John Lewis Employee Reviews in Nottingham

Professional
Catering assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham10 August 2017
Very professional business that makes you feel at home as well as very important while working. Its a very nice environment to work in, the staff are great.
It's a shop
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham29 July 2017
In retail there is no better place to work when it comes to being looked after. The benefits are wonderful i.e., yearly bonus, staff discount and pension. However, it is a shop management could do with remembering that. A shop won't change the world for the better, people buy things. Management can take it all far too seriously. It is becoming increasingly difficult to advance through the ranks with them preferring to opt for the graduate schemes rather than training up loyal staff who care about the business.
Pros
Your fellow staff become an extention of your family.
Cons
Pay is awful
A company going down the pan
Stockroom Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire11 July 2017
What was regarded as a good company to work for is now something of the past. Management is poor and there is no real leadership in the business, workers are very demotivated and demorilised.
Professional and corporate
Leisure Benefits Coordinator / Stock Management (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, UK17 April 2017
A target driven company which has become a corporate environment in recent years. It is still a great place to work as far as retail is concerned and offers a competitive salary.
Pros
Annual bonus and leisure benefits
Cons
Increasing corporate environment
Selling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, UK9 March 2017
Been with the company 5 years and they are very supportive about personal development. Encourage partners to share good practice and ideas.
Benefits are great and a good work life balance
Pros
Great people, Benefts and friendly atmosphere
Cons
Pay
Great opportunities
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham24 February 2017
Working here was very rewarding. There are multiple opportunities for you to get involved in. The other staff members are so friendly and make you feel very welcome. They are just like family. The actual work is very rewarding as you are not just doing one thing the whole time. The managers get involved in work on the shop floor alongside you so you do not feel belittled in anyway. They are always on hand to deal with situations and support you as much as they possibly can.
Pros
Flexibility, Team Working
Cons
Long Hours
A very good place and compsnt to work for 😊
Night Shift Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham6 February 2017
It was a very family knit shift we worked all got on and knuckled down when we needed to graft . The other workers and stay were easy to get on with and ready and willing to help in any way
Pros
Close to home a very relaxed atmosphere and people to work for
Cons
None that i can think of was a very good experience
good place to work feels like a family
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire31 January 2017
I started working for the partnership a little over 14 years ago and in that time i have experience every aspect of retail. At the start of my career with the partnership there was now internet shopping and they had only just started to open seven days a week now the business is present in over sixty five countrys and has become Briton's favourite retailer for both online and in store this is down to the work place culture and the in vestment in both customer service and knowledge of the products.

There is never a typical day at john lewis as every customer can offer there own challenges and with the new flexibility all partners could be moved around at any point and may never be in the same section concisely.

The hardest part of the job is adapting to change and the speed of which the business has had to adapt due the the customers change in shopping culture.

Some poor management customers can be the hardest part of the job
Pros
family atmosphere bonus they care
Cons
pore management in some stores and inexperience due to age
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire30 January 2017
Hard working at a fast pace and making sandwiches and cobs for customers all over town and making wraps , helping everyone else if I had finished with what I am doing
Exciting and productive workplace
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham20 February 2016
I was enabled to learn a lot during my time there despite only being there for a short period as a Christmas temp, everyone working there is incredibly friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed working for John Lewis.
Great 1st Job
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham26 January 2016
gave me the 'big wide world' experience as a youngster. 100% professional company that will invest in employees with ambition.
Good Company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham City Centre18 October 2015
Had a great time working here, gained experience working as a big team and handling busy periods of trade. The colleagues were lovely and we even got free lunch provided for our hard work. Its a big shop and had a lot of different products to learn about from kitchen ware to bedroom furniture. The management team were OK but could have been a bit more supportive.
Pros
Free lunches
Varied experience.
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottingham16 July 2015
Depending where you're stationed, a day can be fast paced or extremely slow. I've learned how to sell a range of products I've never associated or taken an interest in before. Co-workers are brilliant and I have a healthy relationship with all ages. Management are good but sometimes a little dis-organised, yet that's understandable. Hardest part is trying to please every customer, more frequently via telephone when messages come from complaints. Most enjoyable part of the job is the customers you meet and when you're praised for helping them successfully.
Pros
Long breaks, bonus and benefits
Cons
Low staffing and favouritism
Productive workplace
Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  Nottingham21 April 2015
a typical days work for me was on the fitting rooms but also collecting stock for customers from the warehouse and also putting it onto the shop floor. I also dealt with customers, from enquiries to queries to merely just asking for basic directions.
I learned a lot more about customer service and giving the best and sometimes going beyond with basic demands from customers, I learn how the fitting rooms worked, which I didn't know before.
The floor I was on was managed well, as I was swapped around quite a bit to get a taster for new things and sections on the shop floor. I was well looked after by the staff even if it was for a short space of time, they made me feel really comfortable.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours and being constantly busy during each hour with new demands and tasks given unto me.
The most enjoyable part of the job was trying new things and developing my customer service skills even further. I also made new friends who were on the same temporary vacancy I was so we were all a similar age and got on really well.
Pros
gaining new skills and confidence
brilliant company
Christmas Temp Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG9 February 2015
although this was just a short term every one makes you feel welcome and you are treated as if you have always been there even from your first day.

