Kirklees Council

Kirklees Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom125 reviews
I work in a small, very supportive and hard working team with a good manager who delegates appropriately.
Good team environment where contributions are expected and valued. Good for work life balance, trading and career development. Very quick and efficient transition to home working at start of pandemic.
Pros
Work life balance, good management in my service
Cons
Local gov csn be meeting heavy and risk averse.
Good place to work.
Great guys good atmosphere happy to be a part of a good team well accepted by all Really good work life balance .hard work but the crew make it bearable
Stressful Place
Under valued over worked and under paid. Unrealistic targets and expectations prove impossible to meet. Levels of responsibility extremely, often asked to complete tasks which you aren't qualified for!
nowt but bullies and cowboys
they don't want you to have your breaks just in case you don't get the work completed there racist no private and confidentiality, the bosses don't have a clue about driving they are not transport they not bothered about wagons or been over weight as long as work is getting done they don't keep your driver records, they talk to you like poo
Best Job i have had
Working in the youth service was the best job I had.
Working at Young Batley centre, staff were amazing all there for the same resign, opportunity are out of this world. Management are human and understanding.
Pros
having fun while you work
Cons
not the hours due to goverment cuts
A good start to career
A fantastic start to my career learning from many very experienced horticulturists. Just not offered the progression that i felt i deserved through training and work ethics.
Productive and fun workplace
Early starts and late finishes
Highway maintenance techniques and traffic management

The workplace culture is very conducive and friendly

Inclement weather conditions can be daunting

Proper training and personal development
Pros
Free training
productive workplace
felt like I got good support when needed. good communication skills between the work force.Learnt how to use a compactor safely and correctly. got taught a lot on e learning.
Very stressful
It can be very stressful at times and not the best no support from management. Feels like they are always on your back no matter what you do to provide the best standards of service
Great
One of the best places I have ever worked. The staff are friendly, caring & loyal.
Kirklees Council were great with any query raised & extremely helpful with any problems.
Big brother style micro-management
If you want to be watched and checked up on constantly then this is the place for you, management always want to know where you are and what your'e doing and if your diary is not up to date you'll know about it. No autonomy to be trusted to just get on with your work.
Some staff are great, others not so much, very clicky place.

Management pretend to be supportive of mental health but when push comes to shove their 'reasonable adjustments' are laughable at best.

I wouldn't bother working here, go for a better council like Leeds.
a typical day at work would be picking up customers and dealing with them in polite and professional manner. The working culture was very good and i could work at my own pace.
good place
good place to work always there to make you welcome friendly staff manager are very polite and helpful standard training your opinion gets valued you have more knowledge the job you doing
Very fast paced and down trodden environment
If you’re thinking of starting working for Kirklees think again all they are bothered about is themselves and that’s the bottom line I lost my mum to a very sudden and quick illness I was offered no support no time off no nothing when I needed the empathy and care it was not their worst place I have ever worked ever.
Rewarding job.
I really enjoyed working in the school & I found the most rewarding part of the job was watching the children grow in confidence each day and being part of a fantastic team.
Kirklees
I love working for them this job is my dream job. Staff are very friendly. Only issue i have is the neediness of my service dor the language i speak is not as heeded as i was hopeing for. Therefore i do t earn as much as i would need to. Onmy have a few hours a month.
Work placement at Parkview Cars
I got a placement at Parkview Cars then first day I got there I had to watch how they did things like example (full service, MOT, change a gear box, etc) so I watched the second day I did a bit more I helped them change a tire, I helped them pump air into tired and etc I kind of liked it I was getting taught more at my placement then I was at college.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short hours
This was a fun place to work with Children
The placement for work experience was great. The children were really happy and enjoyed the time we spent with them. The group leader was helpful and while I was there she said she would hire me when I left school.
Wonderful people
Best job I've ever had great people in a wonderful community, can give you flexible hours, they are very understanding & are a well looked after close knit team. I would work for Kirklees again in a heartbeat, my mother & father also worked for Kirklees & they loved it.
Major cuts mean staff are weary and stressed
Major funding cuts have impacted on working life and the culture within. Culture does vary from service to service and from manager to manager. A good place to begin a career.
Job satisfaction and good training opportunities
A typical day at work would consist of visiting service users in their own homes, assisting with Personal Care, Food Preparation and also working along side Occupational and Physical Therapist's to be able to complete the service user's rehabilitation as well and as quickly as possible to allow them to become independent in their own home after discharge from hospital. Management are always on hand with support.
I have learnt so much in my role after attending various training courses. The hardest part of my job is taking a step back and having to let the service user's try do task's independently without my support. The most enjoyable part of my job is the satisfaction of seeing the progress the service user's make with my support and the pride you take from supporting them back to full independence and giving them the confidence to live again in their own home.