Lewisham Council Employee Reviews

Exciting
Usher / Cash Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London8 February 2019
It was an enjoyable job since my job included working with figures and reconciling. Apart from that there was ushering job which entailed collection of tickets and seating customers. This helped me learn about people and gain better customer service skills.
fun!
Project Officer for Major Works (Current Employee) –  Lewisham20 January 2019
my day at work consist of dealing with residents who are receiving major works to their home. i support them through the process and i am a point of contact whilst the works are taking place. I also deal with comments and observations for the major works and liaising with consultants and the contractors.

my favourite part is seeing the property transformed from run down and tired looking to looking brand new (almost)!
Pros
being onsite
Cons
It was a good experince working with lewisham council
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London30 October 2018
The typical day at work when things are slow and everyone's behind on the duties I learnt good customer service skills , The management was a bit unorganised at first .The culture is good its a mixed culture The hardest party of a job is when I just started . it was my first day. The first day always the hardest part .. Meeting new people .The most enjoyable part is when you've meet your targets and its home time.
Pros
short hours
Cons
to may hours
Fun, Productive gained vast experience
Finance and Accounting Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lewisham8 October 2018
I gained vast experience here. I was assigned to different finance teams for 3 months each and we all rotated around. I did payroll, budget monitoring, procurement, central payments, business support, complaints. It was very beneficial as I studied one day a week and worked four. It was the best working and studying experience I have had. I really enjoyed it. There was an understanding when I joined that there was no room for career progression, which I was disappointed but I accepted. I would happily go back to work for Lewisham Council.
Pros
Flexible working hours - experience and education gained
Cons
No career progression - Permanent job
Job good
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lewisham20 August 2018
Good days mainly , Learned a lot from management , Management helpful when approached .Good all round culture in workplace overall. nothing too hard in the job remit. great camaraderie between staff and management alike ..
Pros
not many
environnement du travail agreabl
adjoint administratif dans la fonction publique (Former Employee) –  Greater London28 June 2018
un lieu agreable pour travailler mais pas sur le long terme
Pros
repas gratuit
Cons
pas d'avantages en nature
Very rewarding work
Senior Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London19 April 2018
My job can be very stressful as I am working in the field of child protection. It is necessary to be through and ensure that all risk assessments are completed to the best of my ability to effectively safeguard children when they are concerns of abuse and neglect. I work with many different challenges such as parents who misuse substances, have mental ill health, and where domestic violence exists, to name but a few. I sometimes work unsociable long hours. I typically undertake visits and meetings most days. Being a senior social worker I have some managerial responsibility and the more complex cases tend to be passed to me. I am currently responsible for a social work student who is on a degree course.
I feel respected at work and in turn respect others around me. My work place is a happy place to work and it isn't important we look after each other given the work can be quite distressing at times. The hardest part of my job is often the extra hours I do given the volume of work. However I am passionate about the work I do and take pleasure being able to make a positive difference in people's lives. I love how diverse my job is and working with people romp many different backgrounds. I have learnt to be self motivated and organised.
Pros
Making a difference to people's lives.
Cons
The extra hours.
Busy and progressive
Crime enforcement & regulatory officer (Current Employee) –  London31 January 2018
My Typical day at work is spent carrying out administrative duties as I am currently assisting the licensing team involved with the licensing of pubs, clubs, shops carrying out the sale of alcohol, I have previously been involved with issues surrounding Anti-Social Behaviour, Hoarding cases, Environmental Health issues and Trading Standards cases where I would be involved in the seizure of tobacco, alcohol and other fake retail goods being sold to the public. I also have a close working relationship with the police as part of local government partnership working initiative and also working alongside other agencies internally and externally such as the housing team, social services. Management fail on occasion to carry out one to one discussion with staff members and also to carry out welfare checks on staff with personal issues. The most enjoyable part of the job is the camaraderie with some of the team members but the hardest part of the job is dealing with the poor lines of communication. I have learnt over the past 15 years in local government that I am more than capable of adapting to different roles/tasks and I am also a a good team player with a ability to contribute when needed or take a leadership role if required to do so. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the lack of structure. The workplace culture is one of a friendly nature with staff willing to assist each other but with no clear direction.
Pros
A pensionable post, 35 hours a week, friendly and diverse, flexible working hours
Cons
Not a financially lucrative, a lack of direction and planning, a lack of support from senior management.
Enjoyable and rewarding
Bricklayer (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London18 January 2018
I worked here on the repair and maintenance team, I would arrive and collect my job sheets for the days work, I maybe pointing, rebuilding damaged walls, paving, concreting, bricking up fire places, putting in airbricks, the work was varied.
I leaned all about brickwork and maintainance work even doing a bit of plastering and assisting other trades like plumbers with the drains l gained a higher National Certificate in building studies.
The culture was busy and male dominated.
The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting.
The most enjoyable part was working in the community who were interested in meeting a woman bricklayer and working inside and outside if peoples homes.
Pros
Pension.
Good oportunity
Street Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 January 2018
Good hours and pay rate, good managment, the team is friendly , meet different people every day,. The hardest part of the job: sometimes need to lift very heavy staff as a part of the job.
Terrible management from top to bottom
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Environment department5 December 2017
Pros: Work Hours, Work benifits e.g Sick pay, pension,
Cons: most management have a complete disregard for workers, a struggle to even get uniform and PPE. No training provided whatsoever untill a accident happens. Middle management justify their roles by micro managing. Nepotism throughout. Bullying culture amongst management onto staff. Working on the council has its benefits but how the work is carried out and the complete lack of investment in staff and tools is terrible. This seems to be a theme throughout several departments.
Pros
As above...
Cons
As above...
lewisham council
Building Control administrator (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London16 October 2017
Pros
A friendly and open office environment with mostly friendly people. the management is down to earth and treats all staff well with opportunities to learn daily. we worked closely with our clients and allow for a personal touch.
However, due to cuts workplace can be quite stressful with huge workloads
Pros
good team
Cons
holiday conflicts
It was a serious environment because Of their professional work ethics.
My last position was a HMO licensing officer. (Former Employee) –  Catford in Lodon27 September 2017
I had no problems with my work and management during my many years of working with Lewisham council. If it was not for the the current climate, referring to the global financial crisis, I would have still remained with the council.
Pros
A good local authority to work for if you are not lazy.
Cons
Lewisham council is a local authority that is not wired for the faint hearted.
Good job for the time it lasted
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Catford, Greater London25 September 2017
I appreciated the opportunity they gave me to work with them and the extensions really helped me with my financial situation.

