracted hours. You are expected to work all hours of the day, and are treated like a pariah if you dare form an opinion of your own. If it's a quick quid in your pocket you want, join Lidl. If it's job satisfaction, avoid like the plague. And if you have a family to consider, Lidl is definitely not for you.
Pros
decent hourly rate
Cons
treated like second rate beings, rarely given contracted hours, expected to work all hours of day and night
Very bad and hate Christians
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
This company do a Greek Range and they used the Church cupolas which is a famous Greek Church, but they photoshopped the cross from the church to put on their Greek range. This is so disrespectful. When asked they said they didn't want to be religious biased, but they sell Halal meat and other religious paraphernalia. I had to leave, I could not work for this disgusting company.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
They hate Christians
Challenging workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaunas30 March 2018
It requires a quite amount of flexibility, but the salary is really competitive. One of the biggest disadvantages is unstable lunch breaks, e.g. you can get lunch at 9 pm.
Cons
Unpredictable lunch break time
It was a chill place as my colleagues helped me out to understand the basics that required for the job
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greece28 March 2018
I had to carry all the time, but that wasnt a problem. My colleagues was very helpful and motivated. I used to work there part time as I was still student.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Worst company to work for, would not recommend
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2018
They tell you lies, they teach you not to respect the customers and the tricks they teach you do not favour the customer, I am surprised they are still in business. I am now at Asda alot better and happier
Pros
staff card
Cons
The Management training, rubbish
Duty Manager
Duty Manager and Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 March 2018
Really hard work
Sometimes working for free because we did not hit the sales target
Bad personal life
Sometimes had shifts ending at midnight and the following day starting at 5 in the morning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41K