Lakeland Employee Reviews

Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham20 July 2019
Great company to work for learnt a lot in my time there about the products we sold , great family Team in the staff , overall just a lovely place to work .
Pros
Free lunches in what we used to cook in store
Cons
A lot of thieving by our not so nice customer s which spoilt it for our lovely customer s.
steady work
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Kendal2 August 2018
good work and a good laugh with the perm staff that is there, shame that all the current vacancies are all temp. i enjoyed my time there and wouldn't hesitate to return
Pros
plenty of work when on shift
Cons
temp contracts
Not a bad place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 June 2018
I had a neutral experience when I was working at Lakeland. Staff were friendly, with a reasonable discount of 20% and discounts for grocery brands as well. However, it gets extremely boring to the point where you are standing around daydreaming. There's hardly anything to do, and the customers often know what they want. The Sunday shifts often feel like a weekday shift. What's funny is the staff claim its very busy but I guess they're not very exposed to a fast-paced working environment. A downside for me was if you're doing a 6-hour shift you only get a 15-minute break which is ridiculous because that's hardly a break and with an 8-hour shift you get 30 mins but can choose to take an hour which is a plus. If you're looking for a downtime job, then Lakeland is definitely for you. Like I said benefits are great and staff are friendly so it's a win-win situation.
Pros
20% discount, discount at grocery stores, great pay (£8.25)
Cons
short breaks, tedious and slow days
An enjoyable place to work
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Windermere, Cumbria3 June 2018
Lakeland promotes a family ethos and is an enjoyable place to work. From my 8 years of working there, I have learnt that customer service is absolutely essential. They take pride in customer care and put it at the forefront of everything they do.
Pros
Discounted gym membership
Extraordinary place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Somerset26 May 2018
Lovely place to work where you are truly valued as a staff member. Have high standards of pracise and exceptional customer service with a real family feel,
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
not alot of progression
Friendly workplace
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire17 May 2018
It is a very friendly environment to work in, and not too stressful. It can sometimes be a a little quiet in the shop, meaning there is not always a lot to do so there is a lot of standing around. Nonetheless it is still a lovely shop to work in.
Cons
Can get very quiet
Great Company to work for
Freelance Visual merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Windermere19 March 2018
Never had a typical day!

Traveling to stores around the country to train/ help staff in the basics of display.

Plan and implement mock windows for Photography to be sent out to stores.

Working out and setting up the annual Press-Show
Pros
Fabulous Company
Cons
Traveling and being away from home most of the time
Advancemnet
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Brent Cross18 March 2018
Lakeland has a grading structure. You start as a grade 1 and can work up to grade 2, which has more responsibilities. There is also the position of Team Leader, whose job it is to ensure the smooth running of the team and reports to the Store Manager.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Unsociable hours
Educational place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City28 February 2018
Serving customers, stock replenishment, general housekeeping.
Learnt a lot of product knowledge, how to do banking, how to do stock counts etc.
No comment on management.
Pros
discount
awesome place to work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London2 February 2018
I love working for Lakeland because every day is different. A typical day at work is usually fairly quiet customer wise however there is always something to do and it means we can spend more time with the customers that are in the store. It also means that the shop is tidy most of the time. Between 12pm and 3pm is the customer window and so that means all of our attention is focused on the customer which means no tidying.
I am learned so much while I have been at Lakeland. I learned how to interact with customers a lot better than before this job. I have also been given more responsibilities than any other jobs such as banking and keys to certain parts of the store.
The management in the store I would say is firm but fair. My manager and an open door policy so if you have any queries we are able to go to her about them. If you aren't doing what you're supposed to be doing the manager will quickly let you know.
The hardest part of the job for me is not getting angry at the angry or mean customers that come in from time to time. Our policy at work is to always be happy and if you have a customer who has a complaint or is unhappy in someway it does make it hard to be able to keep interacting with the customer in this manor. Because of the location of the store as well we do sometimes get bomb scares and thefts. That being said it is the best job I have ever had because I get along with all of my colleagues, it's a pretty easy going job and most of the customers who come into the store are pretty friendly and quite happy to chat with you.
Pros
acknowledgement from higher up
Cons
Too far away
Ok if you like working weekends and after hours when you shouldn't be at work
Higher grade (Former Employee) –  Nottingham28 December 2017
I loved this place untill they started changing the way of working and cut our hours we never stopped all day even worked in our own time when we should have been going home I hated Lakeland in the end well not Lakeland but the place that I worked at I worked at my place of work from the day it opened but we where expected to work for nothing we got no support from management not even a thank you
Pros
A lot of training but only when it suits
Cons
Long days and expected to put stock out after time when we didn't get paid
Lakeland Customer Service Centre
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Windermere, Cumbria18 December 2017
Working at the Windermere Customer Service Centre was a balanced experienced. Although I only worked there for about three months I can say that the experience was mixed.

