Kumon Employee Reviews

Thrilling and exhilarating workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2016
After having worked at Kumon, I have been able to develop and build on my communication and leadership skills, and work as efficiently as possible in a busy environment routinely. This was a thrilling environment in which my co-workers and management team helped each other, constantly encouraging improvement in my abilities as a teaching assistant.

Over the past few months I have been promoted to various leadership and management roles in a short period of time, such as being the head of the marking and recording table, being in charge of accounting finances, and communicating with parents at the front desk. These various positions have taught me how to adapt to highly stressful situations, use my intuition when needed, and communicate well with my co-workers to allow a steady stream of work to flow.
Pros
Highly rewarding job
Cons
Weekday shifts
Rewarding and fun
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Derby15 September 2016
Fun work environment, and satisfying helping children further their education. Easy colleagues to work with. A typical work day involved teaching pupils maths and English, marking their work and ensuring they understand and can correct their mistakes.
Assistant teacher (Former Employee) –  London4 September 2016
It was a good job at the time, helped me develop good communication skills right after Secondary School.

I learnt how to teach younger children and learnt how to communicate parents.

I learnt leadership skills as I was in charge of my own table and group of children an had to support them with core subjects e.g English and Maths.

It was a pleasant place to work.
Excellent
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Whitchurch22 August 2016
A friendly and relaxed environment. Flexible working hours and shifts. Friendly and sociable co-workers. Good management. You get to learn how to interact with young children, keep your basic maths and English skills up to date and learn patience while teaching small children.
not good.
Class Assistant (Former Employee) –  manchester8 August 2016
i get paid very low. its ridiculous. we have to stand and get low pay.
we stand up we cant sit down to help the early learners.

the hour and pay is very short.
Pros
nothing to be honest
Cons
short hours and low pay
Amazing and self rewarding
Tutor Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 August 2016
I got this job as a part time role as I was completing my A levels. I loved it as it was very satisfying and rewarding, knowing that I was able to help others better their education.
Nice environment but no hope for salary raises
Part Time Tutor (Former Employee) –  London26 July 2016
Very friendly staff and children. Everything is managed well however you have no hope for a pay rise, despite being promised so when taking the job.
Pros
Friendly children
Cons
Low pay and no raises
fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry13 July 2016
Kumon was a productive and fun workplace as it involved great interaction with students. Typically i would have 1-on-1 tuition sessions with students and record/mark their work. I learnt how to deal with the pressures of time management and the workload. I also learnt how to work well as a team by helping each other when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the progress of the students knowing you had helped them.
Pros
Great management
Cons
would like greater pay
Simple joyful job
Maths and English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Preston13 July 2016
I enjoyed working at Kumon as i was able to find a lot of use out of working there for example, a day would consist of marking work, sitting with students that needed help with their work and talking to the students one on one. Before this job i do not feel as though i had a lot of confidence nor when i started however working in that type of environment put a lot more responsibility on myself meaning i had to adapt quickly. I do believe this job changed me for the better!
Pros
short shifts
Good teaching environment for students
Tutor- mentor (Current Employee) –  Enfield5 July 2016
The typical day is to mark and record students class work and homework and also tech students from primary and secondary students Maths and English on a Tuesday and Thursday. I think that I have learnt really important things for example on how to record the homework and class work because I didn't now how to do it before and also I learnt on how to set the class and how to pack up the class. The management is really good because they give an opportunity for students to learn Maths and English. My co-workers are good to work with because they also do the same role as me by marking students class work and homework. The enjoyable part about this job is that I also get to help and teach students to learn Maths and English.
Pros
Becoming a key holder
fun to work at
tutor (Former Employee) –  Hayes24 June 2016
At Kumon, you gain valuable skills and experience whilst working with children. The hardest part of the job has to be how busy it can get, if you are working at a table alone.
Pros
fun, not too stressful
Cons
pay is quite low
Productive and Engaging
Kumon Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frimley22 June 2016
Working at Kumon enabled me to develop my team working and communication skills. My job role was to guide students in their maths and english studies and provide feedback to the head regarding the students progress. I enjoyed working at Kumon due to the calm, friendly, warm atmosphere amongst great co workers. At the start it was tough to cope with the pressure, however overtime I developed my time management, which enabled me to keep up with the workload.
Very Interactive and enjoyable
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 June 2016
No matter how long the day had been, entering this work placement always made me happy. Surrounded by friendly coo-workers always made me feel at home.

