L'Occitane Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Awful manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham New Street Station, West Midlands22 May 2019
The manager of the grand central store in Birmingham is a bully. I was made to feel uncomfortable every time I was at work. She would greet other employees with a hug and ignore me completely. Her contribution to the business was minimal. She stood behind a computer all day,yet took credit for anything that went well. I was given no formal training, just a folder to work through, yet she expected me to train new staff. When thefts occurred in the store, She made me feel that she believed i’d allowed it to happen or taken it myself. Never in all my years in retail have I ever felt under suspicion, so this was incredibly distressing.
Due to my vast experience and success as a manager in beauty, I was expected to increase the store’s share in facial skin care business, yet the only training I received on these products was what I had read. In my previous jobs in cosmetics I was given plenty of training so felt knowledgeable and confident in the products I was selling. I felt like I was unable to achieve the targets I was given due to a lack of training.
My work/life balance was appalling as I did the majority of the late night store closings and Sunday’s, with her having a lot of weekends off.
it was clear from my first day that she didn’t like me. I attempted to be friendly and supportive, but this was rebuffed. I was constantly told how wonderful the previous assistant manager was and was even told that “the area manager chose you for this role, not me” For the few months that I was there my mental health suffered due to the behaviour of this woman. I was off sick for a month,
  more... having panic attacks and nightmares because of how I was made to feel. I put in a formal complaint, but I’m certain she is still continuing her reign of terror.
Such a beautiful store and lovely products, but please think carefully before you consider working for them, as I would not want anyone else to be treated the way that I was. The area manager is very nice and did his best to support me, but the store manager made it very clear that he was on her side and that I should be raising issues with her and not escalating them to him. Awful, horrible way to work.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management, Hours, lack of training