Leica Biosystems

Leica Biosystems Employee Reviews

United Kingdom11 reviews
I would class Surgipath Europe Limited (which later became Leica Biosystems Peterborough Limited following a takeover) as my best employer. They took me from a shy, inexperienced 19 year old who had just completed his NVQ Level 2 in Administration and moulded me into an outgoing, motivator and highly motivated Administrator.
I now consider myself a very good Administrator and employee.
Pros
Company with a family feel but big sales
Cons
It ended when we all wanted to stay for longer
Very bad at managing people in general and also it’s not a working environment at all employees have relationships with managers out of working hours. Reason saying I used to get bullied in that place full of old miserable people. Wouldn’t recommend for any urban and Asian background.
I thought I'd found my perfect career, but it was ruined by top management close to the presidential level, who have a cynical, blatant disregard for their hardworking staff. The day to day culture is great, but this is negated by the toxicity of the 'powers that be,' who see the workers as numbers to be shuffled around for no real reason than to satisfy their own business goals.
If you want to be valued solely as a tiny, disposable cog in an infinitely large machine, then, by all means, go for it. You have been warned.
Pros
Great day to day, inclusive culture.
Cons
Toxic high-level management with no consideration given to staff.
Not the most intellectually stimulating workplace. You learn about the products and the quality control systems, but that's about it. It's overly corporate (which you are forced to engage with) and not very "sciencey". You will get bored quickly once you have been trained in a few things, and the rare internal promotion opportunities are not interesting either. Colleagues are mostly nice, but some of the managers take advantage, especially with new staff who are still on temporary contracts. The company has an extremely high staff turnover rate across the board, which should tell you something.
Pros
Ok for a short time
Cons
Boring, bad management, can be treated very nastily despite working hard
Ok if your face fits - management hate to be questioned.
If your a little sheep willing to be hearded with a noddy head and a smile, you'll be fine. Otherwise dont even think about.
Good people on site, bad higher management, keep changing. Making staff redundant woithout explanation.
low wages for the work being done, high turnover of staff, staff are not qualified for the job they do.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad management
Hmm, where to begin !! Leica is a very strange place to work. As other reviews have stated, they are profit driven with very very little return to the workforce. They are American run, therefore controlled by the share holders and no unions exist. The wages are very poor, only a little over minimum wage. I can only talk about the area I worked in but production has a huge attrition problem. Not many people stay long and the reasons are due to poor wages, weak management, very little prospect in the way of promotion or secondment. In 28 years of working in pharmaceuticals, Leica is definately the worst of companies I've ever experience. I think that just about covers life there. I'd truely think long and hard before considering employment there.
Pros
absolutely none.
Cons
poor wages. weak management. high staff turnover.
Not a great place to work, disconnected systems, management that takes all the praise for your hard work, extremely poor HR leaders.
Most senior managers are in it for what they can get out of the job, they don't care about the Associates that put in all the hard work.

Internal systems are disparate and it takes ages to get improvements in them e.g. 5 years to get around to even specifying a new CRM system. They take good proven processes and insist on using their own old not fit for purpose ones.
Pros
None to speak of really
Cons
Poor L1 management team
Solely responsible for resolving customer technical instrumentation issues in a timely manner, log analysis, troubleshooting, and diagnosing all instrumentation faults, and then ordering the parts required for field based engineers to attend site and fit the parts required for the repair, thus ensuring the highest first time fix rates for the customer.

Great Management, World leading products and the highest standard of customer care.
Pros
Quality of Service and culture
loved it. Very busy and time taking. I had to be very well organised to compete my day tasks.
Pros
busy
Cons
unpaid breaks
The company is owned by an American mother company, so there is no Union. Working conditions are good, clean, temperature controlled. The downside however is there are no development prospects, so if you are wanting to develop yourself and your career then look elsewhere. The wages are not competitive, very poor infact. Finally the management only care about facts and figures. In an internal questionnaire about company values, 80% of staff said they would leave if offered a job of the same wage elsewhere.
Pros
good working conditions
Cons
very poor wage, management only care about figures, no development opportunities