Kumon Employee Reviews for Tutor

Intimate and hands on
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Luton5 April 2018
At Kumon there is always something to do as a private tutor. Students are encouraged to enhance their mental maths and proficiency in Literacy skills. The role helps you advance in your explanation skills a great deal as young students always need tailored advice. Overall, brilliant teaching experience!
Pros
only two hours, easy to fit around a busy schedule
Cons
the salary is minimum wage for your age
great
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Newton Mearns2 March 2018
kumon is a great programme, and helpful to many children. Staff and students are friendly and great to work with. A typical day would consist of aiding and marking students work.
Busy environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Bromley2 February 2018
Kumon is a very busy work environment full of both students and other teaching assistants. The hardest part of the job is dealing with are the students as you never know what to expect out of them. I really enjoyed working with the students. I learnt to be confident in myself and learnt different ways to deal with probems.
Fun and welcoming
TUTORING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Tilgate6 December 2017
Ideal for students. Excellent management. Friendly staff and well behaved students.

Would have preferred working with an older age range but learnt a lot with the younger children.
Perfect first job
Assistant Tutor (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex1 November 2017
Works around getting an education, not too time consuming. Very hectic but enjoyable, and very chilled management style. Would recommend for students not full time employment.
Pros
Fits in around school
Cons
Not very good pay
what i learnt
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Liverpool20 September 2017
I enjoyed the job role of working with children and being able to not only teach but inspire these young minds.Working with children also allowed me to learn the importance of creating a positive work environment and work effectively and efficiently with other colleagues.
Flexible and good experience
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Willesden Green4 September 2017
A great place to work when starting in the tutoring industry. As most centres are open twice a week it is easy to fit working here into a busy schedule. I am very lucky to have a great boss who is very supportive, furthermore I enjoy working with the children and seeing them progress.
nice place to work
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  London4 September 2017
slow days, time doesn't really move fast but still able to get some productive work completed. using your own initiative and knowing when to help a child with their work is key.
Decent
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London3 August 2017
This was my first job and it involved helping children out with maths and english. Was not demanding and often was very laid back. Hardest part of the job was
Enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Stanmore, Greater London10 July 2017
It wasn't a boring job as there were many children there who brought laughter to the centre and it was different everyday. I learnt how to communicate with younger children and how one might see things on their level. At times, management was a bit shaky when the centre was busy and I think they struggled with handling certain children or went the wrong way about it, but the majority of the time it was okay. The staff were nice to work with and it made the workplace a nice place to work even though the salary wasn't good. It was a nice stopgap between school and university.
Very flexible and enjoyable job on the side.
Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waltham Cross, Essex3 July 2017
Kumon isn't a job which will pay for that brand new car you want, but it's a great way to help those that need it and enjoy yourself whilst doing so. It keeps you alert and in touch with different genres of people and the following generations. The work isn't demanding yet still requires dilligence and commitment and the pay is just a compliment to a very satisfying and intrinsically rewarding job.
it is a productive and funwork workplace
Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London1 June 2017
I have recently started working at Kumon. I enjoy it as since a child I have always have had an interest as working as a teacher or doing some sort of teaching that involved working with children. Overall i enjoy the job working with children and helping them out when they need help. However it can be difficult dealing with children who do not pay attention and do not listen and take ages to complete their work. it sometimes stresses me out about them not finishing on time before the session is over. But it is an enjoyable and friendly environment to work in.
Pros
fun workplace, enjoy working with children, receive the minimum wage
Cons
naughty children who do not listen.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 May 2017
Fantastic place to work great employers hours werent too flexible and pay wasnt that great but working hours were very short so job could easily be juggled with another one.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Repetitive, no breaks
Productive and fun workplace
Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brixton, Greater London23 May 2017
Working at Kumon involves marking, one to one teaching and support. Its a really fun environment to be in due to the diverse range of abilities and people.
Love the job
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Harrow, Greater London16 May 2017
The kids are a pleasure to work for. The job is wonderful and management is great! A job i enjoy and love alot.The culture is fantastic since all the staff get along well. Sometimes it can get hectic but overall the pay is worth the culture and atmosphere of the job.
not enjoyable workplace
Tutor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 February 2017
a typical day at work for me would be to work with 9-10 children meaning that I would work with 3 children at a time and sometimes 4. I would help the children complete maths and English work in timed conditions. I learnt many skills such as communication skills and independent work. The place where I had worked the workplace culture was not great there was a lack of communication and if something went wrong everyone would point fingers at everyone and it was a bit unorganized. the hardest part of the job was to stand for 2 hours, as we were not allowed to sit down, and also getting the children to be in full concentration and complete all the tasks set. the most enjoyable part of the job was to work with different children and get to talk and connect with them.
Pros
short hours (2 hours twice a week)
Cons
no breaks, stand up for 2 hours, not allowed to take hoildays, bad payment
friendly working environment
tutor (Former Employee) –  Cardiff13 January 2017
this job was rewarding as it involved assisting children reach their full potential and assessing their progress over time. from my time here, i honed my communication and social skills as i interacted with the children swell as their parents. All my co-workers were easy to work with and dedicated to helping the children achieve their best.
Teamwork Based, A lot of Communication, Friendly Atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Dorridge19 December 2016
A typical day at work would entail; setting up the room before the children arrived, welcoming the parents along with their children, managing the children and making sure that everyone was on task, then when all of the children had arrived and finished their work we would pack everything away.

It helped me to develop my team-working, social and communicative skills, it also aided my patience.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a lot of different individuals.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kingsbury, Greater London5 December 2016
A typical day of work will consist of teaching and maintaining a sufficient communication between both parents and tutee. This job has increased my confidence in talking to different people. In addition to my time management in marking my students work, alongside having to complete my own school work. This experience has taught me to work in a team environment with the other tutors and independently to overcome unexpected challenges through the ability to adapt. My job consisted of challenges in having to maintain constant motivation with the tutees after their long day in school. However, I enjoyed this job because I had the opportunity to adapt to challenging situations which I solve independently.
Fun and great place to work
Kumon maths and English tutor (Former Employee) –  Herne Hill21 November 2016
I loved every minute at kumon as the staff are like one big family. We all supported and helped eachother throughout our shifts and were all treated fairly.
Pros
Holidays, hours, references
Cons
Pay as hours are short

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.

Kumon Reviews by Location