I would recommend the company as a good place to work.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Salary offered for permanent post wasn't great
job experience
Senior Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London18 August 2017
good and conducive and good team work. Learnt new skills and currently adapting it to my present job. friendly environment and open plan office area.
As again easy work place
Bricklayer/Builder (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London18 May 2017
Work was good , again customers were friendly and easy to work for, the company was okay yet there wasn't enough work there to keep me on as I was a sub contractor, I had to 20 minute breaks and a an hours break which where all paid so I was great full for that all in all a great work place
Pros
Quick jobs
hard working environment and
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2017
I had a 9am start and every morning and throughout the day up until 5pm when I leave. whenever I step into the office it was always the same environment of people working at there desks or making telephone calls. some had been in since 6 I would make some teas and coffees for my colleagues at when I come in or after lunch breaks.

I would be given my daily tasks and get on with them. I was taught how to enter data and information into the computer system. and made telephone calls to clients.

Apart from having to stuff loads of envelopes with letters and it was long my greatest challenge I attended a meeting with my manager and had to take down notes and at first I wasn't sure what to write down and then I started to listen to what she was talking about and I simply knew the important parts and what needed to be noted for later use.
What you would expect from working for a Local Authority in the current climate
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  London South East, Greater London19 February 2017
My direct manager though has been supportive and co-operative and bent over backwards to help me where possible which is good, especially as I am an agency worker.
Enjoy my job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London23 January 2017
I enjoy working with different client groups, I learn each day how to support individuals better. Its rewarding when your client reaches their personal goals. Great job satisfaction.
Best Job I've Had
Temporary Accommodation Officer (Former Employee) –  Lewisham, Greater London19 January 2017
the Job was just great. the people you got to work with. the way the management treated staff was get. It was overal just a great place to be.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lewisham Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Lewisham Council Reviews by Location