Lancaster University

Lancaster University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom59 reviews
I only worked there for a short time, as a student ambassador for the Psychology department. However, these few months were the best months of my time at Lancaster University. There was a friendly ethos, and I knew that if I ever misunderstood my role, I was able to talk to my superiors in a relatively informal way, so that they could help me understand better.
A nice way to earn money while I studied. Most of my days were easy to manage and I was given good leadership by my co-ordinator. Very friendly people and fun fellow students.
I would recommend Lancaster University as a workplace for anyone who values a mentoring approach, but also wants to steer their own personal and professional development.
I worked within different roles back in 2017 and 2018. All of the roles were temporary, some of them were flexible. All of the managers were very motivational.
Lancaster University, in my experience as a student working in part-time, freelance roles to support my studies, is a supportive working environment. Whilst I have not worked full-time, I note from my own experiences and others' that many of the roles are either zero-hours or split into various part-time contracts. This suits students, but for graduates such as myself and those looking for a career, this proves problematic for stability and a living wage.
Cons
Unstable employment
very good job to take while you are a student there
it was good to work with them. They are accommodating people. work culture is very relaxed. I learned a lot there. People try to help you and make you go in a very relaxed manner.
As an invigilator the job is quite stressful at times. I believe it is a more hands on job. Each day and each exam is different with its own set of rules and regulations. Students are stressed and at times you need to be their support system to build up their confidence.
I like it. But it can be a one tone job at times.
I really enjoy working at Lancaster University. They are very understanding of the time management priorities that students who are working part time may face.
The role of a part-time student ambassador is very well-paid and is incredibly flexible to fit around studies and other academic work. Those you work with are also very friendly and make great people to work alongside.
Pros
Salary
My experience as many others was a culture of bullying and harassment by middle and senior management. Working excessive hours without support. Avoid.
I worked in the Politics, Philosophy and Religion department as a teaching associate. I was doing the work of a lecturer, despite being paid 7000 per annum less. When the HoD changed, there were massive cuts and I was transferred from a full time contract to a zero hour contract. The culture of this department is oppressive, unsupportive, and driven only by recruitment figures. Do not work here.
I worked at Lancaster as an open day ambassador. The days were fun, the team was great, it was a little bit cold but you were given all the appropriate kit. Overall good
my day was training boys and girls the game of basketball . also working on getting them in shape . helping them with problem off the court .going to away game with them on the bus .
Working as a student ambassador for the international summer school at Lancaster University was fun and fulfilling. The best thing about this role was all the new people that I had the opportunity to meet.
Your job satisfaction will really depend on what research project you work on and which academics you end up working with. I personally found the environment far too relaxed and found it hard getting my supervisors to actually give me enough project work to keep me busy.

Lots of flexibility to work from home, the office dynamic isn't too bad and the pay is quite good but if you're looking for personal development make sure you know a lot about the academics you're working with and the project itself before taking up a position.
Pros
flexible working hours, some good colleagues
Cons
research projects can feel directionless
Somehow the management teams are able to create a relaxed and fun environment while working in a fast-paced, busy role. Being a tour guide was fun, even for a relatively shy person like me, and kick-started my attraction to job roles which involve working with local communities and the public. The hardest part of the job was managing tour group sizes, as it got very busy/popular during peak times in the day. However, with great team members, and being aware of and taking initiative to include all members of the team and encourage them to take on equal shares of work, we all managed very well, with feelings of success and satisfaction by the end of the working days. Working for the university really brought me out of my shell and in just a few days of working, I felt myself grow significantly in confidence and competence. It is really a great opportunity for students to get high quality, well-paid and convenient work experience.
Pros
Free lunch, good pay, grow in confidence and experience of working with the public, make friends.
Cons
Must be fairly active or able to be on your feet for long periods of time!
Great job for students, highly recommend. Easy to fit in with studies and a great chance to meet new people and engage with others on your course. I will be doing it next year.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Visitors are sometimes rude
Great team of Invigilators. Good organisation and communication made work life easy. Opportunity to work in different teams of people and build relationships across the network of Invigilators.
Excellent company to work for. The pay is above average for a cleaner. Full sick pay after 3 months. Great holiday entitlement with all bank holidays off with pay. Supervisors are friendly and respectful and give lots of training. You trusted to be left to get on with your work in the knowledge that the supervisor is always at the end of the phone if needed and will come once a week to talk about any issues and give feedback on the job. Cleaning supplies are always topped up once a week and you always have everything you need to do your job.
Pros
Good pay, good holidays, good sick pay, understanding management
Cons
Strict rules with regards to contracted hours
One of the most relaxed environment i have ever worked in. I actually loved going to work. The people around were extremely nice and supportive. I never had any issues with anything. I loved the fact that my opinions were always valued
Pros
Friendly collegues