John Lewis Pay & Benefits reviews

Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester19 January 2018
Great place to work with a friendly and happy working environment, long hours but the pay is more then suitable and justify the long days at work. Great company
Pros
Staff parties woo
Great company
Head of Organisation Development & New Format (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2018
The Partnership is a unique place to work, with strong a culture of sharing knowledge and power.
The benefits are pretty extensive, and include the use of hotels and leisure facilities owned by the Partnership, discount, good pension, health insurance and company bonus.
You will be expected to get involved in the democracy, which is the forum by which Partners ( employees) get a voice in how the company is run. Relationships in JLP are very important.
The company is very fair and focuses on engagement and flexibility for the company and the individual.
Decision making can be slow.
Pros
really family feel to the business, routed in a strong culture
Cons
salaries are not the highest, but benefits are good if you use them
Good, fair place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent17 January 2018
A good engaging job, benefits are fantastic even if the hourly rate is a little lower than other retailers. They are flexible on working hours to a point however, not brilliant if you have commitments which may change when you are available.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low hourly wage
Productive and fun workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London13 January 2018
Enjoyable
Great team
All work together
Great fun
Best management
Awesome canteen!
Food prices for lunch amazing
Help each other
Wonderful benefits
Would love to go back but as management lol..
Pros
Amazing workplace!
Great Place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bagshot, Surrey12 January 2018
Very busy very full on
Exciting meeting different people - customers
Fun building rapour with customers
Great benefits
work hard play hard
many shifts to choose from plenty of overtime
rewards for working Sundays
Taking the rough with the smooth always going to have difficult cutsomers
Rewarding when compliments fed back to management
Top management very supportive
Lots variety - if you are willing to learn new skills
I work on Customer Service
on the Welcome desk
On the tills
Supervise staff
Supervise the Self Check out tills
Serve on podi - tobacco cigarettes and lottery tickets
Pros
Yearly Bonus depending on profit
Cons
Can be long shifts and week end working
Work Exp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London11 January 2018
I was only here for two weeks so didn't really get to see the bad side if there's any. Meals on shift was a good range of food. Staff was lovely always willing to teach you.
Christmas temp
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire8 January 2018
Got taken on for a few months after leaving university. Fairly standard job serving tea and coffee to shoppers in the store cafe. Was a minimum wage position but full time on a rolling three week rota meant I took home a decent pay packet at the time. I had my contact extended for an additional month, but poor timing with the 2008 financial crash meant that a permanent position was unavailable.
Pros
Good atmosphere, brilliant canteen, friendly colleagues
Cons
Minimum wage, only a temporary position
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 January 2018
Really enjoyed the few months I worked there. I would recommend. To begin with staff there were really friendly and easy to get along with. Good pay and easy to pick up extra hours.
Best in retail
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 January 2018
5 stars, selling and customer service focused lots of opportunities to develop as well as great benefits, they have a dedicated website for partners and on top the yearly bonus and pay rise is goo
busy full on days
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston Upon Thames3 January 2018
enjoy working here as it very friendly place reason for leave being made redundant we have customers calling in on a daily basis asking about orders and taking payment. dealing with complaints
benefits
Cons
open 7 days a week
Good company
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire1 January 2018
Has been a good company to work for, for the past 22 years. Great work life balance.
I have enjoyed working for John Lewis I have had lots of opportunities to develop.
benefits
Customer Service Supervisor and Finance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waitrose food & home Canary Wharf27 December 2017
The John Lewis Partnership is a great place to work and there are many benefits. You are not just an employee, you are a partner and also get a bonus every year. I have leant many skills and experienced so much from my time here. I have improved and become a more confident person overall. It is a happy place to work. Making customers happy makes it all worth while, I think that's the most enjoyable part of the job.
Poor management and shattered expectations
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 December 2017
I Joined John Lewis Birmingham we had three weeks worth of training which was fantastic I couldnt have asked for a better experience , before the store had opened with ‘partners’ who had worked for stores across the country. When the store was open the Birmingham branch has a self service style and none of the food was made fresh on store. The shift where long, tiring, you would often struggle to have you break. You spend most the day on your feet and having long shift, you lose out on your social life and family life due to the little time you get. Once you got into the catering work flow it was okay it will has busy periods and very very quite.The section manger has poor attitude and was more focused on they own progression than they own. The duty of care as my health deterated and they seems to get work. The excuse where your ‘partner’ your an employee who may get a bonus in May, if you state opinions they will not be valued. Beware of work they Manger’s have they favourites and they is a lot of work politics, but the discount aren’t to bad and some of the benefits are good.
