Johnson Matthey Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work
Site Services Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Billingham, North Yorkshire9 January 2019
I loved my job a JM and would still be there if I had not been made redundant. Lovely place to work and lovely people. I started as an invoice clerk and grow in my role.
Sólidos valores éticos y profesionales
Investigador senior - Workstream manager (Current Employee) –  Reading (Reino Unido)27 September 2018
Cultura laboral basada en valores bien definidos: integridad, seguridad laboral, innovación, colaboración, etc.
Amplio rango de oportunidades laborales para estar en contacto con las técnicas e instrumentación científicas más avanzadas, colaborar con unidades productivas y gestionar proyectos de investigación.
Flexibilidad para conciliar la vida profesional y familiar.
False promises
Production Operative (Former Employee) –  Royston, Hertfordshire25 September 2018
Level system is a joke they have people working there on agency for over 4 years and do not take them on full time you get put under a level and are asked to do a job someone else who is lazy and on way more money than you cannot complete them selves allways being messed about with the shifts making you come in for a weekend when you havent agreed to in your contract and even missing payments sometimes on pay waiting a whole week for it to be corrected. Also machinery is constantly breaking down due to lack of awful management sacrficing your social life for shift work for a place like this never pays off! I was here 8 months and witness over 20 diffrent people come and go on my shift alone in my area if you are a family person stay away
Pros
Dont ever do work due to machinery breaking down
Productive and fun work place
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Sonning Common22 July 2018
flexible work hours e.g.8-4, 9-5 or 10-6
free lunch
1-2-1 meetings, close contact with line manager
enjoy the work, but sometimes work takes over the work/life balance
hardest part is travelling to other sites
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
career progression
Productive and well-established Laboratories
Lab Technician - Metal Refining (Current Employee) –  London15 July 2018
Productivity and accuracy are the two most important elements at Johnson Matthey laboratories. The company has the strong background in refining the valuable metals and has been developed in other areas such as pharmaceuticals.

The company’s Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) policies provide the guiding principles necessary to ensure
that high standards are achieved at all sites around the world.

Overall, working in Johnson Matthey labs make me prepared to work with details while PPE and EHS always come first.
200 year old global company
Sector Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire4 July 2018
I had a good run here. Individual managers and departments have some good people who really care about the business and employees. Things have changed over the course of my time with the company - not all for the best.
Pros
close working relationships, travel, global experience
Cons
throwing out the baby with the bath water
Excellent Company
Engine Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Royston, Hertfordshire17 March 2018
Excellent Company - brilliant management and a pleasure to work for. I was immediately welcomed into the company and felt as though I became part of the team overnight.
Secure Job
Chemical Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Royston15 February 2018
Secure job, well paid above the average salary of the UK for an operator. Taken care of from a HSE point of view. Current years the management have taken shift/ operator moral to an all time low and people are now starting to look for work else were.
Pros
Salary/ Health Package/ Pension
Cons
Management/ Shift Pattern 2, 3
Can be a busy place to work with short manpower
Production Operative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh8 February 2018
Has changed over the years. Has lost that family feeling. Having worked here for over 20 years they have spent considerable money on investment. I believe more to be spent in the future
Pros
Bonus scheme very good
Cons
Shift work long hours
Team leader (Chemist) (Current Employee) –  Royston18 January 2018
Good benefits, good pension, free lunch (or allowance). Ability to work overtime. However some people could be hard to work with. Big company so able to apply for other internal jobs.
Not a great company at Swindon branch
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire18 December 2017
After working at JMFC Swindon for several years I found it increasingly frustrating.
They continually go through up and down periods. Making redundancies and then hiring lots of temps due to ramping up production again.
Management is focussed on numbers not quality.
A very fragmented workforce. Them and us mentality.
And a very high turnover of staff. out 100-120 staff only 40-50 remain during my time.
No work life balance at all. Continually told to change shifts at a weeks notice. With weekend working also.
Training seems to be down to whether your manager is having a good day. Not compulsory training as in other companies.

On a positive note, the pay is good with excellent benefits. If you can put up with the rest of the issues that is.
Subsidised canteen is good.
Shower facilities.
Bike wrack.
Pros
Pay, benefits, subsidised lunch, shower facilities.
Cons
High turnover of staff, fragmented workforce, company ethics
repetitive Job cycle
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Royston23 November 2017
packing and unloading the production line.
I learnt that lean, kaisens and saps wont be enough to able to keep a job in this company.
The hardest part of the job is being able to keep it.
the most enjoyable part of the job is not being used as a tool and not being bullied to do things that no other operator would do.
Pros
free coffee and tea
Cons
bullying is apparently accepted
Diverse and proactive company
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Royston, Hertfordshire21 November 2017
Very good place to work, although a big company team work is always on top of agenda.
Pensions scheme is very good, and also the share scheme is excellent, great benefits
Pros
Free dinners, share scheme, very good pension
Cons
Can be unsociable hours
Fun workplace
Admin Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Billingham, North Yorkshire24 August 2017
I had an admin apprenticeship, I had to complete admin tasks and book travel for executive managers. I learnt how to book travel according and gained a level 2 qualification.
Pros
Nice lunches
Cons
All round , a very professional company
Production operator (Former Employee) –  Enfield, Greater London10 August 2017
Fantastic company
Excellent facilities
Open door policy
share scheme
Working as a team
Health and safety standards
Free canteen
Working in hot conditions 45 Degrees plus.
Shower after work due to Platinum asthma
Best part of the job was knowing that you was playing your part
Pros
Good to work for a large company
Cons
They lapsed with the open door policy which was sad
Brilliant company to work for.
Research Scientist (Former Employee) –  Reading, UK2 July 2017
The company culture is great for creativity, there are many opportunities to move from one department to another which is great for people who like diverse responsibilities and tasks.
Productive and enjoyable
Toolmaker (Former Employee) –  Dundee City30 June 2017
Johnson matthey was an enjoyable place to work with pleasent and friendly staff. We worked well as a team and was able to work around family life with set working hours.
Good Company
SharePoint Analyst/Admin (Former Employee) –  Royston, Hertfordshire21 June 2017
Great Company and Great work environment to work

Pros
Free lunch, gym, generally friendly atmosphere in technology centre, potential to move around within the business

No Cons
Productive work place
Scientist, Electrochemistry (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire14 June 2017
Johnson Matthey is a leader in sustainable technologies. Many of the group's products enhance the quality of life of millions through their beneficial impact on life.
Friendly people, technically challenging, fast-paced
Product Development Chemist (Current Employee) –  Royston, UK8 June 2017
At my site, the work-force are good people, I get along well with my group and manager. The work is dynamic, fast-paced (sometimes overly demanding) and technically challenging. The salary could definitely be better considering the technical knowledge required and location, and I don't agree the advancement/promotion system.
Pros
Free lunches, good work/life balance, forward-thinking company
Cons
Salary, location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Johnson Matthey. Our community is ready to answer.

Johnson Matthey Reviews by Location