John Lewis Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Aftersales (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 April 2018
The team I worked with were lovely.
Everything else is standard.
The management leave you to your job as they don’t really know what there doing. This can be hard when you need support.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay
Work life
department store sales associate (Current Employee) –  Rustington6 April 2018
A good place to work, everyone is friendly and takes pride in what they do.
Respected company very lots of benefits and days out to do with your peers and for the family.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a lot of staff on shop floor sometimes
Very good employer to work for.
John Lewis Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton5 April 2018
Very good employer to work for. As with most retail jobs staff levels are going down but work load is going up. However the harder you work the better pay you get. Discount and benefits are very good. Trying to progress is a struggle.
Pros
good discount and benifits
Cons
progression opportunities is poor
Decent place to work
Sales assistant over the Christmas period (Former Employee) –  Reading4 April 2018
I worked as a Christmas temp. I was doing 2 10hr shifts per week on an 8 week contract. It was a pleasant environment to work in, everyone in my department was very welcoming and the managers were decent, although the obviously expected you to be hard working and constantly helping customers. I really like the company as a whole I think they do genuinely care about the wellbeing/ happiness of their employees
Pros
Food subsidies and staff discount after 3 months.
Cons
A dated outlook with everything tied up in red tape
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester3 April 2018
The salary is minimum wage although the partner discount is good. Partners are not reward in their salary for long service. There is no interest in flexible working and the management style is very dated.
productive partnership
Selling Partner/Partner voice rep (Current Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I have learned a great deal while working for the partnership, I have enjoyed my time working for john lewis, I have met some lovely people and have picked up many many life skills over the years.
Pros
family feeling different and unique to the rest of the retail stores out there
Cons
long hours and weekends
Great Team Spirit
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire2 April 2018
Working as a Partner at JL you quickly realise it is a very unique working environment, especially for retail. They have a brilliant support structure for many social factors and always do their best to provide benefits through activities and discounts that range from a huge amount of suppliers thanks to John Lewis's wide ranging network.
Pros
Subsidised Lunches
Cons
Retail work isn't for everyone
productivity and good environment for devloping skills
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire1 April 2018
Was a very good experience that contributed for my personal development. I was introduced to a company that considers all members as a family so, it feels very comfortable to start.
Excellent Company
Stock Controller (Current Employee) –  London1 April 2018
One of the best companies to work for. Very compassionate, easy going, good holidays and decent pay. Management and colleagues are very easy to get along with.
great place
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire28 March 2018
great management, I loved my job here no day as the same and they give you proper training. I loved working no the phones and dealing with the customer queries and complaints
Good
Driver mates (Former Employee) –  Over28 March 2018
Not much I can say part from I enjoyed the experience and it was good working with my mate ..good place to work it could be hard from time to time due to heavy lifting ..........................................................
ok
fun
people
hard
challenge
do not include confidential company
No longer the company Spedan Lewis expected
Complex administration assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater23 March 2018
I loved my job and colleagues within our Branch. The job can be varied and you do have the opportunity to move around within the sales floor as and when vacancies arise. Sadly it is no longer the company where you could devote yourself to and being a partner means nothing nowadays. The company is going through some questionable reorganisation and it is having an impact on existing sales and partners.

I would still recommend it as a place to work, a great place to learn, just go in with eyes open.
Pros
good holiday, good pay, great benfits, annual profit bonus, sick pay, pension
Cons
no real flexible working options.
Never hired.
Applicant for JLP Partnership (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
I spend an entire 1/5 hour to finish the application and online test, walked 3 miles to the interview. But instead they have outsourced WCN recruitment tool that picks keywords and hires only three candidates a time. This company promises equal opportunities but doesn't live to the word for equal opportunity, merit, knowledge or talent. Yet sad fact they used my energy and hope and the decision was no-hire. From that point I got disappointed with John Lewis. I would have added great professional outcome here, I would buy into the company and join its Partnership, and understood the economics of the company culture. I was a customer in the past but no longer. Rivals M&S, HoF, and Debs will be my choice now.

Now they have to deal with employees with lower hostile mindset. It's the loss for John Lewis if they disregard me. If you offer benefits or Finance to your partners and none of the assets are used by employees, renders useless. Demand is low enough in our economy. John Lewis lost on a valuable person.
Cons
No hire decision
Amazing culture, however lacking in structure
IT Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Victoria22 March 2018
John Lewis are an incredible Company to work for in terms of the way they treat their staff. Non-aggressive manner and people do matter. However, the downfall of this is that where everyone has a say, it causes complications, delays and a lack of organisational structure, which creates chaos. A huge shame.
Great
Catering Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport21 March 2018
Good working environment
Friendly team
Excellent benefits and bonus
Can get extremely busy during sales and Christmas period
Regular customers you build good relations with
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Can get extremely busy during sales
Excellent
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 March 2018
The John Lewis Partnership treats all its employees excellently, and welfare is constantly on the minds of those in higher positions in the company. I would recommend this job to someone wanting to gain experience in the world of retail and customer service
Busy workplace
Stock Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Northampton20 March 2018
Northampton, Grange park - very busy site, very strict policy. Big canteen and smoking area. Management is very polite, they see whats good in people, which is leading to advances.
Pros
Big canteen
Cons
Long hours.
Assembly line
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire20 March 2018
Good staff to work with company was very polite. The work that had to be done was easy wasnt hard once shown what and where items had to go. John lewis was a good company to work for
Pros
Lunch time
Cons
Shifts
The place to be
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street16 March 2018
John Lewis and Waitrose is just the best company Britain has to offer, you must try one of the two and get it onto your CV. Every company will be welcoming you in open hands. The salary is sweet, the benefits is sweet, the environment is cool and the family culture is the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.