Lancashire Constabulary Employee Reviews

fast paced but takes its toll on personal life and family
Police Constable (Current Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire2 January 2020
you get what you put in but when it goes wrong the force will not protect you. Massive experience of things most will never ever see, varied and fast paced
Pros
varied and at times exciting
Cons
limits family life and no protection if things go wrong
flexible
HR assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston18 October 2019
flexible working and part time hours work well with my family commitments outside my job. There is a on site free gym which is accessible for all staff
Was fun at first
Police mechanic (Former Employee) –  Preston27 July 2019
Was brilliant when I first started as a mechanic as a mechanic
But soon as time went by management went badly down hill and there was no communication or trust put in by the vehicle fleet manager there was no bond from him to the workshop it was terrible and there was no motivation or help whennneeded other than that the charge hands were brilliant and so were the other mechanics
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Poor management no communication from the higher management
great environemt
Crime Scene Placement (Former Employee) –  Hutton11 May 2019
the placement was great as it gave me good experience for my dream job in the future and it was really interesting to see how a CSI works and to work in the day of a life of a CSI
Productive and fun workplace
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Wyre, Lancashire10 February 2019
excellent in-house training, support given is second to none. Excellent communicating within the company and staff welfare comes first. Multiple options to develop oneself.
Fantastic
Police cadet leader (Current Employee) –  Blackburn9 January 2019
this volunteer role is fantastic for the teens, because it will give you the skills which you can't learn easily in other ways. This role is really great if you want to be in Police.
Engaging
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire16 August 2018
Working as a special constable is rewarding and engaging, working with all parts of the community as a police officer, it comes with a lot of responsibility but with full training provided they make sure you can tackle any obstacle.
An Unique Experience.
Community Support Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Blackpool, Lancashire2 July 2018
As a Community Support Volunteer, you experience the more behind the scenes of Lancashire Constabulary as you work closely with a Community Policing Team.

As a Community Support Volunteer, you play to your strengths and give as much time as possible, whether it's as an Administration Assistant, Event Volunteer or Beat Volunteer. There is a role for everyone.
Pros
You get to help a busy Police Force and take some of the load.
Cons
Sometimes people don't appreciate Police Volunteers living among them.
Fun workplace
Grounds Maintenance Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Lancashire Constabulary27 March 2018
I arrive at work at 7.30 and finish at 4 I work flexible hours and sometimes work weekends. My job includes a various of things from grass cutting, weeding, line marking and leaf collection . I use a range of different equipment and I am also qualified in using pesticide . I am now looking for a new opportunity.
The life of a PCSO
Police Community Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Lancashire1 February 2018
I work closely with the Police and deal mainly with low level crime on a council housing estate, speaking to members of the public and working with partner agencies.

I learned organisation and planning, effective communication and team work. I also learned that people have different strengths and weaknesses and you must work together to deal with challenging problems to find the best possible solution.

The management is very good and everyone knows their role well. The line managers are supportive and understanding, always wanting the best for the staff.

The office is a productive, fun environment but can often be tense depending on the staff. There is clearly a divide between certain officers and people tend to sit and work with 'their team' and rarely deviate from this.

The hardest part of the job is feeling that you are viewed as 'less' than a regular constable by members of the public, other police officers and society as a whole, which can often be demoralising. Also there is no prospect of promotion, other than joining the police as a 'regular'.

