John Lewis Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

pretty bad overall
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent26 April 2018
a very poorly managed company, nearly impossible to book off holiday and they offer bad shifts and strange hours. The managers seem robotic and unless you want to progress within the company as a full time career you are almost looked down upon, each task is treated like your life depends on it and it is way to systematic for a welcoming customer experience, and talking of customers, for some reason only the snobbiest out of touch with reality OAPs visit the store.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
poorly managed
The york branch operates on a tiny crew so the branch manager gets praised for his profits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York22 April 2018
Yes you read that right. When I started with John Lewis there was plenty of staff and plenty of happy customers. When I left because my Dr signed me off due to the stress of the job, my department had less than a quarter of the staff it originally had.
Staff shortages were due to staff leaving and the new branch manager not replacing them so he could look like he was saving tonnes of money.
One big shop and no staff walking around because there's only enough to be on the tills and fitting rooms means a lot of mad customers ranting at them because they can't find anyone to help them.
The air con was absolutely rubbish in the summer.
The shop only has Windows at the front so staff suffer from a lack of natural light.
You have to work as a manager for a year but not on a manager wage before you are considered for a promotion. That also requires a lot of brown nosing.
The branch manager makes the department managers literally do laps in circles of the shop floor. It's laughable. Managers stepped down or left and I don't blame them.
Pros
The bonus. Thats it.
Cons
Rubbish air con, brown nosing for career progression, long hours stood at tills or fitting rooms, no natural light, no music, abusive customers
Good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe12 April 2018
good places to work, very busy, hones people skills and customer facing experience.Lots of interaction with customers and you meet lots of new people. Good practice for multitssking
Pros
Prestigious
Cons
Very busy
Not A Good Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 April 2018
I never liked the job overall, It was very much like school, very cliquey. People in higher places always looked out for their friends when it came to this work place.
Decent place to work
Sales assistant over the Christmas period (Former Employee) –  Reading4 April 2018
I worked as a Christmas temp. I was doing 2 10hr shifts per week on an 8 week contract. It was a pleasant environment to work in, everyone in my department was very welcoming and the managers were decent, although the obviously expected you to be hard working and constantly helping customers. I really like the company as a whole I think they do genuinely care about the wellbeing/ happiness of their employees
Pros
Food subsidies and staff discount after 3 months.
The place to be
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street16 March 2018
John Lewis and Waitrose is just the best company Britain has to offer, you must try one of the two and get it onto your CV. Every company will be welcoming you in open hands. The salary is sweet, the benefits is sweet, the environment is cool and the family culture is the best.
Fast paced retail
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent14 March 2018
Working at John Lewis is fast paced but the colleagues are friendly and help you to learn new skills quickly. In addition the company provides many benefits such as free event tickets and holiday clubs.
Don't believe everything you read
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent13 March 2018
typical day is serving customers depending what department you're on, retail can be a very challenging job due to customers and management, working in the team is fantastic feels like a second family, hardest part of the job is bad customers, most enjoyable part is your team.
Pros
25% John Lewis discount and also benefits at loads of different stores and restaurants, good leisure benefits as well, spa hotels at discounted rates, uniform cards, good pension if you use it, annual bonus
Cons
minimum wage pay, unsociable hours, on your feet all day, depending on department can be quite intense and a lot of physical work
Excellent, fun and friendly
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire5 March 2018
Had a great time working here as a Christmas Temp! Everyone was amazing and there was a great sense of community and teamwork amongst all of those working there.
Good steady workplace
SALES ASSISTANT PETER JONES (Current Employee) –  Sloane Square1 March 2018
The Partnership makes John Lewis a really interesting place to work because you get your say on many company decisions. The democracy is excellent.
However the company is changing currently and I don't know how this will effect management in the future. Current management needs some work as there is little communication between the different management levels, leading to micromanaging on the shop floor. The managers workload is increasing which can lead to stress in departments.

Ultimately the Partnership will be around for a very long time, and Partners get excellent benefits and everyone is treated like equals, so it's a nice place to work. Staff are all really friendly and it's easy to get drawn into the atmosphere and find your own place.
Progression into other roles is difficult but there is an apprentice scheme.

It is still a retail job. Yes it is market-leading in its pay rates and Pay for Performance is a good scheme, but the pay is still not good. You can barely live on the salary in London.
Pros
Co-ownership and Partnership
Cons
Poor pay
Fun and vibrant place to work with great benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle Upon Tyne, United Kingdom1 March 2018
John Lewis offers some of the best employee benefits you can imagine, there is always discounts at other stores and other activities going on. The business is always progressing and constantly training staff so they are always getting better.
enjoyable
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London17 February 2018
my experience at john lewis has allowed me to develop a professional realation with customers.Helping customers with any inquries such as looking for an iteam or helping out at the till was very excited and fun.
Friendly atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire13 February 2018
Customer service is highly focused so everyone there is helpful and kind, made me feel accepted from first to last day and helped with any enquiries I had.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent6 February 2018
Overall great place to work, good pay, bonus scheme. Management was helpful but could be improved. Work life great though as everyone is extremely social and pleasurable to work with.
Pros
Social
Cons
Lack of Flexibility
Interesting Place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol6 February 2018
John Lewis is a well known company throughout the United Kingdom. I was very exited to have an opportunity to work there. The pay is very good and the working system is fair. John Lewis have a range of different rewards for workers. On each floor of a department there are many section managers. In my experience working with John Lewis i was made to feel like a cog in a machine. Managers don't have time to discuss any issues you have and they make it difficult for you to approach them. I found this issue with more than 5 different managers. I understand that the way the system works means that management can be busy. The normal day starts 5 minutes before your shift to have a meeting with other workers to discuss the day and then go to to your designated till point and throughout the day you serve customers and give them advice on products, check stock, and move around the company putting stock back to it's original place.
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks.
Great colleagues
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 February 2018
Great place to develop your social skills as there was a lot of interaction with customers on my department, Although the management wasn't always great, colleagues were always approachable and willing to help when stuck. Great atmosphere and encouraged to learn new skills along the way. Pay was also very good as well. Also a great work ethic among colleagues.
Temporary Christmas Sales Assistant
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne31 January 2018
Working at John lewis was easy, as a Christmas temp i walked around making sure products were on display properly and helped customers out with their queries. The pay was good and most of the staff were friendly
Pros
Pay
Cons
The management left me to figure things out by myself immediately which was difficult
lovely and prodcutive place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent26 January 2018
I loved working at John Lewis I would constantly had work to do such as till work or helping customers on the floor. The managers were always there to help with any problems and the more experienced staff were always so welcoming.
Pros
Cheaper lunches
Cons
Being moved about
Kind of boring at times but rewarding job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 January 2018
Very focused on sales. I was told to approach the customer quite often and try to sell to them. This was uncomfortable at times as customers just want to be left alone most of the time unless they approach you.
Great people to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London21 January 2018
Physically hard
Excellent rewards
Learn new skills
Opinions and ideas not always valued
Paid for Physio when i injured my back
Arranged great staff outings
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hard to find good shifts