John Parker & Son Ltd Employee Reviews

Long hours, dirty, no washing facilities
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent29 May 2018
Have to work long hours in dirty environment breathing in fumes. Extreme temperature s either very hot or cold parts of the site open to elements. No maintened washing facilities ?no sick pay
Pros
Nine
Terrible place to work
Operative (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex24 March 2018
The worst management i have ever seen.Lots of errors and mistakes.No improve and development.Poor HR.Nights are terrible.this place will make you to hate being a cnc operator.Everyone is replaceable.Hard work won’t give you payrise.
Pros
Free tap water
Avoid like the plague
Driver (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent16 March 2018
If you are thinking of driving for parkers, Don't!
The Transport manager is an idiot
And the planners are a couple of morons who think it's funny to make your day as bad as possible
And wages are terrible
John Parker (Canterbury)
Warehouse Operative (Nights) (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent1 March 2018
Trust me DO NOT work here it is awful it's honestly like a prison camp. The pay is awful, the management don't care and ignore you, hr don't help just constantly palm you off and the boots they give you that you MUST wear are really badly uncomfortable my toes and feet were numb for days I even went to the doctors got a note to say that I couldn't wear them anymore as they were severely damaging my toes and feet and my manager still said I had to wear them. Honestly being unemployed is better then working here I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place is a con
Whatever you do its not good enough.
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Canterbury22 February 2018
Management is a joke from top to bottom with no direction and blame everything on the guy's at the bottom and don't take responsibility for there own miss management.
Pros
Cons
Long hours and bad managment
Terrible management. Loads of hours.
Hgv1 driver. (Former Employee) –  Shoreham by Sea, West Sussex1 December 2017
Worked there for 3 years. July 14/Aug 17. Made redundant which management fixed points system to get rid off me. They now can’t employ anyone
Management are terrible. Avoid at all costs
Any problems come about and it’s your fault.
Send you into London 65foot long.
If you have a family you won’t see much of them as your always at work.
Pros
Your not unemployed
Cons
Long hours. Horrible working conditions. Etc.
Nice place to work, poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent10 November 2017
Worked in the car dealership for a while. Had a brilliant team around us. Lack of management, being micro-managed from above and poor advertisement led to a poor place to be. They decided to make a few redundant on the 23rd of December then force others out. A good place to work for a while, ended up being a poor place with a lot of broken promises.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Poor management from above
Fast paced environment with a positive approach to development
Marketing Design Executive (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent18 August 2017
I have been working at John Parker & Son for just over 2 months now and am greatly enjoying it. It is a very encouraging environment to work in where no idea is a bad one. It has been made clear to me, multiple times, that if there is anything I wish to do from a personal development point of view they would be more than willing to help. The management team are all approachable and from day one everyone has been welcoming. There is plenty of work to do and so far it has been very varied, never a dull moment!
Pros
Flexible working. Development opportunities. Perkbox.
Cons
Modest salary.
Enjoyable place to work.
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent2 August 2017
My main tasks are answering incoming calls and making outgoing calls, developing a ledger of customers into regular spenders. Have learnt a lot of skills on the job, sales and negotiating , as well as more technical aspects like drawing interpretation and machine capabilities, in order to sell more effectively to customers.
The office atmosphere is a friendly one, we are always helping one another out if someone gets stuck with an issue or problem,this includes management, they are always on hand to help out and have an open door policy.
The hardest part of the day is sometimes time management as we are always so busy and making sure we get all the tasks done by the end of the day sometimes takes a bit of juggling.
Prospects are good for movement within the company, I have seen many people move up the ranks in my time here and I am proud to be a part of this well established, progressive company.
Pros
Prospects, training /skills
Great Place to Work
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent17 July 2017
The company is a great place to work. John Parker and Son is a great place to innovate and develop new ideas. Career development is a vital part of the organisation
nice place to work
Transport Planner (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent5 June 2017
it is a nice place to work the mangers are all ok as you can speak to them about anything which I think is good and they can be flexible we you my need the time
Stuck in the 1980's
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent2 June 2017
A typical day at work is an excessive workload, little cooperation between departments resulting in delays and errors to delay other tasks, equipment malfunction due to a 1980's developed system, aniquated computers and associated accessories some of which will completely shut down due to cold or moisture that they are exposed to - even if it is in another department there will be something that they are working on for you and it will then hold up your day and stress from those above who expect you to find solutions to problems that are not yours.

In general the management do not coordinate effectively and workplace relations suffer due to a lack of cohesion that this causes between departments.

The salary can be reasonable for the position that they advertise but you may find that you are working excess hours with an excess workload that negates this quite often.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Long hours, terrible staff relations
hard work
Transport Clerk (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent10 May 2017
trying to sort out the urgent request from the run of the mill orders

trying to plan what might happen to what actual wil happen 6 hours later

waiting on other departments to complete there side of the job before we can actually do anything

the frustration of having to sit there and see it go wrong

getting it right and getting there on time
Pros
good fun when it goes right
Cons
long hours dirty enviroment
Good Company
Plant Hire Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent9 March 2017
I deliver hire equipment, as well as maintain and service equipment. I deal with and speak to customers on a daily basis.
I have gained my professional licence whilst working here
Fast Paced Sales Environment
Telesales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Canterbury, Kent27 June 2014
Very fast paced, target related environment. Large scale telesales department and customer service team.
could be a good place to work, current upper management lets it down
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Shoreham, ENG24 October 2013
long 12 hour shifts. day shift and night shift work pattern 4 on 4 of.
plenty of training on a lot of different plant and machinery.
good bunch of guys on 4 shifts.
lots of pressure to reach target figures.
constant break downs.
still an enjoyable place to work.
Pros
modern plant and machinery
Cons
4 on 4 of day/night shift rota

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Parker & Son Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7