The most enjoyable part of the job is working with like minded people who are kind considerate and fun, and improving the quality of life and security for the community. Also, each day is new and offers a different challenge as the role is so varied.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
No promotion
Team Work
Response Officer (Former Employee) –  Colne30 January 2018
Responded to emergency calls to variety of incidents ranging form personal matter to murders. As a result of employment within the police I have learned so much how to deal a variety scenarios ranging from assisting people with directions to getting hands on in effecting arrest, diffusing volatile situations but in general ensuring the members of the public felt safe and reassured and got the service they deserved. Problem solving is a huge part of the job as well as an up to knowledge.As a result of regular training and self study rules and regulations were complied with. This was enhanced safe in the knowledge that if you did not know the correct way to deal with a situation that a call to a work colleague or immediate supervision to assist in making a positive decision. Predominately you worked alone but being part of team you were reassured that if you got into tight situations your team mates were always on hand to help out.
Management within the police are extremely supportive and where at all possible will encourage promotion and assist in that.
One of the most enjoyable aspects of the job is customer satisfaction knowing you have done a good job for that person. For example catching and arresting the burglar who has stolen property, reuniting members of family after a loved has gone missing or even just being able to offer advice about a personal issue that affects them.
Being a police officer for over 13 years I have witnessed and been involved in many incidents and feel that almost any scenario presented to me could be resolved by myself and if I did know the answer
  more... I will endeavor to find the solution to get the right result.
Being part of the police is like a large family and you make a lot of friends both inside work and outside of the workplace. You need to be able to get on with your colleagues because ultimately you you may need to rely on them in life and death situations.
One of the hardest parts of the job of which I dont think I could ever get used to is having to inform family members that loved has been found deceased. Dealing with sudden deaths is a part of the job and unfortunately something I had to be involved with on numerous occasions during my career. Compassion and professionalism is required when family members are present and if I could make the whole process as painless for those members of the family present I felt accomplished. And on a similar vein another part of the job which was not nice was waking people up in the early hours of the morning to inform them that a family member had passed away.
There are many many highlights to my career within the police and I would to think that I have left a positive mark on hundreds and hundreds of peoples lives and this pleases me.
Pros
Customer satisfaction
Cons
Justice system failing the community with light sentences
Fast paced, large environment.
Administrative Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire27 January 2018
During my time at Lancashire Constabulary I enjoyed working in a fast paced large scale environment, both with a team and individually. I enjoyed working with both members of my own team as well as colleagues from both internal and external departments, in order to achieve goals.
Enjoyed my time there but they've lost my respect
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Lancashire25 January 2018
Well where do I start... i had a great career in the police, worked hard to get in and felt so proud of my achievement. First few years were so much fun you actually felt like you were doing the job you applied for, until you find it is a big cycle of dealing with the same people day in day out. You will become jack of all trades and make friends for life in this job, and these people make it all bearable as the banter and closeness of a team is like a family. You and them people will keep things going, that is the PCs & the SGTS, they are the ones keeping things safe and not having much of a family life and missing out on important milestones in their children's lives. The time you will give to this job will have you thinking you need to set up camp at your station, but you do it because you worked hard to get in this job you loved and years will go by and you will notice there's no thanks for what you do. Respect on the street is low you have to bite your tongue or else you will get complaint after complaint for speaking the truth. Unless you have a decent sgt rather than an acting one who is trying to impress ranks above, you are pretty much alone as they're usually not going to have your back. Most of the time you are single crewed as they want the place to look more busier with cops, never mind how unsafe that is! be prepared to stay over time, days off due to operations cancelled, spend hours stuck inside dealing with a prisoner and paperwork, or hours in a hospital with a prisoner pretending to be ill... basically a lot of your time will be wasted and there is nothing  more... you can do about it as the bigger bosses know best so rules don't get changed because of fear of upsetting whoever. Without being too negative about the job it might not be so bad as your entering it whilst its at its worse so wont know any different. I have just seen a massive downfall over the years due to cuts and not getting what we signed up for and I still know many officers who are counting down the days till they can escape like as if they're in prison :) In my opinion of the workplace your face has to fit to actually advance career wise once in the job, there isn't much opportunities and when there is it never seems to be the fair choice. Work life balance is an absolute mess if your a female with young children and with no help, your screwed with a big fight on your hands basically. The process to apply for flexible working is extremely stressful and you realise then that once you have given so much to the job for many years, you don't get nothing back once you want a little support back. I could write a book about it all and if you want some life experiences and things to look back on and tell your grandkids about, go for it as you will never be short of stories to tell. Just hope the place makes some changes for the cops who are being run ragged. Oh the best part is driving a neenaw car!  less
Brilliant place to work
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hutton, Lancashire27 September 2017
So many benefits to working here. The management is exceptional, the priority for the company is to keep staff happy but serve the public to the best of their ability which is exceptional. The flexi time scheme is good also!
Pros
Flexi
excellent job but to many restrictions
Police Community Support Officer (Former Employee) –  lancashire3 September 2017
Absolutely loved my job as a PCSO working with the general public sorting out local issues and holding meetings.
Revisited victims of crime after issues.
Many restrictions due to lack of powers though.
Pros
working with the public
Cons
lack of powers
Productive and enjoyable workplace
referrals assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire1 August 2017
I am based in Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub with police staff, health, social works and probation. I share police information with other agencies to entail safety of vulnerable children and adults
Pros
rewarding to be helping vulnerable children and adults
Cons
There are going to be changes made in working practises which are unsettling for staff
GreatPlace to work
Detective Constable (Former Employee) –  Lancashire20 April 2017
Enjoyed my 20 years of police service working for Lancashire Constabulary. Can be a very stressful and demanding role, dealing with various incidents on a daily basis.
Professional employer
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire17 January 2017
I worked for Lancashire Constabulary for 32 years and found them to be a fair employer that recognised and rewarded hard work.
Pros
Pension
day to day work
data cleanser (Current Employee) –  Preston28 September 2016
start working on what we have been given, learnt many different things, get on well with co-workers hardest part is long hours enjoy the job, things i have learnt from this job is how to time management better and to imrove my skills
Pros
good work experience
Cons
the travel time
Brilliant Police Force to work for.
Special Constable (Current Employee) –  Morecambe28 June 2016
There is no typical day as a special constable, every day is different,
I have learned lots of new skills through this role too.