Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Viel gelernt
Assistenzärztin - Pädiatrie (Former Employee) –  Greater London15 February 2019
Ich habe jeden Tag bei der Visite auf Station mitgearbeitet und weiterhin die Plaene darin verwirklicht. Ausserdem durfte ich Patienten in der Notaufnahme behandeln, und bei einer Wöchendlichen Sprechstunde ambulante Patienten behandeln.
Innovative and resourceful
Endoscopy Booking Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  London, UK16 January 2019
I have been working here for nearly 15 years and have learnt, enjoyed and continue to enjoy working here.
The staff are friendly and helpful but the signage of areas could be improved.
Great place to learn and terrific Management
Emergency Department Nurse - Band 6 (Current Employee) –  London, UK9 December 2018
The Lewisham ED is a great place to work and learn. During our induction to the Trust, we were told that the local population is among the poorest in London which affects the conditions that patients present with. Though there were challenging times, during the course of my stay I learned a great deal about evidence-based practice and the importance of teamwork.

My managers in the Lewisham emergency department are amazing. You can count on your seniors to lend a hand and offer instruction when needed. Carol and Sarah are my Matrons and they are always there to listen to their staff.

The workplace culture in our department is competitive and lacks a bit of cohesion. The current nursing roster is composed of people from all over the world, Filipinos, Portuguese, Spanish, Ugandan, Caribbean to name a few. It leads to friction sometimes but overall I find my colleagues to be very helpful and compassionate.

Of the few disappointments I have with nursing in the United Kingdom in general is the salary. Though this is offset by the amount of education provided by the hospital, this too has recently been affected with funding slashed y 50%. I feel that nurses are currently undervalued and not much is being done to help nursing as a profession.

The best days are the ones when you overcome a challenging day or week and come out more knowledgeable and more patient than before. I find that reflecting on those days when you are under-resourced and facing difficult patient presentations are the ones where you learn the most and grow as person and as a professional.
Pros
Management and Colleagues
Cons
Workplace culture and Salary
Pay is good for what it is but don't expect too much in terms of the work.
Medical Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 October 2018
Typical day at work could start at 8.00, or 9.00 or 10.00 or 12.30 and shifts usually lasted 7.5 hours.

Management ranges from absent to incompetent and they generally have little idea of what is going on. There is too much micromanaging of shifts and staff.

Workplace culture has always been cliquey but was much better when i started. It has steadily declined under new management and the constant micromanagement has caused great friction.

The hardest part of the job is trying to meet hourly workload targets whilst using such outdated equipment and software.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that as a bank worker my hours were very flexible. There is also usually always opportunity for overtime, especially during the school holidays.
Pros
Blue Light Card, decent salary.
Cons
Poor management, subpar facilities and outdated equipment.
A very quite and challenging place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woolwich14 September 2018
I had the chance to work with a lot of patients. My main role involved working with the caterer to get the meal and breakfast ready. as well as going around the ward and talking to patients.
An Ok place to work
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Woolwich, Greater London14 August 2018
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital is an ok place to work although it is situated in the middle of nowhere so nothing to do lunchtimes. Transport links are good.
Most jobs revolve around a 37.5 hours a week and if you are proactive then the Trust training is very good.
Pros
Training
Cons
Stressful with low morale everywhere
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 August 2018
Pros
-Hardworking staff usually willing to go the extra mile.
-Hit the ground running atmosphere so you learn the job very quickly.