As I was normally one of the first to arrive, I start my shift as a receptionist, which consists of parent enquiries and handling payments. Then I move to my assigned job, teaching young individual Maths and English.

Learnt how to communicate with different individuals, such as the manager, colleagues, parents and of course the children. Also, how to work as a team and individually, managing children.
Most of all how to multitask. I was given the opportunity to learn every role at the placement, therefore was ready to jump from one role to another at any time if needed.

The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job was the teaching. I love Maths and I love teaching it and the feeling you get once the child understands is fulfilling. But, if they are tired they are not willing to pay attention so a different style method of teaching needs to be used in order to help them finish their work, which can get a little difficult.

The work placement can sometimes get tiring but interacting with the children and teaching them new things everyday makes it all worth it, and that is the reason why I loved working at Kumon,
Pros
Excellent pay
good
Teaching Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Sheffield12 June 2016
I have gained some good experience as a first job from the kumon company and i have managed to expand my skills and developed a new confidence in the work place.
Proactive and hardworking
Kumon Helping Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woodford Green6 June 2016
I believe that a positive environment, with you and your colleagues working together to achieve the best results of the day, for example achieving weekly targets, and overcoming all of the struggles and making sure you all work cooperatively.
Kumon
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage5 June 2016
Kumon was an enjoyable job to be part of but it was ony two days a week and i wanted more hours.

Im a person that loves working with people and i love helping people out so that they can get the best out of there future.
I felt this was my job when i worked there.
Pros
Learning off others abilitys
Cons
Too short hours
Productive and comfortable workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff23 May 2016
The Kumon centre is open Monday's and Wednesday's, which is very practical as it is local for me as well as having reasonable and manageable hours. A usual day would consist of students bringing in completed work they have done at home and then we would provide new work for them to complete one in the centre as well as more for them to take home and complete again. Having them complete work in the centre is very beneficial for us to see their progress and also allows us the chance to help them when and if they need it.

Through working in such an environment I have learnt to adapt to busy periods and handling with several people at a time whilst offering the best possible help. Our team has a variety of ages which in fact compliments each other as we can work with specific ages that are suitable for ourselves. We all work well as a team, which has further developed my skills with working with others.

The hardest part of this job is time management as it is very easy to get behind on marking and updating homework. However, through my experience of working here for a while, I have been able to manage my time better which means I can complete work on time as well as to a high standard.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of this job is seeing how the students develop. I have been able to see the gradual progression of certain students and in particular those with learning difficulties. In addition, the growth in confidence the students have from coming to this centre is very rewarding as usually when they start the programme they find it hard to communicate and are
  more... extremely shy. However, they soon warm to the assistants and are then able to freely ask for help, which not only improves the experience for us working their but also for the students who come.  less
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Average pay
productive and fun working place
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Loughborough3 May 2016
working with the team has increased my sociability and communicating skills. the most enjoyable part is meeting new children at the centre every week and seeing my colleagues.
Fun workplace because of the children
Tuition teacher (Former Employee) –  Malaysia7 April 2016
I have to use the simplest and easier ways to teach the kids and let them easier to understand the classwork and homework. I have learned the way to speaks and guide so that the kids easy to understand. I have to manage most of the kids homework and when they need to submit the works.

The hardest part of this job is that the kids are very naughty, therefore, I have need more passion. The most enjoyable part is because of the kids. They are really cute and so real with the smile.
Inspirational team & busy working enviroment
Events Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Southgate Station4 April 2016
Kumon Educational is a dynamic workplace with friendly and supportive staff. The company offers fantastic benefits and operates a bonus scheme.
Pros
Benefits and bonus
Cons
Commute time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2