John Lewis Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

great employer
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
Great company, have been employed for over 3 years.

Great training and loads of benefits for partners. Highly recommend.

The application process is very legnthly.
Pros
partner discount and lots of benefits
Cons
late hours
Fun yet challenging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes14 July 2018
Working at John Lewis grew my confidence in the year that I worked there as well as enabling me to meet new people. Management was at times not great.
Pros
Good pay
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
The current direction of the business has no aim, as most of the older staff have left who were passionate about this company, the new staffs all do not care much where the business is heading, especially the young managers, who only care about the money and not the business.
active, engageable partnership, with a strong sense of belonging and personal (and communal in regards to the company) growth
Electrical Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent26 June 2018
I found the team ethos of john lewis engageable, giving me a sense of security necessary for developing my skills to the high level expectations of the company. I found myself becoming more independent as the weeks went on, the 'sense of security' that the team had initially provided, developing into a fully engageable and active entity to which I could efficiently contribute. This sense of personal and communal growth that I experienced at John Lewis has inspired me to pursue other retail, teamwork orientated roles.

I also enjoyed my relationships with customers, particularly once i had acquired the skills i needed to add personal recommendations and orders for them, it gave me a powerful sense of independence to be effectively working for these people and handling over their often expensive items.
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 June 2018
excellent place to work with amazing benefits would 10/10 recommend to anyone who is interested in working in sales and is just starting out. management are great
Pros
partner dining room
Cons
long shifts
Hard working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheadle18 June 2018
A typical day of work would consist of a quick team meeting in the morning to discuss sales targets and then moving onto the shop floor to meet customers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very busy
Great place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 June 2018
John Lewis is a great place to work. Well managed and run and staff treated well. You are a Partner in the business, therefore it is your business and for this you are expected to take responsibility and look after the customer well.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Late evening working.
Outstanding employee development and benefits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire29 May 2018
Offers an exceptional array of benefits to the employee ensuring the work is always rewarded appropriately. Makes efforts to develop you as an employee with good training and clear development plans.
Excellent
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent28 May 2018
Pay is very good, bonus every year. If it wasnt for the unsociable hours i would continue working here. Didn't enjoy having to work every weekend.....
Great business to work for
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading22 May 2018
This is the number one department store in the UK to work for. A really nice culture, everyones takes an interest in your life outside of work. Managers are all superb, always want the best for you and know the best way to run a team.
Pros
subsidised canteen
Cons
working on weekends
Great Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea16 May 2018
One of my favourite places to work. Kind and helpful managers and colleagues. Everyone is friendly and sympathetic. Only downside is that most of the work is heavy lifting or very monotonous work, however that is expecting in the industry and you start the role knowing this.
Pros
Loads of discounts, events/staff outings, friendly colleagues
Cons
the nature of the work can get quite boring, and lifting all day can prove strenuous
Professinal work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester13 May 2018
Working at John lewis was great the team were hard working and friendly. All departments were really well ran. I enjoyed it but it sadly wasn't for me.
Job was fine, but management poor.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire10 May 2018
I was brought in as a sales assistant over the peak period at Christmas, along with around 30 other people. The job was pleasant, mostly quiet except for a few days around black friday and between Christmas and New Year.
Mainly spent time on the till, helping customers and keeping the store replenished, although performed an annual stock take at the end of the contract.
Often management didn't know where we were assigned on certain days or took a long time to respond to queries.
The main complaint I have is that we were assured that if we worked hard there would be jobs for the majority of people brought in, a statement echoed by every employee in the store, however in the last week of the contract (too late for our notice to be given) we were told that none of us would be able to stay on.
Cons
Often late finishes
Demanding but Fair
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2018
Targets were always upper most in your daily work. Work colleagues were very professional. I learned customer service at John Lewis and use these valuable skills on a daily basis.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
poor pay and progression opportunities
pretty bad overall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent26 April 2018
a very poorly managed company, nearly impossible to book off holiday and they offer bad shifts and strange hours. The managers seem robotic and unless you want to progress within the company as a full time career you are almost looked down upon, each task is treated like your life depends on it and it is way to systematic for a welcoming customer experience, and talking of customers, for some reason only the snobbiest out of touch with reality OAPs visit the store.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
poorly managed
The york branch operates on a tiny crew so the branch manager gets praised for his profits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York22 April 2018
Yes you read that right. When I started with John Lewis there was plenty of staff and plenty of happy customers. When I left because my Dr signed me off due to the stress of the job, my department had less than a quarter of the staff it originally had.
Staff shortages were due to staff leaving and the new branch manager not replacing them so he could look like he was saving tonnes of money.
One big shop and no staff walking around because there's only enough to be on the tills and fitting rooms means a lot of mad customers ranting at them because they can't find anyone to help them.
The air con was absolutely rubbish in the summer.
The shop only has Windows at the front so staff suffer from a lack of natural light.
You have to work as a manager for a year but not on a manager wage before you are considered for a promotion. That also requires a lot of brown nosing.
The branch manager makes the department managers literally do laps in circles of the shop floor. It's laughable. Managers stepped down or left and I don't blame them.
Pros
The bonus. Thats it.
Cons
Rubbish air con, brown nosing for career progression, long hours stood at tills or fitting rooms, no natural light, no music, abusive customers
Good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe12 April 2018
good places to work, very busy, hones people skills and customer facing experience.Lots of interaction with customers and you meet lots of new people. Good practice for multitssking
Pros
Prestigious
Cons
Very busy
Not A Good Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 April 2018
I never liked the job overall, It was very much like school, very cliquey. People in higher places always looked out for their friends when it came to this work place.
Very good employer to work for.
John Lewis Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Southampton5 April 2018
Very good employer to work for. As with most retail jobs staff levels are going down but work load is going up. However the harder you work the better pay you get. Discount and benefits are very good. Trying to progress is a struggle.
Pros
good discount and benifits
Cons
progression opportunities is poor
Decent place to work
Sales assistant over the Christmas period (Former Employee) –  Reading4 April 2018
I worked as a Christmas temp. I was doing 2 10hr shifts per week on an 8 week contract. It was a pleasant environment to work in, everyone in my department was very welcoming and the managers were decent, although the obviously expected you to be hard working and constantly helping customers. I really like the company as a whole I think they do genuinely care about the wellbeing/ happiness of their employees
Pros
Food subsidies and staff discount after 3 months.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.