a really busy fast track environment and keep on your toes. due to the shopping centre makeover it is a very dusty environment at this point of time especially working near the entrance doors to the centre.
Great workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nottingham11 November 2014
John Lewis was a great place to do my work experience a typical days work would be approaching customers, advising them on products and handling money. The hardest part of the job was learning about all the different products and the most enjoyable part would be communicating with the customers and being able to be apart of the John Lewis team.
Best place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG25 September 2014
My short time of work experience in John Lewis was so much fun and really valuable. I learnt lots of new skills working there and had lots of opportunities to complete different tasks ins tore. The other staff are so so lovely and the staff cafe is a really nice place for breaks and lunch,
fun active work place
DRIVERS MATE (Former Employee) –  nottingham18 August 2014
At John lewis a day to day can very to very busy to very easy. but all the same was an interesting place to work,
Disappointing, though could have been much worse.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG6 July 2014
I applied to John Lewis in October 2013, on the recommendation of a friend who had recently gained a long-term contract there. Despite applying to stock management I was offered a position in the catering department, and soon put to work on the bakery and patisserie counters, where I distributed food and drink. After the first month of weekend shifts I spent most of the second month on table-clearing duty in the main restaurant and the espresso bar.

Initially I was thrown in at the deep end; my first shift involved me preparing hot drinks, even though I hadn't been given any proper guidance on how to do so at that point. That same day I collected clean cups and saucers from the pot wash even though I hadn't yet been given appropriate footwear. I was later told that as this was a temporary position it was not cost-effective to give me such footwear, and would therefore be unable to complete future shifts in pot wash. However, I was promised a uniform consisting of a white shirt and black trousers - these never arrived, forcing me to wear my own clothes for the entire time period. Though I was given a hairnet and apron I would have appreciated all the benefits I was offered prior to accepting the job.

Even so I was grateful for the two main benefits I experienced whilst in the catering department - free lunches and good pay. The food was unwaveringly excellent, and my salary (increased by 50% on Sundays) very helpful for someone in my position. Another obvious benefit of the job was the co-workers, all of whom were extremely friendly and made me feel welcome. Many of them
  more... were eager to help me when I was struggling or offer me extra advice, and by the end of the contract I felt glad to be a part of the team.

On the other hand, I found the management setup to be at times difficult and uncommunicative. The managers mucked in with the catering staff on occasions when the restaurant became overworked (very frequently while I was there) and tried to be supportive though I lost count of the number of times I was told to 'stick at it' during less than favourable working conditions. In addition to the problems with my uniform, and a minor difficulty with my first wage packet, I noticed that the table-clearing sector was regularly understaffed, usually requiring members of other departments to come and help out. However management generally failed to rectify the problems until mid afternoon - thus I frequently felt tired and irritated at how hard I had to work. This wasn't helped by the fact that break were very irregular - during my 7-hour Sunday I had a single 30 minute break, which I spent eating lunch. I would often return home exhausted and unable to use the rest of the day effectively as I had planned.

By the end of it I had garnered a set of useful skills and experience of paid employment. Sadly my lofty impression of John Lewis was tainted by my experience. Despite this, partners elsewhere are extremely positive about their experiences - I must assume that the catering sector at the Nottingham store is a relatively weak link in an otherwise strong chain.

Therefore I would recommend that anyone applying to the catering department at Nottingham to approach the job with caution, especially during the busier periods. However if you are willing to undergo arduous shifts and repetitive work, you should be ok.
Pros
Free lunches, good food during breaks, friendly and helpful co-workers, invaluable experience.
Cons
Long hours, minimal training, inconsistent management, repetitive labour, wage difficulties, no uniform.
Friendly and fun atmosphere
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG3 April 2014
During my time as a merchandiser, my daily duties were to maintain department standards - so I was to clean, tidy displays, replenish emptier displays and merchandise new stock into current displays according to the toolkit provided. I enjoyed this job as I have the opportunity to be creative and try out my ideas. My co-workers were such nice, friendly and encouraging people. My managers were very supportive. The hardest part of the job is during busy times, there is a lot of work to do whilst having the pressure of serving customers due to how busy other partners would be. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating an effective display with new stock and in turn, being praised for this. I used to enjoy seeing the effect the moves have had on sales in that area of the department.
Pros
Partner benefits, friendly atmosphere, two breaks
Cons
Low pay