Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
Unhappy place to work
Working as a domestic...its a very physical job..which is fine..long time without a break..no paid breaks...short staff but supervisors and management dont roll their sleeves up to muck in ..they offer a great package on paper..plenty of holidays ( which you will have trouble booking and cant pick when you want off) and treated like your at school. Worst place i have worked to date .everyone is unhappy..... I always say a happy workforce is a better workforce ...if you have a choice ..AVOID....
Pros
Interaction with patients
Cons
Most of it
Excellent, treatment, care and compassion.
I attended pain management day case theatre 13.02.20 and wish to pay compliment to the consultant, nurses and all staff. They were excellent, calm and reassuring. I could not have got through it without the full support of the nurse looking after me and felt extremely looked after at all times. I feel all of the staff are absolutely dedicated and are working extremely hard. I would like to say thank you so much for support on the day. I certainly would recommend pain management clinic and also day case theatre at Preston Hospital to everyone.
Supportive management
I was there for 7 months.Enjoyed my work there.A very supportive management. The work place culture is empowering and helpful. Excellent place to work
Unsupportive
Need to have more awareness of disability and compassion for staff experiencing difficulties in life. Lack of support and understanding of issues affecting work. Could not recommend.
Productive and fun workplace
Work varied and always busy. Work in a waste department is driven by changes in environmental, health and safety and infection control policy There is good opportunity to interact with many different people in your working day. Waste touches everyone. The NHS is one of Britains biggest employers.
Sonographer
I enjoy my job and my boss is firm but fair. She encourages us to persue excellence in our work and keeps standards high.
Parking is terrible but as long you don't mind a bit of a walk it can be okay.
Very busy and challenging department
Working within a very busy department. Every shift can be different and working alongside others working as a team member is rewarding in itself. Taking calls from outside agencies and general public too.
Horrible place to work
Management at LHS pharmacy is shocking. No engagement with the teams in branch. Certain staff members can get away with very little work and nothing is said to them. If you are a favourite of the management you can do as you please, otherwise you will get dragged to the office and chastised over little things. Glad to have left the company. I would summarise this company as being suitable for people approaching retirement age as there is no progression whatsoever. If you are still early in your career, avoid at all costs. You have been warned!!
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust?
A Trust that now HAS collpased
I must say I have never hated a job so much in my life. When I first started there was this expectation from management that you had to know things instantly. If you did not get up to speed straight away then the bullying started. Well the reality is that learning takes time when it comes to starting a new job.
Both hospital sites are stuck in the 80’s and have way outgrown their original purpose. Directors keep putting these “action plans” and “campaigns” in place to try and address problems on site. Round and round they go for years and nothing changes and everyone just puts their head in the sand. There is no space, the roofs are leaking and buckets have to be put in corridors. No parking for staff so they have to park on the estate or park off site. The lifts are broken, all storage cupboards are bursting to the seams, equipment just left in corridors so you cannot even get past.

You notice that they seem to stick “bits here and there” from time to time. As an example most recently they have found a patch of ground to extend ICU. Very counterproductive because it will only mean even more demand on site and lack of resources – lack of parking for the extra staff and visitors etc.

Even with experience and you eventually find your feet, the bullying continues – “You need to work quicker”. Not once have I heard management admit that there is lack of resources, too few staff and demand is so high. Everything seems to be broken or way out of date. They even still use windows XP! Not enough computers for the demand of the job. There seems to be this atmosphere
 - more...
Archaic, backwards and stuffy
Beautiful example of how money is being lost in NHS. Useless management without any clear idea of how to lead a company. Hospital is a company whether you like it or not. Always blaming Carter’s report yet doing nothing to stand up in the crowd of a very serious competition. Depending on subsidiaries lead to closing a unit with scraping equipment worth half a million £. Wrong people hired for redundant posts. Micromanaging. Very sad. People leaving into unemployment just to avoid going to work which this place made them hate. Bullying atmosphere which no one is even trying to address.
Terrible place
Awful culture, disrespectful and very hierarchical. No appreciation or value for staff. Higher management live in a ivory tower called Gordan. They haven't a clue what's going on around them, too busy working in their bubble. Chaotic and therefore stressful. Pay is atrocious and career moves very limited.
Awful
Work life balance is awful, you are expected to stay late every shift. If you go off sick you lose all of your out of hours enhancements that you would have earned it working. This makes your pay a very basic below average pay. There are no benefits to working g here at all. There is a bullying culture throughout the hospital and while some managers are great, others do not help at all when you need help. Some get time off for funerals while others are told to take annual leave for a funeral, even if they are close relatives.
Booking services
This has to be the worst place to work. It's a bulling environment. You here management talking about there staff in a horrible manner .No breaks just 30 min lunch. The management are rude and lazy & have bulling tactics . It's rundown and dirty.There is no flexible working. They make you feel bad if you have to take a day off to care for your sick child.
This is NOT a good place to work!!