Pros
Looks good on Cv
Cons
Bad management too many hours and a lot of work drama
No longer a partnership
Selling assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester19 December 2017
I have been working pt at John Lewis for 8 months and was very excited to get a position here, but that excitement soon faded once reality hit in.
Training was minimal- expected to hit the ground running on day 1 and point of sale training didn't address the actual issues that come up on a daily basis.
Cost cutting has seen the "subsidised" food in the partners dining room change to quick and easy re-heatable snacks, as a means of reducing the cost of employing proper cooks, so better to bring your own.
Section managers don't actually manage anything as now having to take on additional responsibilities that were once the remit of the operational managers and staff turnover is increasing for both selling assistants and section managers.
Have witnessed extreme laziness from some partners who go out of their way to avoid having to work on the tills or cash up at the end of the night- people who have been there years claiming no experience as never done it before!.
Equally have had some great support, especially from the younger members of staff- students working part-time who have gone out of their way to help me and show me the various processes. Oh- John Lewis refer to this as the buddy system, which is basically having someone doing the job show you what to do due to the poor level of organised training. BTW this only works if the "buddy" has the same shift patterns otherwise new partner feels abandoned.
Selling assistants expected to manage customer complaints, advise customers on products, process orders, chase up stock, organise displays, and often go out and deliver
  more... products in person- all for a few pence more than the minimum wage.
We're told to chase every customer, with no concern that not every customer wants to be chased and can have the opposite effect and actually drive people away. Let us use our skills to assess when a customer is ready to have a conversation with us.
Also we can't go out and drag customers into our section and force them to buy an item- surely its the role of the marketing dept to attract customers, but as everything is centralised there isn't much that partners can do locally to draw and incentivise customers.
We're told that we have an investment in the business as a partner but frankly is no different to any other company and as an engagement tactic is wearing thin and easy to see for what it really is- an excuse for expecting people to do more, for less. And of course the annual "bonus" is a % of annual salary so the higher ups on executive salaries get more than the staff at the coalface actually bringing in the sales, earning close to the living wage.
Management takes no account of the voice from the shop floor, and service levels are falling as a result. They are losing sight of what once made John Lewis great and its rapidly becoming just another high street department store with nothing to differentiate it.
I will always be thankful to the company for giving me a job when I needed the income, but frankly hoping to move out of retail asap as its a thankless job with no appreciation from either customers or management.
Pros
Partnership discount, associated discounts
Cons
Low rates of pay, minimal training
Happy Employee
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex13 December 2017
Amazing company to work for who genuinely care about their staff and customers and do business in a different and positive way when compared to similar organisations.
Pros
discounted food, partner benefits, discount etc
Cons
I have to commute
Good crews and managers
Customer Delivery Technician (Former Employee) –  Sheffield10 December 2017
As above but beyond that, it's like any other place. All political and pushing to save money at every chance. Usually the drivers who do the most are the worst hit
Pros
John Lewis Partner
Cons
Not very good hours
Leading Retail environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester29 November 2017
A typical day involves the leadership of the managers and staff in my areas of responsibility to ensure the aims of the business are met. These are the traditional retail KPIs of sales, profit, shrinkage and customer service. In addition the co ownership structure of John Lewis means that Partners (staff) can hold every level of management to account for the way they run the business. This makes the levels of engagement within the business high, producing a stronger business. It also helps ensure decisions are in the long term interests of the business.
Pros
Very competive pay, pension and other benefits
Cons
Long hours, late nights, weekend and holiday working
Great working atmosphere
Resourcing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bracknell27 November 2017
Great working atmosphere, good people, friendly management. Pay is not that good and also if you would like to apply for a permanent role it's not that easy.
Pros
Cheap lunches great atmosphere
Cons
Pay is ok but could be better
Good Place to Work
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 November 2017
This is a good place to work, The pay is not the best the other benefits are very good.
The discount and the pension are good. Along with subsidised outing, meals, and lots of other places .
Excellent place to work
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff24 November 2017
The culture is very strong and supportive, training is excellent and co-workers are supportive. Employees stay for a long time, good benefits and bonus offered.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2