Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 868 reviews matching the search See all 4,237 reviews
Crab Mentality
Chiller picker (Former Employee) –  Exeter Airport9 December 2018
You won't get anywhere working for this company. Lie all the time to you, work life balance is non existent. You wanna get on in this Depot (Exeter) Be rubbish @ ur job , Be fori@gn, Be a female. Thats the truth. Avoid unless you are desperate.
Pros
Free fruit and tea/coffee
Cons
Everything else
Very Productive
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crowborough, East Sussex9 December 2018
The productive company, unfortunately, the company was unable to maintain a deal. You can do everything you are asked to do despite this the manager can be rather unfair.
great money
Customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Standish, UK7 December 2018
the money is good if you work long hours but if your not contracted to many hours money is a stuggle. the management is good they are all organised. lidl is a good place to work.
Pros
work hours round your life
Cons
very early start
Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Great Yarmouth7 December 2018
Management treat us like rubbish!

10 hours shifts with only 30 minutes break, you’re going to work like a slave and they will even control when you go to the toilet!

If you ask to go to the toilet out of your break time, they will reduce your break time...
Pros
Cons
They change the rota and don’t inform us
culture
confidential (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom6 December 2018
A great company that mostly rewards hard work and success. Traditional hierarchy with top down approach albeit limited autonomy with massive responsibility can bring you into conflict as this wil impede your ability to successfully cmplete your objectives.
Disgraceful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 December 2018
My review is based on things I have witnessed on numerous stores

Staff not turning up leaving the store in chaos

Rota changes all the time leaving any time away from Lidl unpredictable

TKTs left so long that liquid has leaked from them but told to put the stuff out anyway

Staff in tears

Favouritism to certain staff (getting best shifts and hours)

Higher than average wage is cancelled out by the lack of hours

Area Managers ripping apart all your hard work

Horrible customers. Seriously, I’ve never met so many miserable whinging people in my life

The above also applies to your colleagues as well

Terrible HR team

Pay always wrong

11 or 12 hour shift? You get a 30 minute break

Constant hassle to work harder. I think if they could, Lidl would give managers whips to use

Constant back and muscle pain

Stores are filthy

Just a few pointers but suffice to say, read the other reviews. It’s one of the worst places to work for. It’s dreadful

Having said that, they do pay for your Christmas meal, mine is in 2 weeks. There will probably be a fight as staff detest each other so much.
Pros
£8.75 start, 30 days leave, reasonably secure
Run like a sweat shop
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 December 2018
At first i enjoyed the job it was fast paced and always something to do and it's an easy an job..... literally one of the easiest jobs I've had as long as you can keep up with the pace. They have one of the best inductions ive ever seen uniform, name badge etc etc all sorted before I got to my store....... BUT it's not all roses.

If your shift ends at 1pm or 11pm etc.. do not expect expect to leave on time the managers will guilt trip you or make you fear for your job if you don't stay when asked

On 10HOUR shifts you get 30 minutes for a break. You are allowed to take an hour break on a shift over 8 hours....... You try taking an hour break at lidl see what happen they do not like it what so ever.

Managers have really bad ego problems if you don't bend over for them and speak to them like they are royalty or do any overtime they ask (demand) you to do they get really butthurt.

They say they have 3 weeks of rotas up LOL!!! That's a LIE! It doesn't happen and if/when it does they're guaranteed to be changed/taken down soon after they are put up

I was sacked from lidl for being ill. I followed the sickness procudure like I should have gave my sicknotes on time and in person. I went in for meeting with my manager about returning to store on reduced hours he said "thats fine I'll get your hours reduced" I got a letter a few days later dated the day after this meeting saying I was sacked (I was still in probation...... Sneeky)

In short if you want good wages and fast paced work and you don't mind bending over for egotistical babies then this is the job for you.
Pros
Good wages, good induction
Cons
Long hours, forced overtime
Worst place ever. Do not work here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Armagh, County Armagh4 December 2018
Worked here and the staff were awful to me, made me feel stupid & left out, bullies. The work you are expected to do is an absolute joke, yes the pay is good but that’s cause you literally break yourself just to complete the work. You only get a 20 minute break for any shift. Tried to tell the manager whenever I was leaving that I felt uncomfortable in work and he did not care. I left most shifts in tears. The shop itself is so unorganised & laid out awful. Do not work here.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, awful staff, rediculous expectations
Rubbish place
Rdc (Former Employee) –  Exeter Airport4 December 2018
They Don’t even let you have weekends off to spend with your kids when that’s the only time I get to see mine they say they will try and help you out but they never do they say one thing and does another thing or go back on what they say talk about having a stressful life
Pros
Discount card
Cons
Don’t let u have weekends off when u need them
good environment for work
Part-time Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hackney4 December 2018
always busy, new product ever week, but staff are well trained so they can handle the pressure, very good rotation system and stock control expire date check
Pros
free coffee
Cons
long hours are always paid
Work, work, & more work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham2 December 2018
5am starts you are expected to drag out pallets manually with a pump truck that weigh over 200-300kg. While there is an electric pump truck at hand, only management are allowed to use it due to "insurance" purposes. It takes around 45mins for 1 person to finish a large pallete. Management expect it done in 20 mins.

