Leicestershire County Council

Leicestershire County Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom90 reviews
Great culture
Good team and management support. I really liked the environment, the staff restaurant is great and reasonable prices. Would reccomend as an employer.
Enjoyable
Loved driving the different size buses. Enjoyed picking up the service users (ASC.) This included people with special adult learning , also dementia and medical issues and on occasions children with educational needs . Collegues and Employers good and flexible. Nice atmosphere to work in .
Social Worker
Good Management who is very supportive
Flexible working - no micromanagement

Feel part of the team

Good case direction

Good team spirit

Excellent Head of Service
Excellent team
The job did get harder as budget savings translated into restructures and so less staff to do the same workload but the support and teamwork that is in place is amazing. Most staff have been there over 10 years at least, which says how much they enjoy it
Leics County Council
Worked for local government for a number of years but wanted a new challenge

Have lots of opportunity to move within departments internally.

I would recommend anybody applying to local government .
It is a UK government organization.
LCC is a well organized government agency. The working environment is perfect. They train staff and encourage professionalism. Staff welfare is good, with lots of trainings and free courses.
All looking out for their selves,
Don’t bother. They are all looking after each other’s backs . Not professional. All the higher Grades looking after each others backs . Not bothered about the clients. How far they gonna get up the ladder. They don’t have interviews for jobs advertised, they just get offered them.
Not great
I worked here for almost 5 years on agency they had me everyday to work and not once did they mention anything about taking me on. I the last few months I'd noticed I wasn't getting paid correctly and both the council and the agency blamed each other, after discovering it was a council mistake and trying to take it further by requesting a meeting they laid me off instantly.
A good work environment in spite of budget constraints
Enjoyable to work for, good culture and a wide variety of roles as would be expected from a local authority. Wages are fair for the public sector, and there is plenty of scope for progression within teams and departments. Work-life balance for general team members is excellent - flexible working is generally available where needed for most office-based roles nowadays.

However, the now decade-long squeeze on public spending is having an effect on staff morale as services are constantly under pressure, and some questionable management changes in a few teams have not helped a perception, both internal and public, that savings are seen as more important than actual services in some areas.

In spite of this, the majority of teams are well-run by good leaders, and the workforce is a good one representing people from all walks of life and backgrounds within Leicestershire - it is a good work environment and I would absolutely recommend working there.
Great Team and Customers
I loved working with the library services - such an important part of the community. The team I worked with were fantastic and friendly and the customers were all lovely. I never had a bad shift in my 5 years of being there.
not family friendly
my experience was good and bad felt at times they only understood the job role and not the work life balance, wage is good but flexibility wasn't for me but that's personal opinion
ok
I only did work experience for a week, I was not paid. staff were very friendly I would recommend to anyone looking for a professional career in local government.
Well paid but no job security
While the work is interesting and varied the lack of job security is a hindrance.
The bonus will be the people you work with, they will help you grow and learn.
A worthwhile job offering support and guidance to vulnerable adults in the county.
A very busy role but excellent training support and guidance given from the senior team and management.
I learned a lot about health and social care and enjoyed the interaction with the general public and professionals that I was involved with. I built an excellent rapport with many.

At times the job was stressful and could be upsetting but to turn the situation into a positive outcome was very satisfying.
Stressful
Stressful place to work. Constant work routine changes that are difficult to manage especially as management don’t know how to manage the changes themselves. No paid enhancements for working weekends, bank holidays, or unsocial hours.
Great Place
Really Great place to work. The management were friendly and managed their teams well. Entire staff team at The Trees were knowledgeable and well respected with each other.
Unprofessional avoid!!!!!!
Avoid applying here unless you want to be disappointed. I had a interview invite over the phone for a finance postition and was told that they could not send the details of the interview over email as there systems not working so was invited for a formal interview however when i got there i waited 1 hour to then ask reception “whats going on.” And was told that the manager interview is on holiday and after several attempts to get in touch with a member of staff from the department, a very rude member of staff from the department told me the jobs been filled. Utter waste of time and pure disappointed!!! Extremely surprising as you wouldnt expect this kind of unprofessionalism anywhere and especially here, i have never experianced such negativity elsewhere. Avoid in all means!!!!!
Mobile Kitchen assistant
Enjoyed being mobile kitchen assistant as i met lots of different people, it's not for everyone but good if you get bored easily. was able to work around my kids school hours.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
didn't receive my Level 2 food hygiene certificate.
you are looked after if your face fits
Not a good employer, some really nice people
Really busy

I learned many things including computers

Workers on the whole are typical just want to do the best.

Rather not give opinion of management

Most enjoyable part following job from start to finish knowing I had a hand in it.
Great working life while at LCC
Enjoyed my time here very much.
Manager was amazing, best I've every worked under

flexible working hours were great

remote working is completely feasible and encouraged
Like all organisations it has its faults. Workloads are ridiculous but I loved working there, some great staff.
The workloads in children services are very high and not manageable but there are some talented staff working for LCC which makes it bearable and worthwhile.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leicestershire County Council. Our community is ready to answer.