John Lewis Employee Reviews in London

Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  London5 June 2018
Usually quite busy, management was great; the managers were very understanding and helpful. The staff were great fun, bubbly and really dependable.

The only downside of working there was the condescending, pretentious, patronizing customers.
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  London/Bracknell2 June 2018
A fun loving diverse environment that people can blend very easily but the salaries are not so great!.....................................................
Appreciate what you have got
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London27 May 2018
I loved my time at John Lewis, they were incredibly supportive, encouraged development, had great benefits and it was a nice environment. It has changed a lot recently and time will tell if these changes are for the better. Many of the people who complain about the company have never worked anywhere else and so I don't think they fully appreciate the benefits and security they have.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bonus has taken a hit in recent years
Great Place to Work
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  London UK8 May 2018
No day was ever the same. I would meet different customers with different remarks.

learn how to multitask as sometime I would have to work different section at the same time;this may because of staff shortages.

Each week there was different menu which I would need to learn to ensure that I had a good understanding of what I am preparing and serving. This made my role interesting as I was always doing something new.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Bonus
Productive and Fun Work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith London4 May 2018
The company helped me cater my skills and handle customers with professionally. It was a very good workplace because of its being diverse which allows our day-to-day job enjoyable.
Demanding but Fair
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London26 April 2018
Targets were always upper most in your daily work. Work colleagues were very professional. I learned customer service at John Lewis and use these valuable skills on a daily basis.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
poor pay and progression opportunities
productive partnership
Selling Partner/Partner voice rep (Current Employee) –  London2 April 2018
I have learned a great deal while working for the partnership, I have enjoyed my time working for john lewis, I have met some lovely people and have picked up many many life skills over the years.
Pros
family feeling different and unique to the rest of the retail stores out there
Cons
long hours and weekends
Excellent Company
Stock Controller (Current Employee) –  London1 April 2018
One of the best companies to work for. Very compassionate, easy going, good holidays and decent pay. Management and colleagues are very easy to get along with.
Never hired.
Applicant for JLP Partnership (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 March 2018
I spend an entire 1/5 hour to finish the application and online test, walked 3 miles to the interview. But instead they have outsourced WCN recruitment tool that picks keywords and hires only three candidates a time. This company promises equal opportunities but doesn't live to the word for equal opportunity, merit, knowledge or talent. Yet sad fact they used my energy and hope and the decision was no-hire. From that point I got disappointed with John Lewis. I would have added great professional outcome here, I would buy into the company and join its Partnership, and understood the economics of the company culture. I was a customer in the past but no longer. Rivals M&S, HoF, and Debs will be my choice now.

Now they have to deal with employees with lower hostile mindset. It's the loss for John Lewis if they disregard me. If you offer benefits or Finance to your partners and none of the assets are used by employees, renders useless. Demand is low enough in our economy. John Lewis lost on a valuable person.
Cons
No hire decision
Amazing culture, however lacking in structure
IT Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Victoria22 March 2018
John Lewis are an incredible Company to work for in terms of the way they treat their staff. Non-aggressive manner and people do matter. However, the downfall of this is that where everyone has a say, it causes complications, delays and a lack of organisational structure, which creates chaos. A huge shame.

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
Excellent
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London20 March 2018
The John Lewis Partnership treats all its employees excellently, and welfare is constantly on the minds of those in higher positions in the company. I would recommend this job to someone wanting to gain experience in the world of retail and customer service
Good Managers, Great Employee Benefits
Stock Management Partner (Current Employee) –  London7 March 2018
- Work with a great team
- Friendly and Approachable manners
- Hardest part: difficult customers, unsociable working hours
- Most enjoyable part: working with my team
Cons
unsociable hours, lack of room to change working hours
Good for some time
Sales Consultan, Admin Agent (Former Employee) –  London6 March 2018
John Lewis looks good for customers.And it has good reputation which lately become very fragile.
JLewis is suited to work for the upper management and directors very well , not for the average sales assitant or stock room assistant.
salarys do not reflect your hard work.
I guess if you own a house then youll probably cover the bills and don't mind working there ,if you are paying rent and support familly it is tough.
Fake democracy culture and environment.Otherwise good for socialising if that is your thing.
Avoid
Pros
Good People
Cons
Low salary, fake democracy
Application operations technical analyst ITL3 (Former Employee) –  London victoria and Carlisle.5 March 2018
Usually 35 hours per week full time.
Some jobs have a call out rota, especially the operations side.
Normally well informed, good atmosphere to work in.
Main office has dining room on site and has a bar area for after work.
Hardest part of the job for me was the travelling to different sites.
Good package which includes yearly bonus.
New starters will find it hard as the pension scheme has radically changed over the last 5 years or so.
Pros
Bonus
Cons
Sometimes too many meetings
Lead Technical Analyst & Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  London27 February 2018
John Lewis has a reputation for being one of the best places to work in the UK and with good reason. This is a fantastic place to work with some incredible people. The perks are not bad either, my favourite being the Partner dining area.
Pros
People and the ethos
Cons
Making decisions takes longer in a Partnership
First class employer
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London7 February 2018
I worked as a Saturday junior in the menswear department of the flagship Oxford Street branch. For some bizarre reason we only worked Saturday mornings, with the store shutting as people poured into Oxford Street. I believe that has now changed.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
good
Restaurant Customer Service (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2018
Its was absolutely great working with John lewis in London. I really enjoyed working there for more than years. The salary was absolutely fantastic as well.
Fun place to work.
Product Developer (Former Employee) –  London22 January 2018
John Lewis is a excellent company to work for, with huge benefits to staff such as, trips abroad, discounts, theatre tickets etc. I have spent many years being notice and in turn have benefiting with promotional job roles, which is vital as you feel appreciate that your hard work is being notice.
Pros
Promotional opportunity
Cons
Retail is long hours
Great people to work with
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London21 January 2018
Physically hard
Excellent rewards
Learn new skills
Opinions and ideas not always valued
Paid for Physio when i injured my back
Arranged great staff outings
Pros
Discount
Cons
Hard to find good shifts
Great company
Head of Organisation Development & New Format (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2018
The Partnership is a unique place to work, with strong a culture of sharing knowledge and power.
The benefits are pretty extensive, and include the use of hotels and leisure facilities owned by the Partnership, discount, good pension, health insurance and company bonus.
You will be expected to get involved in the democracy, which is the forum by which Partners ( employees) get a voice in how the company is run. Relationships in JLP are very important.
The company is very fair and focuses on engagement and flexibility for the company and the individual.
Decision making can be slow.
Pros
really family feel to the business, routed in a strong culture
Cons
salaries are not the highest, but benefits are good if you use them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.