John Lewis Employee Reviews

Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent6 March 2018
A great company to work for who look after all Partners within the Partnership. No two days are ever the same as you will be helping different people everyday and working with a variety of Partners. There are great development opportunities available should you wish to pursue a career in management/retail.
Good for some time
Sales Consultan, Admin Agent (Former Employee) –  London6 March 2018
John Lewis looks good for customers.And it has good reputation which lately become very fragile.
JLewis is suited to work for the upper management and directors very well , not for the average sales assitant or stock room assistant.
salarys do not reflect your hard work.
I guess if you own a house then youll probably cover the bills and don't mind working there ,if you are paying rent and support familly it is tough.
Fake democracy culture and environment.Otherwise good for socialising if that is your thing.
Avoid
Pros
Good People
Cons
Low salary, fake democracy
Good Company to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 March 2018
I enjoyed working for John Lewis. I coached and trained colleagues to do a good job. It had good benefits and perks..The people were friendly. I learned a lot about Customer Service..
Pros
Yearly Bonus
Excellent, fun and friendly
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire5 March 2018
Had a great time working here as a Christmas Temp! Everyone was amazing and there was a great sense of community and teamwork amongst all of those working there.
Application operations technical analyst ITL3 (Former Employee) –  London victoria and Carlisle.5 March 2018
Usually 35 hours per week full time.
Some jobs have a call out rota, especially the operations side.
Normally well informed, good atmosphere to work in.
Main office has dining room on site and has a bar area for after work.
Hardest part of the job for me was the travelling to different sites.
Good package which includes yearly bonus.
New starters will find it hard as the pension scheme has radically changed over the last 5 years or so.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Sometimes too many meetings
Good steady workplace
SALES ASSISTANT PETER JONES (Current Employee) –  Sloane Square1 March 2018
The Partnership makes John Lewis a really interesting place to work because you get your say on many company decisions. The democracy is excellent.
However the company is changing currently and I don't know how this will effect management in the future. Current management needs some work as there is little communication between the different management levels, leading to micromanaging on the shop floor. The managers workload is increasing which can lead to stress in departments.

Ultimately the Partnership will be around for a very long time, and Partners get excellent benefits and everyone is treated like equals, so it's a nice place to work. Staff are all really friendly and it's easy to get drawn into the atmosphere and find your own place.
Progression into other roles is difficult but there is an apprentice scheme.

It is still a retail job. Yes it is market-leading in its pay rates and Pay for Performance is a good scheme, but the pay is still not good. You can barely live on the salary in London.
Pros
Co-ownership and Partnership
Cons
Poor pay
Fun and vibrant place to work with great benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom1 March 2018
John Lewis offers some of the best employee benefits you can imagine, there is always discounts at other stores and other activities going on. The business is always progressing and constantly training staff so they are always getting better.
Lead Technical Analyst & Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  London27 February 2018
John Lewis has a reputation for being one of the best places to work in the UK and with good reason. This is a fantastic place to work with some incredible people. The perks are not bad either, my favourite being the Partner dining area.
Pros
People and the ethos
Cons
Making decisions takes longer in a Partnership
Friendly environment, good prospects for advancement
Cashier Waitrose (Former Employee) –  Marlborough25 February 2018
Cashier's job. Attention to detail required. Open and Friendly disposition required and is very much an important part of the Company's attitude towards our customers. Learned unending patience and again, attention to detail got sharper. Hardest part of job was keeping an even temperament. Most enjoyable when customer was happy and pleased with service.
Pros
the majority of customers were a pleasure to serve.
Cons
Physically can be draining
great place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Erskine, Renfrewshire23 February 2018
dealing with customers on a daily basis can be a challenge but working in a great company with great training and support makes it much better to do your job and enjoy your day
Pros
training
You learn new skills and is good for interacting with the public
Catering Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Watford22 February 2018
In this job you can learn new skills. At John Lewis customer service is very important and they are considered partners. We are pushed to be able to do the best job possible and create a pleasant environment for both the partners and the staff. The management could be improved in terms of organisation however our management has a genuine interest in our wellbeing. In this job i've learnt a lot of social skills and it has helped me to be able to work in a team successfully. A typical day at work will be making coffees, serving food and cleaning, it's sometimes stressful but its good overall.
Pros
Free lunches and good holiday time
Cons
Sometimes poor management
Core Home Services is a shambles.
Aftersales (Current Employee) –  Didsbury, Greater Manchester20 February 2018
I am working within the new Core Home Services department which has recently been centralised from all of the branches, and it has been a shambles from the beginning. Training was poor, patchy and dull and was poorly organised from the beginning. Horrible working environment, management do not communicate with staff and we are kind of just left to fend for ourselves.

