Leicester College
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Leicester College Employee Reviews

United Kingdom63 reviews
I think working at Leicester college is a once in a life opportunity that can help further enhance your knowledge of social engraving and impacting youths life’s for the better I personally didn’t have the best time at Leicester college but you can.
Fast pace ,lots of jobs need immediate attention. The day is organised and well planned ,the hardest part is when the plans change and you need to regroup and go again at short notice.
Pros
Happy workplace
Cons
plans change quickly
Everyone is on edge all of the time, you are expected to work miracles but get literally zero support from directors, there is no true leadership, just soulless management, the culture is disgusting and for a college this size, I would expect them to be leading the way in course delivery, however the courses are genuinely shocking with staff being overworked and using methods from 1985, student, apprentice, employer, parent complaints are through the roof! Yet people look at this as a chance to defend rather than fix the actual issue, it has such huge potential but making your staff redundant and telling everyone to 'work harder is not the way to fix this place!
Very helpful staff and amazing working environment where people support eachother. The workload is achievable and there is always time for a laughter.
No job security, poor management.
Poor progress, only of your face fits.

Very back stabbing blame culture, surprising for an FE college.

Good as a partime second job.
Pros
Good holidays
Cons
Very poor strategic management and poor culture
i ve worked at Leicester College Freemen road for half of y ear , it was absolutely a disaster ! the team leader was a pest ! i am not quite sure that i can give his name but if you have a personality and you are a straight person DONT GO THERE !!!!!!!! you will want to beat that guy , at LEicester College Abbey Park is a wonderful tam leader , GO THERE if you want to work for Leicester College
I loved my time at leicester college. It was fun and met good people. I did meet some not so good people but that was a minor. Most of the tutors were very helpful and friendly.
Nice place to work most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. Within the last 5 years of working at the college I have been through a risk of redundancy twice and Ofsted inspection twice. Management don't always listen depending on which department you work in. There seems to be a divide between learner responsive and employer responsive.
Student - hair and beauty
really enjoyed my time at leicester College. All staff were very helpful and knowledgeable and other students were very supportive of each other
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Leicester College?
Much like working in other FE colleges, the staff were friendly and helpful to one another. The pay was resaonably good when over time not taken into consideration.
Becoming more difficult due to cuts.
Good students but need to take more care of SEN learners in mainstream environments.

More managers than necessary and not enough on shop floor.
Like any company, it has its good and bad points. It's a huge company and there are lots of possibilities for progression. I was fortunate to work at different campuses and with various departments. The majority of staff are hardworking and passionate about education. However, some colleagues have progressed to managerial positions undeservedly and without the desired credentials. In some departments this has had a rather negative impact. Some staff have worked there too long and take liberties and are reluctant to work with new initiatives. I worked there for four years and I never met one SLT member. I personally knew two members of SLT and spoke to the principal on occasions but I find it hard to believe that there was management in the College that I wouldn't have recognised in the corridor! The College is big, but not that big! That lack of communication and coherence made it a very fragmented company at times. The pay isn't great but that's the nature of further education. The facilities aren't brilliant either but colleagues help you to overcome these challenges. It's a very rewarding experience being able to support city centre learners with their vocational studies. The company is flexible and there are lots of learning opportunities to help you grow and develop.
Pros
Cpd, flexible, colleagues, learners, discounts and other benefits
Cons
Parking, management...FE!
i found working here rewarding as i helped students progress, good hours and facilities, food is good and staff are lovely would recommend, nice place to be.
Pros
food
Cons
The college is a great place to work, however, due to illness brought on by the distance travelled, I was unable to continue with my work there.
There are tremendous facilities at the college for the right person and it is a good place to work.
Pros
Great people, great facilities.
Cons
Necessary to work close to the college.
A great place and team to be a part of. Although I am just a member of the Student Union, I have met some great people from whom I have learned so much and developed a lot in this short period.
I studied at Leicester College, for NVQ Level 3 in Hair and Media Makeup. I also had to go out in the industry for work experience, to see how well I managed working along side my team but also using own initiative, with fast paced situations. Also being able to be organised with my makeup kit and being effective with timing and using products correctly. I gained a lot of experience as I took part being the makeup artist for photo shoots, events around Leicester. Here I had to carry out treatments with a professional manner. Always providing the client consultation and in detail go through a full skin analysis. Neatly have makeup kit presently laid on work station. Sit client comfortably and position correctly, lighting, chair, posture. Explain treatment plan to the client, asking questions why artist will be carrying out this service for them today, what they would expect from the service, what outfit will be matching with the clients makeup and so on.
Leicester College wasn't an official job, whilst I was studying, I was learning on the job tech support after college hours to learn more about repairing and diagnosing issues with a Personnel Computer
Usually well managed and if you work well you'll have no problems at all.
training provided. holidays can get a little tricky to book of if a lot of people want the same time as with any where.

Students and exams can disrupt your usual working day occasionally.
Pros
Perks of working in education
Cons
Early mornings/students
Worst management ever, out with the old and experienced in with new staff who really do not have a clue how to teach their vocational subject, one lecturer has never been in industry!

Voice an opinion and management will ensure you are gone.

This college does not offer any job security, no matter how long you have worked there.
Pros
Non management staff and students
Cons
Management who are blinkered
It was fun, friendly co workers, nice environment with loads of facilities. Big canteen and lots of parking space for people working there. I really enjoyed it
This was a work experience and my first hand in marketing through radio and magazines. Interviewing students, teachers and creating articles for the college newspapers. A very dynamic and cultural environment.
Pros
Social and very cultural