Language Empire Employee Reviews

They have improved
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 December 2018
Good assignments,nice clients.
It is true that you have to wait 2months for your payment but it has now been several months that they pay always on time and there are no mistakes in my payslips (time, quantity of jobs etc.)
Unfortunately they reduced significantly the pay and introduced useless assessments for interpreters.
The booking coordinators are kind and never push you into accepting jobs you don't want to do(for example because of distance-they don't pay for travel time or mileage).

Overall, I enjoy working for them.
Pros
Correct timely payments, lot of good clients
Cons
Neverending assessments for interpreters and low pay
Low pay and disrespectful
Freelance Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester20 December 2018
This company is a disgrace to the profession, and I hope they disappear from the market. I have my worst work experience with them. And to make things worse they have recently lowered their rates of pay. They have a very unjust cancellation policy; you have to give them notice 10 days in advance or you have to pay a charge, but they only need to give you 2 hours notice if they choose to cancel. Please do not work for them!
Pros
I cannot think of any
Cons
Low pay, late pay and everything else
Poorly Managed Company - AVOID!
Freelance Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester13 October 2018
I have stopped working for LE for the following reasons
1> You have to chase for payments this can go on for several months they will not put you through to accounts , you have to send mails but they don't respond but they will 'log' a ticket for your complaint but its ticks the box - they don't get back to you.
2> Cancellation Policy - as an interpreter you cannot cancel within 10 working days without receiving a penalty but they can cancel on the day without a payment to the interpreter - these should be more aligned and fair.
3> The agency will lie/mislead and tell you one rate but when you do finally get paid they pay the standard not the agreed rate.
4> The Management team do not care whatsoever about the position they put the interpreters in when not paying on time and refer to LE T&C on occasions if paperwork not received (don't pay interpreter), if late (fine interpreter) yet don't follow their own T&C around payment schedules.
5> The more work you do for them the less your hourly rate as a loyalty bonus and you also have to wait longer for payment the more assignments you do for them.

Best advice I can give is don't work for LE, they need to realise without interpreters they simply don't have a business.

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Avoid and work for someone else
Freelance Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  Freelance9 October 2018
This company is the worst company I've come across. They pay you three four months after you have done the job for them ( if they pay you at all). The pay rates are so low. Working for free gives you more satisfaction than working for them. AVOID AT ALL COST.
Pros
Cons
Low pay rate, extremely late payment.
Avoid at all costs
No comment (Former Employee) –  Manchester18 February 2019
A full place to work managers are full of them selves constantly doing assessments with interpreters for no reason they never pay on time not even to call centre staff they sack people without due cause they reduced their pay rates paying under ten pound an hour they got sued by big word and are paying a 1/4 million fine avoid worse company ever
Pros
Cons
Pay, hours, everything
Payment as Freelance Interpreter
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire5 October 2018
I did Jobs for them in the 2nd half of July. Now I am in October 2018 and haven't been paid yet. They have a payment schedule on the Interpreter Hub now. It is showing that I will be paid after 50 days. Jobs I am doing in October 2018 is expected to be paid in January 2019, no Christmas joy. Yes, it is just beyond belief. As a freelancer they expect you to maintain yourself for all this time while they invoice their contractor and keep the money at the expense of the you as an interpreter. If you continue to work for them for a month then after 50 days they pay a week worth of payment only at a time. The main issue with this company is that they are a language providing service company that does NOT want to pay the linguists working for it. They are happy to keep proceeds from their contractors and do not care about you as a linguist getting paid. They seem to be trying hard to improve on communication and the web linguist interface but the issue of payment to linguists remains as it is the case from the old bad days. Unless this fundamentally changes my advice to linguists we remain. AVOID WORKING FOR LANGUAGE EMPIRE.
Unpaid continuos assessments for interpreters
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 September 2018
They submit their inerpreters every month to undergo unpaid assessments over the phone.They last about half an hour each one and consist in answering numerous questions about the role of interpreter, confidentiality etc.It is really annoying and stressful as you feel like having an interview or a speaking exam and you waste time which you could use to do one or two assignments.
In addition they are in the process of reducing already low rates of payment and you have to pay £5 to get an ID card when you start working with them.
Pros
Kind coordinators
Cons
Unpaid stressful assignments
They do not care
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Bristol5 December 2018
I’m working for them since August 2018.
Yes you do have to wait for your payment more then a month. They have dropped they pay to minimum. They have booked me for the shift I didn’t argreed to (and it’s 7days canceletion charge) so I Have To Go. Now they have introduced penalty challenge if you have not submitted your timesheet in 48hours!
It’s just ridicules! It’s a Joke Not a Company.
Do yourself a favour DONT WORK for Language Empire
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  North east10 August 2018
Reasons:
1) They pay you whenever it suits and they make it so confusing, you get paid 2months after your first job and then only 1 weeks payment at a time and then only if you get the remittance at correct time, else payment is delayed even longer.

