John Lewis Employee Reviews

Standard Retail
Key Holder/Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waitrose24 September 2017
The Waitrose division of the John Lewis partnership is standard retail like any other supermarket. The staff are friendly and the work always gets done.
Pros
Annual Bonus
Cons
Management Restructuring
Not as good as they make out to be
Snr sales/estimator (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands24 September 2017
I worked nearly four and half years with this company and although I enjoyed my job I had the impression that I was never valued. I was employed as a sales consultant estimator at the local J L store I had over thirty years in my chosen profession working and installing many varied floor coverings in the uk and overseas in all previous vocations . My line managers never acknowledged this experience I was never offered any promotion only had one appraisal the whole time I worked there, and was only paid bonus once in that time,my criticism of working practices fell on deaf ears. I was tasked with training other partners who had no practical experience whatsoever in the flooring trade, after only one days training I was given the task of trialling out a new computer planning system used in the field whilst visiting J L customers in their homes, when the new system didn't deliver what was promised, i was the scapegoat for its failings although I gave my manager feedback and advice of how things could be improved. I stayed on the same pay grade all the time I worked for them, never received overtime pay, and I was left feeling totally alone if things went wrong, and felt like I had committed a criminal act if I spoke out of turn. In all when I left it was very bitter, and an experience I wouldn't recommend. When I joined the J L family I was told that as a partner in a very successful growing business it would be almost like being self employed but with a lot more perks. The reality however was long hours working late well into the evening's throughout the working week catching  more... up on paperwork to present for the customers quotations the following day. Managers got away with murder many were totally superficial and frequently under performed, however the sales floor staff, and general workers were over worked having poor or no backup but otherwise they were a great bunch of people.
I found J L management lacking in human skills inept at handling staff decently I found them totally arrogant with an air of smugness,.supposing all members to be equal partners in the John Lewis set up but as I found some partners had more equality than others. Not a place I would work again or recommend people too, in short a very bitter experience ,i don't shop at the store or at the local Waitrose.
Pros
Good partner's dining facilities
Cons
Too many managers, no back up, if face fits mentality, good at putting the knife in.
its fun based on who you meet and work with but...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  waitrose23 September 2017
changes are afoot at partnership, youre basicallyt made to work at any and every section yet pay hasnt gone up in 4 years. so many department changes, i could hardly keep up
Pros
great discounts, extremely varied, food, holidays, concerts, theme parks; special partnership and guests only days(think thorpe park, no cues)
Cons
lack of care from managers unless late despite them knowing you finish at 3 but still there 4.30
Lovely place
Training (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear21 September 2017
Lovely friendly staff and always on hand to help they always sell great products and great variety with great prices, I enjoyed working the counters and interacting with the customer, it gave me a feeling of satisfaction.
Brilliant Working Environment
Selling Partner (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City20 September 2017
John Lewis is an amazing company to work for, the staff and ethos of the company completely shine through. As I started working there at 16, I think growing with the company has also been very rewarding as the company culture has rubbed off a lot on me, and the way in which I speak too and communicate in day to day life.
Pros
Good pay and fringe benefits
friendly workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool20 September 2017
Typical day on customer support-dealing with customer queries, gift wrapping. Management was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed most of the job however however sometimes it was very quiet in the section that I worked in.
A fun and interesting place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge20 September 2017
A job which enables you to work with people from all walks of life and improve you communication skills. John Lewis recognise staff who work hard and are willing to go out of their way to give customers the best service and experience.
Decent
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 September 2017
The Partnership doesn't know how good its Partners are. It lacks self-confidence and takes too much advice from external consultants when it should be listening to its Partners. It needs to invest in its Partners and set them free from the processes that stifle agility.
good job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 September 2017
overall best job. good environment .good management , best workplace culture .best team work and delivered good customer service. good salary.best job
Pros
yearly bonus
Cons
no con
Good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Putney16 September 2017
• Delivering excellent customer service by working flexibly as part of a team.
• Ensuring that stock is replenished and displayed to required standards.
• Carrying out housekeeping activities and handling cash and card transactions according to set procedures.
Pros
Good balance
Great Place to Work
Branch Operations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex14 September 2017
The Co-Owenership culture is very unique, there are lots of opportunities to get involved in Democracy and go on secondments if you are willing to travel to other branches. The hours are very long and expectations are high for the pay that is offered.
Depends on your boss
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands14 September 2017
Generally positive and met loads of great people but it's a company with a real identity crisis. With many of the fringe benefits being eroded it's becoming just like any other corporate entity.
Fun and loving workplace!
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Nottingham13 September 2017
Super fun to have work experience at John Lewis as everyone was very welcoming and lovely! I felt right at home! The store was lovely and I couldn't of asked for a better experience:)
Great staff
Beauty Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 September 2017
Very satisfying workplace.
Good atmosphere. Great customer service.
Excellent canteen. John Lewis look after their staff very well.

The hardest part was going home!!!!!
Pros
Customer service
Cons
Not enough security
John Lewis is a good comoany to work for if you only care about the salary.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bury, Greater Manchester9 September 2017
overall good pay, but workplace respect was only given if you are a manager. customers seemed to get more and more entitled by the day and became unbearable.
Worst Job Ever
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Didsbury, Greater Manchester6 September 2017
Don't believe the hype, they're a terrible company who don't care for their 'Partners@ (pfft) at all. They promise lots and miss to deliver at every turn. Useless.
Pros
I left
Cons
I took the job in the first place
Very good
Packer (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire6 September 2017
There was a very nice place ,with nice people. I working like packer there. It's a nice place. I stay there 1 year and like there . My friend's still work there .
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London6 September 2017
Very enjoyable, I enjoyed going into work every morning as I felt like part of a family. The best place I have worked at. Only downfall was the salary and scope for promotion.
Good work place
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Stevenage5 September 2017
I really like working at John Lewis as the people was fun to work with and we worked as a team. I use to do picking and packing and loading up the vans in dispatch and I loved doing it as I was doing different things
Pros
Discount
Cons
Night shift
meh
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 September 2017
decent experience
good food service
good chance to progress if you work hard
you can move department if you choose to
location in Westfield is good
Pros
good food
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2