Jones Bootmakers Employee Reviews

Just a bit to far to commute
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire9 June 2019
Well I loved working here. The girls are really lovely and very helpful. I learn't a lot. It is really hard work and you must have a level of fitness. Management are great. I wish I had lived closer to Harrogate.
Pros
Great and very helpful work colleagues
Cons
Contract hours to short
Awful management
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Anglia7 May 2019
Store manager had an awful attitude and was incapable of doing their job relying on all other staff to do the work they should of done while they wondered around trying to look busy. Awful money for the workload and work/life balance was non existent being told to work 6 day weeks 1/2 times a month due to lack of flexibility
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Store manager useless
Stay away
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorset6 February 2018
In the 3 years I worked for Jones we had several managers as head office were not pro active in finding the right manager. This resulted in permanent staff changes which i believe affects sales. This is not a company I would ever return to.
Pros
Decent staff discount
Cons
Disorganised company.
Staff helpful and always there for advice
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne, East Sussex16 November 2017
It was a helpful and friendly place, with people always there to give you advice. Learnt the importantce of having your stock organized and what customers want when using your store like be friendly and approachable.
Pros
Helpful and friendly staff
Cons
Pay was low
Great for part time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex10 September 2017
Great for part time work for students alongside school/college/university. Offer lower hour contracts to suit you, often offering over time during busier seasons.
Supportive team where you get to learn a lot about a specialist area - shoes.
Children's department took up a lot of time and became very stressful during back to school periods.
Can be quite quiet when there are no sales or in between seasons.
Cons
Standing for hours.
my confidence has improved.
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon2 March 2017
I have enjoyed working as a valid team member with Jones Bootmaker, I have gained valuable experience dealing with customers and their enquiries, gaining the experience that I have from Jones Bootmaker and my team mates, I have been able to take over running the shop, operating the till and handling cash transactions.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Unable to gain full time hours
Store-to-store, a great company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London29 January 2017
The thing that makes Jones a good company to work for is the people in the stores themselves. I've worked in many different stores in the company in London and there's a great sense of community within the region.

What the company is lacking is sufficient organisation from head office. From within the stores the decisions made by head office do not feel as thought-through as they could be.
Pros
Great teams
Cons
Disorganisation
Become a shoe connoisseur
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kendal2 January 2017
This was the first proper job, which I received a wage for and my contract only requested me to work 4 hours on a Saturday, needless to say I did a lot of over-time, in fact, towards the end of the time I spent at Jone's I had little choice to do overtime and got to meet a few different managers because we were very short-staffed.

I enjoyed the varied tasks, from dealing with customer needs to managing stock, the other employees were always very friendly and very helpful. I think the hardest part of the job was when I was only there on weekends because every time I went back the shop floor would have been moved around and the stockroom completely changed and I'd have to re-create the shoe map in my head. The most enjoyable part of the job was probably helping the customer as they are usually truly lovely and honest, which means you can help them easier. I also enjoyed that tangibility of the products as there is a lot to learn about each one and this makes the role more interesting. You will become increasingly more interested in shoes whether you like it or not, I was constantly looking at people's shoes while in this job.
Pros
Varied responsibilities
Cons
Unorganised management
Worst management ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clifton, Bristol22 December 2016
worst job I have ever had. Managers would COMPLAIN about being there and literally count down the hours till they could leave. the supervisor was a student who really had a chip on her shoulder. overall a mess. I left after a month
Pros
i got paid
Cons
awful management, horrendous shop
Poor leadership
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Guernsey20 November 2016
Worked in the Guernsey store every briefly and it was awful. Lots of childish behaviour and back stabbing. Store is falling to pieces and the area management couldn't organise anything
Poorly managed
Supervisor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Dorset8 November 2016
I was doing a management role but the receiving the pay as a retail sales assistant.
Received hardly any training by management i had to learn off of other members of staff, then i was left to be expected to run the shop on my own when management was not in.
Poor communication skills between the shop and higher management, rotas were regualry messed up.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
hours and roots very complicated.
Great Company, Changed too much
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Reigate17 April 2016
Originally a great heritage company, taken over by 2 european identities making many changes which overall effected work life and the benefits within the company.

A fantastic place for me to start my Retail career.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Lack of Benefits, Poor higher management
Unstable
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Westfield, Derby6 July 2014
I accepted the job "weekend sales assistant" and was told i would be paid minimum wage. However, i was called into work on week days, whereby i would have to run from my school, which finished at 3:50, to work which started at 4. The stress of this work, and being paid below minimum wage, affected my GCSE's.
Pros
Interaction with people
Cons
The wages
Enjoyable and Friendly
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, ENG17 March 2014
The store that I worked in was lovely, great management, friendly people. I learnt about shoe construction, textiles and history of shoes. As I was only a Sales Advisor, the job was not too strenuous, the work was good, the people lovely. The most difficult part was dealing with irate customers, but luckily we only had a few in the time I was there.
Fun workplace
Temporary Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woking10 November 2013
Being retail obviously no day is the same. One minute you can have a very happy customer who is easy and pleasant to serve, the next can be a little more diffcult and challenging.
Working here has reminded me of the value of being somewhere where everything is organised well. From simple tasks of rotas being issued weeks in advance, managers being friendly and approachable and flexible.
The hardest part of the job for me personally is the job itself not being the most challenging, as I am currently looking for a role in events whilst I temp here over Christmas, but I enjoy being in contact with people again and the team there are amazing. We work whilst having fun at the same time which is always an important factor in the work place.
Pros
working with lovely people
Cons
not what I want to be doing
Tough Targets
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2013
During my time here I worked as a sales assistant, serving customers and catering to their specific needs. My time here was mainly during the Christmas and sale period and I coped well with being under pressure during busy times in store. During my time at Jones I became comfortable approaching customers and aiding them in finding and trying on footwear that fit their needs in order to gain sales and adhere to targets set.
Fun Workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Eastbourne13 March 2013
Managers are okay and can have a laugh with. Free drinks, and brilliant banter. Very repetitive and can get boring, but they give a lot of freedom and you can do things your way.
Pros
great workplace
Cons
can get boring and tedious.