JW Lees Employee Reviews

No support and no training
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 October 2019
Absolutely shocking company, no job security, no trainning even when you ask for it the only good thing was the team i had other then that id rather be unemployed.
Very Poor
Head Chef/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire19 October 2019
I worked as a head chef for JW Lees , but I'm afraid that I didn't have a good experience. Many different managers (most were lazy & didn't provide any support) Long hours, no breaks.
No interest in staff welfare or progression. Staff treated like dirt & if the bosses visited, they just ignored most of the staff. Supposed to be a family company but it felt like no one cared.
Absolute rubbish company
Chef (Former Employee) –  North West1 August 2019
Work all day with no break, 12 hours straight. Some places are filthy and I mean filthy! I wouldn't eat in their pubs. Disgrace to catering these places....avoid at all costs...
Pros
Cons
Long Hours with no breaks, dirty kitchens
Poor
Glass Collector (Current Employee) –  Lancashire16 June 2019
Very monotonous with a dire work atmosphere, management becomes unsatisfied even when the job is fully complete however the co workers are very enthusiastic
productive
Second Chef (Current Employee) –  Ramsbottom, Greater Manchester20 December 2018
fast paced kitchen
Learned new skills when a gained my title as second chef
most enjoyable part of my job is knowing i have the chance to move up the ladder within jw lees company
Pros
good salary
Cons
no breaks
Worst place to work
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow, Cheshire27 October 2018
Bullying goes on and nothing gets done about it, when you go to the manager they don't care and sack you. Also breaks the law with young people, makes them work more hours than the law allows and gives you no breaks, money is rubbish, expect the younger people to do more work than the older ones even though you're on a lot less, avoid.
Pros
Cons
Bullying, no team work, pay, management
enjoyable
land lady (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 February 2018
Enjoyable company to work for, good management team and easy to reach location of work . Hardest part of the job is late working hours and best part is meeting new faces on a daily basis.
Possibly the worst company I have ever worked for.
Chef (Former Employee) –  North West6 October 2017
Possibly the worst company I’ve ever worked for. Poor management, no career progression, employees just a number that never get any appreciation,AVOID
Pros
Some decent staff that work hard
Cons
No appreciation
Incredible People
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Holmfirth, West Yorkshire28 September 2017
The hours are incredibly long and exhausting, the demands of the work can be difficult and higher up management is not perfect, however the staff are all the most incredible, hardworking people i've ever met and i genuinely look forward to going to work. Every day is a new challenge and a new bunch of laughs. Also staff don't always get the breaks we are legally entitled to on a long shift which makes it hard but most management work hard to make sure we do get breaks so its usually ok. The only downside is there are no benefits with the job - we still pay high prices for lunch and drinks, which is many other places are provided free when working a certain number of hours
Pros
incredible staff
Cons
long hours, sometimes no breaks, no benefits
Good to work for.
Tenant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester12 June 2017
Great company to work for, always straight forward and honest. Only downside to my role is not having enough meetings with area manager. I enjoy working here and look to do so in the future.
Pros
Discount
good place to work
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester8 December 2016
The Millgate. Busy public house in Failworth, Manchester has large function room, has menu plus carvery, has a good working team
Pros
good team it's like a family
fun workplace
Waitressing (Current Employee) –  Lees17 March 2016
I enjoy working at JW Lees due to the pleasant customers and lively staff, however, I do not enjoy the long and usually late shifts. I am often there till 11-11:30 on a college night, and past midnight on weekends. This leaves me exhausted, behind, and unprepared for my main focus; college.
about the pub
Bartender The Grey Hound (Former Employee) –  ashley18 August 2015
my job was great when I worked there I was learning things I didn't get chance to anywhere else such as maintaining the cask ales to a high level and making sure we never ran out, I never got to do that anywhere else because managers like to do cask themselves because if you tap it wrong you may find yourself losing a lot of money and have a lot of angry regulars. but I was taught well and never really had any problem. also being at a well run country pub you got to know your regulars on a more personal level the pub itself was like someones living room you could just relax not like anywhere else ive worked where its been chaotic you actually have to do things and everything get done to a high standard !
Pros
cheaper staff meals
Cons
was awkward to get to
good in most areas
Waiter/Barman (Former Employee) –  Menai Bridge21 January 2014
A day is somewhat rewarding, I had gained bar experience - something I never did before. The management was mostly good, I do believe we were way under staffed whilst I was there though which didn't help.
I don't have a negative thing to say any of the co-workers, I learnt how to be more efficient from them.

Friday nights, when well under staffed, having to multi task and be very quick on days where various customers were at need.
Working at the bar felt rewarding, best part of the job I'd say.
Pros
staff discounts
Cons
short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at JW Lees. Our community is ready to answer.