kate spade Employee Reviews

Terrible management and no room for growth
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CA12 August 2018
The brand and company are fun and colorful and that's where the positives end with this company. There is no room for growth within the store unless one of the store leaders decides they like you. Working here is like high school drama but getting paid minimum wage to be there and getting treated poorly by management. There is no organization and hours will be drastically cut if the store is slow.

A typical day there consists of being reprimanded for not doing enough even if there are 3 guests inside the store. Followed by not receiving your breaks on time and being spoken down to the entire time you are there. Additionally, favorites and clearly and frequently chosen so depending on if management decides they like you or not you will be dress coded while your co workers who are not dressed work appropriately will not be given a second look.

Unless you are ready to completely roll over for management I do not recommend working here. The workplace culture is toxic and not an enjoyable day to day environment.
Pros
Cons
Gossip, poor management, favorites, hours cut, low pay, poor scheduling
Overall great company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NY 1060111 August 2018
This is by far the best company I have worked for. The company knows who their customers are, who they stand for and truly take the time to develop their team, not only with on boarding process but with constant development!
Over $30 million Store
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hornby, ON10 August 2018
Due to the heavy, heavy amount of traffic and managing a large team- it was always chaotic. Very fun environment to work within at that moment, but not anymore due to alteration in management.
Love the brand....management is pathetic
Part-time Associate (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TN2 August 2018
Management is awful....
Gossips
Spiteful
Preferential treatment
Don't do what they say
Can't schedule, nor listen to availability
Kept from getting wardrobe because of missed mtg.
(Never a reason NOT to get wardrobe)
Pros
Discount
Cons
Breaks ignored, no benefits, no hours, treated unfairly
no room for growth
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CA2 August 2018
Working at kate spade I thought would be a great job. They do not give you an opportunity to move up nor do they give raises. The managers you think are great but half the time end up talking badly about you behind your back. I wouldn't recommend working here, unless they have changed their ways.
Enjoyable workplace environment with many useful skills that can be utilized
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FL26 July 2018
A typical day at work was very goal oriented. We knew exactly what we needed to do and aimed to make it happen through the sales that we made. The management did a great job at encouraging the sales team to do the best that they could. The workplace culture was very enjoyable with everyone in the right mindset and attitude. The hardest part of the job came with some of the types of people that you had to deal with. The hardest part was also the most enjoyable because that was where the room for growth came in, in learning to deal with the different personalities that exist.
Pros
Rewards for making sales goals
Cons
Not many benefits for part-time employees
They pay you great to treat you like trash
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 July 2018
the absolute worst company I have ever worked for.

12 hour shifts, management hides in the back for their supervisor to run the store and of course...anything that goes wrong will be blamed on you.

Recently promoted supervisors with no prior management experience whatsoever talking back to you as if your previous management experience is nothing.

This specific location is not worth your time or effort working for.
terrible management
"Sales Associate" (Former Employee) –  California25 July 2018
pick their favorites, have no respect for new workers because they expect you to know everything about the brand without proper training. if you look young you will automatically be thought of as less
Worst place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TX23 July 2018
Do not work here!!!! The management absolutely sucks, they do not care about you at all. Once I was working a shift from 8 am - 5 pm and they still made me go throw the heavy trash!!!
It's alright
seasonal retail sales person (Current Employee) –  Gaffney, SC20 July 2018
Love the job itself and the company, management is either super or way off. Don't expect enough hours to even come close to living on. Don't expect a raise. Don't expect advancement.
Pros
discount, benefits, breaks
Cons
low pay, low hours, stress
This was kindergarten
Sales associates (Current Employee) –  Delaware19 July 2018
I experienced such age discrimination there and the companies management wasn't interested. It was appalling for a company who represents women does not really support them.
Pros
Discounts if you like the styles
Cons
Discrimination
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Williamsburg, VA11 July 2018
Great company to work for, enjoyed and loved job. I'd recommend this job to others and wish I could go back but I had to move. The management was great and very supportive of workers.
Inspiring work environment.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NY10 July 2018
Working at Kate Spade New York was exciting and inspirational. My typical day at work consisted of processing daily shipment, taking on different tasks,assisting customers over the phone as well as in person. The most exciting part about working at Kate Spade was being able to meet different people, such as artist's that collaborated in making customized handbags for customers.
Pros
Great discount on all items.
Cons
inconsistency with hours and scheduling.
Fun and Fast Paced
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CA7 July 2018
It would not be possible to work here without the positive and energetic atmosphere that is curated by the management and sales team at this store. Although small, It is a very high paced location that needs a minimum of 3-8 associates on the selling floor during the slowest periods and during peaks time such as holidays or even just weekends needs anywhere from 9 to 18 associates who can work in a fast pace environment and maintain composure during stressfull times. often times an exterior line needs to held not only to provide a positive experience inside but also to keep the store safe for guests and associates. Their are many different types of guests and you really never expect what kind of day you will have. Thanks to the uniquely cheerful attitude of all members of the team it remains a fun place to work.
Pros
Friendly and helpful Management, great work culture, lot's of resources, long breaks
Cons
many stressful customers who really test your limits, associates sometimes have to close at 10 or 11pm and be back at 6 am
Love
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL28 June 2018
I loved working in the Orlando location and the managers were amazing. Everyone there was so nice and very welcoming it really felt like a family. the discount was also really nice my closet is stocked with kate items.
Pros
70 percent off
kate spade
sales / stock associate (Former Employee) –  California25 June 2018
It was alright. management changed like 5 times in the time i worked there. work hard you get more hours. ignore the drama because its always there. have fun whenever you can it doesnt last long.
Fun and happy place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Destin, FL12 June 2018
The brand is fun and has beautiful product! It seems overwhelming at the beginning but gets easier with time. It's a good company to stand behind. They value their workers.
What I learned at kate spade shaped who I am!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Troy, MI12 June 2018
I worked for kate spade before it was sold to Neiman's and while she was still involved. It was a life changing experience where I still use the skills I gained there and the love of detail and understanding of the total lifestyle brand and client experience.
a positive enviroment to work for.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJ3 June 2018
Since the day I been working at Kate Spade, I was received with a positive attitude. We always talk any issues that are preventing us from reaching the store golfer the day and we maintain a good teamwork to accomplish the goal for the day. We work as a team in which makes us relaid on each other in a good way.
Pros
good communication system
Cons
cutting hrs during few months
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TX31 May 2018
It was fun and I enjoyed workin there while it lasted. It would be a little messy because the employees would gossip all the time including managers. I was happy working there till the end.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at kate spade. Our community is ready to answer.