John Lewis Employee Reviews for Assistant

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
Found 2 reviews matching the search See all 1,277 reviews
Unfair, Unprofessional toward concession workers.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  John Lewis Newcastle6 January 2013
I was employed by a concession therefore half payed by the company and half by John Lewis.
There is a complete difference to how you are treat as a John Lewis 'Partner' to being employed via a concession. The department I worked on was very 'clicky' and one of the section managers were extremely unprofessional having certain rules for one and different for another.
I was expected to change my hours at short notice, working long shifts (over contracted hours and not being paid but only offered lieu time AND only to be taken when they say) Late nights and weekends. There were 5 John Lewis Managers on my department and they all got alternative weekends off, sometimes late nights werent even covered by a manager despite there being 5 of them.
People we're dismissed with no notice, no written warning or disciplinary procedures followed, all because they were'nt 'partners'. Total disgrace there were others breaking rules etc who did not get dismissed.
On one occasion we were told to give hours of our time (not paid or to be taken back as lieu) and if you had a problem you were often made to feel on edge even though essentially it is breaking the law!
The managers used to bring treats in for partners only, they are actually paid 10mins before their shift and 10 mins after but if anyone had to stay behind it was always the concession workers.
Pros
25% discount (non partners can only use in the store they work in)
Cons
long hours, late nights, weekends, pressure, school-like treatment.