John Lewis Employee Reviews for Assistant

Positive work plaxe
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London8 January 2018
Amazing first job helps with independence.a everyone their helps each other out with day to day tasks and really push you to You maximum to reach their goal
Pros
Good hours
No longer a partnership
Selling assistant (Current Employee) –  Greater Manchester19 December 2017
I have been working pt at John Lewis for 8 months and was very excited to get a position here, but that excitement soon faded once reality hit in.
Training was minimal- expected to hit the ground running on day 1 and point of sale training didn't address the actual issues that come up on a daily basis.
Cost cutting has seen the "subsidised" food in the partners dining room change to quick and easy re-heatable snacks, as a means of reducing the cost of employing proper cooks, so better to bring your own.
Section managers don't actually manage anything as now having to take on additional responsibilities that were once the remit of the operational managers and staff turnover is increasing for both selling assistants and section managers.
Have witnessed extreme laziness from some partners who go out of their way to avoid having to work on the tills or cash up at the end of the night- people who have been there years claiming no experience as never done it before!.
Equally have had some great support, especially from the younger members of staff- students working part-time who have gone out of their way to help me and show me the various processes. Oh- John Lewis refer to this as the buddy system, which is basically having someone doing the job show you what to do due to the poor level of organised training. BTW this only works if the "buddy" has the same shift patterns otherwise new partner feels abandoned.
Selling assistants expected to manage customer complaints, advise customers on products, process orders, chase up stock, organise displays, and often go out and deliver
  more... products in person- all for a few pence more than the minimum wage.
We're told to chase every customer, with no concern that not every customer wants to be chased and can have the opposite effect and actually drive people away. Let us use our skills to assess when a customer is ready to have a conversation with us.
Also we can't go out and drag customers into our section and force them to buy an item- surely its the role of the marketing dept to attract customers, but as everything is centralised there isn't much that partners can do locally to draw and incentivise customers.
We're told that we have an investment in the business as a partner but frankly is no different to any other company and as an engagement tactic is wearing thin and easy to see for what it really is- an excuse for expecting people to do more, for less. And of course the annual "bonus" is a % of annual salary so the higher ups on executive salaries get more than the staff at the coalface actually bringing in the sales, earning close to the living wage.
Management takes no account of the voice from the shop floor, and service levels are falling as a result. They are losing sight of what once made John Lewis great and its rapidly becoming just another high street department store with nothing to differentiate it.
I will always be thankful to the company for giving me a job when I needed the income, but frankly hoping to move out of retail asap as its a thankless job with no appreciation from either customers or management.
Pros
Partnership discount, associated discounts
Cons
Low rates of pay, minimal training
Happy Employee
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex13 December 2017
Amazing company to work for who genuinely care about their staff and customers and do business in a different and positive way when compared to similar organisations.
Pros
discounted food, partner benefits, discount etc
Cons
I have to commute
Good Place to Work
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff24 November 2017
This is a good place to work, The pay is not the best the other benefits are very good.
The discount and the pension are good. Along with subsidised outing, meals, and lots of other places .
High Quality and Fast paced
SELLING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands22 November 2017
Constantly on your feet, and you need to be able maintain professionalism at all times, you also would need to be able to help whenever you can and try to outdo yourself if you have to, go the extra mile.
Currently not a nice place to work.
Supermarket Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterlooville14 November 2017
Is not a true partnership. New CEO seems to believe cutting costs is the way no make profits. Staff perks and numbers reduced. Customer service is suffering. Middle management are all leaving as new targets are not achievable.
Pros
Staff and most customers are great.
Cons
Unrealistic targets
Productive, team building however staff morale was low
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire25 September 2017
Typical day, would come onto the counter and start setting up or serving customers depending on the day. I was a flexible partner so could work in various parts of the store. Management understood staff morale problems however didn't seem to work on these but rather the profitability which I understand is highly important.
Decent
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh19 September 2017
The Partnership doesn't know how good its Partners are. It lacks self-confidence and takes too much advice from external consultants when it should be listening to its Partners. It needs to invest in its Partners and set them free from the processes that stifle agility.
A good company to work for although had an impersonal feel as so corporate.
Function Assistant (Current Employee) –  The Odney Club9 August 2017
I work on a part-time basis, 9-1pm, 5 days a week. Every other weekend, which is the hardest part of the job.
I work with 12 people and enjoy being part of the team. It is sociable and obviously has great perks.
I have an extremely varied day, working mainly within housekeeping, offering a high level of service to customers/guests staying at the conference and hotel facility.
The management is always professional, although at times it has an impersonal feel as all requests and training go through a central computer base.
The reason I am leaving is because the management have been unable to source replacement staff and therefore are placing harder demands on the team for weekend work, overtime and extra days.
Pros
Great benefits & fairly flexible.
Cons
Worked weekends and demanding as always short staffed.
Checkout Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kings Hill, Kent24 July 2017
Very friendly managers and staff, quite a calm enviroment, can get really busy so that can sometimes be difficult if short staffed. Very generous benefits and salary.
Pros
Good benefits and salary, lovely staff, meet nice new customers
Cons
Some rude people
Great Benefits but unsatisfactory pay for demands and expectations of the job roles. Very stretched staffing levels. Lazy management.
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham New Street Station, West Midlands19 July 2017