The initial training was for one week and intense. It was not combined with much in the way of practical elements and was quite inefficient. I found it stressful and wondered if I would be able to do the work.

My first day was a long shift of ten hours. It was actually not so bad and didn't really reflect the intensity of the training.

I soon got into taking customer orders and started to enjoy the work. I found that the staff were all very friendly and helpful. This was genuine and made a real difference.

There are a few things that were not so appealing however. The pay was just above the minimum and well below cleaning jobs in the area. For the degree of skill required I thought the pay was very low. There was no mention of the hourly rate until the end of the interview, which was not very up-front.

Another issue was that the colleagues are not allowed to park on site at weekends of holidays (half-terms etc). Parking is very limited and it can be stressful not knowing where you'll get a space each day. They do have a free bus service if you life in nearby Kendal though, which is a nice touch.

Customer Service staff work on a data entry system which can be very flaky and unintuitive. Some things on it are clever whilst other aspects are simply not. You do get the hang of it though but it does show a lack of investment in such an important system.

You are entitled to un-paid breaks in
  more... the day. Thirty minutes for lunch and either two fifteen minute breaks of one thirty minute break, depending on your shift.

You do get a staff discount (20%), which is great. The staff facilities are also very nice in Windermere.
Pros
Friendly, helpful staff. Good canteen facilities
Cons
Poor pay, lack of staff parking, flaky system
Good opportunity
Showroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich City Centre, Norfolk3 December 2017
I met a lot of great people in my time working with Lakeland and was able to refine my skills and gain experience. In my time with the company I helped Lakeland establish and maintain a good presence in Norwich City Centre.
Fun Place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside13 November 2017
Fun place to work, the colleagues are friendly and helpful if you're new. Can be fast paced and require high standard of quality. Need to be approachable and warm to customers.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not many breaks
Poor team support
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Kendal8 November 2017
16 hours contract. Unsociable hours due to being evening work. Lack of team structure because of temporary work. Great pay. Excellent training offered.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor team spirit
Good enviroment to work in
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh2 October 2017
During my time working at Lakeland as a Temporary Customer Assistant I had many responsibilities. Some of these included;
Providing excellent customer service: Engaging with customers, being approachable and proactive, listening to customer requests and queries and providing assistance to meet their individual needs.
  Developing Product Knowledge: Having to develop a good working knowledge of products in store, their locations and proactively keeping up to date with any new product lines or changes.
Administration & Organisation: Replenishing stock on the shop floor to ensure products are available and accessible, maintaining high standard of merchandising and housekeeping.
Operating the EPOS tills accurately and competently and handling cash transactions.
Lakeland Ambassador: Being passionate about the Lakeland brand, consistently delivering positive and friendly service to all customers.
Nice Working Environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgemere6 June 2017
The overall working environment was good, however there were bad management staff that would pass on their problems to other members of the team. The other people in the team had to organise the team more and they would choose how the shop layout was. It was always hard to find where things were because most items were moved on the weekdays and only working there on weekends meant that when i came to work things were always in different places.
Pros
Nice people
strict and stressful
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 May 2017
this was my first job after leaving school and I found it to be quite a miserable place to work. Dominated by a female work force, so it can feel very hostile at times if you're a new member of staff. More often than not you feel like you're being surveyed for the entire shift even if there is very little to do.
Good company to work for!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells21 May 2017
Very good company to work for, always a positive atmosphere and friendly staff. Secure place of work due to lots of return custom and good quality kitchen and homeware.
High standards
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester18 May 2017
The customers were mostly friendly, management expect you to be busy and to give excellent service at all times. You need to have good product knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lakeland. Our community is ready to answer.