KENT COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Negative
Other Experience (Current Employee) –  Maidstone6 November 2018
I am finding it a very negative and unprofessional environment to work in. I don't feel as though I can continue my studies, my manager isn't very supportive and had no people skills. The only good thing I can think of is working from home and flexi time - being able to take more holiday than just my set holiday days.

For me this doesn't outweigh the negatives at all.
Pros
flexi and working from home
Cons
lonely, unsocial, negative, poor management
Calm Office Environment with very little stress
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Whitstable, Kent29 August 2018
Perfect place to work whilst my children were small, understanding boss who allowed flexible working hours. The key is to be trustworthy and hard working, always work back the extra time that has been given to you. There are processes in place to protect employees therefore there is an element of job security that comes with working for the council.
Pros
flexible hours, close to home, great work colleagues
friendly work enviroment
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks, Kent, Alys29 August 2018
I worked in two roles one of that was librarian across the branches in Sevenoaks districts.

Some of the typical days I covered different branches my own.

I enjoyed working in libraries with own initiative and offered my excellent customer service.

Then I moved to library head office for couple of months temporarily as a IT admin.

working environment was very nice and friendly and I worked part of team.
Good work life balance
Senior Accounting Technician (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent24 October 2018
The main positive about working for KCC is that they offer flexible working, good annual leave and a good pension. KCC is good for working mums for flexible working, or people that like to have a work life balance. I would say that KCC is not good for progression.
Great opportunities to develop.
Early Help Unit Worker (Current Employee) –  East Malling30 September 2018
I have been in and out of Kcc for 7 years , they have alway supported me and pushed for further development.
If you are working for families in the public sector, then you may question the salary for what you do within the role.
Pros
Development, Team
Cons
Salary, lack of management roles.
Every Day can be different
Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Kent County Council6 July 2018
A typical day is really difficult to describe as work is very different now as we have moved to a new structure within our unit.

I have learned a great deal during my time with KCC and the support of line management and colleagues has helped me to develop skills and gain confidence to grow with the ever demanding increase in work.
Pros
Flexible Working
Cons
Resource available to help support you within your role can be difficult.
Management.
Business Support Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Folkestone, Kent25 June 2018
If management don't like you, you will hear about it, they never actually help you if you're going through personal strife. They claim there is great progression and support but there really isn't. Would not recommend working here.
Pros
None.
Cons
Worked from 9 to 5 with 30 mins lunch, management dont support you, make up lies just to gey rid of you
Good Temp Work
Business and Office Administrator (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Maidstone5 November 2018
I worked for KCC in a temporary position and enjoyed the support whilst learning the role. Good hourly pay rate. Treat staff well. Bad working premises (outdated).
Enjoy working with KCC
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent5 June 2018
Work is great and rewarding just job security is a major issue.
I have been told my contract can not be extended due to school debts which leaves me in a very dangerous situation as I am the sole keeper of my house after a messy divorce and need to keep payments up so my daughter can live in the house....
Pros
pleasant environment
Cons
poor managment
Productive and amazing group of people
Payments Officer (Current Employee) –  Maidstone17 June 2018
I have been working in for the last year and have met some amazing people and learnt things I never thought I would have done, The things iv'e been taught I will always use with me.
Pros
Good people and learnt along the way
Cons
Customers can be be difficut
Reasonable compared to other LA
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent14 April 2018
I guess the hardest part is learning to switch off. You were constantly jumping from one task to another and playing catch up on tasks plan due to dealing with crisis or supporting the team, but then that is social work nowadays. I was part of a good stable team which is very helpful and I would say essential considering the work undertaken. Good training on offer and good welcome packages for new workers.
Pros
One of the better local authorities for social work practise.
Cons
Often find yourself working above paid hours and struggle to get time to take Toil
Productive and Fun
Regional Support Analyst - Windows 10 rollout (Current Employee) –  Kent12 July 2018
Very management strong but a great place to work. Especially being field based

Very technically minded and will encourage career progression...........
Pros
Seeing Kent
Cons
Petrol expense
senior administrator
Senior Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Maidstone23 July 2018
good environment and lots of good people wo are a pleasure to work with my jobs requires a good eye for detail and strong work ethic is needed with good benefits.
Great flexibility, but a frustrating culture
Project Officer (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent22 March 2018
Pros:

- Great flexibility, in terms of working patterns and working at home
- Colleagues who are friendly, helpful, team players and have a strong belief in what they are doing

Negatives:

- Advancement can be slow, with some favoured over others
- Salaries often do not reflect responsibility, disparity between roles across the organisation
- Individuals often overstretched
- Good management of poor performance is non-existent
- Significant blame culture and tendency to be risk-averse
Unrealistic expectations
Early Help Worker (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent11 June 2018
Workers are underpaid given level of responsibility and expectations
constantly changed targets, pressure to meet data requirements - low morale, high staff turnover, no change from senior management.
Pros
pension
fun workplace
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent16 July 2018
only worked for a limited time during my work experience there but had fun in that short time. Great building with nice staff and plenty of utilities.
really nice people
ASSISTANT SITE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kent16 May 2018
After working along side kent county council for many years it has been a real pleasure to work for them, as clients they are second to none and they reallly nice people
Pros
nice people
Good Working Environment
Customer Service Adviser (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent1 January 2018
The work involved taking called from a wide variety of people with different enquiries and services which could be resolved on the phone straight away or a call back was required with updated information or transferring the call to another department if further discussions were required. The atmosphere within the call centre was good with a friendly attitude, good humour, etc with clear management levels if problems needed to be resolved.
Flexible Good team
Network Engineer, User Support (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent26 January 2018
Providing LAN support to SHQ 4 sites. Visit sites all over Kent, installing Network equipment, Helping user with IT issues. Network duty providing 1st line Network (LAN & WAN) support. Contact cabling supplier requesting and schedule work as and when required.
Pros
Flex time
Good work life balance
Application Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Maidstone28 January 2018
Like all local governments Kent County Council are undergoing budget cuts which means restructuring of many departments. It also means they cannot offer a competitive salary compared to the private sector or provide the job security they once could. Gone are the days you worked for the council for twenty plus years!

Pay scale is not consistent across departments or the council as whole so someone on £21k in one department might be expected take on more responsibilities than elsewhere in the council

Some departments within KCC treat their staff better than others so it is difficult to review the council as a whole
Pros
Very accommodating of work life balance, most departments offer flexi hours. Flexible working is encouraged (ie working from home), the usual council pension
Cons
Salary isn't competitive, most departments do not invest in their staff with training, pay scale is inconsistent across departments