John Lewis Employee Reviews

busy full on days
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston Upon Thames3 January 2018
enjoy working here as it very friendly place reason for leave being made redundant we have customers calling in on a daily basis asking about orders and taking payment. dealing with complaints
benefits
Cons
open 7 days a week
Hardworking
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent2 January 2018
Working in their cafe area, it was always hectic and busy. Like most workplaces, it was under-staffed. With just a couple more staff, the place would have ran a lot smoother. Enjoyed the work and the fellow employees, although some managers were, well, managers.
Good company
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire1 January 2018
Has been a good company to work for, for the past 22 years. Great work life balance.
I have enjoyed working for John Lewis I have had lots of opportunities to develop.
benefits
Fun
Delivery and installation (Former Employee) –  Surrey30 December 2017
Depending on what shift you were on depended on family life. Now the hours and shift pattern has changed it will not appeal to everyone. Was a good laugh though.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Stupid hours
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London28 December 2017
I was hired on a temp basis for the Christmas period. the Permanent staff are very lazy and do not like working.
during the introduction that we was all told we would be treated the same as permanent staff however this was not the case.

Managers fail to notice the hard work temp staff do, they pretty much do all the work. I was on ground floor and the heating was not working which meant we where freezing.
My line manager took three days to introduce herself which i found very rude and unprofessional.
Its ok for permanent staff to sit around and do nothing but talk however if they see a temp staff just standing for about two minutes we get told off.
Pros
Cheap food for lunch
Cons
Long hours, not much to do, canteen food is repetitive
Customer Service Supervisor and Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waitrose food & home Canary Wharf27 December 2017
The John Lewis Partnership is a great place to work and there are many benefits. You are not just an employee, you are a partner and also get a bonus every year. I have leant many skills and experienced so much from my time here. I have improved and become a more confident person overall. It is a happy place to work. Making customers happy makes it all worth while, I think that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Poor management and shattered expectations
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 December 2017
I Joined John Lewis Birmingham we had three weeks worth of training which was fantastic I couldnt have asked for a better experience , before the store had opened with ‘partners’ who had worked for stores across the country. When the store was open the Birmingham branch has a self service style and none of the food was made fresh on store. The shift where long, tiring, you would often struggle to have you break. You spend most the day on your feet and having long shift, you lose out on your social life and family life due to the little time you get. Once you got into the catering work flow it was okay it will has busy periods and very very quite.The section manger has poor attitude and was more focused on they own progression than they own. The duty of care as my health deterated and they seems to get work. The excuse where your ‘partner’ your an employee who may get a bonus in May, if you state opinions they will not be valued. Beware of work they Manger’s have they favourites and they is a lot of work politics, but the discount aren’t to bad and some of the benefits are good.
Pros
Looks good on Cv
Cons
Bad management too many hours and a lot of work drama
No longer a partnership
Selling assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester19 December 2017
I have been working pt at John Lewis for 8 months and was very excited to get a position here, but that excitement soon faded once reality hit in.
Training was minimal- expected to hit the ground running on day 1 and point of sale training didn't address the actual issues that come up on a daily basis.
Cost cutting has seen the "subsidised" food in the partners dining room change to quick and easy re-heatable snacks, as a means of reducing the cost of employing proper cooks, so better to bring your own.
Section managers don't actually manage anything as now having to take on additional responsibilities that were once the remit of the operational managers and staff turnover is increasing for both selling assistants and section managers.
Have witnessed extreme laziness from some partners who go out of their way to avoid having to work on the tills or cash up at the end of the night- people who have been there years claiming no experience as never done it before!.
Equally have had some great support, especially from the younger members of staff- students working part-time who have gone out of their way to help me and show me the various processes. Oh- John Lewis refer to this as the buddy system, which is basically having someone doing the job show you what to do due to the poor level of organised training. BTW this only works if the "buddy" has the same shift patterns otherwise new partner feels abandoned.
Selling assistants expected to manage customer complaints, advise customers on products, process orders, chase up stock, organise displays, and often go out and deliver
  more... products in person- all for a few pence more than the minimum wage.
We're told to chase every customer, with no concern that not every customer wants to be chased and can have the opposite effect and actually drive people away. Let us use our skills to assess when a customer is ready to have a conversation with us.
Also we can't go out and drag customers into our section and force them to buy an item- surely its the role of the marketing dept to attract customers, but as everything is centralised there isn't much that partners can do locally to draw and incentivise customers.
