John Lewis Pay & Benefits reviews

Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London19 April 2018
I worked at John Lewis in Oxford Street. Also, I was a Christmas temporary which I was working as a selling assistant in the kid’s toys department and the kid’s clothing department. My responsibilities included: being polite to customer and restocking products and answering any enquiries that the customers had and helping behind the tills and making sure that the products were in the right place. My salary was £8.75 an hour, I work 20 hours a week.
good company to work for, compared to some out there
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  North West19 April 2018
Have got more savy over the years but still care about the people who work for them. Having now worked for other employers can see the benefits of working for John Lewis and the employee welfare side.
Pros
employee well being
Cons
You believe that you are a partner and have a voice when you actually dont.
Good company to work for
selling assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon17 April 2018
The company has its benefits.. however it is like in all retail jobs if your face fits you will progress. Lots of social events to get involved in. And lovely people the store. The pay is not great and you will have to really prove yourself if you want a raise each year. For the amount of work you produce in a day the pay isn't great.
Cons
Working every weekend if part time
Well run, enjoyable, stimulating
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston Surrey16 April 2018
Every day was different - customer complaints, personnel issues, project management, sales and profit focus. Most enjoyable part was staff development and empowerment. Most difficult was occasional mismatch of unreasonable customer expectations
Pros
Profit bonus, shopping discount, pension scheme, leisure benefits
Cons
Weekend and evening working
Productive and Fun Place
Delivering quality customer service (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 April 2018
Typical Day at work - Joyous
Learning Abilities - Conversational Pieces
Management - Boistrous
Workplace Culture - Strict and Domineering
Hardest Job was the ionline nterface with Customers
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Short Breaks
Nice place to work
Aftersales (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 April 2018
The team I worked with were lovely.
Everything else is standard.
The management leave you to your job as they don’t really know what there doing. This can be hard when you need support.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay
Work life
department store sales associate (Current Employee) –  Rustington6 April 2018
A good place to work, everyone is friendly and takes pride in what they do.
Respected company very lots of benefits and days out to do with your peers and for the family.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a lot of staff on shop floor sometimes
Decent place to work
Sales assistant over the Christmas period (Former Employee) –  Reading4 April 2018
I worked as a Christmas temp. I was doing 2 10hr shifts per week on an 8 week contract. It was a pleasant environment to work in, everyone in my department was very welcoming and the managers were decent, although the obviously expected you to be hard working and constantly helping customers. I really like the company as a whole I think they do genuinely care about the wellbeing/ happiness of their employees
Pros
Food subsidies and staff discount after 3 months.
Cons
A dated outlook with everything tied up in red tape
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester3 April 2018
The salary is minimum wage although the partner discount is good. Partners are not reward in their salary for long service. There is no interest in flexible working and the management style is very dated.
Great Team Spirit
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire2 April 2018
Working as a Partner at JL you quickly realise it is a very unique working environment, especially for retail. They have a brilliant support structure for many social factors and always do their best to provide benefits through activities and discounts that range from a huge amount of suppliers thanks to John Lewis's wide ranging network.
Pros
Subsidised Lunches
Cons
Retail work isn't for everyone

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
Excellent Company
Stock Controller (Current Employee) –  London1 April 2018
One of the best companies to work for. Very compassionate, easy going, good holidays and decent pay. Management and colleagues are very easy to get along with.
Good
Driver mates (Former Employee) –  Over28 March 2018
Not much I can say part from I enjoyed the experience and it was good working with my mate ..good place to work it could be hard from time to time due to heavy lifting ..........................................................
Never hired.
Applicant for JLP Partnership (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
I spend an entire 1/5 hour to finish the application and online test, walked 3 miles to the interview. But instead they have outsourced WCN recruitment tool that picks keywords and hires only three candidates a time. This company promises equal opportunities but doesn't live to the word for equal opportunity, merit, knowledge or talent. Yet sad fact they used my energy and hope and the decision was no-hire. From that point I got disappointed with John Lewis. I would have added great professional outcome here, I would buy into the company and join its Partnership, and understood the economics of the company culture. I was a customer in the past but no longer. Rivals M&S, HoF, and Debs will be my choice now.

Now they have to deal with employees with lower hostile mindset. It's the loss for John Lewis if they disregard me. If you offer benefits or Finance to your partners and none of the assets are used by employees, renders useless. Demand is low enough in our economy. John Lewis lost on a valuable person.
Cons
No hire decision
Great
Catering Assistant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Stockport21 March 2018
Good working environment
Friendly team
Excellent benefits and bonus
Can get extremely busy during sales and Christmas period
Regular customers you build good relations with
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Can get extremely busy during sales
The place to be
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street16 March 2018
John Lewis and Waitrose is just the best company Britain has to offer, you must try one of the two and get it onto your CV. Every company will be welcoming you in open hands. The salary is sweet, the benefits is sweet, the environment is cool and the family culture is the best.
Fast paced retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent14 March 2018
Working at John Lewis is fast paced but the colleagues are friendly and help you to learn new skills quickly. In addition the company provides many benefits such as free event tickets and holiday clubs.
Don't believe everything you read
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent13 March 2018
typical day is serving customers depending what department you're on, retail can be a very challenging job due to customers and management, working in the team is fantastic feels like a second family, hardest part of the job is bad customers, most enjoyable part is your team.
Pros
25% John Lewis discount and also benefits at loads of different stores and restaurants, good leisure benefits as well, spa hotels at discounted rates, uniform cards, good pension if you use it, annual bonus
Cons
minimum wage pay, unsociable hours, on your feet all day, depending on department can be quite intense and a lot of physical work
Good for some time
Sales Consultan, Admin Agent (Former Employee) –  London6 March 2018
John Lewis looks good for customers.And it has good reputation which lately become very fragile.
JLewis is suited to work for the upper management and directors very well , not for the average sales assitant or stock room assistant.
salarys do not reflect your hard work.
I guess if you own a house then youll probably cover the bills and don't mind working there ,if you are paying rent and support familly it is tough.
Fake democracy culture and environment.Otherwise good for socialising if that is your thing.
Avoid
Pros
Good People
Cons
Low salary, fake democracy
Good Company to work for
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire5 March 2018
I enjoyed working for John Lewis. I coached and trained colleagues to do a good job. It had good benefits and perks..The people were friendly. I learned a lot about Customer Service..
Pros
Yearly Bonus
Application operations technical analyst ITL3 (Former Employee) –  London victoria and Carlisle.5 March 2018
Usually 35 hours per week full time.
Some jobs have a call out rota, especially the operations side.
Normally well informed, good atmosphere to work in.
Main office has dining room on site and has a bar area for after work.
Hardest part of the job for me was the travelling to different sites.
Good package which includes yearly bonus.
New starters will find it hard as the pension scheme has radically changed over the last 5 years or so.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Sometimes too many meetings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.