John Lewis Employee Reviews for Catering Assistant

You learn new skills and is good for interacting with the public
Catering Assistant (part time) (Current Employee) –  Watford22 February 2018
In this job you can learn new skills. At John Lewis customer service is very important and they are considered partners. We are pushed to be able to do the best job possible and create a pleasant environment for both the partners and the staff. The management could be improved in terms of organisation however our management has a genuine interest in our wellbeing. In this job i've learnt a lot of social skills and it has helped me to be able to work in a team successfully. A typical day at work will be making coffees, serving food and cleaning, it's sometimes stressful but its good overall.
Pros
Free lunches and good holiday time
Cons
Sometimes poor management
Hardworking
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent2 January 2018
Working in their cafe area, it was always hectic and busy. Like most workplaces, it was under-staffed. With just a couple more staff, the place would have ran a lot smoother. Enjoyed the work and the fellow employees, although some managers were, well, managers.
Poor management and shattered expectations
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 December 2017
I Joined John Lewis Birmingham we had three weeks worth of training which was fantastic I couldnt have asked for a better experience , before the store had opened with ‘partners’ who had worked for stores across the country. When the store was open the Birmingham branch has a self service style and none of the food was made fresh on store. The shift where long, tiring, you would often struggle to have you break. You spend most the day on your feet and having long shift, you lose out on your social life and family life due to the little time you get. Once you got into the catering work flow it was okay it will has busy periods and very very quite.The section manger has poor attitude and was more focused on they own progression than they own. The duty of care as my health deterated and they seems to get work. The excuse where your ‘partner’ your an employee who may get a bonus in May, if you state opinions they will not be valued. Beware of work they Manger’s have they favourites and they is a lot of work politics, but the discount aren’t to bad and some of the benefits are good.
Pros
Looks good on Cv
Cons
Bad management too many hours and a lot of work drama
Great experience
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire23 November 2017
A great employer to work for as they treat all of their staff with respect. They were very welcoming and offered plenty of training. Fantastic environment to work in.
Horrible staff, hard work, brainwashed
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 November 2017
Never been so glad to leave a place in my life. Some of the staff were awful ranging from rude and insulting to bullying. Work is very hard and it’s all about money. Using your initiative was deemed causing issue and being a non individual robotic worker the aim. A tanoy would tell you all about their sales progress in the morning as you trudged in and how much money they wanted to make. Felt like you were being brainwashed like Metropolis or 1984. Also very stuck up, middle class customers. AVOID.
Pros
Free lunch and discounts
Cons
Everything else!
Fantastic
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff27 October 2017
I worked in the catering department amount many other areas, its great its busy but its great, you get a bonus every year. your wage goes up every year if you work hard. cant fault it, exellent company to work for. I wish i never left.
Pros
catering get free food. bonus
Cons
retail
Fun
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol26 September 2017
a good place to work i would say it was a perfect stepping stone for me to help provide me with money for my summer and experience for my future jobs. As a student this was a good place to work for me.
Pros
free meals
Cons
time for time hours
Professional
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 August 2017
Very professional business that makes you feel at home as well as very important while working. Its a very nice environment to work in, the staff are great.
Your typical sales assistant job
Newbury Part-time Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury, Berkshire16 July 2017
Your typical sales assistant job, you get what's on the tin really. I guess the salary is quite competative for this sort of job and the staff was very nice at the branch I worked at.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Understaffed
Excellent Work
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cardiff23 May 2017
Excellent working environment with a supportive management and close knit team, however sometimes management couldn't challenge other members of the team in appropriate situations.
You don't know what you've got until it's gone..
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire8 May 2017
Spent 3 years working for John Lewis and you really don't know how good you've got it until it's gone. The pay was exceptional, the benefits never ending, including leisure opportunities, branch holidays, and various discounts for a whole load of companies.

Towards the end of my time at John Lewis, staff numbers were cut the annual bonus kept falling and less and less pay rises given out but every company are trying to make money as and where they can so I can't see this as being the companies issue.

Obviously progression routes are there if you're keen to go into retail management (which I wasn't). It's also pretty easy to transfer departments/branches if you fancy a change.

Very friendly atmosphere amongst partners, everybody seemed to know each other and it was very easy to make friends and get to know people that worked in other depts.

Overall a bloody excellent company and if I could go back and do it all again, I would!
Pros
Pay, discounts, friendly family feel to the company
Cons
Lack of progression other then retail management
Lack of staff
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City2 May 2017
Working here has its perks however there are many times when we are left short staffed due to managers giving too many people holidays at the same time or people being hired on strange contracted hours.
Fun to work, management shambles
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh21 April 2017
Enjoyed my time, though lack of communication between managers led to confusion and difficulties for partners. Many partners are set in their ways after years of doing things a certain way which leads to confusion when learning, as you are often told different things.
Friendly Staff
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Welwyn Garden City, UK9 April 2017
Good job for student, good benefits. The work can be fun and it's nice working in a team. Developed team working and communication skills. Secure and enjoyable work.
This is business which uphold a reputation of treating employees very well.
Sales & Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Trafford, UK31 March 2017
A typical day to describe at John Lewis is that you would inform the manager that you are present and as soon as you walk in, there would be a set of tasks that each individual employee is set to carry out as efficiently as possible. Until business becomes busy, every staff is required to work as whole otherwise customer service quality would fall and the customers would be left dissatisfied. I learned from John Lewis that working as a team is crucial in order to meet customer needs and to carry out tasks as efficiently as possible. the hardest part of the job was that it was pretty easy to fall behind everyone else; therefore staff are required to keep on top of their tasks to maintain the balance between oneself and your team. The enjoyable part of the job was meeting different characters and working with them as a team. Also, the thrilling part was the competition with other staff members. this competitive edge helped stimulate your work and service to achieve the best results.
Pros
High Salary, 30% employee discount, free coffee when on a break, little breaks during your shift.
Cons
Work load is high
Great company
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire11 February 2017
Many perks look after stuff extremely well
sociable hours. Management very supportive and help with progression. However recruitment process is very long winde
Pros
lunch breaks and benefits
Cons
salary
friendly place to work
catering asistant (Former Employee) –  Reading2 February 2017
clearing customers tables stocking up on cutlery childrens counter condinents serving sandwiches salads hot drinks and working on patiserri counter it got very very busy every day the management was very understanding and friendly hardest part of the job was wwhen it got very busy and the most enjoyable thing was everything for me
Pros
discount in store
It's fine
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bluewater22 January 2017
John Lewis is a great employer. I have worked there for a year now, and it has provided me with a lot of support. Nevertheless, I have established that the catering position is not right for me, so I am looking for a change.
productive
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norwich City Centre, Norfolk14 January 2017
it was a good working environment with good management staff and good work coleagues also it had a good working atmosphere and also it was near and handy for me as as I live locally and so it was ideal for me, however the money was good and could have done with more hours
Pros
free lunches
Cons
temp
working benefits
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear13 December 2016
The benefits of working for John Lewis are what separates John Lewis from any other retailer. The bonus i received each year really made me feel appreciated in the company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.