Lancashire County Council Employee Reviews

Plenty of Professional Support
Primary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire11 January 2018
Plenty of courses on offer. To be honest did not have that many dealings as council mainly doesn't communicate directly to teachers. The assessment and planning support is top notch if your school has paid into it.
Pros
Good resources and courses.
Cons
Work life balance.
very fun and enjoyable office
Unpaid Work experience (Former Employee) –  Whalley11 December 2017
basic clerical duties such as creating a winter maintenance rota on spreadsheet, visiting sites where work is taking place. Used a program called mapzone to locate future jobs and mark out any houses/businesses that could potentially be affected.
Job satisfaction, good team.
Home Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Rossendale28 September 2017
Good team, enables training for new skills. Regular team meetings.

Arranged to work towards NVQ Level2. Kept me within my living area, so didn't have to travel too far.
Pros
Job satisfaction. Traing toward Nvq level 2
Cons
Long hours, weekend work
Loved my time there
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 September 2017
The organisation was forward looking allowing me to develop innovative services in an emerging field of Waste Minimisation. Unfortunately as budgets across the public sector grew more scarce this was withdrawn and services reduced
Pros
Progressive
Cons
Lots of politics
Proactive and conscientious local authority
Learning Mentor (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire26 September 2017
Intense training with a relaxed atmosphere providing a diverse range of training at the individuals pace. Management were human and fun but discerning when necessary providing a well balanced workplace with the emphasis on succeeding.Hardest part was case study assessments which were destroyed during feedback but only to show with a clear understanding of how we understood and what could be done better and why.
Completing the course and putting into practice what we had learned during that intense period of training
Pros
Excellent training
Cons
Intense and high goals
Fun
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire22 September 2017
having the chance to work with young children was a really enjoyable experience. Working with children was fun and rewarding. Would loved to have spent more time here
Pros
Children
Friendly colleagues, interesting work
Library Manager (Former Employee) –  Coal Clough Library, Burnley16 August 2017
The library was a great place to work if you enjoy lots of contact with the public and can provide great customer service. A love of books and reading and some IT skills are essential.
A typical day would include issue and discharge of books, shelving books and keeping the library tidy and in order, helping customers on the public PCs.
You will learn how to deal with many types of customers, including the difficult ones.
You will also learn how to shelve books in order and create displays.
Management is usually fine although there are the odd difficult ones.
Workplace culture is friendly and helpful on the whole.
The hardest part of the job is dealing effectively with difficult customers.
The most enjoyable part is dealing with a wide variety of pleasant customers (the majority) and making new friends.
Pros
A clean and safe environment, friendly and helpful colleagues.
Cons
Unsociable hours including late nights and weekends, Some libraries have problems with unruly teenagers.
Varied and sometimes challenging
Peripatetic/mobile manager (Former Employee) –  Wyre District, Lancashire10 August 2017
Enjoyed the work always different but found you had to be a certain type of person to 'fit' and advance
Working in different school and environments. Always something to challenge a person.
I found it to be rather 'clicky'
Also found that as in many organisations the more you were willing to do the more you were taken for granted and given no credit for the work. You would be used for the management gain and then tossed aside
Pros
Variation
Cons
Too many chiefs
Not brilliant - but may have been where I worked
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Preston2 August 2017
In the beginning it was good, but the pay wasn't brilliant, employee benefits weren't brilliant either. My last manager was a qualified primary school teacher which often showed. The head of service was incompetent, and later wasn't successful when interviewing for her job and the grade below!! Too many restructures and relocation. But it may have just been the department I worked in.
excellent to work for
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  all Hallows Catholic high school penwortham26 July 2017
I enjoyed working at all Hallows school I was left to bo my jod from start to finish, the teachers and office staff where very friendly and helpful at all times, and my work colleagues became my friends we were a happy work force, I was very sad to leve my jod cos I moved to wakefield to be with my partner
Pros
term time
Cons
non
Fantastic work experience
Active Health Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire13 July 2017
Having worked with Active Health for 4 months last year on a voluntary position I can say this was invaluable and has helped me find work within the private sector.
Good Employer
Business Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Preston12 July 2017
Flexible working hours. Good variety of jobs and experiences. Difficult times at the moment due to funding issues - many reviews to team and directorates over the last few years. However still remains a good employer with the possibility of advancement.
Difficult with all the austerity cuts
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancashire29 June 2017
I have learned very good communication and negotiation skills.
Working with a diverse community.
Working in partnership with other agencies in a multi agency capacity.
Most enjoyable part was being able to offer support and help and advice to children and families in need and to affect change for the better for these families.
Experienced staff and fun workplace
Foster Carer (Current Employee) –  Burnley28 June 2017
Working at Brunshaw was a great place to work. I worked with a very diverse children who needed a lot of support throughout the day but I enjoyed this.
I left here as the post was only temporary and if I could of had the chance I would have stayed longer.
I made good relationships with all staff and children and the management were a pleasure to work for.
Pros
hardworking staff
Cons
Excellent employer lots of benefits, the pay could be better but worth it for some of the perks.
Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire20 June 2017
Although I may have disagreed with management a few times, overall the team spirit was good, flexi time and the occasional overtime was great and if your based in Preston it is very easy to get too.
A place where everyone matters
Centre Manager (Former Employee) –  Rossendale, Lancashire15 June 2017
one of the largest local authority in England, employs over 40000 people in a very wide range of jobs. An excellent employer with lots of career progression opportunities.
Pros
great local authority
Cons
central gov't budget cuts resulting into major redundencies
Good training
Foster Carer (Former Employee) –  St Annes, Lancashire2 June 2017
Very long hours,it's 24/7 care within the home, some very difficult cases & placements.
Not much support, as resources are stretched.
Lots of frequent up to date training.
Pros
Felt like I was giving a child some support, when it needed it most. Time, love & care.
Cons
Long hours.
Fun workplace
Welfare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Padiham, Lancashire31 May 2017
I get on very well with all the staff,I have learnt how to priorities tasks,the management of the school I work at is fantastic,the workplace itself is great the children and all the staff have made me feel so welcomed and I get on with everyone,the hardest part of my job is trying to make sure all children are safe and secure when we are short staffed,the most enjoyable part of my job is when the children come to me and give me a cuddle cause I know I have made an impact on that childs school life.
Pros
I get to work with children, Working at m childrens school.
Cons
Not being able to work more hours.
Loved working for LCC
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Lancashire16 May 2017
Excellent council to work for, managers were amazing, very supportive and would go above and beyond to help you be the best practitioner you could be!
Management structure
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire16 May 2017
LCC has recently undergone lots of enforced changes which did not agree with my work ethic and work life balance so took the opportunity to take earl;y retirement
Pros
Working conditions