Laing O'Rourke Employee Reviews

I was forced to quit my job after my complaint of racial hatred demonstrated against me by the manager of the Company
Electrical Inspection & Testing (Former Employee) –  Block F; White City; London16 June 2019
On 18 March 2019 the Logistic Manager of the company openly, before witnesses demonstrated racial hatred against me based on my non-British origin. One Month, after complaining, I was shamefully expelled from work. The same manager continues to work undisturbed on the same position.
Pros
Until then, I was impressed by the Company's working conditions.
Cons
Racial Hatred, Low education of the management team, Ignorance of human rights, The company defends racism in construction, where 90% of workers are non-British.
Work
Assistant Digital Engineer (Current Employee) –  UK7 June 2019
Laing O’Rourke is a privately owned, internationally focused engineering enterprise with world-class capabilities spanning the entire client value chain. We operate an integrated business model comprising the full range of engineering, construction and asset management services delivering single-source solutions for some of the world's most prestigious public and private organisations.
Assistant Planner
Assistant Planner (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire27 May 2019
A great company, that has a lot of potential. Lots of hours, the environment was typically stale. However, if you are seeking job satisfaction then every role was meaningful.
not a a bad place to work
Apprentice piler (Former Employee) –  Dartford15 May 2019
place offers one of the best salary and benefit scheme around at the moment only problem is having to relocate often and the work life can be a bit depressing working outside all the time but not a abd place to work
Good company
Quantity Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 March 2019
Well run company with opportunities for progression. Offers good experience to learn best practice. Overall an enjoyable place to work with like minded people.
Workplace
Steel Fixing Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2019
At the start of my apprenticeship I was enjoying my time with this company. Really enjoyable at college, but on site it just was not for me. This job made me realise work working on a construction site is actually like for an apprentice and it is not nice at all.
Working for Laing O'Rourke was enjoyable and a challenge, but in my opinion there is a lot of internal politics that I did not like.
Technical Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Based at Home, Travelled all of UK and Europe22 January 2019
I worked for Laing O'Rourke Group (LOR) for over twelve years and enjoyed my various roles and challenges.
I became Chartered at my profession working for LOR.
There is internal politics that I did not enjoy.
In my opinion to be employed and to be on the best package external candidates received the best remunerations as personnel already working for LOR it is hard to receive the same packages as external candidates.
Productive and fun place to work in
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  London14 October 2018
The staff are nice and welcoming. Everyone is patient and understanding. They take high measures for employees' safety. They work as a team and support each other by having regular meetings. They provide apprenticeships and work experience for young people.
Pros
Employees can leave the building for lunch, Everyone is allowed to be a few minutes late due to traffic
Cons
Staff don't always attend all meetings
You need to work hard but are quite well rewarded.
Electrical Manager (Current Employee) –  London10 October 2018
Expected to work long hours and demonstrate high commitment but the projects are well run and interesting to work on. Personal development is quite good also.
Nice working environment
Accounts Payable Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartford23 September 2018
Every day is very busy.
I have improved my communication skills and learned to deal with legal requests for payments.
Management in general is fair.
The open plan offices are clean, people are friendly.
Couldn't find any hard part in the job.
Communication with sites and suppliers is the most enjoyable part of the job.
working out on site
Technician Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 August 2018
started working in construction and gained so much knowledge, also some of the best engineers whom like to help other grow in there career. enjoyed so mum I think one of the best companies I have worked for.
Brilliant
Process operator (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 August 2018
Good wages good managers interesting work. It is a good firm to work for. Lads get looked after well. Work as ma y hours as you like..................
Pros
Money lots of it
Cons
Long shifts lots of hours.
Challenging
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 June 2018
Direct line manager based at centralised location. Only visted my office three times in four months. Out of touch with reality. Dont believe he has ever worked in a project team environment.
Pros
good work place infrastructure
Cons
Little line management support
General Foreman - Infrastructure EPS3 (Former Employee) –  Sellafield8 June 2018
Whilst working at Laing O'Rourke I was responsible for Coordinating with all work packages and responsible for looking after working at heights. Ensuring all work was delivered Safely.
Pros
Use of vehicle for work
Cons
Hard work but great experience
Human Capital Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartford18 April 2018
During my time at LOR I covered all types of HR work. It was a varied and fast paced working environment with some great teams and dedicated staff who loved what they did.
Pros
Good salary
productive
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway13 March 2018
Overall good experience workin for laing o'rourke, learnt a lot from the the job role and learnt many skills which that can translate into a new job role.
Good envirobment
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Worksop, Nottinghamshire23 February 2018
The people were friendly and helpful, excellent place to start first time work experience. Learnt plenty of functional skills like the workings behind budgeting and engineering.
A great company to work for.
Service layer. (Former Employee) –  London6 January 2018
Installation of new water mains and services. A fantastic team spirit and good work ethic. The management were very helpful and always there to give you advice about the job if you needed any and they were very approachable. The hardest part was getting therer in the morning as i was travelling to London every day. The team spirit was the best thing.
Pros
Great team spirit .
Cons
Sometimes long hours.
Good for Development Opportunities
Plumbers Mate (Former Employee) –  Dartford4 January 2018
Very good at identifying best opportunities for developing staff according to their skill sets.

Like committed staff and promote within.

Preferred Plumbing roles to Logistics as very rewarding, hands on and better job satisfaction from delivering quality - you can see the quality directly in the work you do as creativity and problem solving is required.
Pros
Hands on working
Cons
Logistics very demanding and less sympathetic to staff workloads
Health &safety excellent
HGV Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Colnbrook3 January 2018
Great company with very good management team health &safety excellent very friendly staff excellent pay with bonuses also with very good clean vehicles
Pros
No pressure on drivers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laing O'Rourke. Our community is ready to answer.