Cons
-Low morale
-End of lifestyle equipment.
-Very tight budgets.
Work Experience Student's review
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London16 June 2018
I 'worked' briefly on a ward of Lewisham Hospital for 2 weeks for work experience which encompassed a breadth of roles, including shadowing a nurse and GP and some admin work. The role was unpaid because of this. The hardest part of the job was probably socialising/fitting in as I was only 15 at the time whilst the rest of the employees (except from 2 other work experience students) were significantly older and more knowledgeable which was intimidating initially. From what I witnessed, the workplace culture seemed appropriate and pleasant. The most enjoyable part of the job was observing consultations (and lunch) & the least enjoyable was trying to get patients to take part in surveys.
Pros
Gave me work experience and the staff were kind.
Cons
Role was limited because of my age at the time.
Very good place to work
Lead nurse colposcopist (Current Employee) –  London19 March 2018
Friendly and hard working team
Working towards trust values
Every body counts
Good opportunity for training and development
Excellent nursing cafe
Respect for staff and patients and their relatives
Making very good care available accessible and affordable for the patients
Very good environment and excellent hard working staff and leaders committed to give the best quality of care to patients and family
Very good and effective communication both written and verbal
Pros
Enjoy working with a hardworking friendly team
Cons
Nik
Lewisham Hospital
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London29 January 2018
Friendly staff working hard to care for sick patients with limited resources and basic up to date equipment
Management need fresh blood as you can't run a hospital with staff who have been sitting in the same office for 20 years plus without ever seeing the outside world.Why keep promoting family and friends internally ?
Work culture in some areas resemble the bad old days of the NHS with some staff whinging on about staff rights but sit reading newspapers all day long.A culture of absenteeism and sickness is rife....how many times can staff claim they can't come to work for a broken boiler or a flood...unpaid leave level is utterly ridiculous and holds the hospital to ransom
The hardest part of the job is working with an ageing IT system which is interrupted on a daily basis which equals poor productivity
Most staff are friendly
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Ageing equipment.Culture of Sickness and Abscene
Good learning experience
STUDENT PHARMACIST (Former Employee) –  Woolwich, Greater London27 January 2018
Only work at the hospital for couple of weeks but the time spent at the hospital made me want to go back to working in hospital pharmacy. Had a good time working with the staff
Work review
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Former Employee) –  Woolwich, Greater London15 November 2017
A typical day involves caring for a bay of beds, with an unhealthy mix of calm, lucid patients and mentally unstable ones. There is a good effort to keep its employees up to date on training, but it is inadequately accomplished due to scheduling troubles. Management has a rather minimal, acquaintance-like manner that makes it difficult to approach them for concerns.

Though the work is hard, the team members involved are proactive in promoting sufficient rest to minimise on-the-job stress. Patients will express many demands that force you to improve your decision making and prioritisation skills. In the end, you'll find it easy to smile when your patients express their thanks to you for your hard work.
Difficult but rewarding
Administrator/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Woolwich, Greater London15 November 2017
Very busy and unequipped but also rewarding to work at, staff are mostly friendly and patients often are. As in london pay is better, still understaffed and underfunded. would recommend
Avarage.
Administration Officer (Current Employee) –  Woolwich2 October 2017
Good work-life balance. Generally Salary not amazing due to small increments yearly. NHS discount is available at some stores and some online retailers.
Clerical duties
Admin Officer Brook St Agency Lewisham (Former Employee) –  Peckham, Greater London12 September 2017
I was just temping for Brook street Lewisham but found the office in Peckham full of friendly staff. Made to feel very welcome by all. I have no hesitation in recommending working here.
Pros
Temp if that's what your looking fot
Cons
Temp if that's what your not what your looking for
Great atmosphere
Health Improvement Practitioner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 August 2017
Good on training and life work balance. Its location is perfect with a vast varying degree of ethnicity. Commuting is very easy
Great work culture.!!
Ok workplace
Clerical Officer (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London18 July 2017
Overall the job was a good job, I had a lot of lovely people around me. Sometimes I felt the workload was overbearing with not enough staff in the office.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Overbearing workload
Poor managment throughout Trust and lack of progression.
EPR Programme Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London Borough of Lewisham, Greater London10 July 2017
Poor managment throughout Trust and lack of progression.

A typical day at work: Organise meetings, diary managment.

Learned: Stake holder engagment, project terminology.

Management: Average

Work place culture: Boring

Hardest part: Not being enough work that stimulates me

Enjoyable: Going home
student nurse placement
Student Nurse Placement (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 July 2017
different wards have different vibes. it depends upon where you are situated. i was able to learn different new things everyday. it gave me insight of daily basis of working in hospital. all the nurses and other health care professional i have met so far are very helpful and nice
Pros
able to learn new things
Cons
early working long hours
Receptionist in A&E Department with 12 hour shifts
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 July 2017
Was a nice temping assigment, helping members of the public when they came into A&E. Here I carried out shifts of days and nights which were 12 hours.