Jones Bootmaker Employee Reviews

retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Queens Road, UK17 January 2019
when i worked there the management were awful, wasn't trained properly and was always left to my own devices, wasn't a good job at all. i wouldn't recommend.
Pros
discount on retail
Cons
horrible management
Very fast paced
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans10 January 2019
in your typical day you would be expected to deliver excellent customer service, saying hi to customers and finding the shoes they want in the stock room. Through working at Jones Bootmaker i learned how to engage with customers more and to be able to work in a more fast paced environment.
The Management could have been better, along with the amount of staff as some days there would be less staff when more had been needed.
The hardest part of the job would definitely be finding certain shoes when in incorrect places, most enjoyable part is the friendly team.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Not enough staff
A good way to meet new people
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 January 2019
The Management were unorganised and the salary does not fit what you're asked to perform. The shifts unless youre on a salary or contracted are never stable. and you only find out updates a day in advance. When at work its good to talk to different customers but thats about the most enjoyment to be had.
Pros
Social
Cons
no structure
Usually friendly work enrivonment.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Berkshire4 January 2019
Regularly pushed to meet targets, not too stressful but constantly changing stock, not very organised of consistenet in the stock room. Management poor, training is minimal. not much support when taking time of due to sudden illness, unreasonably questioning when unwell.
Good but Unpredictable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln26 September 2018
I enjoy most of my time there but I was unfortunately with two stores that faced closures so I felt a lack of job security.
Keeping up with sales targets was hard in quieter stores with high competition.
Management in stores was brilliant in both stores, ready to give assistance when needed!
Pros
Sales Support
Cons
Paying for expensive uniform, store closures
High energy
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent5 September 2018
Can be slow paced or fast paced at times. Work days are unpredictable , dependant on customer demand. Good work environment, friendly colleagues and enjoyable atmosphere
Pros
1 hour lunch when working full day
Cons
Sometimes highly stressful
poor job, poor management for you own insanity you rather be unemployed
Sales Assistant/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 August 2018
Unprofessional management team based on personalized relationships and favoritism. Unorganised manager, lack of staff management and coordination. A typical day at Jones is running around constantly getting shoes for customer tying up after sloppy customers and dealing with annoying customer complaints and returns. Working within the team is the best part everyone is nice gets along helps one another out which makes it enjoyable to work there. a bad day at Jone is the same a typical day however slow sales same customers same scenarios but you get time waster trying on 20 pairs of shoes they either buy none or buy one or no customers at all so you're just standing around doing nothing. The company is better of closing during non- peak times because if they are not on sale they are not making any money, therefore Jones is always on sale a typical winter and summer sale lasts up to 6 months believe it or not. The company is more concerned about their own arses then anyone else's and that the CEO, Director, Owner all the ones with the fancy titles, lots of staff have lost their jobs in Jones after giving 5- 15years of their time in Jones. A manager received a call to be told she no longer has a job, another manager came into work to be told to close the store and leave as she no longer has a job and nor do her staff. The time and money are not worth the job really and truly for what is put into carrying out a day to day job. For the manager, supervisors and sales assistants it's not fair they have to deal with all the unpleasant backlash because the head office and the one with  more... the fancy titles are incompetent in doing their jobs.  less
Pros
Flexibility, nice collegues
Cons
long hours, poor management
Part Time Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth27 June 2018
It was a job in my teenage years. To earn money part time so I didn't see it as something I wanted to do later on in life. It was something to fill the gap so I would never return.
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Not very flexible
Fun Place to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Derby26 June 2018
A lovely place to work, most of the time the customers were friendly and could build a relationship easily with them. Unfortunately the company was due to close so I did not get time to progress as promised
Pros
Discounts, Training, commission scheme
Cons
No set hours, store closure
Takes really good care of their employees.
Sales Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon15 April 2018
My time at Jones was very formative for me, and turned out to be the best thing for me at the time. I was incredibly shy but the environment there brought out the best in me.
I gave 5 years and came out much better for it.
Great team, bad management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex31 January 2018
Worked for the company for over 2 years, offer great flexibility for students etc. I was on a 4-hour contract but was always offered overtime.
