Kirklees Active Leisure Employee Reviews

Management are bullies
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dewsbury, West Yorkshire5 March 2018
Dispicable place to work, bullied by management, threatened with loosing job if you don't work over your hours, disrespectful to staff kids running the site as
" supervisors". That's just leisure attendants, gym staff get treated like they don't exist & aquatics side is laughable how it is managed.
Cons
Where to start
Good workplace & development
Sports & Activity Lead Activator (Current Employee) –  Dewsbury Sports Centre25 February 2018
Good company to work for with regards to personal development & opportunities throughout the company, Great teams throughout all sites & a can do attitude from most members of staff.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Unsocial Hours
fun workplace
apprentice lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire21 January 2018
got along well with other team members but not much access to development within the company
good shift times
lots of cleaning done during the work day, as well as set ups.
Average place to work.
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, UK22 May 2017
Good at keeping up with training of staff but were not always fair to staff on zero hours contracts in terms of funding the training. The management was ok but missed a few opportunities and have alienated local club which pay for and use there faculties.

The company would usually stand buy an employee if there was legal action ect.
Pros
Provided required training.
Cons
Poor community relations
Fun Workplace
Play Scheme Worker (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, West Yorkshire7 April 2017
Fun and exciting play to work. Management was good, looked after and cared about the employees. The staff was very pleasant and a joy to work with, everybody can get along with each other and everybody was very approachable. I learned vital skills in how to teach and help young children in sporting activities and arts and crafts as well as dance. I learned how to be a better role model and a better teacher, in turn being a better person. The most enjoyable part of the job? It was all a blast!
Pros
Time Fly's when you're having fun
productive and progressive workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Scissett6 April 2017
During a day at work, I would spend 50% of my time watching pool and preventing any incidents that may occur. the other 50% I am training for reception and dealing with money, customers and phone calls or ensuring the cleanliness and safety of the building for other facility users.
Pros
interacting with customers
Cons
shift work
Good place to work for young people
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kirklees, West Yorkshire1 March 2017
This company is a great place to work for young people, it allows great flexibility due to being able to be casual. There are usually enough hours to pick up to suit everyone.
decent place to work
Sport Activator (Current Employee) –  Dewsbury, West Yorkshire17 January 2017
work life at DSC is ok, they are willing to progress you as an individual. Management is hit and miss there is some good and bad.
Pros
progression
Cons
pay to park
Not a great company to work for especially aquatics
Aquatics Activator (Former Employee) –  Kirklees, West Yorkshire30 November 2016
The staff are great to work with and are all very welcoming. Management and in particular aquatics are very poor. They only approve annual leave if swimming lessons are covered and if they're not your expected to teach during your annual leave. Progression is non existent as you only get a pay rise if you complete KALs courses which they decide when they get put on and then management decide if you go on it or not which means they decide when you get a pay rise. It is also expected at certain times of the year you have to work your day off but you cannot take this back as you wish. Lieu cannot be taken when you wish.

In terms of training and developing yourself all courses are run 'in house' and therefore means you are unable to take your extra qualifications elsewhere and if you leave within a 2 year period you have to pay for your training.
Pros
Great friendly team
Cons
Poor aquatics management
Day at work
Lifeguard/Customer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Batley6 September 2016
A typical day at work would be setting up my computer for the day. Logging customers into the gym or swimming sessions. At the end of my shift I cash up the total takings and get e terminal read.
Pros
Employee gym membership
Cons
Working long hours
Fun workplace
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield27 July 2016
During my day at work I ensure all pool users are safe by watching over the pool during sessions such as the length swim and public swim etc. I also ensure that changing rooms, toilets and other customer areas are clean, tidy and safe for members of the public to be in.
Great people, good company
(Currently) - Casual Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield23 March 2016
Working in leisure can be pretty interesting, dealing with the general public on a daily basis always brings along new tales to tell, never a dull moment. Management wise it depends on the site worked at, the place I work I can't fault them. As for the co workers they'll truly be friends for life, all around great people.
Pros
Easy job
shop assistance
shop assistance (Current Employee) –  Dewsbury, ENG8 February 2015
was a great place, loved working for Vento as an assistance, i still go there sometimes for a treat, staff was friendly and helpful,
Good
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  ENG1 December 2013
Good company to work for with some excellent benefits

Management excellent

Every day Different
A stepping stone to get me to where I want to be
Promotions & Retention Activator (Former Employee) –  Huddersfield, ENG25 November 2013
The days were very varied, which I liked. Before I got the role as Promotions & Retention Activator a day would often become monotonous.

However after gaining my degree and having worked for KAL for such a long time I managed to take on more responsibility and got given a separate role as a Promotions & Retention Activator, something which I thrived on and developed the role and by the time I left I had numerous responsibilities; from helping market PT's to developing brand awareness to analyzing usage statistics to working alongside the bored of trustees and sponsors, plus many more. So everyday I would be doing something different. Of course my main role when I was first given the job was to listen to what our current customers want in order to retain them as well as promoting the facilities we have to potential new customers. This was done through events, tours, going to open days etc..

Visitor reports showed an average increase of use in the center on a month to month basis of 7% in 2013 from 2012 and an average increase in memberships of 4% on last year’s month to month despite being a premium center during a recession. I believe this is due to implementing marketing strategies and listening to consumers and developing sales channels. The fact that my center was seeing positive results was something that a took a great deal of satisfaction from.

I learnt how to implement strategies in a practical environment and learnt how to deal with a variety of different people, not only gym enthusiasts but business people. CEO's, sponsors, the board of trustees and so on.
  more...

I had a fantastic relationship with my co-workers I was always happy to help and listen. I worked hard with the personal trainers as many knew little about business and marketing. I helped them create a brand and target customers more effectively. Throughout my studies I learnt a lot about branding and targeting I believe this helped me in this instance.

Having worked as a shift supervisor in the past I got along well with the management as I know what they would be going through often. As I worked my way up from being a Lifeguard and a Fitness Instructor I could relate with most people in the center.
Pros
Seeing positive results and getting practical hands on experience
Cons
Poor hourly rate in the Leisure Industry
Not a bad Leisure company by any means
Duty Manager - FOH and Fitness (Former Employee) –  Scissett, ENG25 November 2013
Having worked for them for just over 10 years, KAL is a council-based charitable trust that runs the Local Authorities sports and leisure centres.