Laing O'Rourke Management reviews

I was forced to quit my job after my complaint of racial hatred demonstrated against me by the manager of the Company
Electrical Inspection & Testing (Former Employee) –  Block F; White City; London16 June 2019
On 18 March 2019 the Logistic Manager of the company openly, before witnesses demonstrated racial hatred against me based on my non-British origin. One Month, after complaining, I was shamefully expelled from work. The same manager continues to work undisturbed on the same position.
Pros
Until then, I was impressed by the Company's working conditions.
Cons
Racial Hatred, Low education of the management team, Ignorance of human rights, The company defends racism in construction, where 90% of workers are non-British.
Work
Assistant Digital Engineer (Current Employee) –  UK7 June 2019
Laing O’Rourke is a privately owned, internationally focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities spanning the entire client value chain. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world's most prestigious public and private organisations.
Nice working environment
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartford23 September 2018
Every day is very busy.
I have improved my communication skills and learned to deal with legal requests for payments.
Management in general is fair.
The open plan offices are clean, people are friendly.
Couldn't find any hard part in the job.
Communication with sites and suppliers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
Challenging
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 June 2018
Direct line manager based at centralised location. Only visted my office three times in four months. Out of touch with reality. Dont believe he has ever worked in a project team environment.
Pros
good work place infrastructure
Cons
Little line management support
A great company to work for.
Service layer. (Former Employee) –  London6 January 2018
Installation of new water mains and services. A fantastic team spirit and good work ethic. The management were very helpful and always there to give you advice about the job if you needed any and they were very approachable. The hardest part was getting therer in the morning as i was travelling to London every day. The team spirit was the best thing.
Pros
Great team spirit .
Cons
Sometimes long hours.
Health &safety excellent
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Colnbrook3 January 2018
Great company with very good management team health &safety excellent very friendly staff excellent pay with bonuses also with very good clean vehicles
Pros
No pressure on drivers
Productive and learned new things
Package Manager (Current Employee) –  London14 November 2017
Very well structured company with distinct role responsibilities.
Fun to work at, many things learned, full support from the management.
Overall, a great company to work with.
very hard and fast working
steel fixer (Former Employee) –  intu watford10 October 2017
deadlines had to be met and management was very unorganised. Not very organised when coming down to paperwork and communication was a very hard thing to get from them.
Friendly place
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent24 June 2017
Is a nice place to work as a cleaner its nice the office staff treat you as oart of the team. Hours are great with no weekends bank holidays and christmas is great you get the week off sometimes more , although you do have to deduct from holiday entitlement. There is a cafe all the staff are really friendly.
Pros
No bank holidays or weekends close for xmas great pay for the work would be hard to match
Cons
Management can have strange ideas
good company to work
ELECTRICAL MATE (Former Employee) –  country wide19 June 2017
liang o rourke are a pretty good company to work for with plenty of benifit. ie health care and other incentives aswell the only downside is the relativly sort notice of where you are working and some poor site management.
Plesant colleagues, slightly unstable management, lots of pressure.
Trainee Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire2 June 2017
Plesant people to work alongside, however Management seems to be luck of the draw. Few managers seem to be laid back and friendly with their team members, others bully members into producing good manufacture figures.

Fairly stressful, with little to no support from higher management. As I trainee I recieved no official training, everything was learn on the job, but I recieved openly displayed dissatisfaction with my work if anything was incorrect.
Pros
Free dinks machine
Cons
Overtime was expected, but monthy paid employees do not get paid for any overtime hours. To recieve payment for overtime, you had to be invited back, which would probably take place on a Saturday for Full Time Employees.
Laing Orourke
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Numerous31 May 2017
Laing Orourke long working day 7am to 6pm.
Very poor work life balance with long working day plus travel to and from work leading to 14 hour work days.
Laing Orourke expect staff to travel throughout UK with very little notice.
Poor procurement processes.
Very subcontract package management orientated.
Management structure going through changes and unclear at present.
Pros
Good pay and pension.
Cons
Very long hours and relocation expected.
amazing place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire20 May 2017
I was taken through the crash course on how to run a pub whilst working as a groundworker for laing orourke on the bt head quarters in leavesden, the management and work place culture in both these vocations was second to none
Pros
both jobs were an education
Cons
long hrs
No training
Accounts Administrator (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire25 November 2016
I worked in finance for several weeks and are so glad I made the decision to leave. The management needs more training in how to manage people!
My co-workers were unhelpful the hardest part of the job was trying to learn, it was none stop, I had no help. and was expected to work extra, go to meetings, and other sites which had nothing to do with my job, at no extra pay.

The whole management needs retraining, more help for new employees is required.
I was told in my interview I would be doing a lot less work, but actually it was so much more work and could not be achieved in 9 hours.
Pros
Good rate of pay
Cons
Long hours no management skills.
bad work place
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 November 2016
I would not work for this company again they dont have a clue about security work they should stick to building trades.all the co-worker's were great to work with but management not to good.
Productive - Experienced Professionals
PTS Dumper / Roller driver (Former Employee) –  Willesden Junction Station20 June 2016
I have learned how to keep things clean and presentable and it has helped me become a more organised person. It has helped me follow rules and regulations due to the strict health and safety rules that we have to abide by.

The lads i was working with were a good set of lads,we all got on like brothers

Management was very approachable and helpful.

The most enjoyable part meeting people from all over the uk and from all level of classes
Probably the hardest part of the job is when the building is finished and everyone moves on.
Pros
great working team
Cons
I was paid for 9 of the 10 hours as 1 hr is unpaid lunch
Ambitious forward looking company
Chauffeur to Group CEO (Former Employee) –  Dartford20 May 2016
The positives of Laing O'Rourke far out way the negatives. Generally a very caring family orientated company. Very happy to have had the chance to work for them although long hours. Great Management and co workers and a very ambitious company superbly led by a very good and down to earth Chairman.
Pros
Lots of benefits
productive
Electrician (Current Employee) –  London8 April 2016
Very good company , many weekends work. good management.
Many building sites in the city. using good tools and equipment.
Cons
Not a very Nice place to work
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  manchester2 February 2016
this company employ people who think that they know it all. Not be given the chance to do the job. Senior management do not listen to your ideas and as such it is not a good place to work. Do not work for this company. No chance of any training and no chance to progress and gain a promotion. Wasted 2 years of my working life with this company.
Pros
False promisses
Cons
long hours and no work life balance

Comment – 26 April 2016

This company also make people redundant after 39 years service. there are an utter disgrace to the engineering world of work. When we have no more use for you it is bye bye.

Excellent company to work for
Site Security Officer (Current Employee) –  MANCHESTER22 January 2016
Great company security long nights and weekends
Reflected by the wage that is payed
Site security the management are professional
Courteous
And easy to work for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laing O'Rourke. Our community is ready to answer.