2) They have no idea on how to read mileage on a map ie how far do you think Sunderland is Middlesbrough most people will say around 30miles but according to Language Empire its 11miles.

3) They employ so many unqualified interpreters mainly foreign students that if you do work for them you are very limited toget jobs you do select you be lucky to get 10 jobs a month.

4) They constantly call you to do jobs you did not select. Why did they create this Web HUB if they dont even stick by it, your interpreters are telling you the jobs they can do or want to do.

5) You can get fined by the company if you are late even for legitimate reasons out of your control like road accidents cuasing delays.

There are many other reasons........
Cons
There system dose not make since
Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Manchester20 November 2018
I like interpreting works but they do not care about the interpreters at all.

Their system is Full of mistake and no one can take responsibility.
you should contact another department.

you will get paid a minimum three months after you complete the assignment.

they do not have a good reputation and its not a secure place to work in
You work,they earn and you don't get paid in full.
Interpreter/Translator (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester13 June 2018
I speak three languages and had a lot of assignments during the week; approximately 24 hours a week. Three months later I had more than 600 hours worked but no payment received. I called and spoke with the manager who promised to pay me in three weeks time but did not kept his promise as I kept working and adding more hours to the one I had. Called and emailed to complain but they come out with excuses and a promise to pay. I decided not to take assignments till get paid. I won as they paid me in full but I have had to wait for five stressful months to get the money.
Now I work with different ones and I never complained as they pay me always on time.
Cons
Not overly impressed so far, although it still is early days with them
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol20 August 2018
Yet again, another agency I have recently registered with. From my initial interaction, I would say I am less impressed than I have been with Language is Everything. They appear to be less pro-active and unwilling to appreciate the years of experience I have gained as an interpreter, which has provided them with unfounded justification to not pay me the full rates. The different departments do not seem to communicate among themselves effectively.
Language Empire
Face to Face Interpreter/ Phone interpreter (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire25 August 2018
LE was the worst experience of my life, they never commit in writing to any last minute request they make to convince to take work with them, never pay the full amount and when they pay the money is paid more than 3 months after finishing the task
Pros
choosing my hours of work
Cons
everything else
Good part time job.
Translator/Interpreter (Current Employee) –  York10 October 2018
It`s a good part - time job. You have to be really quick to book an appointment, but they pay you on time, got easy hub to work with and are easy to contact with.
Unethical company
Interpreter and Translator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 April 2018
Don’t pay for your parking even when there’s no free parking available...they don’t pay for travel time or petrol no matter how far you travel....won’t work for them again, it’s not worth it unless I can walk to venue needing interpreting. My advice is to try other interpretation companies - there are plenty around!
Pros
No language test
Cons
Not worth it if you have to use car or public transport to get to venue
Do not pay
Pilish language interpreter (Current Employee) –  Durham, Durham17 June 2018
Worked some assignments and 2 months later still waiting for the payment for the first assignment...did some jobs over the phone and it's not recorded anywhere so I wonder if I'm going to get paid for them at all...
Pros
They need your skills
Cons
They will use you and not pay you
They never pay!
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire30 March 2018
I have worked for them on the 20th December 2017.
Now we are in March 30th 2018 and I still didn’t get paid for the assignment I did for them. I had to drive and pay for parking to do the work and I still didn’t get paid a penny! They keep calling me as they need my service and I only ask to get paid before I ever work for them again and they always have an excuse and never pay! Stay away from Language Empire.
Horrible place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rochdale22 January 2018
I worked for language empire as an apprentice. The way staff are treated in the work place is disgusting. In the department there was one main problem that never got dealt with despite numerous complaints to the manager and the main boss. I handed in a weeks notice but unfortunate my son took very poorly, so I had to have 2 days off to which I got an email back saying I did not need to return. I am very upset with how I was treated at Language Empire. I have took further action to make sure something is done about how I was treated.
Pros
Cons
No management
good working enviroment
inbound bookings (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester28 January 2018
I have worked at Language Empire since September, Looking at some of the reviews on here i am actually laughing, yes the payments sometimes are delayed, and yes its frustrating that when you get a call about someones wages we have to follow protocol and send emails to finance, but it does get sorted out. I help as much as i can and so do the teams that deal with inbound calls.
The hours are ok, the staff have a good laugh and we all get on like a family, we all help each other, ive worked for some really dodgy companies over the years and this is definately not one of them.
I was in a managerial role at a previous job and i use that to the benefit of the team and others where i can
All i can say is that yes there were glitches but these were fixed and a lot of people that are moaning about not being paid dont say the full story, i.e no time sheets returned ect.
If you truely want to see what its like then apply to join our teams and see
Pros
good hours, great people to work with
Cons
more advisors needed
They are not paying
Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset11 April 2018
I have done two jobs in June 2017 and September 2017 and still have not being paid. The call-centre staff has no telephone access (or do they?) towards other departments and it appears that departments are not communicating among themselves. Payments are two months in arrears, if they happen at all! Awful place, awful people. Do not work for them!