Leonard Cheshire

Leonard Cheshire Employee Reviews

United Kingdom247 reviews
Change of Management
Was fine until a new Service Manager came into our area. Taking on this second area. Came in with own ideas, wanting to micro manage and be unfair to people to get rid of those she didn't want. Not understanding her role and fame came before anything else as if it was only her achieving goals. I was underpaid doing a job on less hours than it should have been
Company made me refundant
Enjoyed where I worked but company ethics not good. Met and worked with lovely people. Company let us all down by surprise redundancies. Didn't meet the ethos of the Founder Lord Leonard Cheshire. I'm sure he would not be impressed how his legacy is being managed now, too many changes and not all for the better. I'm lucky I had a lovely place to work.
Pros
Lovely place to work
Cons
Company ethics not good
Poorly paid no increments for weekends or bank holidays
I have worked for Leonard Cheshire for many years, overall I would say it is a good company to work for, the big downfall is salary wages in London barely over the minimum wage and no extras for working nights or weekends.
Staff are constantly told Saturdays and Sundays are part of the normal working week but they will try to make you work more weekends and have days off through the week.

Management would think nothing if it suited them to change your shifts or your hours without any notice, day shifts have been cut In our service from 8 hours to 6.5 hours now leaving staff down on contracted hours and a few years ago staff had money shaved of the hourly rate which put some staff into financial difficulties.

higher management seem only to be bothered about the budget and there is no money in the pot for leisure activities meaning the poor residents have no social life.

Although being stuck in most days the residents are cared for and well looked after and quite often staff will use their own money or time to try and do activities with the residents

Leonard Cheshire is run more like a money making organisation then a charity and the bosses at the top on huge salaries while poor support workers are barely earning a crust for all their hard work, it is definitely the wrong way round.
Both good and bad
Its 50/50 for this company unfortunately. The residents are highly looked after by a select number of staff. Unfortunately the bad apples let the side down. Unless your face fits i wouldnt bother, some staff are there too work others think its a social gathering.
Ba2 oes
Greenhill House near Bath is a challenging yet rewarding place to work. The staff team are experienced, management is supportive, helpful, understanding and ensures training is provided.
Residents make everything worth while, a genuine reason to go to work every day
Loved working here
I loved My time at Leonard Cheshire disability, staff work extremely hard and all the residents are well cared for. I have since worked for an agency working in various care homes and can honestly say LCD The orchard have the most looked after and cared for residents than any other home I’ve been in, The staff team is great the only negative is the pay (minimum wage) however it’s a very rewarding job.
Good company very caring
Good organisation with a strong ethos on supporting people, very caring and supportive of staff.
What they do goes far beyond providing social care. They work in local communities to provide people with opportunity, choice and support.
The best
The best company to work for, the job is not stressful. I was very lucky to have a wonderful manager who cared about me and always guide me when I needed help.
Leonard Cheshire is a great company to work for. The management and staff are very friendly and supportive in all situation. I would definitely recommend people to apply to work at one of their bases.
Great relaxed working environment
Staff where very friendly and helpful, working from home seemed to be promoted. Hot desking was being introduced. However if can be tricky getting hold of staff.
back breaking with little training
We deal with extremely challenging behaviour both physically and mentally , mostly at a low staffing level with no support from management .
We face abuse every day but have absolutely no training in how to deal with this. We have had a vermin issue for many months . The residents are amazing and I love my role as a carer , however, I feel sorry they have to see the low moral .its heart breaking
Excellent
I worked with a good team and had excellent support. The residents are so appreciative and team spirit is always good. Problems are solved easily and staff appreciated
good company
leonard Cheshire is a good company to work for. Very good work people shifts suited me at the time for looking after a elderly relative
Hours are 25 hours a week
Pros
free uniforms
Cons
can be stressful
Unethical
High turn over of staff including the managers, senior management need to look at why they cannot retain managers, some suggestions; lack of support or supervision from senior managers, lack of regard for their own policies and procedures that only seem to be followed when they suit, lack of any kind of training when new systems are implemented, always moving the goal posts.
Too much stress and responsibility for very little in return. Undervalued and confidence driven into the ground.
Busy but rewarding
Busy job, rewarding supporting people. Nice team to work with. Good training given, the work is completely centred around helping and supporting the residents, from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night and everything in between. there are various activities for the residents.
Everyday is same routine with other jobs being introduced as weather changes
Everyday there is a different issue within my job. Which is what I like about working at Leonard Cheshire. I love my job and seeing a good outcome. I also like the fact that I can get involved with the service users is taking them out and helping with there needs
I would recommend working for Leonard Cheshire
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Leonard Cheshire, unfortunately due to customers funding cuts I had to be made redundant. I would have loved to carry on working for the company.
Lovely management team
I love my job . I have the privilege of caring for the most wonderful individuals. I work long days by choice for a better work life balance . It's a physically demanding job .Nice company to work for .
Pros
Over time, tea and coffee, training.
Cons
Hourly rate but that is the caring profession these days .
Toxic
The work is extremely physically and mentally demanding so be prepared to be shattered after every shift with no praise! Although a few staff are supportive, the rest are back stabbers. I guarantee you'll hear gossiping and you'll experience spontaneous arguments in inappropriate circumstances.

Management is terrible. Regardless of your job role, there will always be someone who believes they have the authority to tell you what to do (even if they are in the same role as you). It's a competition to get the most work done, and the most quickly. The service users aren't prioritised as they should be, as unfortunately so many staff don't realise they have a duty of care. Manager hasn't stepped in and sorted this.

Communication is poor; messages aren't passed on beyond one person. Emails aren't replied to, and calls rarely answered. Nurses aren't clued in to what the support workers know and there is a lack of good flow in handovers.

The 10 minute paid break is not enough, especially because I never really got it. This would leave just the 30 minute unpaid lunch break. Pay is generally good, but for the amount of strenuous work including other duties unrelated to the support worker role and a great deal of personal care, I'd expect at least £11 per hour.

Staff are shamed for absences. I've personally experienced harassment via text from one of my colleagues regarding this. Regardless of circumstance, even if perfectly legitimate, staff are expected to bend over backwards and abandon what commitments or illnesses they may have.

Manual handling training lasted about
 - more...
Staff are lovely
Day to day it can be a stressful environment, although through the positive responses of the service users it is a highly rewarding job. If you are highly motivated and have a strong character with excellent work ethics it is a lovely place to work.
very good caring company to work for
Good Caring company to work for & people to work with . Moved to Havant to work together with partner from Bolton but he went off ill lo g-term so was left to find my way around Portsmouth, getting used to job, meeting other support workers for double -ups etc. This put a strain on me which caused much stress & I had to finish.