John Lewis Employee Reviews

excellent
Customer Delivery and installation Driver (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 May 2018
Great place to work , excellent work life balance and thee pay is not bad overall. John Lewis have there own way of doing things which is not always the best but once you get used to there ways things just fall into place.
Pros
Great Staff and conditions, part lunch repaid, staff discounts, 4 day week.
Cons
None really just need to get used to the John Lewis ways.
Positive learning experience
Selling Partner (Former Employee) –  Leeds16 May 2018
John Lewis is known for being an excellent partnership and company to work for, I agree to a certain extent as I enjoyed my time working in the show department and being able to switch to different departments when needed.
The management team were all newly promoted and, at times, hard to work for due to strict rules they implemented e.g. no swapping shifts. Because of a long term illness I have, which the company knew about from the start, I had more than three days off sick during my time there. This reflected badly on me when applying for a permanent contract and when offered a permanent role I was given too many hours which would take priority over my studies. I was not given any alternatives or support for my studies or illness. I was also given two different end dates so when I did not turn up for a shift I did not know about I was given a warning.
Pros
Good experience and friendly colleagues
Cons
Unorganised management team, not given the support I needed
Great Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea16 May 2018
One of my favourite places to work. Kind and helpful managers and colleagues. Everyone is friendly and sympathetic. Only downside is that most of the work is heavy lifting or very monotonous work, however that is expecting in the industry and you start the role knowing this.
Pros
Loads of discounts, events/staff outings, friendly colleagues
Cons
the nature of the work can get quite boring, and lifting all day can prove strenuous
Excellent
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Park Royal Station13 May 2018
Very good company had good experience good co works worked there for a long time .I enjoyed working there very much manager and supervisor are helpful
Pros
Non
Cons
Lots of benefits
Professinal work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester13 May 2018
Working at John lewis was great the team were hard working and friendly. All departments were really well ran. I enjoyed it but it sadly wasn't for me.
Unprofessional behaviour
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire12 May 2018
Very unprofessional behaviour by hr personnel
During recruitment interview process
Laughing giggling during test by john lewis personnel staff
I found it unpleasant how the staff cary on with thier childish behaviour
Pros
Established company but senior staff are ill mannered
Cons
Poor pay and unfriendly management
Job was fine, but management poor.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire10 May 2018
I was brought in as a sales assistant over the peak period at Christmas, along with around 30 other people. The job was pleasant, mostly quiet except for a few days around black friday and between Christmas and New Year.
Mainly spent time on the till, helping customers and keeping the store replenished, although performed an annual stock take at the end of the contract.
Often management didn't know where we were assigned on certain days or took a long time to respond to queries.
The main complaint I have is that we were assured that if we worked hard there would be jobs for the majority of people brought in, a statement echoed by every employee in the store, however in the last week of the contract (too late for our notice to be given) we were told that none of us would be able to stay on.
Cons
Often late finishes
Warehouse parts record orders (Former Employee) –  UK9 May 2018
Good communication well organize peoples team work and supports work loads in hard time overloads well organise team work and good security support.You can meet different of peoples
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
9 Hrs
Great Place to Work
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London UK8 May 2018
No day was ever the same. I would meet different customers with different remarks.

learn how to multitask as sometime I would have to work different section at the same time;this may because of staff shortages.

Each week there was different menu which I would need to learn to ensure that I had a good understanding of what I am preparing and serving. This made my role interesting as I was always doing something new.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bonus
Amazing
Stockroom/sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent8 May 2018
worked here years ago for my work experience. As a young school student those tasked with looking after me did absolutely everything to make me feel comfortable
Long hours and not very professional management
Inventory Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff7 May 2018
Would rather not. trains running to and from cardiff were a nightmare and were constantly making me late of course the management said that was my fault.
Productive and Fun Work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith London4 May 2018
The company helped me cater my skills and handle customers with professionally. It was a very good workplace because of its being diverse which allows our day-to-day job enjoyable.
very caring company good management flexibility is allowed regarding working days
Catering Assistant and Waitress (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside4 May 2018
excellent company to work for very caring managers very flexible working rotas lots of
benefits good discount plenty.of opportunities to improve yourself within the company
Pros
good leisure benefits
Demanding but Fair
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2018
Targets were always upper most in your daily work. Work colleagues were very professional. I learned customer service at John Lewis and use these valuable skills on a daily basis.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
poor pay and progression opportunities
pretty bad overall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent26 April 2018
a very poorly managed company, nearly impossible to book off holiday and they offer bad shifts and strange hours. The managers seem robotic and unless you want to progress within the company as a full time career you are almost looked down upon, each task is treated like your life depends on it and it is way to systematic for a welcoming customer experience, and talking of customers, for some reason only the snobbiest out of touch with reality OAPs visit the store.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
poorly managed
A Great company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London26 April 2018
Unfortunately the office had to close down due to cut backs which involved possible redundancy. I had to move on rapidly due to a newly arranged mortgages.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Very poor salary
The york branch operates on a tiny crew so the branch manager gets praised for his profits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York22 April 2018
Yes you read that right. When I started with John Lewis there was plenty of staff and plenty of happy customers. When I left because my Dr signed me off due to the stress of the job, my department had less than a quarter of the staff it originally had.
Staff shortages were due to staff leaving and the new branch manager not replacing them so he could look like he was saving tonnes of money.
One big shop and no staff walking around because there's only enough to be on the tills and fitting rooms means a lot of mad customers ranting at them because they can't find anyone to help them.
The air con was absolutely rubbish in the summer.
The shop only has Windows at the front so staff suffer from a lack of natural light.
You have to work as a manager for a year but not on a manager wage before you are considered for a promotion. That also requires a lot of brown nosing.
The branch manager makes the department managers literally do laps in circles of the shop floor. It's laughable. Managers stepped down or left and I don't blame them.
Pros
The bonus. Thats it.
Cons
Rubbish air con, brown nosing for career progression, long hours stood at tills or fitting rooms, no natural light, no music, abusive customers
not worth it
Driver/Installer (Current Employee) –  narnia22 April 2018
management are useless fools who dont support you in the job or manage the team well, morale is low and they are constantly adding pressure and pushing for more despite performing well in all areas when it comes to regional stats
fun work place
ppt picker (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire21 April 2018
Whilst being a fun job driving a PPT truck all day it is a really productive job teaching you patterns within yourself to make the day flow. Also a job that requires a lot of focus!
Pros
driving a ppt truck
Cons
feel like a robot
good team
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton20 April 2018
While working at warehouse for the John Lewis company I enjoyed the hours I was given and was surrounded by friendly staff members.Respected company very lots of benefits and days out to do with your family

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.