We're told that we have an investment in the business as a partner but frankly is no different to any other company and as an engagement tactic is wearing thin and easy to see for what it really is- an excuse for expecting people to do more, for less. And of course the annual "bonus" is a % of annual salary so the higher ups on executive salaries get more than the staff at the coalface actually bringing in the sales, earning close to the living wage.
Management takes no account of the voice from the shop floor, and service levels are falling as a result. They are losing sight of what once made John Lewis great and its rapidly becoming just another high street department store with nothing to differentiate it.
I will always be thankful to the company for giving me a job when I needed the income, but frankly hoping to move out of retail asap as its a thankless job with no appreciation from either customers or management.
Pros
Partnership discount, associated discounts
Cons
Low rates of pay, minimal training
Learnt a lot but hard work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire18 December 2017
I had a great experience working at John Lewis. Even though it was only as a Christmas temp, I learnt a lot through this role as it enabled me to talk to customer on a one to one bases and allowed me to become more confident in myself. I felt this was a great job for me at the time, and felt that it is a good starter job for those who are just getting into the work industry. I felt the staff were extremely friendly, even though I was only there for a couple of months, I felt part of the teams. The hardest part of the job for me was having to stand or walking around the store for the period of time that I worked and not being able to sit down until break.
Pros
cheap lunches and great help from staff
Happy Employee
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex13 December 2017
Amazing company to work for who genuinely care about their staff and customers and do business in a different and positive way when compared to similar organisations.
Pros
discounted food, partner benefits, discount etc
Cons
I have to commute
Good crews and managers
Customer Delivery Technician (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 December 2017
As above but beyond that, it's like any other place. All political and pushing to save money at every chance. Usually the drivers who do the most are the worst hit
Pros
John Lewis Partner
Cons
Not very good hours
Work Experince
Salesman (Former Employee) –  North West London, Greater London29 November 2017
A very well organised company who clearly value their staff. Very polite to each other irrespective of anything that may be occurring. An overall pleasant experonce and a chance to see what it’s like to have a time in an actual workplace.
Pros
Lunch Vouchers
Leading Retail environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester29 November 2017
A typical day involves the leadership of the managers and staff in my areas of responsibility to ensure the aims of the business are met. These are the traditional retail KPIs of sales, profit, shrinkage and customer service. In addition the co ownership structure of John Lewis means that Partners (staff) can hold every level of management to account for the way they run the business. This makes the levels of engagement within the business high, producing a stronger business. It also helps ensure decisions are in the long term interests of the business.
Pros
Very competive pay, pension and other benefits
Cons
Long hours, late nights, weekend and holiday working
Great working atmosphere
Resourcing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bracknell27 November 2017
Great working atmosphere, good people, friendly management. Pay is not that good and also if you would like to apply for a permanent role it's not that easy.
Pros
Cheap lunches great atmosphere
Cons
Pay is ok but could be better
Pleasent company to work for.
Inbound Agent (Former Employee) –  Glasgow27 November 2017
Enjoyed my time there. I worked in many departments progressing within my time. Friendly people and friendly staff. Would highly recommend this position,
Good Place to Work
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 November 2017
This is a good place to work, The pay is not the best the other benefits are very good.
The discount and the pension are good. Along with subsidised outing, meals, and lots of other places .
Excellent place to work
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 November 2017
The culture is very strong and supportive, training is excellent and co-workers are supportive. Employees stay for a long time, good benefits and bonus offered.
Great experience
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire23 November 2017
A great employer to work for as they treat all of their staff with respect. They were very welcoming and offered plenty of training. Fantastic environment to work in.
High Quality and Fast paced
SELLING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 November 2017
Constantly on your feet, and you need to be able maintain professionalism at all times, you also would need to be able to help whenever you can and try to outdo yourself if you have to, go the extra mile.
Variable
Furnishing Fabrics Workroom Administrator (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London21 November 2017
A typical day at work consists of dealing with complaints where jobs have gone wrong. I have learned that every personality is different and have to deal with these in certain ways. The management are very supportive within the role I do and also on a personal level. The workplace culture is varied and again you have to learn to deal with different personalities in different ways.

The hardest part of the job is trying to calm a customer down when their job has gone wrong and to ensure that to put this right is done in the minimum time possible. Unfortunately these jobs can go wrong again and again and this ends up with customers being compensated for the time and inconvenience.

As my role is dealing with complaints it is always nice to end up being able to discuss issues with the irate customer in a much calmer way and you end up with a 1-1 relationship with these people who show their appreciation in emails, verbally and sometimes small gifts. Being the one that has put the job right and getting the customer's faith back in the Business makes the job worth doing.
Pros
Discount, ticket subsidy, leisure benefits
Cons
Working in a 7 day a week business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2