Working around 12 palletes, then you made to drag out the bulks, again manually. Dragging out water pallets and fizzy pop.

Management are oblivious how to do their job. Ordering stock thats not needed. Maxing out stock on shelves then ordering more for it to sit in the warehoue by not going out, creating extra work for the person working stock.

It is your duty to know about the store figures, from sales to financial loss. The departments that incurred the loss, how much loss occured.

You have to know PLU numbers while working on tills (price lookup codes) the short codes for bakery items, fruit and veg without barcodes. If you dont know them, managenent come down real hard on you. You get spot tests every week. There is also trolley tests, a week before the mystery shopper is to arrive.

You dont get your breaks on time, you get breaks often 30 mins before you finish. Which takes the micky on a 7 hour shift.

Do you yourselves a favour, dont work for £8.75 an hour. Only after a year service it will go to £9.45. By then they expect you to take the world on your shoulders.
Pros
Making good friends
Cons
Work doesnt live up to the extra £1 per hour.
good
Customer service advisor (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire1 December 2018
good boys and good girls make good friends and good lovers, why do i have to type a whole essay for working at lidl, its just lidl its never going to be amazing
Friendly, Super welcoming, Overall a great experience
Creative Intern (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London27 November 2018
This was a 3 Month Internship and it was the most welcoming, friendly and helpful company I've worked for so far. I have learnt so much than I expected and incredibly impressed by the organisation and experience the team has.
Pros
Free AWESOME food/other things here and there
Cons
Free food may give you diabetes
Retail
Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London26 November 2018
Rewarding career
Opportunities to progress
Fast paced environment
Everyday is different
Various working hours & shifts - includes weekends
Be prepared to get physical working delivery
Ordering management
Pros
Staff discount
Lovely team but not enough hours!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  South London, Greater London24 November 2018
My store is a lovely place to work regarding the team getting along and regular customers (obviously get the rude customers but oh well) .. since I started employees made an effort to make me feel welcome and I felt part of the team very early on.

What attracted me was the hourly rate - however you don’t get paid that much as my store is small so you don’t really get your hours or that much overtime. My contracted hours is 25 and there’s been times when they have only scheduled me for 12 hours for the whole week which is disgraceful. They like to change the rota a lot without letting you know, even after discussing with managers that you would appreciate a text to let you know the changes but they can’t even be bothered to do that.

Another downside is that they are very specific with who they want to train up & if they don’t teach you bakery or delivery you are stuck on self checkout for your whole shift and if you’re lucky they might let you go on the till and serve customers! It’s very long standing up and staring at people buying products for a 8 hour + shift and it gets very boring! It would be better if the self checkout was split evenly!

However the 10% discount is okay, the work isn’t too hard and you get free tea and coffee in the staff room. I would only consider this job if you are a student or a parent not looking for loads of hours as the pay rate looks good but when you’re on a 25 hour contract that’s only £1,034 a month.
Pros
10% discount, good hourly rate £10.20 in London, friendly team.
Cons
Not enough hours if work in a little store, 30 min break goes so quick, being thrown on self checkout all shift.
Be warned unless you enjoy picking one item every 20 seconds forget it
Warehouse Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham21 November 2018
20 seconds might seem like plenty of time right ?
Well when you figure into the fact that they like you to clock in bang on the hour and the radio headsets don't always understand your prompt or command, or allow you any time to get your llop truck safety checked then signed for after you personally safety check it to cover their own arses ... Then there is the fact that the order picking aisles are laid out so the pallets are obviously un packed in reverse order, so in the same aisle as fresh cakes and biscuits is in the same aisle as bleach and other toxic chemicals to make it easier when emptying a pallet in store, I have witnessed people damaging goods to keep their pick rates consistent....
The only thing that the management are bothered about is pick rate pick rate pick rate ..... Everyone is obsessed about it .... Not packing food items so the customer is happy. The upshot from me is that unless you like working at a place that has no regard for the quality of the their wares and you enjoy working in a badly laid out environment for their convenience not to aid your job then crack on. Oh I forgot to mention, unless you enjoy spending your rest days recovering from bad back, and other physical issues from working here APPLY STRAIGHT AWAY
Pros
Easy to get the job
Cons
Human robot, being made to feel incompetent for not hitting targets, dog eat dog regime
company as a whole
SHIFT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kirkcaldy, Fife17 November 2018
good company to work for ,benefits and training good. worklife and homelife balance only down side. very demanding job ,have to be fully flexible about availibilty.
Easy enough very repetitive
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Holytown16 November 2018
Driving llops to pick orders for the stores can be very repetitive but not hard at all. Managers are good very helpful if you have any problems. 40 or 30 hour contracts
Pros
Good managers, good work colleagues, decent wages for the job when correct, good job security
Cons
Wages always wrong, very repetitive, location can be hard to get to
Stress, stress and stress
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex14 November 2018
My brief time at Lidls was stressful as you can tell in the review summary.

