Lanes Group PLC Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Energetic & Fast paced
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire9 January 2018
I have been working for Lanes Group for a total of 3 years now.What I love about my job is the interactions I have with different sectors of the business as we work on behalf of Thames water at the new CSC building in Slough. I absolutely love the fact I have to manage people as I always want to see people develop, and to have an input in their growth and personal development really gives me self satisfaction. There are a few obstacles in the way and given the environment we work in, employee motivation is key as I mange a team on a 4 on 4 off shift pattern and working 12 hours is not an easy task to say the least. Fortunately I have always been a people person and find it relatively easy to garner peoples trust and have them perform at the company standard. No day is the same at Lanes which is why I have worked here for 3 years now; but I feel a change is required to better develop my own skill set.
Pros
My team
Cons
Hours of work
Lions lead by monkeys
HGV 2 Driver (Current Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate, Berkshire29 December 2017
Very poor training , illegal use of hydrants , hygiene of trucks is disgusting, low pay ,abusive boss , pressure to work long hours with no notice . They want you to take your time on jobs so they can charge customers more money .i would not recommend working here .
Pros
Uniform
Cons
Branch manager is very rude and unapproachable, payslips online, holiday booking online .
Not the best to work for.
HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  Monton, Greater Manchester3 December 2017
I worked for lanes in Monton, Salford, the job was ok at first, but slowly went down hill. There are some fair members of management and staff and some who are not. Safety is something you have to look out for as some staff will compromise your safety. I myself had a near miss that could have been fatal . I left after 8 months as you don’t have a home life. Start time , but no finish time. You could be working 19 hours easy. Pay was good, but you do the hours so it would be.
Pros
Good wages.
Cons
Long hours, away from home without good notice. Some colleagues like to try and bully.
Just horrible, leave this one alone.
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire24 November 2017
The sheer volume of vacancies should tell you something!
A thoroughly nasty experience not to be repeated, don’t leave a secure job to work here.
Value yourself higher than this.
Pros
You really will learn how not to treat people.
Cons
If you are on call they will never leave you to rest.
Lanes group
Hgv jetvac driver (Current Employee) –  Stafford, Staffordshire25 October 2017
I've worked for lanes for over a year and it's the worse job I've ever had. The management don't care about your safety they don't supply you with the correct ppe and mess about with your wages. My advice would be to avoid the place
Not sociable hours and home life
Waste engineer (Current Employee) –  North east london11 October 2017
Job is ok
Unsocoiable hours for family life
Typical day going round to people homes to unblock drains (sewers) checking the drain mapping system to see where they go
Good
Drainage engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 September 2017
Good place to work really nice company good work ethics, nice people to work for and it's quite relaxed it's not too harsh working and flexible working hours
Pros
Good money
Cons
Good place to work a lot of variety of things to do
Drainage Engineer (Current Employee) –  Surrey / London10 September 2017
Very good company to work for with lots of nice people working in the field of operations and management and staff in the offices . Thumbs up !!!!!!!!
Pros
Can earn good money if you would like to move up the ladder
Cons
Can be long hrs 12hrs to 15 hrs maximum
Aweful dont bother!
Network Engineer (Former Employee) –  Crosness24 August 2017
I worked as a main contractor who employed lanes as there leading sub contractor. They are terrible at letting clients down terrible at letting there customers down and treat there work force like cattle! Alot of there staff are poorly trained and poorly paid making there work force have very little enthusiasm and very little reason to actually do a good job. Management have very little experience in drainage nor customer relation nor man management all in all I would not recommend this company to any body nor contractor!!
Pros
Little or none!!
Cons
Mostly if not all!!
Never a dull day here!
Temporary Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chester8 August 2017
I was only employed for a short time here but I genuinely enjoyed coming into work every day.
The colleagues were excellent people and it didn't take me long to be in on all the in-jokes among the longer serving members of staff
Every day was a challenge but in a good way, there wasn't ever nothing to do and I thoroughly enjoyed my (albeit brief) time working for Lanes.
