Kumon Employee Reviews

Found 211 reviews matching the search See all 1,757 reviews
Fun and exciting
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London1 December 2018
A typical day would consist of me finishing school and starting the job around 4:30 pm, I’d undertake two main jobs. One being tutoring children in either maths or english (depending on what they need help with) whereas the other would be marking the pro paper and working with them to correct anything incorrect.

I learned the art of working with younger children and developed a lot more patience than I originally had. I also learned more about mathematics and English as teaching it helped me create new connections and links with different topics in both maths and English.

The hardest part of the job would the the work life and school life balance, since I was needed by the couple who ran the kumon centre, I was needed right after school and the times I was needed were often cutting very closely to the time that my school had finished, leaving me extremely drained when I had entered the centre.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to teach one of my favourite subjects (maths) and having the freedom to share my knowledge and love of the subject with younger students and helping the develop a new found passion for the subject.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire21 November 2018
A typical day at Kumon is to assist students with their class work if they require it. A classroom supervisor is expected to record student marks on each session and ensure they have enough homework for the week.
Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Wallasey13 November 2018
Nice people worked helped me with development as a person. Worked as a Maths and English tutor for the kids and learnt how to deal with them in a professional manner.
Dismissed without reason
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Greater London26 October 2018
I had been dismissed without legitemate grounds and i had been working for a pittance. I was accused of something i did not do which led to me being fired.
Nice and calm
Kumon Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scunthorpe23 October 2018
It was a calm environment, lots of people getting on with what they were supposed to. The hours weren't that long either which is pretty good. Everyone was very pleasant as well making it a very nice work environment.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Very quiet
great environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 October 2018
I worked at kumon for 3 years and it was great. I had a wonderful manager who looked after their employees very well and also took into consideration that i was a student who was doing a-levels at the time. The best part about Kumon is that it is short hours which are easily manageable after classes however during school breaks it can be seen as an awkward shift as it is in the middle of the day. Kumon really develops your communication skills and helps you feel like part of a team.
Pros
short hours
Cons
awkward times
not my thing
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pound Hill17 October 2018
i hated working here as the staff were often unfriendly and boring however if you like maths and english you would likely enjoy working here as there is lots of ways you can help the kids improve
nice people
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cobham10 October 2018
it is a good place to work if you are a teenager just getting started to work, the pay is quite low though and you have to pay attention because there are quite a lot of details to the job
Great learning experience
Assistant Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld8 October 2018
Overall working in Kumon helps reinforce your teaching skills and interaction with little childrens, however the pay is not desirable whatsoever. Don't recommend for working as a permanent job or a part time if you are looking for good pay
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Low Pay
Fun but different workplace
Personal Tutor (Former Employee) –  Orpington4 October 2018
It was a rewarding job seeing young students I tutored get into their desired schools etc. however the job was quite low paying due to my age and school position.

Only working 2 hour shifts twice a week after school meant that I didn't work long hours, and it was very enjoyable as I had a couple of friends who did the same job with me.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
low pay
Productive and friendly place
Kumon Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mirfield, West Yorkshire2 October 2018
Working at Kumon was very enlightening and would cheer up my day after sixth form. The children were very friendly and I would love to help them with their work. It was amazing to see how the kids would progress every week, and giving feedback to parents was one of my regular responsibilities.
Pros
Seeing Friendly faces
Cons
Tiring after sixth form
busy workplace
Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 September 2018
Dealing with parents and children on a daily basis. Assisting children with their work, marking and recording. Providing parents with feedback and any enquiries they have.
Pros
friendly workplace
Cons
too busy
Kumon
Teaching Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  South East London, Greater London21 September 2018
this was something i did as voluntary where it was helping children with maths and English. giving them homework to do. the management is very will set. it is a cultural place to work as people from different cultures work as a team.
Laid back yet very productive work environment
Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester13 September 2018
Friendly, relaxed working environment but yet very productive! The staff were very accommodating and make you feel like part of the team. Part time job so was perfect while I was on my gap year, HR and the line manager were very understanding of my situation (being a student; balancing studies, etc). Hardest part of the job was dealing with the younger kids, you have to be patient but if you love working with kids this shouldn't be an issue! Considering this was my first proper job it was such a pleasant experience.
Pros
short hours, good staff
Cons
early start on a saturday
time pressured
Part-time Employee (Former Employee) –  New Malden30 August 2018
this was a comfortable place to work, however, it was repetitive and we were underpaid.
Organised and marked English and Maths papers for various age groups (9-11 years) and adhered to deadline and timetabling schedules.
Boring and strict
Tutor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex28 August 2018
Working 3 hours after a full day of school where I had to mark even more work was torture. Our boss wouldn't let us talk even in a whisper and so I just felt like I was wasting my afternoons. Never actually received a pay slip so I'm not 100% sure I was even payed.
Pros
Sat down the whole time
Cons
Boring, no talking
Good part-time job
Tutoring Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxted, Surrey6 August 2018
Although I would've preferred the pay to be slightly higher, it was a good part-time job which worked around school and had a nice relaxing atmosphere.
Interesting
Classroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester2 August 2018
Their is an option to do Maths and English, both are very beneficial to all children, I believe it helps them with time management, organisation, confidence and in all academic subjects. It is a pleasure working with children and helping them grow academically and individually.
Pros
helping children achieve
Cons
intense
Great
Part time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Welling, Greater London21 July 2018
good management, and great colleagues however pay is bad and can be as low as 4.50 in certain locations. working with the children is fun but the max amount of time you'll be working is 3 hours twice a week not enough hours
easy and flexible
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 July 2018
I worked for two hours a week which was great. I helped children with English and maths. I learnt how to communicate effectively and how to work well within a given time frame.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Kumon. Our community is ready to answer.