Kier Group

Kier Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom560 reviews
Good people
The company has great people working for it but is in a financial mess at the moment and job security is low. The organisation can also feel a little unorganised at times with an unclear business plan. People that work hard are well respected but not necessary as well paid as they would be at other tier 1 contractors.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Unorganised
20 May 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review, we're glad that you enjoyed working alongside our teams - we are fundamentally built on our people. We appreciate your honesty as well, and will make sure it is fed back to the relevant people.
In 41 years of my working life, it is the worst contract I have ever worked on
Senior Management, did not manage, very very poor. I do not know how they get the roles that they do. Because they have no idea how to manage a contract, but more importantly people!! No one on the contract was happy in their job. No one ever followed anything through in a professional timely manner. Even HR were not efficient and competent. Most enjoyable part of my job whilst I worked there was when I didn't have to go into the office that I was based at. Best part was when I had to visit other sites.
20 May 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review, your feedback is genuinely appreciated.
Productive work place and situated in a great location
I enjoyed working for Kier and would be there now if the work site had not been sold. The nearest Kier office is too far to travel to each day. Whilst there, I learned a number of new skills in the commercial and operations field. A very helpful company for promoting careers.
20 May 2020
Thanks for the 4-stars, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed working with us and that we could help you learn new skills along the way!
Too many managers
A lot of changes over the years, none of which particularly good practice. Too many Managers and not enough staff and too many junior staff which require constant overseeing.
They treat their long term staff abysmally
20 May 2020
Thank you for comments, your feedback is very important to us.
You reap what you sow
I like my job at Kier , I’m only a zero hours contractor but I’m long enough in the tooth to know people who bad mouth the company they work for , usually moan about everything. You get out what you put in.
20 May 2020
Thank you for the review, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying your role at Kier.
Awful
You had to pull a cable from a green box to someone’s house half the time it wouldn’t work so you was sitting about waiting but on the other hand the days went quick
20 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, we appreciate your feedback.
Ok company
They did what they said.it was neither good or bad . The management could have been better .trouble was same management tupied over! Kier good on training and furthering your career.
20 May 2020
We're happy to hear your feedback about your time at Kier, thank you for recognising our training and development.
Low Job Security
Not knowing what the following week would bring. Very tight margins required which brought a lot of pressure to each project. Feasibility studies were weak and therefore clients expectations were never achieved.
20 May 2020
We appreciate your feedback, thank you for taking the time to leave us an honest review.
Fun and happy place to work, everyone enjoyed working together.
Everyone worked as a team. Everyone gave our Operations Director 110%. No one was too busy to assist someone that was having problems. Also assistance if someone was having personal problems.
Pros
Beautiful offices
Cons
Business Park so nothing local for shopping
20 May 2020
Thank you for the 4 stars! We're glad to hear that you are enjoying your role, and that everyone is embodying one of our values of being collaborative!
A company where favouritism exists secretly
Favourites are greatly respected better than others whilst the quieter employees are secretly looked down upon by managers who don't have the best human resources skills choosing to turn a blind eye to certain things. Some staff try and boast about how good they are etc when in fact no one is better than anyone else.
20 May 2020
Hi, thank you for the review. We would highly encourage you to speak to your local HR representative regarding the issues you have raised.
Excellent atmosphere
Very relaxed, friendly, but hard-working atmosphere in a specialist field. Found it very interesting to learn about that field.
Everyone was open in their communications, and it turned out to be one of the most enjoyable of my work experiences.
20 May 2020
Thanks for the 4 stars! We're very happy to read your feedback, and glad to know that you enjoyed your time with us.
Good job but stressful
Good job to have although the wages could be better for the amount of work that is covered. Training could be better also but for the job that is done, the only way to learn is to jump in.
20 May 2020
Thank you for your honest review, we will take on board your feedback to help us as we move forward.
Just a number
Its not a bad place to work and local management is good however Kier is a big company the has many work streams and company policies don't always suite your work stream,
Achievements don't get recognised progression difficult you have to know someone to move around the company otherwise your just a number.

work life balance has been good.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
not collabrative
20 May 2020
Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear that you feel there is a positive work/life balance - the wellbeing of our teams are extremely important to us. We would encourage you to speak to your local HR representative about the other points that you have mentioned - we can then do our best to help.
Ex Site Agent
I have worked for some of the Tier 1 Contractors in the UK , and Kier are by far the worst. Will never work for them again. Arrogant Senior Managers, useless Works Managers , rail staff on a road job. No appreciation of peoples skills and experience. Also staff turnover was huge with engineers and supervisors coming and going on a weekly basis. The December organigram was 90% different in April. They treated sub-contractors or self-employed as dispensable at any time. Engineers that questioned methods were gone the next day . 0 safety culture, just photos on LinkedIn. Some of the lowest skilled Health and Safety Advisors I ever came across in my carrier. Career development for junior staff was next to none. I left after 10 long months.
If they go down it will be a good thing for the industry.
22 May 2020
Thank you for your review, we sincerely appreciate the feedback.
One of the worst I've ever worked for
Too much messing about, management unwilling to accept responsibilities for their mistakes, more interested in passing the blame on to the employees under them. Also frightening employees into doing tasks by using the words 'Disciplinary' and 'Mandatory'.
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
A4 sheet of paper not big enough to list them
20 May 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review, your feedback is genuinely important to us.
Never again - worst company ever worked for
Back stabbing, inconsistent management, all talk -no action. Too busy nit picking, spends more time dotting the i's and crossing t's to worry about the employees.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
List is far too long
20 May 2020
Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate your comments and they are very important to us.
Good place to work at times. Some days were harder than others. when vehicles broke down it was a long process to try and get them back on the road. I would still recommend KIER.
20 May 2020
Thank you for leaving us a review and for detailing your experience with us at Kier, we glad to hear you would recommend us.
Isolated , left alone .
Being isolated on a clients site and having to learn the processes from a line manager who himself was learning, compounded the problems even further . Being visited by the leadership team, taking up your valuable time and never being able to get the time back.
22 May 2020
Many thanks for leaving us a review, your feedback about your time at Kier is important to us.
Former covils manager
Poor company to work for I wouldn't waste your time with this company selfish and they treat there staff poorly the directors all there bothered about are themselves hr thing they are the police
22 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, your feedback is important to us and we'll make sure that we take this on board.
Good
Very good place to work easy going ppl but very professional work place with loads of opportunity’s to move forward enjoyed everyday I worked there great place
22 May 2020
Thank you for the 5-stars! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to provide some fantastic opportunities for you.
stressful
managers were awful,everyday some other manager would turn up with more stuff you had to deal with that maybe wasn't anything todo with your role awful job and work environment. made me ill
22 May 2020
Thank you for the review, we're sorry to hear of this, your feedback is very important to us.