I'm used to fast paced roles but this one takes the biscuit. 10+ hour shifts with only a 30 minute break and being expected to stay after work consistently due to the work load being too high for the amount of staff in store. Management are shocking as they only look out for themselves. There were many situations which shocked me and now I know longer shop there due to this.

The job is especially mind numbing as you will be held on tills for weeks on end being pushed to scan as quick as humanly possible causing me repetitive strain injuries in my neck and lower back.

Be expected to finish at 12:30am some nights with 5am starts.

The only plus side to the role is the wage paid but you pay for it with your soul.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Everything apart from the wages
Do not work here!!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London11 November 2018
Well, where do I start.

The role of a Customer Assistant will completely ruin you. It will effect your health (mentally and physically), financially, you will be sworn at, insulted, witness racism, sexism and incredible amounts of back stabbing

I’ve worked in 4 different stores and it’s always the same.

Physically, I know of at least 2 people who are not only in their twenties but also have to wear back supports. God knows how they will be in their 50’s or up

Pallets can weigh in excess of 250 kilos each so if you are pulling 6 of them around the store. Well, you do the maths...

There is constant pressure to stack the pallets in a certain time. Mixer pallets are the worse, they can take ages and the stuff on there is in different parts of the store.

It is relentless. You rarely get a chance for a breather. There’s is a constant diet of energy drinks and ciggies in the mornings to get you through it. This is the 5am shift.

By 8am, you then have to prepare yourself for the customers despite being physically exhausted.

At least 80% of them are the worse that this country has to offer. You will serve rude, impatient and at least one drunk customer a day and a majority of them pay by cash which looks like it’s been buried in a garden for the last couple of years. Customers moan about everything especially the queues. Store theft is rife. You have to say good morning and most will just ignore you.

You have to scan 30 items a minute. You can’t win, customers complain you are scanning to fast for them to pack but they fail to understand that they are supposed
  more... to pack their bags on the shelf behind the tills. An 80 year old woman cannot pack quick but lidl don’t care. Queues also build up due to customers struggling to understand that you need to pay for the shopping. They never have enough money so ask you to scroll through the list to delete the item. That item will be a ‘put back’. Unfortunately, it will then turn into a ‘write off’ as you won’t get time to put it back! 100s of pounds of goods are wasted each day.

Card declining is commonplace as well. Woe betide you if someting is 5p too much. Customers will argue for ages (and let the queues build up) about any discrepancy.

Oh, there is no customer service desk. If a customer wants a refund they have to queue up. When it’s their turn you have to call the manager down to authorise it. The rest of the people in the queue will then get irate.

You may end up on the till for 5 or more hours straight. It drives you crazy but you can’t get off. I’ve known someone who has wet themselves as they wasn’t allowed off the till to go to the toilet

Financially, you cannot rely on a constant wage each month due to hours being cut if the store is doing poorly that day or for other reasons.

Let me explain, you are on a 30 hour a week contract. Lidl pay you on the basis that you will do 130 hours a month. However, this starts to fall apart if it’s a 4 week month. You cannot do 130 hours as you can only do 120 hours. Lidl will pay you your contracted hours that month. Sounds great doesn’t it? , the following month they take that 10 hours back off you. This is over £100 if you are in London. Can you afford to take a hit of £100? Of course, you can try and make up that 10 hours but chances are you can’t if the store isn’t making any money. Lidl will do all they can to save money and as a customer assistant, you will be the one to pay for it.

As for racism and sexism, it is rife. From abusing the delivery driver for being late (despite bad traffic) to making lewd comments about female staff. Women spend most of the days on till.

You don’t get shoes supplied so you have to buy your own. You will probably get through 2 pairs a year. They don’t give you any uniform allowance on your wages either.

Oh, it’s not all great for store managers either.
Area managers will come in to rip apart all your hard work despite having no idea how to run a store themselves.

There is a real problem with people ringing in sick or just not turning up having left for a better job.

Seriously, don’t join Lidl. Yes, they pay a bit more but if it’s at the cost of your health, mental well-being, social life, relationship and financial situation it’s not worth it. Look elsewhere.
Pros
10% discount card and 30 days leave
Cons
Physically damaging, financially ruining, no social life, awful customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K