John Lewis Employee Reviews

Temporary Christmas Job (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire10 June 2018
Long hours, one short break, can be enjoyable when around others, meet new people. Most enjoyable when with others, hardest part of the job would be when there isn't anything to do.
Hours were okay, personally prefer the morning shift as it is a better atmosphere and social able hours.
Pros
good pay
Cons
can become boring when there isnt anything to do
Great place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 June 2018
John Lewis is a great place to work. Well managed and run and staff treated well. You are a Partner in the business, therefore it is your business and for this you are expected to take responsibility and look after the customer well.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Late evening working.
poor management , amazing salary and benefits
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire6 June 2018
Very tiring and hard job but the benefits are exceptional with a great salary and good discounts. 2/3 of the managers failed to work well with the fast paced environment.
John lewis awful place
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh5 June 2018
Where do i start,

the myth that your a co owner, is just that a myth

the place is run by bafoons,

over the years, i rarely worked with fellow colleague,instead we go random agency, these varied from convicited paedophiles, drug addicts and alcoholics,to people who have stabbed several people.

horrible place, and horrible culture of awarding the bad people and punishing the goods workers.

only good thing is the wages
Pros
wages
Cons
long hours, forced overtime, poor management
Productive and caring workspace
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Each day in the morning the staff meet at their space on the shop floor and have a discussion on their goals for that day. All staff at John Lewis at Brent Cross were very friendly and were happy to help me get started. I was given a tour of my department and met all the staff of the specific department.
Pros
Staff Canteen
workplace culture
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Watford5 June 2018
Best part of working for John Lewis is the culture at the company. They have an almost government set up within the branches with branch councils etc that speak directly to the bosses on behalf of the workers. This allows for great communication and means that most changes to company have to voted on by the workers themselves. This creates a great working atmosphere.
Pros
Great Staff Culture
Cons
Pay is quite low
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Usually quite busy, management was great; the managers were very understanding and helpful. The staff were great fun, bubbly and really dependable.

The only downside of working there was the condescending, pretentious, patronizing customers.
Fun workplace
Temporary Beauty Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City4 June 2018
- lively and energetic atmosphere
- customer focused environment
- friendly staff
- rewarding job
- help always at hand with colleagues
- there's always tasks to do
Pros
long lunch breaks
Cons
can be very busy at times
interesting experience for first full time job
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City3 June 2018
Working as a shop floor selling assistant you experience working in a team with other partners supporting various departments. I found it stimulating interacting with customers and learning about new and exiting products on the job. This was my first proper full time job. I am looking for a new challenge in my career.
Pros
developing my interpersonal skills
Cons
working most weekends and all bank holidays
The best place to work within Retail in the UK
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  York3 June 2018
John Lewis is a company which is renowned for Trust, Quality and Service to its customers.

Staff, or Partners, are treated exceptionally well by the company, which owns a number of holiday locations around the UK - just one of the benefits working for a co-owned business. The other benefit does not need too much of an introduction, but the qualification of a yearly bonus depending on business performance is also high up on the list of benefits.

John Lewis has not stayed still - it is continuously developing and aiming to move forward to meet current market conditions. Commercially it challenges you to think differently, putting customers at the heart of Service decisions, whilst also balancing the impact on Partners.
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  London/Bracknell2 June 2018
A fun loving diverse environment that people can blend very easily but the salaries are not so great!.....................................................
A good place to work
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Finchley Road1 June 2018
Waitrose is a fairly good place to work. Job culture is very good. There's a lot of flexibility in regards to your working hours. The salary is also great for a retailer assuming you can perform reasonably well.
Outstanding employee development and benefits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire29 May 2018
Offers an exceptional array of benefits to the employee ensuring the work is always rewarded appropriately. Makes efforts to develop you as an employee with good training and clear development plans.
A wonderful place to develop as an employee
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wantage, Oxfordshire28 May 2018
The strong emphasis at John Lewis and Waitrose on employees, who are known as partners, makes this a wonderful environment to enter the workplace. I learnt a great many new skills and met a lot of wonderful people, built my confidence and felt supported in growing as a person.
Although I received some strange requests and difficult customers at times, in general I felt supported to give customers the best experience possible.
Pros
cheap lunch options in the dining room, bonus opportunities, overtime opportunities
Cons
on the counters it can be hard to find someone to cover your shift
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent28 May 2018
Pay is very good, bonus every year. If it wasnt for the unsociable hours i would continue working here. Didn't enjoy having to work every weekend.....
Appreciate what you have got
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London27 May 2018
I loved my time at John Lewis, they were incredibly supportive, encouraged development, had great benefits and it was a nice environment. It has changed a lot recently and time will tell if these changes are for the better. Many of the people who complain about the company have never worked anywhere else and so I don't think they fully appreciate the benefits and security they have.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bonus has taken a hit in recent years
Enjoyable and Invaluable experience being a 'guest' partner
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Cambridge27 May 2018
In my work experience weeks I was encouraged to try a variety of tasks in Departments such as: Visual Merchantising, Menswear, Womenswear and Accessories which included Handbags and Ladies Shoes. Visual Merchantising was my favourite section as I tapped into my art background which enabled me to express myself and every day was different. This along with Ladies shoes which was also good made me realise that I value being part of a team.
Pros
Variety of work and team spirit
Did not Enjoy one bit
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon27 May 2018
The job itself was okay. It required a lot of learning as it took about 25 systems to run each day and navigate without fault.
But the job, and the customers, caused me a lot of mental health issues.
Supertmarket Assistant
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wimborne24 May 2018
Whilst working at Waitrose, I made many friends with the team, it is a great place to work with many advantages for the partners regarding discounts and offers. However there is definitely limited holidays.
Pros
partner benefits
Cons
Hard to get holidays
Productive and tough
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Exeter23 May 2018
Dealt with clients’ issues in a professional manner
• Tackled escalations from displeased clients
• Dealt with transactions and refunds
• Quickly and accurately entered client details and call information into a complex system

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.