Leyland SDM Employee Reviews in London

Leyland SDM were so much better than i expected
I very much enjoyed working at Leyland. From the very first interview until my last day, they were very professional and friendly. Their training schedules were excellent and frequent. I felt at home immediately. I was there for only a short time because of health reasons. They did everything they could to try and accommodate my needs. I'm very impressed with both management and staff
Terrible
Carpenter/Joiner (Former Employee) –  London3 December 2019
Was part of the in house building team. Treated like rubbish cause I was of different nationality comparing to the team. Felt left out and on my own without any help.
Official response from Leyland SDM
18 December 2019

Thank you for sharing this feedback. We celebrate the diversity across the business and take any comments of this nature seriously. I would welcome the opportunity to listen to your concerns and comments in more detail. Please feel free to contact me on a confidential basis through my work email or by telephone via Head Office. Ryan Kent, Recruitment & Talent Manager.

Great Company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London28 November 2019
Leyland have been very welcoming to me since my first day. I knew everything that I needed to get started. I have been involved in technical training as well as working in the store and the warehouse.
My opinion’s and ideas have been taken into account and I feel like I can really make a difference.
Proactive, interesting, fast changing business
United Kingdom (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London11 November 2019
Strong paint (paint colour mixing, colour trends and design), DIY product knowledge and technical skills. (plumbing, flooring and lightening)
Working with suppliers, manufactures and contractors, managing orders, stock level and providing technical support necessary.
A hands-on, fast paced approach with a ‘can do’ attitude.
The attitude that the ‘customers come first and always right’.
Nice company but need more salary
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 August 2019
Good company for start your self, but some times to much physical work, lifting heavy materials , also in dust ;/ Salary might be better, ony team and people which work with you can make you happy
Is a very stressful and unprofessional working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 July 2019
This is a family friendly company with low wage and lots off pressure from the first day of employment.

You will never believe how hard is can be this job until your first day of employment.

Unnecessary pressure and unnecessary stress from the first day.

Your first month wage 8.30/ h, extra hours paid by x1.25, Sundays x1.50.

Never enough stuff in most of the stores 2-3 workers couping with 200-300 frustrated customers and warehouse.
Lifting and carrying daily long distances 2-3 palettes of (25 kg) paint, bags of plaster, sand, cement etc., If the store is small will be always in the customers way.

This company is not valuing his employees.

They don't pay sick leave when the main door is always large open straight away to the street, no air conditioning no heather in the store.
Terrible working condition extremely hot in the summer extremely cold in the winter.

The only real training what you will get will be cooping with stress training and be prepared to be humiliated training by customers and managers.

Leadership will always find new targets to achieve to prove how unhappy they are with your services week by week.

All 20 stores are in budget deficiency, and you will need to improve sales with 60% on the multi sales with no discount for customers anymore and no £500 for surveys, if not you will never be advanced.

This is why 50-75% of employees are living this company.
Pros
Extra hours
Cons
Under paid
Don't do it
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 May 2019
Worked here over year now and still not respected by anyone from shop level to higher management more and more work everyday pressure on staff to get all done with no reward
Cons
A previous SME slowly transgressing to a faceless corporate entity within a larger group.
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 April 2019
Leyland SDM was a good SME to work for. It had questionable Management Techniques, but I helped them slowly move from the 18th to 20th Centuries in employee relations.
Leyland SDM were taken over by Grafton Group Plc in February 2018.
Initially, things changed for the better with old and outdated management techniques being discarded for something more creditable.
A typical day included many problems, especially those created by the poorly integrated computer systems.
I managed to change the culture in my area from one of fear to one of enjoyment, which resulted in a much better working environment, where productivity increased as people learnt to enjoy coming to work in the area. It became so good that others wanted to join.
After a while the hoped for improved pay and conditions never materialised leading to demoralised employees over the business and a high staff turnover amongst drivers, store and warehouse staff.
Slowly Leyland adopted the stifled Corporate working practices of Grafton Group and all the restrictions and petty rules that came with it. Grafton Group Plc have introduced the practice of immediate termination of contracts where people vanish out of their jobs one day never to reappear.
I would not recommend working for this organisation to anybody!
Pros
There are some good employees left in a growing business.
Cons
Long Hours, poor rates of pay and a management style that does not respect staff and actually stinks!
Overworked and underpaid
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London25 March 2019
A dated company. Most competitors have zoomed ahead leaving Leyland playing catch up, despite having only 21 stores. Shops are generally falling apart, poorly laid out and just not very pleasant to work in.
There's never enough staff due to them all leaving at an alarming rate but the people upstairs can never work out why.
Pros
Most staff and customers are cool
Cons
Low pay, long hours, repetitive, little to no training, backwards and dated till system, seems to be very little chance of progression unless you kiss butt, multi-save and other in-store targets are generally unachievable
Ok job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 February 2019
More of a stop gap job with a high turnover of staff.

nice enough to work for but was looking for a new jobe the whole time I was there.

maybe different stores have a differtne enviorment
productive and fun place to work
Warehouse Operative/Picker (Former Employee) –  London13 May 2018
Good place to work managers and supervisors very polite and helpful
emplyees and workmates very polite and make the workplace a good place to work.thanks
Diy/paint shop
Sales-Warehouse Assistant (DIY, Paint) (Former Employee) –  London12 September 2016
As a Sales assistant at LSDM gave me the oppurtunity how to deal with customers, even in a busy store and warehouse (picking, packing, goods in).the most enjoyable part of the job is mixing choosen colour for customers and find out the right soloution for them.
typical day at work
Senior Sales and Decorators Consultant (Former Employee) –  London26 May 2016
Assisting decorators/retailers with their needs and exceed their expectations.
Building relationships with suppliers, traders, interior designers, architects as well as retailers.
Pros
unpaid Lunch
Cons
1 hour break
excellent team work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2016
A typical day at work is very busy. There is always something to be getting on with. I have learned that customer service is very important. The hardest part of the job is learning new products, there is a lot to know from paints to plumbing. The most enjoyable thing about this job is the team, everyone works well together and we help each other out as much as possible.
Pros
learning new skills
Cons
difficult customers
productive
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG17 January 2016
A typical day at work starts with the adjustment of the mixing colours machines, after that i fill the shelves with the warehouse products, meanwhile i serve and advice customers when necessary
I've learned a lot about interior designs under the guidance of my manager.
The most enjoyable part is having fun with my co-workers
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
Hard work made easier by the good team
Van driver/ warehouse operative (Former Employee) –  London, ENG16 November 2015
Busy expanding company with good opportunities to grow within.
Long working hours needed to cope with the demand of the costumers.
Overall well managed and staff well selected by HR department
Pros
Good management and staff
ambiente di lavoro rilassante
assistente alle vendite (Former Employee) –  London, ENG29 May 2015
puro customer service, scieglievo con il cliente il giusto prodotto e colore e oltre a spiegare le modalita' di utilizzo dello stesso preparavo se necessario i mix di colore con un mixer elettronico.davvero un bell'ambiente.
Friendly work Colleagues
Warehouse Administrator (Former Employee) –  London, Hacnkey24 March 2015
A typical day duties: prepare paperwork for drivers, send orders to suppliers, send emails, answer phone calls.
I have learned to manage my time, prioritize things and work well under pressure.
Sometimes it was too stressful as you have to deal with so many things at the same times also long hours. But people were nice and helpful.
Pros
Early finish on Fridays