Whoever is in charge of the restructuring of Core Home Services should lose their job. Customer orders are being forgotten about and the transition is moving too fast as you have not hired enough staff to handle the huge workload that is about to come in, and you just expect us to smile and get on with it. Horrible job - I dread coming to work every single day!
Pros
The company benefits are second to none.
Cons
Incompetent management, lots of old blood in the business who are unwilling to listen to new ideas, staff feel demoralised every single day and are not listened to.
A challenging work enviroment
Non Management Partner (Current Employee) –  Tamworth20 February 2018
A fun place to work that has had a variety of career opportunities. The business is undergoing strategic difficulties at present which is making the job challenging.
relaxed place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Birmingham19 February 2018
i enjoyed my time working at john lewis distribution centre, it was fast paced and a challenge but an enjoyable one all the same, targets were easily met and the management team were good and helpful
enjoyable
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London17 February 2018
my experience at john lewis has allowed me to develop a professional realation with customers.Helping customers with any inquries such as looking for an iteam or helping out at the till was very excited and fun.
Very productive
Drivers Mate (Former Employee) –  Innova park14 February 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday and me being there, willing and able to be a helping hand to them for anything they need/want and ensure they are highly satisfied with our customer service. And, also receiving wonderful customer feedback.

The other most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about your role and further (i.e. management). It helps broaden your horizon and gain more experience.
Pros
Flexible workkng hours
Friendly atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 February 2018
Customer service is highly focused so everyone there is helpful and kind, made me feel accepted from first to last day and helped with any enquiries I had.
Great Benefits, Not so great work life
N/A (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands12 February 2018
Overall working at John Lewis has been a good experience, I have learned some valuable lessons and met some wonderful people. The benefits, discounts and pension scheme for JL are all worth treasuring. in my job role however there is no room for expansion. I quickly became very bored of my job role, wasn't challenged and very quickly became complacent. I ended up looking for other tasks to do from other peoples job roles. The management to be honest is pretty shocking. Many of them do not have the common sense to manage a team let alone push sales. That as a young woman trying to start a career path found that very disheartening. I would recommend this job role for people who would either be young and studying, or close to retiring.
Pros
benefits, schemes
Cons
rubbish management
Friendly and supportive company
Stock Management Partner (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 February 2018
A typical day in John Lewis as a Stock Management partner would start with us would unloading the morning trailer which has our stock for the day, then we would cages to the correct floors and work the on those floors. throughout the day we would be between our stockroom and the shop floor replenishing the area that need a fill. We would also deal with any customer questions while on the shop floor and help them in whatever way possible we could. There are also hand held computer checks that we would also need to carry out and also maintain a tidy and workable stockroom.

I have learnt how to be better organised person and achieved target within a allotted time scale. Also customer service is key to the role as future business depends on customer satisfaction. I have learnt to work as part of a big team and also work on my own initiative. Time management and attendance is vital for completion of daily tasks.

Management within my working environment are supportive and understanding of my role and duties I need to cary out. I find them and fair and easy to communicate with.

I find the workplace culture to be very friendly but at the the same time professional. We are all treated with respect and trusted to carry out the tasks at hand.

Working within time restraints can be very challenging due to the volume of stock we handle day to day.

The community sprint of the company where everyone is made to feel equal in there job roles.
Pros
Great people, Caring Company
Cons
High Volume of stock
Fun Workplace
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon12 February 2018
John Lewis is a good company to work for - However I did not work directly for John Lewis, I was working for Sitel and John Lewis was their client, Very good job.