Kumon Employee Reviews for Teaching Assistant

help the children but no enough money to have it as a full time job.
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury13 December 2017
help the children with maths and English. very low pay. need a second job. if money not an issue rewarding helping the kids progress and learn more maths and english.
Boring
Class Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brigg9 October 2017
Feel like the culture depends on the leadership, if you have a good manger then kimono is great, otherwise its awful. Good for kids who want a bit of money, nothing serious though.
Great
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thornton Heath, Greater London7 September 2017
Its a great place to start if you looking to go into the education sector int he future. Time goes really fast, most of the time you do not get enough hours as it only lasts around 3 hours two or three days a week.
Pros
Enjoyable
Cons
Short hours
Easy but boring
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury29 July 2017
If you love working with children this is a good place to start, however the pay isn't very much and you only can work a few days a week for a few hours.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Low wage
Really good environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire19 June 2017
I helped mark the kids work , I learned teaching skills , how to work in a team, and lots of information the hardest part of the job was counting all the booklets at different levels that they had but I did it well as i am hardworking
Valuable experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Margarets and North Twickenham5 June 2017
The position provided experience in a public-facing position and helped me to grow in confidence regularly dealing with members of the public and receiving feedback.
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dudley23 May 2017
4 hours a week
The pay inst amazing but its better than doing a paper round as its more fulfilling for the same weekly allowance
Staff are friendly
Its alright for a teenagers for a first job.
Great job
Teaching Assistant/ Senior Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London11 April 2017
Working for Kumon is quite easy-going, not a lot of stress is involved, simply helping and tutoring children and teens in the areas which they are struggling. Great job for people with a lot of patience and are good at maths and english.
Fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northwood Hills5 April 2017
Typical day at work: marking children's workbooks and organising folders at the end of the day
What I learned: organisation, communication skills, being resourseful
Good working environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire29 March 2017
It has a good working environment but the salary isn't worth he work we do. I have developed good teaching skills from this job and looking forward to starting my own tutoring classes
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Salary
Thrilling and exhilarating workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2016
After having worked at Kumon, I have been able to develop and build on my communication and leadership skills, and work as efficiently as possible in a busy environment routinely. This was a thrilling environment in which my co-workers and management team helped each other, constantly encouraging improvement in my abilities as a teaching assistant.

Over the past few months I have been promoted to various leadership and management roles in a short period of time, such as being the head of the marking and recording table, being in charge of accounting finances, and communicating with parents at the front desk. These various positions have taught me how to adapt to highly stressful situations, use my intuition when needed, and communicate well with my co-workers to allow a steady stream of work to flow.
Pros
Highly rewarding job
Cons
Weekday shifts
fun workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry13 July 2016
Kumon was a productive and fun workplace as it involved great interaction with students. Typically i would have 1-on-1 tuition sessions with students and record/mark their work. I learnt how to deal with the pressures of time management and the workload. I also learnt how to work well as a team by helping each other when needed. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the progress of the students knowing you had helped them.
Pros
Great management
Cons
would like greater pay
Very Interactive and enjoyable
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London13 June 2016
No matter how long the day had been, entering this work placement always made me happy. Surrounded by friendly coo-workers always made me feel at home.

As I was normally one of the first to arrive, I start my shift as a receptionist, which consists of parent enquiries and handling payments. Then I move to my assigned job, teaching young individual Maths and English.

Learnt how to communicate with different individuals, such as the manager, colleagues, parents and of course the children. Also, how to work as a team and individually, managing children.
Most of all how to multitask. I was given the opportunity to learn every role at the placement, therefore was ready to jump from one role to another at any time if needed.

The hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job was the teaching. I love Maths and I love teaching it and the feeling you get once the child understands is fulfilling. But, if they are tired they are not willing to pay attention so a different style method of teaching needs to be used in order to help them finish their work, which can get a little difficult.

The work placement can sometimes get tiring but interacting with the children and teaching them new things everyday makes it all worth it, and that is the reason why I loved working at Kumon,
Pros
Excellent pay
Productive and comfortable workplace
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff23 May 2016
The Kumon centre is open Monday's and Wednesday's, which is very practical as it is local for me as well as having reasonable and manageable hours. A usual day would consist of students bringing in completed work they have done at home and then we would provide new work for them to complete one in the centre as well as more for them to take home and complete again. Having them complete work in the centre is very beneficial for us to see their progress and also allows us the chance to help them when and if they need it.

Through working in such an environment I have learnt to adapt to busy periods and handling with several people at a time whilst offering the best possible help. Our team has a variety of ages which in fact compliments each other as we can work with specific ages that are suitable for ourselves. We all work well as a team, which has further developed my skills with working with others.

The hardest part of this job is time management as it is very easy to get behind on marking and updating homework. However, through my experience of working here for a while, I have been able to manage my time better which means I can complete work on time as well as to a high standard.

The most enjoyable and rewarding part of this job is seeing how the students develop. I have been able to see the gradual progression of certain students and in particular those with learning difficulties. In addition, the growth in confidence the students have from coming to this centre is very rewarding as usually when they start the programme they find it hard to communicate and are
  more... extremely shy. However, they soon warm to the assistants and are then able to freely ask for help, which not only improves the experience for us working their but also for the students who come.  less
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Average pay
Good experience
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London19 August 2015
I enjoyed working as a teaching assistant during the time I stayed at Kumon. The work environment was a great experience to learn and develop skills and the people there fun to be around.

I was teaching Maths and English to children in Kumon tuition centre. Having a number of responsibilities including planning lessons, marking and learning from colleagues, increased my pressure but allowed me to adapt quicker. Teaching from a broad range of students from key stage 1 to 4, I became accustom to the demands of different students based on their age and any special needs they had.
During the last two years spent teaching at Kumon, I was fortunate enough to see students’ academically progress, which filled me with genuine happiness.
Fun and face pace environement
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ENG16 July 2015
The children make the place lively and it is very rewarding to see how intelligent the children are. In addition the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to sit with the children and help them understand where they have gone wrong. My co-workers are really friendly.
Pros
Friendly co workers
productive
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG7 June 2015
Kumon hours are generally two hours a day in which you observe students learning and mark and record their work, giving feedback when necessary.
Co workers are generally a friendly bunch however there isn't much time to communicate with each other as silence is promoted
Pros
Two hours a day, only two days a week
Cons
Sometimes students forget work and it is difficult to find them new work to do
Good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkhamsted, ENG14 May 2015
I had the opportunity of working with the member of the teaching staff and living the day as a teacher. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking and teaching to the kids.
Very Productive Place
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  st Chads Parish Center Otley Road Leeds LS16 5JT2 April 2015
Kumon studies are good for children to stay up to date with their maths and english studies, it is great in conjunction with children's schooling, each worksheet takes 15 to 20 minutes if done with good concentration and only take 40 mins of their evening every day which is think a good revision system for a child.
Kumon encourages to work at speed, it is not like tutoring that would cost a lot more!
It is just worksheet that gradually increase in difficulty. It can be done at home by yourself but Kumon provide a bit of extra encouragement for the child.
Pros
It gives children extra confidence in their studies, It is extra help for children towards their school studies
Cons
It may need a bit of extra effort, for parents to go to the Kumon study centre, straight after the school.
Productive and educational
Kumon Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, ENG26 March 2015
During one day i interact with the main customers directly (children), I am able to work on my interpersonal skills, multitasking skills, and work in a controlled environment. I work as a part of a team, part of being in this team is communicating and sharing the work load with other members of the team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2