Development and progression is advertised but no job progression is available. Official figures show that only 40% of partners who have completed management training eventually achieved management status since 2015.
Pros
Discounts and allowances
Cons
Pay
Good people to work with poor section managers and steering group
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Watford4 July 2017
Was there for four years on a training to be a manager scheme called pathways, waste of time you will be used so section managers and steering group have less work, you will never get promoted. Other people on this scheme gave their notice to work for better companies that don't treat their so called partners of a partnership owned business apparently like absolute rubbish.
Pros
Benefits, good people work with
Cons
Where do I start
Great company with great partners
Menswear Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton8 June 2017
My favourite part about working in John Lewis were the partners I worked with, I learned a lot from those partners and also became quite good friends with the majority if them. Great atmosphere and every one is always willing to help.
Efficient, Productive, Educational, Organised.
Supermarket Assistant - Waitrose (Former Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire10 May 2017
My time at Waitrose was spent mostly at checkouts and patisserie, the latter I received full training for. Whilst working for the John Lewis Partnership I was treated as a partner, such as being treated with respect, kindness, and professionalism.

The management was very much organised and welcoming, keeping an efficient machine running even during the hardest parts of the job, which would be incredibly busy days.

I enjoyed interacting with customers the most, helping them through their experience in the store and hearing their stories was refreshing and even fun.

Whilst the workplace culture was that of a machine, which is understandable, we were able to breathe freely and with enough head space so as to not lose personality.
Pros
Experience, Good Hours, Good Breaks, Helpful Training, Strong Community, Organised Management.
John Lewis
Hotel Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brownsea Island5 May 2017
Good company to work for, really good benefits to working with this company. Very nice people to work with and everyone, generally, actually cares about customer service.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Wonderful company, mostly mean customers
Non permanent job assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent25 April 2017
I mostly didn't enjoy my time at John Lewis due to the treatment at the hand of the customers. Being one (if not the) highest rated shop in the UK seemed to mean that customers expected the moon and back as far as customer service is concerned, Of course doing your best can only go so far when a customers yelling at you for not having the right size or product. The company on the other hand couldn't be more different. With hundreds of benefits such as Christmas bonus, discounts in not only John lewis but in special event days like special thorpe park tickets. They are also very friendly happy to help and they are fair when it comes to your working schedule and pay is one of the most competitive. I only worked there as briefly both times and i can safely say i won't be going back. I couldn't go back to feeling like i always have to restrain myself from storming out, but plastering a smile on my face whilst being treated like dirt.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Getting no respect for hard work
fun place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh22 April 2017
fun place to w ork good staff discount good hoilidays nicsewogoorkmates good location good hours good wages job security safe
Pros
good hours
Cons
too hot
secure and supportive
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London22 March 2017
we all support each other and intergrate as one . management are very proactive and are very reliable. the culture is aabout being the best at what we do
Pros
great atmosphere great brand opportunities to develop skills
Cons
slightly short staffed
Fun place to work
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands21 March 2017
Great place to work, friendly people and a lot of oppourtunities.
Management is sometimes unorganised and useless.
Didnt enjoy wearing uniform of suit
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, UK9 March 2017
Been with the company 5 years and they are very supportive about personal development. Encourage partners to share good practice and ideas.
Benefits are great and a good work life balance
Pros
Great people, Benefts and friendly atmosphere
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2