Leicestershire Police Employee Reviews

Great Career
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire10 April 2018
I worked as a Police officer for over 31 years and had a great time. The work is challenging and I witnessed things that you wouldn't wish anyone else to see but that's the downside. The organisation itself is very good overall, not perfect as no organisation this size is but the rewards are worth it. It's a very hard job but you get satisfaction in knowing you've made a difference. If you can handle the sometimes weird sense of humour that Police officers have then this might be the career for you.
Pros
Pension, job satisfaction, feels like a family.
Cons
Challenging, not for the faint hearted.
Fast paced work environment, pressured
COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 January 2018
Hard work but could be very rewarding. Interesting seeing things from this perspective. Workplace culture - could often have issues with office politics and management issues.
Pros
Career progression and good wages
Cons
Sometimes poor work life balance, stressful
Fantastic job
Police Constable (Former Employee) –  Leicester1 January 2018
A great career which allowed me to experience all avenues of Policing and furnished me with lots of skills.
Enjoyed nearly every minute.
A great way to give back to the community.
Great opportunities to advance through the ranks.
Pros
All round great job
Cons
Be prepared for unsocial shifts and cancelling social events
Decent Organisation to work for however many changes taking place
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire15 November 2017
Very varied job role within the public sector, many skills and personal qualities gained within my role. However do not find much job progression within the organisation within my specific role
Pros
Salary, skills training
Cons
Work life balance, career progression
Easy to write
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire15 April 2017
The Police was a good career but after sustaining a minor leg injury whilst on duty I opted for early retirement. I was a experienced Police officer with a wide range of experience and also qualified as a detective in serious crime in particular child abuse.

My people skills are very good, i have the ability to talk people and calm them quickly down.

I'm not sure what jobs are available that i would get job satisfaction from but I'm open to offers.
Fun workplace but stressful
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester15 March 2017
I have worked within the police now for approximately 10 years (including time spent as a security officer). My time in the Police has been mostly fun and enjoyable however due to recent changes in the structure of the Police service has impacted on my work/home life balance in a negative way.
I feel now that I do not enjoy my time at work as I once did and feel when I get home I am constantly thinking about the job and what tasks I have to complete the next day. This is causing a lot of stress on my part and this has now started to effect my health. I very rarely get to spend time with my other and find I do not get to attend family events as frequently as I once did.
Pros
non
Cons
Long hours. No work/ home life/social life balance
PCSO role
PCSO (Current Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire30 January 2017
Excellent Place to work, good support and learning throughout, people you work with are excellent and will support you,

many areas to progress and lots of different jobs and roles
Pros
life skills
Cons
shift pattern
Officers are treated a lot better than the staff
Not applicable (Former Employee) –  Not applicable13 August 2016
I was disgusted with the treatment I received from the Police. Supervisor always turned a blind eye to the ex Police Officers behaviour and there was no opportunity to progress upwards.
Hard but rewarding job
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire22 July 2016
There are many good people that work for the organisations that have dealt with some very traumatic incidents. My experience of management are that they have been very supportive towards me and encourage people to enhance themselves.

I have covered many varied roles and there is really too much to write on how my skills have been developed / enhanced.

