John Lewis Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Good, fair place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent17 January 2018
A good engaging job, benefits are fantastic even if the hourly rate is a little lower than other retailers. They are flexible on working hours to a point however, not brilliant if you have commitments which may change when you are available.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low hourly wage
Work Exp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London11 January 2018
I was only here for two weeks so didn't really get to see the bad side if there's any. Meals on shift was a good range of food. Staff was lovely always willing to teach you.
I enjoyed working at the men section because it showed me a lot of designs and also different type of fashion
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London8 January 2018
Working at John Lewis for work experience gave me a lot of skills and also helped me knowing how to work in retail and showed me different types of rolls in the business
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 January 2018
Really enjoyed the few months I worked there. I would recommend. To begin with staff there were really friendly and easy to get along with. Good pay and easy to pick up extra hours.
Best in retail
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 January 2018
5 stars, selling and customer service focused lots of opportunities to develop as well as great benefits, they have a dedicated website for partners and on top the yearly bonus and pay rise is goo
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London28 December 2017
I was hired on a temp basis for the Christmas period. the Permanent staff are very lazy and do not like working.
during the introduction that we was all told we would be treated the same as permanent staff however this was not the case.

Managers fail to notice the hard work temp staff do, they pretty much do all the work. I was on ground floor and the heating was not working which meant we where freezing.
My line manager took three days to introduce herself which i found very rude and unprofessional.
Its ok for permanent staff to sit around and do nothing but talk however if they see a temp staff just standing for about two minutes we get told off.
Pros
Cheap food for lunch
Cons
Long hours, not much to do, canteen food is repetitive
Learnt a lot but hard work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire18 December 2017
I had a great experience working at John Lewis. Even though it was only as a Christmas temp, I learnt a lot through this role as it enabled me to talk to customer on a one to one bases and allowed me to become more confident in myself. I felt this was a great job for me at the time, and felt that it is a good starter job for those who are just getting into the work industry. I felt the staff were extremely friendly, even though I was only there for a couple of months, I felt part of the teams. The hardest part of the job for me was having to stand or walking around the store for the period of time that I worked and not being able to sit down until break.
Pros
cheap lunches and great help from staff
Productive and Fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire10 November 2017
Great professional and supporting environment. Learn and develop key skills. Day to day entails customer service faced shop floor selling. Tasks may include workshops.
Great Job Security
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Norwich8 November 2017
Brilliant for people to get started into retail, work stays at work nothing to stress about at home. But not much in the way of progression, you can work up the ladder but one step forward is two steps back and will stop of progressional opportunities.

Best part is brilliant people work there that are fun and relaxed, worst bit like all retail is that it doesn't pay well.

Day to day will be putting stock out dealing with customers one to one, and standing on the till.
Pros
Great discount and holiday benefits.
Cons
low pay, no parking, not much progression.
the best job I've had
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire27 October 2017
I worked here part-time for a year whilst doing my A Level's, my manager was amazing and offered me a months paid study leave. Before working here I had never had a bonus, so the extra 6% was great. The hardest part of the job was definitely the difficult customers! The most enjoyable part was working in a large team who were all very supportive and kind.
Pros
Cheap food, Christmas Day and Boxing Day off
Cons
Long hours on a Saturday

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
Prodcutive and fun
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 October 2017
A great company to work for. Here you can learn a lot about yourself, which helps you when looking to move forward with any career. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't decided their next career path.
Best place ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 October 2017
Worked there during a hectic time (holidays) which got me really worried but turned out to be a lovely place with good people always there to help you out and that gives you respect. If someone has a job there never let it go as the places where I went afterwards were really awful.
Pros
Amazing canteen with really cheap meals, Fair and lovely staff
Cons
None as far as I worked there.
Enjoyable place to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich3 October 2017
Very professional and fair management, a nice place to work and friendly staff. Slightly repetitive jobs but nice atmosphere to work in. Not much over time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Repetitive jobs
Honest as possible
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  North England30 September 2017
As a sales person, it is the teams role to manage the department. Department Managers (Section Managers) tend to be Uni Grads or long term JL partners, have little to do with shop floor activities and concentrate on meetings and ensuring that floor standards are good. There are a few SMs that will help and assist with customers, but don't be surprised if they come to find you if a customer asks them anything.

The lack of support can be tricky, and there is little recognition given by managers. This is due to the integral everyone is a Partner, and it is all of our responsibility. Most of your training will be from partners you work with, so you'll learn the things you need quickly, but beware of picking up bad habits.

The people you work with make the job enjoyable, the work load is as minimal or complex as you want to make it.

Beware, when you join it will be at the minimal amount, pay rises are yearly, and you'll be looking at between 1%-2.5%. For sales assistant this puts you at just above Minimum Wage. Annual bonus is minimal for Level 9-10 Partners.
Pros
You can learn to manage departments, people. You don't get a title, but you'll gain experience.
Cons
Basic salary, lack of progression
its fun based on who you meet and work with but...
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  waitrose23 September 2017
changes are afoot at partnership, youre basicallyt made to work at any and every section yet pay hasnt gone up in 4 years. so many department changes, i could hardly keep up
Pros
great discounts, extremely varied, food, holidays, concerts, theme parks; special partnership and guests only days(think thorpe park, no cues)
Cons
lack of care from managers unless late despite them knowing you finish at 3 but still there 4.30
Good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Putney16 September 2017
• Delivering excellent customer service by working flexibly as part of a team.
• Ensuring that stock is replenished and displayed to required standards.
• Carrying out housekeeping activities and handling cash and card transactions according to set procedures.
Pros
Good balance
meh
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 September 2017
decent experience
good food service
good chance to progress if you work hard
you can move department if you choose to
location in Westfield is good
Pros
good food
Comfortable work/life balance
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 September 2017
excellent colleagues and management so far, in addition to a healthy bonus rate and added benefits offered to partners. I can recommend working for the partnership.
Great Benifits although Communication between the business is dreadful
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  stratford30 August 2017
Working for John Lewis has its ups and downs, best retail job by far however it is plagued by a lack of commication on almost every front leading to discontent and frustration on all levels of the partnership.

wide array of benifits and discounts do offset the majorty of the issues involved with retail although cannot fix the lack of progression for those who do not obtain the graduate scheme.
Pros
wide array of discounts/ offers
Cons
long unsociable hours, lack of career progression
The most enjoyable part of the job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London9 August 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everyday and me being there, willing and able to be a helping hand to them for anything they need/want and ensure they are highly satisfied with our customer service. And, also receiving wonderful customer feedback.

The other most enjoyable part of the job is learning more about your role and further (i.e. management). It helps broaden your horizon and gain more experience.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2