Lewisham Council

Lewisham Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom35 reviews
There was a group of candidates, we were all given a youth-club to go to assess and then do 2 hour reports for each club, it was very fun socialising with people
Working for the council at times could be challenging but overall I would say I really enjoyed my time there. The interaction with staff and the public combined made each day enjoyable. I had fantastic colleagues and would recommend the environment to all.
Worked as a temporary staff through agency. Horrible place to work, managers treat temp staff like slaves, they don't sign your time sheets on time so you don't get paid when your suppose to. No support or guidance, they just forget about you. All permanent staff complain about how bad their jobs are and advise you not to take a permanent role there. Overall the worst 4 months of my life.
I have worked for Lewisham Council for coming up to 10 years. I have many fond memories. I definitely recommend working for this council. They have a great work ethic.
You have to do your job from the heart. You have to be able to do a lot of things in a short period of time. the hardest part of the job is seeing people suffer at a young age.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
It was an enjoyable job since my job included working with figures and reconciling. Apart from that there was ushering job which entailed collection of tickets and seating customers. This helped me learn about people and gain better customer service skills.
my day at work consist of dealing with residents who are receiving major works to their home. i support them through the process and i am a point of contact whilst the works are taking place. I also deal with comments and observations for the major works and liaising with consultants and the contractors.

my favourite part is seeing the property transformed from run down and tired looking to looking brand new (almost)!
Pros
being onsite
Cons
The typical day at work when things are slow and everyone's behind on the duties I learnt good customer service skills , The management was a bit unorganised at first .The culture is good its a mixed culture The hardest party of a job is when I just started . it was my first day. The first day always the hardest part .. Meeting new people .The most enjoyable part is when you've meet your targets and its home time.
Pros
short hours
Cons
to may hours
I gained vast experience here. I was assigned to different finance teams for 3 months each and we all rotated around. I did payroll, budget monitoring, procurement, central payments, business support, complaints. It was very beneficial as I studied one day a week and worked four. It was the best working and studying experience I have had. I really enjoyed it. There was an understanding when I joined that there was no room for career progression, which I was disappointed but I accepted. I would happily go back to work for Lewisham Council.
Pros
Flexible working hours - experience and education gained
Cons
No career progression - Permanent job
Good days mainly , Learned a lot from management , Management helpful when approached .Good all round culture in workplace overall. nothing too hard in the job remit. great camaraderie between staff and management alike ..
Pros
not many
Cons
un lieu agreable pour travailler mais pas sur le long terme
Pros
repas gratuit
Cons
pas d'avantages en nature
My job can be very stressful as I am working in the field of child protection. It is necessary to be through and ensure that all risk assessments are completed to the best of my ability to effectively safeguard children when they are concerns of abuse and neglect. I work with many different challenges such as parents who misuse substances, have mental ill health, and where domestic violence exists, to name but a few. I sometimes work unsociable long hours. I typically undertake visits and meetings most days. Being a senior social worker I have some managerial responsibility and the more complex cases tend to be passed to me. I am currently responsible for a social work student who is on a degree course.
I feel respected at work and in turn respect others around me. My work place is a happy place to work and it isn't important we look after each other given the work can be quite distressing at times. The hardest part of my job is often the extra hours I do given the volume of work. However I am passionate about the work I do and take pleasure being able to make a positive difference in people's lives. I love how diverse my job is and working with people romp many different backgrounds. I have learnt to be self motivated and organised.
Pros
Making a difference to people's lives.
Cons
The extra hours.
My Typical day at work is spent carrying out administrative duties as I am currently assisting the licensing team involved with the licensing of pubs, clubs, shops carrying out the sale of alcohol, I have previously been involved with issues surrounding Anti-Social Behaviour, Hoarding cases, Environmental Health issues and Trading Standards cases where I would be involved in the seizure of tobacco, alcohol and other fake retail goods being sold to the public. I also have a close working relationship with the police as part of local government partnership working initiative and also working alongside other agencies internally and externally such as the housing team, social services. Management fail on occasion to carry out one to one discussion with staff members and also to carry out welfare checks on staff with personal issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie with some of the team members but the hardest part of the job is dealing with the poor lines of communication. I have learnt over the past 15 years in local government that I am more than capable of adapting to different roles/tasks and I am also a a good team player with a ability to contribute when needed or take a leadership role if required to do so. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the lack of structure. The workplace culture is one of a friendly nature with staff willing to assist each other but with no clear direction.
Pros
A pensionable post, 35 hours a week, friendly and diverse, flexible working hours
Cons
Not a financially lucrative, a lack of direction and planning, a lack of support from senior management.
I worked here on the repair and maintenance team, I would arrive and collect my job sheets for the days work, I maybe pointing, rebuilding damaged walls, paving, concreting, bricking up fire places, putting in airbricks, the work was varied.
I leaned all about brickwork and maintainance work even doing a bit of plastering and assisting other trades like plumbers with the drains l gained a higher National Certificate in building studies.

The culture was busy and male dominated.

The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting.

The most enjoyable part was working in the community who were interested in meeting a woman bricklayer and working inside and outside if peoples homes.
Pros
Pension.
Good hours and pay rate, good managment, the team is friendly , meet different people every day,. The hardest part of the job: sometimes need to lift very heavy staff as a part of the job.
Pros: Work Hours, Work benifits e.g Sick pay, pension,
Cons: most management have a complete disregard for workers, a struggle to even get uniform and PPE. No training provided whatsoever untill a accident happens. Middle management justify their roles by micro managing. Nepotism throughout. Bullying culture amongst management onto staff. Working on the council has its benefits but how the work is carried out and the complete lack of investment in staff and tools is terrible. This seems to be a theme throughout several departments.
Pros
As above...
Cons
As above...
Pros
A friendly and open office environment with mostly friendly people. the management is down to earth and treats all staff well with opportunities to learn daily. we worked closely with our clients and allow for a personal touch.

However, due to cuts workplace can be quite stressful with huge workloads
Pros
good team
Cons
holiday conflicts
I had no problems with my work and management during my many years of working with Lewisham council. If it was not for the the current climate, referring to the global financial crisis, I would have still remained with the council.
Pros
A good local authority to work for if you are not lazy.
Cons
Lewisham council is a local authority that is not wired for the faint hearted.
I appreciated the opportunity they gave me to work with them and the extensions really helped me with my financial situation.

I would recommend the company as a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Salary offered for permanent post wasn't great
good and conducive and good team work. Learnt new skills and currently adapting it to my present job. friendly environment and open plan office area.
Work was good , again customers were friendly and easy to work for, the company was okay yet there wasn't enough work there to keep me on as I was a sub contractor, I had to 20 minute breaks and a an hours break which where all paid so I was great full for that all in all a great work place
Pros
Quick jobs