If your looking for a position with the NHS, do NOT go here, the only thing you will get out off working here is depression.

It's a awful toxic environment to work in. With awful management.
Pros
Cons
Not flexiable at all.
Good place to work with around 7000 highly motivated staff spread over 2 sites-Royal Preston Hospital and Chorley and South Ribble General Hospital.
Patient care is at the heart of everything you do.
Pros
Salary, pension scheme
Cons
Short staffed in all areas
A once good trust going/gone to dogs!
Increasing tick boxes , electronic assessments, audits and unreasonable targets to be met rather than focusing on direct patient care. All whilst working with increasingly limited resources, poor staffing and very little regard towards staff working their socks off under these circumstances. I was privileged to work with a great, hardworking, patient focussed team for ten years. But more and more was expected of the role and not in the interest of the patients. Often would work unpaid over hours leaving little gap between shifts. Could work a stretch of 5 shifts without getting our legally owed break. Many staff burning out and at breaking point, then given very little support. Maybey occupational health should do an audit of all areas instead of promoting their services to staff who are able to get to the canteen on a daily basis which is a rarity for most staff at front line.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Long hours, no work life balance, no break.
Excellent place to work!!!!
A typical day at work is very busy and fast paced and can be challenging but the support that I have within my team and management is exceptional. I have work for the trust 17 years and wouldn't consider moving anywhere else.
I believe in sharing the wealth, knowledge and support that has been given to me, ensuring that my team feel the same.

Royal Preston Hospital is the place to work!!!!
Pros
Working in such an amazing team
Toxic environment
LTH used to be a good Trust but has sadly been on a downward spiral for several years.

There is a bullying culture which senior managers don’t seem to want to tackle and a dreadful work life balance for staff at all levels and across all disciplines.

The organisational restructure at the Trust a couple of years ago was a travesty, from which the dust still hasn’t settled and an entire tier of senior managers carried the can.

The Execs cling on somehow but no longer have the confidence and trust of the staff who work for them.
Pros
NHS Ts&Cs
Cons
Bullying culture, incompetent senior management, no work life balance
Bad management
Management are appalling. No people skills, bullying is wrife by managers who don’t know how to manage but are brilliant at making staff feel insignificant and worthless. Staff from all departments feel the same and are all unhappy.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bad management
Staff shortages, long hours and not always able to take breaks
I enjoyed the job very much and the team I worked with were committed, professional individuals. The work was hard but the self satisfaction rewards I got from my time there compensated for the long hours and poor pay.
Pros
Knowing that I was working in an area of excellence regarding life
Cons
Lack of resources in the NHS
Shocking treatment of staff
Management appalling, no support with personal issues, lower bands get spoken to with no respect from ward managers and Sisters etc. No help or support for disabled workers. You don’t get listened to, no-one takes responsibility for sorting issues out. Staff work their socks off for no gratitude. People do this job as they love the job satisfaction it offers, certainly not the pay. No wonder so many staff off with stress, depression and are leaving. Understaffed constantly which leads to a feeling that you can’t give the care the lovely patients deserve. Parking a nightmare for shift workers and often have to park off site
Pros
Cons
Parking, Long hours, underpaid, unappreciated, lack of support, bad management
Awful
Bad management that dont have any interest in staff or patients they are only there to pick up a pay cheque. the entire hospital is in desperate need of an upgrade. there is a common theme of allowing bad and verbally abusive workers to keep their jobs and good workers get ignored. nursing staff (typically the younger ones) are rude to both patients and other staff.
Pros
You get to leave
Cons
Everything from parking to working
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.4