LEWISHAM SOUTHWARK COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Not right for me at all.
COURSE LEADER (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
Teaching fashion and textiles, I decided that I did not like the pressure of teaching and the career was wrong for me so decided to leave the college.
Pros
Nice colleagues.
Cons
Very long hours.
Lovely and positive environment
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lewisham Southwark College1 October 2017
Good work environment. Colleagues and teams tend to be warm, welcoming and supportive. On the whole good place to work and you gain a lot of experience.
Pros
Supportive
Cons
Poor salary and benefits
Fun and Professional
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  London8 September 2017
A typical day at work there isn't one, no two days are the same; if you like variety and working in a fast paced environment, this is the organisation for you.
This is a customer focussed further education setting, the work culture is very professional and friendly. There are a mixture of duties which include enrolments, covering reception, and giving information advice and guidance.
I learnt a lot about people whilst working here as you come into contact with a huge variety of people.
The hardest part of the job was not having enough staff to complete the work.
I liked working at this organisation as the other members of staff were fun, and supportive; we shared our knowledge and experiences with each other.
I was frustrated as there was no progression opportunities available.
The most enjoyable was building relations with the students, and seeing them go off to University or work.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
No progression to management
Interesting working Environment
Assisted students in making applications for their chosen course and providing impartial advice and guidance. No two days were the same, you have mild to very extreme. I have learnt that working with learners you always have to be patient, have a high level of understanding and be able to communicate at all levels. Support from Management needs improving. The hardest part of the day for me was not been able to offer a potential learner the course that they were looking for but on a happy ending is having the course to offer and all the information readily available.
Do not bother
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London24 August 2016
A typical day day is work is usually erratic. During my time here I have learned what my limits are and how to deal with very difficult and inwards thinking people typically the management.

On the flipside co-workers are hard working and do the best they can considering the college operates in an atmosphere of low moral and terrible pay. Restructuring and redundancy are continual as the college tries to further to tighten the drawstrings on its threadbare purse. It's dressed up as maximising efficiency which is isn't.

The hardest part of working there was really the innate arrogance of those at the top. For an improved OFSTEAD report a bonus of £2.50 per team member only backs this up; how this is justified when employing interim directors on 100K contracts is extraordinary.

The most enjoyable part of working here are the colleagues, getting paid on time (although waiting for point when this doesn't happen- due to financial situation) and leaving at 5.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Beyond poor management
productive work environment
Cook meals (Former Employee) –  Lewisham Central6 February 2016
i enjoy working at the college restaurant because you get the chance to prepare the menu for the day you also get the chance to work with some wonderful upcoming chefs. a typical day includes preparing cooking,serving meals and ensuring work environment is clean and safe. my manager was very trust worthy and just left us to get on with things. i enjoy all parts of my job.
Challenging and Satisfaction
Finance Officer (Former Employee) –  Southwark, ENG15 January 2016
My job was varied, new challenges on a daily basis.
Dealing with urgent queries and meeting deadlines.
Learning to prioritize my workload was essential.
Fun and rewarding
MIS Assistant (Process) (Current Employee) –  South East London2 October 2015
I have been at the College for 9 years and have enjoyed every bit of it.
I have gained various skills working with different members of staff and in various roles.
Pros
Free Gym, Flexible hours
Cons
Financial uncertainty from the Government causes job instability
Rewarding
Lecturer in Health and Social Care (Former Employee) –  London1 June 2015
Delivering teaching and learning, using different methods of delivery, to different groups of learners, considering the needs of the learners. This also include including assessment of their learning, in order to plan the progression route for each learner.
Pros
Flexible and control over your deliery
Cons
Long hours of communting