Leicestershire Police

Leicestershire Police Employee Reviews

United Kingdom36 reviews
Completed as above on star system of grading as indicated above . I would give any future employer further details but do not feel I wish to expand further .
Worked as a police officer for 28 years through many changes and government and managers. The funding and priorities of policing have altered a lot in that time
Started well with initial job. Then introduced another team, too much work introduced, no extra pay, no proper training and pressure to learn the work.
They are a good employer with a lot of additional benefits -
pension

medical scheme

group insurance

very good gym

access to rehab if needed (through benevolent fund -PC's and PCSO's only)

There are a lot of career pathways within this organisation. It can be stressful and can carry a lot of responsibility.
Pros
stable career, benefits above
Cons
shift work, unpredicatable hours
Very friendly environment and everyone works as a team! Great force to work for! There are various departments you can be promoted into and great benefits
I worked with Leicestershire Police as a Special Constable. The experience gave me an insight into working with the police and I have now applied for a full time job as a police officer. The staff there were friendly and made me feel part of the team. I would highly recommend working with this service.
Considerable strain has been placed on the organisation due to funding cuts. This has resulted in insurmountable workloads for investigation teams and inadequate support for operational officers. This has impacted extremely negatively on the health and safety of officers, and with that, morale. As there has been some recognition of this and indication of additional funding, this may now start to improve, but when I ceased I left an organisation devoid of morale.
The police is naturally a very stressful job on almost every day on shift. There are the odd days that are quiet, but more often than not it is fast-paced.

It is frustrating because you will do everything you can for people, and it is not often that they show gratitude for hard work.
Was hoping for great flexi hours with gud management support in return for an honest hard days work.. Turns out they are all out for themselves, and cheat their own systems.
Pros
It is about what you make of it. Progression options available.
Work life balance is difficult and not particularly flexible. General lack of support from senior staff.
volunteered for a few days and everything was good. Nice people!
I thoroughly enjoyed my time as a special police constable. the only reason I don't do it anymore is because of my paid job otherwise I would be able to commit more hours.
Pros
excellent training, supportive colleagues
Cons
lots of information to take in and remember, unpaid
Very busy with varied work - Opportunities to work in various fields and there is something for every person.

This is an opportunity to be a public servant and to put something back into society while being paid.
Pros
Public Service
Cons
Long Hours
Every day something different but positive culture, supportive management and excellent colleagues.
Payment in line with public sector but below market value in private sector. Excellent career opportunities, plenty of encouragement to progress.
Pros
Great camouradary disciplined working environment
Cons
Salary
No support from management
Unsafe working practice

Dealing with the dregs of society

Thankless job

Corruption rife within the organisation

Rubbish pay
Lovely people but I was only a volunteer so I can't say how it was company wide. The people I met though were really lovely and I can't fault them. Varied dynamic work and something I'd really recommend.
Great place to work, really friendly staff. Brilliant training team and lots of opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills. The opportunities never end.
I worked as a Police officer for over 31 years and had a great time. The work is challenging and I witnessed things that you wouldn't wish anyone else to see but that's the downside. The organisation itself is very good overall, not perfect as no organisation this size is but the rewards are worth it. It's a very hard job but you get satisfaction in knowing you've made a difference. If you can handle the sometimes weird sense of humour that Police officers have then this might be the career for you.
Pros
Pension, job satisfaction, feels like a family.
Cons
Challenging, not for the faint hearted.
Hard work but could be very rewarding. Interesting seeing things from this perspective. Workplace culture - could often have issues with office politics and management issues.
Pros
Career progression and good wages
Cons
Sometimes poor work life balance, stressful
A great career which allowed me to experience all avenues of Policing and furnished me with lots of skills.
Enjoyed nearly every minute.

A great way to give back to the community.

Great opportunities to advance through the ranks.
Pros
All round great job
Cons
Be prepared for unsocial shifts and cancelling social events
Very varied job role within the public sector, many skills and personal qualities gained within my role. However do not find much job progression within the organisation within my specific role
Pros
Salary, skills training
Cons
Work life balance, career progression
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leicestershire Police. Our community is ready to answer.