Leonard Cheshire

Leonard Cheshire Employee Reviews in London

London15 reviews
I have worked for Leonard Cheshire for many years, overall I would say it is a good company to work for, the big downfall is salary wages in London barely over the minimum wage and no extras for working nights or weekends.
Staff are constantly told Saturdays and Sundays are part of the normal working week but they will try to make you work more weekends and have days off through the week.

Management would think nothing if it suited them to change your shifts or your hours without any notice, day shifts have been cut In our service from 8 hours to 6.5 hours now leaving staff down on contracted hours and a few years ago staff had money shaved of the hourly rate which put some staff into financial difficulties.

higher management seem only to be bothered about the budget and there is no money in the pot for leisure activities meaning the poor residents have no social life.

Although being stuck in most days the residents are cared for and well looked after and quite often staff will use their own money or time to try and do activities with the residents

Leonard Cheshire is run more like a money making organisation then a charity and the bosses at the top on huge salaries while poor support workers are barely earning a crust for all their hard work, it is definitely the wrong way round.
Official response from Leonard Cheshire
17 June 2020
Leonard Cheshire is committed to paying all our employees fairly and competitively. We regularly benchmark our pay against the market using reputable surveys and can confirm that the rates paid to our employees are indeed competitive.

With regard to this specific concern, we can confirm that support worker rates in London are materially above National Living Wage and are significantly above the market rate for this role in this location. In addition, Leonard Cheshire offers competitive benefits, often above the levels offered by other organisations in our sector.

We are particularly mindful of the role our frontline staff play in the organisation, and this group has been prioritised in terms of annual increases, which have generally been above the average increase rates in the market, and above inflation.
The best company to work for, the job is not stressful. I was very lucky to have a wonderful manager who cared about me and always guide me when I needed help.
Its an ok place to work. Not too much stress. the people are nice and welcoming and the benefits are good. work life balance is also good. they are an improving organisation
Experience was good, I had to leave because I was looking for challenges and also wanted to study. We had a new manager that was rude, none communicative and we did not see eye to eye. It’s like he went there with a purpose of letting people loose there job by ear say and no thorough investigation.
Pros
Good client team
Cons
Bad staff structure
I met wonderful service users and staff members. Made social friends with some of the staff members. There is no time to read the policies, they just ask you to sign them. There are always some staff members who spend time gossiping with management and are unproductive. The worst senior managers who don’t follow organisation policies. Who cover for each other and unlike other organisations l have worked, The regional manager never visit service to have informal discussion with service users or staff members. It’s like a military camp whereby everyone must follow orders without querying what’s right or wrong, otherwise you are seen as a trouble maker. They are always understaffed due to staff members leaving for various reasons from victimisation or seeking better working conditions. Some carers work very hard & others who are backed by the management do as they wish. No structure.
Pros
Team work amongst carers, service users who appreciate support
Cons
Intimidating senior managers with no respect for carers, micro-managing, low salary, restricted from voicing your concerns, staff members leave regularly due to treatment from management
Management overall was confident and experienced, however the pay and advancement was not very fulfilling for non senior staff.
Organisation went through multiple restructures during my time.

Management did try with limited resources to have a healthy work environment. Training budget in my particular department was minimal.
Such a great idea to support disabled but very poorly executed and managed. Such a controlling regime and fake culture which I can only presume is the tip of the iceberg. You have been warned.
Pros
Great work to support those who are disabled.
Cons
Poor management and draconian culture.
I was a fundraiser at LCD and had a great time while employed there. The team helped me integrate quickly and provided moral support for a job that can be draining at times.
Working within this organisation allows you to work as a solo worker, however, we are part of a team and regular team meetings bond us as a workforce.

Training and support is on-going. This is a challenging position for those who love overcoming barriers in order to help and support the more vulnerable groups in our communities. My manager is excellent with a vast knowledge base.

A typical day at work would be working out of a variety of JCP's. Working 1:1 with clients - along with some group work. Engaging with employers is a key part of my job role.

The most enjoyable part of the day for any employment advisor is when you have met the needs of clients desired employment role and found them a sustainable position within their chosen sector.
Pros
Travel Paid for. Training.Equipment supplied for the position
Cons
Solo Work
Worklife balance was good.

Staff who worked in services were excellent and worked hard to produce the care.

Very structured senior management that had a very public service approach to business.
Pros
Excellent Staff
Cons
Senior Management
A fantastic place to work, only left as a better opportunity came up. Pension amazing and as a working parent really helpful. The work they do for their clients is superb and lots of interaction with projects and office based staff.
Pros
Pension, flexible hours
Cons
Can't think of any
working in different places in London
presentation and networking skills learnt

Good workplace culture

hardest part of the job is the paperwork and scanning contents onto the system
Pros
good company culture
Cons
paperwork and client focus to be redressed
Offered an intern place while doing my MA in Events and Conference management, being able to learn from all the areas of the organisation of events.

Working directly under the event managers of Leonard Cheshire Disability, I tried to give my best everyday for the benefit of the company. Having difficult days while researching new ways of market the different range of event of the charity but also having fun while working in the operational part of the events.
Pros
Paid expenses
Cons
Lot of online research
Interesting and varied work load, learned new computer system. data management.
Pros
part time hours
Cons
travelling by train with no seats
The day centre where I undertook my placement involved working alongside people with physical and learning disabilities. The service users ranged from people with cerebral palsy to stroke survivors. My responsibilities at the centre involved supporting new and existing service users with all aspects of their daily lives. This involved setting up new Individual Service Plans or reviewing existing ISP’s in order to assess on-going needs or any change of circumstances.
I have had the responsibility of organising and working within a multi-disciplinary setting which involved working alongside colleagues, community nurses, social workers and resident support workers.

All in all a great experience
Pros
good training
Cons
lack of government funding