hard work but worth it
Area Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex6 August 2017
Having worked for them twice I would say that it is hard work but worth it. If you are prepared to put in the time the rewards for this company are good. Long hours lots of travelling.
Pros
salary, company car, some expenses
Cons
long hours lots of travelling away from home
Drainage Engineer
Jetvac Operator / Drainage Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen6 April 2017
The job itself is really fun , always out and about in the fresh air but unfortunately the management side and sales side have a total disregard for theirs staffs safe keeping
good company
Drainage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Beckton, Greater London27 February 2017
the company as a whole was good to work for, however the office staff were very incompetent and slow at for filling their daily duties.
Ok
Senior drainage engineer (Current Employee) –  Slough Trading Estate, Berkshire11 February 2017
If you wanna be rich find a different job
Doing the Thames water contract
4 on 4 off shift pattern
Van shareing
To many Indians not enough chiefs
A lot of office staff
Pros
4 on 4 off
Cons
Not good wages
Wouldnt bother if you have a family.
Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Midland1 January 2017
The lads you can work with are brilliant.
If you have a family then don't bother applying.
The management are so incompetent it's a joke.
Ignore the comments when they say you get training as you don't.
If you ask for new ppe you won't get it. Without being complained at about youre old. Ppe
Pros
You get paid
Bad place to work AVOID
Drainage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 December 2016
Avoid at all costs .Employ anybody with no experience of the drainage industry
So even though your allegedly part of a 2 man team your basically working on your own No management support AVOID AT ALL COSTS..
Pros
Not a lot
Good Work mates
HGV 2 Driver (Former Employee) –  London SE, Greater London7 December 2016
The job was ok good work mates.
There are times when you need advise from Management but you get no response.
The Vehicles are all from other depose when they get the new ones.
Its a dirty job as its dealing with sewage.
That's why the money you get is bad.
Pros
Good people and work force
Cons
Very bad pay for what you do
Complete incompetent idiots
Driver (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire6 September 2016
I have no idea how this lot get any work. They let clients down at a astonishing rate. I do not no where to begin with the the way they treat the staff. One fellow colleague has been waiting for money owed to him for over 4 months. It is impossible to book any holidays as management are so ignorant. They never speak to staff. never answer phones text messages or return voice mails. Have told employees that had good jobs that if they came to work for them they would pay for hgv licences. Then go back on the pretence that they pulled them out of there good jobs on. And that's just the tip of things
Pros
Cons
Management are two faced bare liars
Stay well clear!
Former HGV Driver (Former Employee) –  South East31 May 2016
This company is a joke to say the least. Management lie to employees on a regular basis.

They have meetings on a regular basis and never invite employees to any of these meetings, they just exit these meetings and email to employees, more responsibility and no extra pay.

The company advertise high rates of up to £33,000 per annum knowing that this is a lie to get people in the door, promise pay review after six months, then find every excuse in the book not to increase the pay.

In London, Drivers Assistance/Back Lads are on £7.50 per hour for working in serious health risk situations.

Drivers after a year are still on £10.50 per hour for driving and working with dangerous equipment and very smelly stomach churning situations and no sick pay if you get injured, they find every excuse to blame employees for this and don't even pay Statutory Sick Pay.

They are so desperate for staff all the time, they now take anyone on and put these inexperienced people out to work with dangerous equipment after 3 days training, some are still waiting for training but yet pushed out to get on with it.

This company has the highest turnover of staff probably the highest in the country.

You have been warned, AVOID!
Pros
collogues.
Cons
No support from management, bullying, lies and very low pay.
some good points/mostly bad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Stafford18 April 2016
Worked nights and weekends pay ok. Communications not very good it was the blind leading the blind. Did not get proper information to access sites with codes etc.
Some of the work colleges were very nice but theres one grasser who was only temp twitting on people.
I was just getting into the job and enjoying it when they let me go.
Cons
Temps thinking they know it all!