KIRKLEES COLLEGE

KIRKLEES COLLEGE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom43 reviews
lovely place to work different to an averege 9-5 job as yuo get to experience working with animals that wouldnt necessararily be kept as pets. everyone is very friendly and caring.
Very good place to work very friendly and nice people ⁸would recommend this place for work to anyone who works in this sector of work. Good salary for the right people and a good package to go with it
good work life balance, good times to work with what i need for my home life. i enjoy working working with special need students and the results that i get.
The worst place I have ever worked.
Each year it has gone downhill.

This management is disgusting and arrogant.

They will let any student in no matter how bad they are. Bums on seats cash in bank.

All they want is money.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
I once heard management say'if you don't like it you know where the door is'
STAY WELL AWAY. Management are a joke and very very unprofessional. Constantly gossiping and finding ways to get each other in to trouble.

Management higher up also refuse to address the issue and instead find ways to make you feel uncomfortable so you will leave. If you have a degree and are younger than the average 50 plus, they seem to be extremely insecure and intimidated. It is a institution which has a gossiping and bullying culture and they are all on a power trip,

The maternity cover manager has no marketing experience which is clear by her work. Instead regular 1-2-1 meetings are used in order to gossip and talk about other team members and deflect from how incompetent she is. There is no creativity in this role which is mentioned in the job description, you are told what to do. Furthermore, flexible hours do not exist for certain people. They pick and choose who has to do a time sheet and if you are a younger member of the team, you can guarantee you will be doing one. The manager herself just about makes it in for after 9 but you are constantly told by her “we need to be seen working in the office”. As you can imagine she is very very desperate to keep her job after mat cover and does not want to go back to selling motorhomes.
Brilliant loads of training and great staff kids are great and fantastic building to work in, relaxed and friendly , gym and free beauty salon. Excellent facilities and Starbucks cafe, free library
Friendly, but fast paced. Can be stressful but very interesting place to work. I enjoyed my time working there overall. Although I was employed as an apprentice an the training was not at all thorough or sufficient. The apprenticeship scheme went across three departments which was extrememy intense and stressful. Ii think the apprenticeship should be within one department only.
Pros
Holiday and pension
Cons
Understaffed and stressful at times
Go to community venue, set everything needed to deliver lesson. Take register then explain to the students what the lesson would be about. Deliver the lesson, set work for the cass, individual students work at different levels but all have basic tasks in common. Check to make sure that each person understands. Mark work.
Vastly under-appreciated by upper management.

Bullying behaviour from support staff-towards other staff and students-overlooked, dismissed and not dealt with.

Unprofessional behaviour frequent-younger staff often treated like

an underclass- by older staff.

Not enough training. Very low pay for the work you do.

Despite all that-overall some excellent teaching and support staff. But the unprofessional and bullying staff and low pay ruin all that.
Pros
Mostly good staff
Cons
low pay.
great team very supportive team fantastic community.

both centres i work at are just great. ill be sad to go.

there is no staff room so can feel a bit clicky
Individual teams can be really good and supportive however the overall culture of the college has declined rapidly since the change of senior leadership. They are self serving individuals who have no care or consideration for the welfare of the staff.
Pros
Collegues
Cons
Senior Leadership
Good to work here before leadership change. College in a financial mess - be careful about choosing to work here. They don't care about their staff either.
On this course I really enjoyed everything about it, from the practical to the written. The teachers where excellent and there to guide you when you needed it. The best part was serving the college students and getting to know more people.
I worked here for 4 years, fed up with persistent restructuring and having to reapply for my position, definitely no family friendly policy whatsoever, had to join a union to protect my rights, just heard they are going through yet another restructuring but this time there’s redundancies, atrocious management at all levels and far far too many of them, which has probably contributed to their problems,I do hope the sake for my former colleagues this redundancy operation will reduce the unimaginable amount of management, if this happens it could possibly make it a better place to work.
Pros
None really.
Cons
Far too many ‘none hands on’ managers
Wage not too bad, was a good to work for but sadly has declined.
With all the current changes and the new leadership team the college is in a freefall.
Had good working experience with co-workers, had a very good line manager. The senior management hadn’t been consistent and not cared about employees.
fun loving place to be . non discriminative, full of encouragement , different activities available, independent skills shown taught and prompted. friendly
This is my first role in this line of work and everyone I work with is extremely helpful with my development. Despite being agency staff I get treated the same as any other staff member and get all the support, rewards and responsibilities as any other staff member.
Admin,
Teaching,

Varying support in centres depending on how many days/shift times worked

The hardest part is being kept in the loop of things going on when classes are delivered in evenings and no one else is in the department , to give any updates etc.
Loved working here. Definitely felt the pressure working in a busy environment but it helped grow my confidence and task management. The people are very friendly to work with and they are very helpful
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
salary
The childcare work placement was really enjoyable I enjoyed being around children helping them out and playing with them.

Cleaning up the mess they made at the end of the day.
Cons
8 hours