Commission is available as well which is a great addition.
Wasn't given much training into shoes but management positions are offered more. I had an excellent manager who passed all of this training onto the staff but nothing from head office.
Sometimes difficult customers but the other employees are normally very supportive and help is offered by them when dealing with these sorts of customers.
However, the management at head office is not the best. They tend to keep a lot of information about the company away from employees especially in times of uncertainty. This may improve as the company becomes more steady.
Pros
Great flexibility
Cons
Head office
Busy working enviroment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stratford22 December 2017
Opening and closing of store, merchandising , stockroom duties . Administration and cash handling.Require good customer service Skills, to achieve sales. Hardest part is delivery day working with heavy stock. Best part being part of a good productive team.
Fun and Cultural Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 November 2017
Typical day at work is facing different type of customers and providing a service to their pleasure.
Learned how to manage my time and how to interact with different types of people.
The workplace was diverse in races which allowed me to learn about different type of cultures.
The hard part of the job would have to be the labor; going up and down a set of stairs all shift collecting shoes.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and building self-confidence.
Assistant manager interview
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire24 October 2017
Very simple retail management interview by HR, regular questions etc nothing very difficult.

Compnay looked strugling and losing stores. Doesnt look like secure job. As i wasnt hoping to go further with.
Pros
dont know
Cons
dont know
Good Management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset20 October 2017
This was only a short term Job for me spent just under four months with the company before moving back to London.
It was a fun learning experience, selling shoes and how to maintain them.
Pros
Flexible hours and days, Great management
Cons
Low wages, and to quiet
Friendly Environment for First Saturday Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ringwood20 August 2017
I normally helped sell shoes on the shop floor for the most part but I also helped with stock and window dressing.
I learnt about customer service and what was expected of me, how to sell a product and about shoe care.
Hardest part of the job was when the sales were on as there was a constant flow of customers to attend to, sometimes I was serving 3 at once due to lack of staff.
I enjoyed reaching my targets and getting commission.
Pros
staff discount.
Cons
lack of staff.
Great staff in store poor company procedure, poor upper managment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Harrogate1 August 2017
I recently got the job as manager of the Harrogate branch. Less than 1 week in the area manager who hired me left the company. I was left with no training and no idea as to what the futur plan was in terms of training. I then get a visit from the area manager who would be holding the area going forward, She arrived in the store during peak trade time and proceeded to belittle myself and completely remerchendise the shop floor ( All this tuck place I front of customers during peak trade ) She even commented about how the front door opened in over and how that was not satisfactory! Upon leaving the store she expressed her dissatisfaction with the store standards but never gave any direction as to how they could be improved. Upon her next visit less than a week later I was dismissed under the pretence that I was not in keeping with the brand. In short they is no organisation within the company. The training was non existenct and in the short time I was their it appeared that not anyone had any idea of the direction of the brand/company. Head office support was non existent, the only saving grace was the staff in the store who were kind caring and supportive.
Pros
In store staff
Cons
Lack of support, training, direction.
Overall Good
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands20 July 2017
In general a good organisation to work for although the last 2 years has been very unstable due to climate and lots of changes.
Plenty of opportunity to progress if you want to take the next step, started as supervisor and worked way up to branch manager.
Plenty of flexibility with days off in week although very few weekends off.
Pros
Manage on workload
Cons
Weekend work
Fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Inverness-shire, Highland10 July 2017
Working in jones was a fun environment it was a small staff which I think made it better than having rakes of employees always in with someone different it made us all close and friends the knowledge on shoes and ways to take care of them I never knew before
Great team and atmosphere
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol24 June 2017
Working in Jones was wonderful, the team I worked with were all lovely and the management there was good and fair, everyone was easy to talk to and if you needed help, it was easy to ask for.
A typical day required maintaining the appearance of the shop and serving customers.
The workplace culture was based on achieving targets and working hard.
The hardest part of the job was learning to adapt my sales technique to selling shoes.
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to meet the people that worked there and being able to learn about new products, information and tips for looking after shoes.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
No cons