The hardest part of the job is handling stressful situations, but it is a challenge that I enjoy. The long hours and unpredictable nature of not knowing whether you will be kept on duty on any given day can effect your family and social life in a negative manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a positive result for a victim and knowing that due to my own personal work I have positively effected someone. It is a fantastic feeling.
Pros
work colleagues
Cons
long hours and unpredictable shifts resulting in a poorer social life & family life
A pleasure to work for them
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton17 June 2016
Leicestershire Police are a disciplined emergency service. Working for them is both a honour and a priviledge . The support given to employees is second to none.
Pros
Colleague support second to none
Cons
shift work
Good organisation, always learning.
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Coalville, Leicestershire25 February 2015
Dealing with Crime and Anti-social Behaviour, Managing Offenders, Community Engagement, taking Statements.
I learned about, law, legislation, investigating crime, communicating to people, defusing difficult situations, being diverse to all communities.
Management is good and will always listen to any concerns you may have.
Excellent team work with co-workers.
The hardest part is doing the job under the financial constraints from the Government.
Being a role model to many members of the community and the appreciation they have for our hard work.
Pros
Dealing with a varied amount of incidents.
Cons
Long working shift pattern and too much weekend working.
Challenging & Rewarding
Deputy LPU Commander (Former Employee) –  Leicestershire23 February 2015
A typical day involves analysis of threats to delivery of strategic priorities around crime reduction and vulnerability. Creation / maintenance of short, medium and long term plans in response to this. I have the autonomy to do so with the support from management where necessary.
Management of expectations of internal and external stakeholders along with the media. Supportive and professional management team under my lead results in an efficient and high performing workplace.
I’ve learnt by developing direct reports and other colleagues that high levels of performance and motivation are natural consequences.
The most enjoyable part of this job has to be seeing many motivated colleagues delivering a high quality service under my leadership.
Deputy Transport Manager (Current Employee) –  ENG23 September 2014
.After a couple of years into the role as a Police Officer I was approached by the Transport Department to take on the position as Deputy Transport Manager due to my automotive background and experience. I am a line manager to 12 members of staff and I ensure that I alongside the department provides a professional, proactive and reactive service provision to all internal and external customers. My role requires me to carry out the following responsibilities/tasks
• To supervise, challenge and develop work efficiency and monitor job equality. Ensuring that all resources perform efficiently to return vehicles back to operational status as soon as practicable. All tasks/repairs undertaken must be to the high standard we demand.
• Manage a 500+ Vehicle fleet and the daily supervision of the vehicle workshop facilities and staff
• Develop and implement budgets inline with the Force’s objectives and the strict vehicle maintenance requirements. Also I am required to challenge any areas where there are visible cost savings to made.
• I assist the Transport Manager in implementing and managing fleet policies
• Develop and challenge working practices and procedures in line with the vehicle specification and operational requirements. The current new procedures that i have put in to place have proven to be highly successful.
• I have great experience in creating long standing relationships with outside contractors – On a regular basis I am required to negotiate Service Level Agreements and pricing structures
• Analyse the vehicle fleets lifecycle and recommend vehicle replacements
  more... according to budgets
• Manage the Commissioning Team – instigating and prioritising the demands of our new vehicle fleet. I am responsible for managing the process from vehicle order all the way through to the vehicle on the road. It is imperative that I ensure all operational vehicles (marked or covert) are completed/commissioned to the user’s requirements.
• I lead daily/weekly team meetings briefing all of my teams
• Create annual PDR’s (Personal Development Reviews) for all my staff members with a 6 month review
• I collate and present KPI’s – workshop KPI’s are then benchmarked against other Police Forces
• Create and maintain vehicle build specs for all commissioned Police vehicles
fun work place
In my spare time I volunteer (Current Employee) –  hinckley9 August 2014
great place to volunteer. a fast paced involvement and level head is always needed.
Hardworking Organisation
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Leicester, UK5 January 2014
The Police Dept I work for has a group of individuals who work very hard to protect the community we serve and I enjoy the variety my position brings.
The downside is that due to government cut backs it has lead to less officers on patrol.
Pros
Pension, Holiday time
Cons
Not enough officers for workload
Job Security
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Wigston, Leicestershire19 December 2013
Everyday is different and I can be dealing with anything on a day to day basis, one minute I will be dealing with a robbery and then the next an elderly person who has lost there way
Pros
Job Securith
Cons
long hours - no family time
Challenging
Forensic Identification Expert (Current Employee) –  Leicester12 March 2013
Duties include:

Analyse, compare, evaluate and verify all forms of fingerprint evidence

Completion of statements of evidence for court and presentation of evidence in court

Working as part of a large team within the Forensic unit such as Technicians

A challenging and unpredictable career that can change at a moments notice
Cons
shifts and weekend working