Kumon Work-Life Balance reviews

Found 28 reviews matching the search See all 1,741 reviews
Fun but different workplace
Personal Tutor (Former Employee) –  Orpington4 October 2018
It was a rewarding job seeing young students I tutored get into their desired schools etc. however the job was quite low paying due to my age and school position.

Only working 2 hour shifts twice a week after school meant that I didn't work long hours, and it was very enjoyable as I had a couple of friends who did the same job with me.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
low pay
Boring and strict
Tutor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex28 August 2018
Working 3 hours after a full day of school where I had to mark even more work was torture. Our boss wouldn't let us talk even in a whisper and so I just felt like I was wasting my afternoons. Never actually received a pay slip so I'm not 100% sure I was even payed.
Pros
Sat down the whole time
Cons
Boring, no talking
great expericne
English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Bath9 April 2018
This job is great for those seeking part-time employment. However, it does not pay well.
This job provides great experience for those seeking employment with a career in the education sector.
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor wages
Productive and helpful
Class assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff7 November 2017
Overall I like working here, the work load is not too much and the hours are very convinient. The work is not hard as long as you understand the topic the child is on.
Boring
Class Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brigg9 October 2017
Feel like the culture depends on the leadership, if you have a good manger then kimono is great, otherwise its awful. Good for kids who want a bit of money, nothing serious though.
Fun workplace
Assistant recorder/helper (Former Employee) –  Old Harlow23 September 2017
You walk in sign in on a book and you set up tables and things so the children who come in can get their things and sit down and do the work that is set. During the 2 hours people who work there walk around and help whoever is in need, and after when everyone has left we pack everything up. what i learned from this is that helping children out on maths or english helps you remember things. The hardest part of the job was when it was busy and there was a lot of work to do, but the most enjoyable part of the job was to help out kids who needs the help.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
Summer holiday
hard working environment.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Abbey Wood20 September 2017
A typical day at kumon would consist of the students bringing in their work from the previous week to be marked and initiating the work set for the following week. when students get stuck, it is the tutors job to not provide the answer but push the student to think about what the answer may be.
Pros
It runs from 4-6
Great
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thornton Heath, Greater London7 September 2017
Its a great place to start if you looking to go into the education sector int he future. Time goes really fast, most of the time you do not get enough hours as it only lasts around 3 hours two or three days a week.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Short hours
Flexible and good experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Willesden Green4 September 2017
A great place to work when starting in the tutoring industry. As most centres are open twice a week it is easy to fit working here into a busy schedule. I am very lucky to have a great boss who is very supportive, furthermore I enjoy working with the children and seeing them progress.
Good first job
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire3 September 2017
taught me basic things for my first job. taught me communication and teaching skills. Did on average 2 hrs after school on either Monday or Wednesday or both days.
Pros
straight after school, constant
Cons
small hrs and pay
Very fun place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walkden, Greater Manchester10 July 2017
Very enjoyable working here because it was easy hours and never went slow. good if you enjoy working with young children and is a very enjoyable role.
Good
Head assistant (Current Employee) –  Heston8 July 2017
Great to work at as it opens new opportunity. Also, if your student it would fit perfectly around your schedule as it is open 2 days a week on weekdays this allows you have free time on the weekend. Moreover, you have the chance to work with a wide range of children this varies your experience. You also, engage the parents sometimes.
Pros
Job opportunity open to wide range of people, chance to work with children.
Cons
Pay may be low and only open for 2 days
Fulfilling and positive workplace
teaching assistant (Current Employee) –  Wirral, Merseyside7 July 2017
Working at the Bebington Kumon Centre is a fulfilling and rewarding job. As a teaching assistant, I provide help for students of various ages between 4 and 18 years olds studying a mixture of both Maths and English from the most basic level to A-level standard.
The atmosphere in the workplace is always calm and postive and is a lovely place to work in. The manager of the centre is a very capable instructor and is always fair and looks out for both staff and students.
It has allowed me to learn how best to prioritise my responsibilities and manage my time as efficiently as possible.
Being able to help the students gives me a feeling of both achievement and pride is it is great to see each student stretch their abilities and progress through the programme.
It can be difficult during particularly busy classes when there a large numbers of students, lots of class work to mark and correct, lots of homework to be marked and files to be sorted. However, with a strong team of assistants we always work hard to complete as much as possible.
Pros
Flexible days to work
Productive and fun workplace
Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire3 July 2017
Working at Kumon is a challenge but working with young people is very rewarding for me. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help the children.
Pros
Very friendly people
Cons
Awkward working hours
Not recommended
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Romsey6 May 2017
For this job, personally I would recommend for those who are still in school. This job was tiring as there was not much to do in the hours that I worked. For what I did: marking books, updating logs, conversing with parents and giving/helping on questions, I felt as though I was not receiving enough in terms of pay rate. The hours are long and there is not enough work to complete the hours.
Pros
Experience of communication
Cons
Long hours, low pay
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld13 April 2017
Volunteering for Kumon was generally a good experience, I built friendships with both the children and the staff as well as feeling as though I was being productive with my life
Pros
Building friendships with different people
Cons
Easy place to earn money
Marker and Recorder (Former Employee) –  St. Neots, UK30 March 2017
Worked here while I was doing my A-level. It's a great, fun place to work while you are studying to earn extra cash. Get a benefit from knowing you share helping children succeed.
Simple joyful job
Maths and English Tutor (Former Employee) –  Preston13 July 2016
I enjoyed working at Kumon as i was able to find a lot of use out of working there for example, a day would consist of marking work, sitting with students that needed help with their work and talking to the students one on one. Before this job i do not feel as though i had a lot of confidence nor when i started however working in that type of environment put a lot more responsibility on myself meaning i had to adapt quickly. I do believe this job changed me for the better!
Pros
short shifts
Kumon
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stevenage5 June 2016
Kumon was an enjoyable job to be part of but it was ony two days a week and i wanted more hours.

Im a person that loves working with people and i love helping people out so that they can get the best out of there future.
I felt this was my job when i worked there.
Pros
Learning off others abilitys
Cons
Too short hours
Fun workplace because of the children
Tuition teacher (Former Employee) –  Malaysia7 April 2016
I have to use the simplest and easier ways to teach the kids and let them easier to understand the classwork and homework. I have learned the way to speaks and guide so that the kids easy to understand. I have to manage most of the kids homework and when they need to submit the works.

The hardest part of this job is that the kids are very naughty, therefore, I have need more passion. The most enjoyable part is because of the kids. They are really cute and so real with the smile.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.