John Lewis Employee Reviews

Great company
Head of Organisation Development & New Format (Former Employee) –  London18 January 2018
The Partnership is a unique place to work, with strong a culture of sharing knowledge and power.
The benefits are pretty extensive, and include the use of hotels and leisure facilities owned by the Partnership, discount, good pension, health insurance and company bonus.
You will be expected to get involved in the democracy, which is the forum by which Partners ( employees) get a voice in how the company is run. Relationships in JLP are very important.
The company is very fair and focuses on engagement and flexibility for the company and the individual.
Decision making can be slow.
Pros
really family feel to the business, routed in a strong culture
Cons
salaries are not the highest, but benefits are good if you use them
Good, fair place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent17 January 2018
A good engaging job, benefits are fantastic even if the hourly rate is a little lower than other retailers. They are flexible on working hours to a point however, not brilliant if you have commitments which may change when you are available.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
low hourly wage
Enjoyable
Sock Management (Former Employee) –  Peterborough17 January 2018
Whilst completing my A-levels I worked as a Christmas temp twice. This was so that I could become more independent and gain new skills about what working in a real environment would be like. The staff there were all really kind and helpful when I first started, the hours were great (it fitted in with my school studies) and I was able to gain transferable skills that I can now apply to many other jobs. I learnt how to interact with customers and how to ensure that all my work got done to the best ability. I would have applied to work a third Christmas there but I had to leave my hometown for University.
The working hours were 12 hours a week- 6 on Saturday and Sunday. The management were very flexible considering that I was a student. The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and gaining new experiences, the only hard thing was getting up at half 5 on a Saturday morning.
Pros
Cheap lunches
Cons
Only a half an hour break after being on my feet for most of the day
temporary job
Temporary Contract (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff15 January 2018
As a temporary job, it was enjoyable. I wouldn't want a permanent job there as I found it a bit stiff as the type of people they want to work there are not really my sort of people. Nothing wrong with the company, just my own personality.
IT support (Former Employee) –  Solihull14 January 2018
A typical day would include

• Undertaking agency staff inductions and health & safety into the workplace.
• Answering telephone calls and responding to emails on a daily basis.
• Compiling daily reports on incoming and outbound stock for the managers to forecast staffing levels, training issues and KPI’s
• Storing and securing high value stock and raising financial debits back to stores or manufacturers.
• IT support including resetting passwords and resolving any system errors
• Creating manifests and updating invoices.
• Running pick lists.
• Completing customer returns/orders including checking credit card details and additional charges.
• Train and mentor new employees including health and safety at work
• Understanding the importance of confidentiality and sensitive data by shredding any customer details and resetting passwords for employee’s.

Good money, Good hours, Badly managed.
Pros
Money, Hours, Good team
Productive and fun workplace
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London13 January 2018
Enjoyable
Great team
All work together
Great fun
Best management
Awesome canteen!
Food prices for lunch amazing
Help each other
Wonderful benefits
Would love to go back but as management lol..
Pros
Amazing workplace!
Great Place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bagshot, Surrey12 January 2018
Very busy very full on
Exciting meeting different people - customers
Fun building rapour with customers
Great benefits
work hard play hard
many shifts to choose from plenty of overtime
rewards for working Sundays
Taking the rough with the smooth always going to have difficult cutsomers
Rewarding when compliments fed back to management
Top management very supportive
Lots variety - if you are willing to learn new skills
I work on Customer Service
on the Welcome desk
On the tills
Supervise staff
Supervise the Self Check out tills
Serve on podi - tobacco cigarettes and lottery tickets
Pros
Yearly Bonus depending on profit
Cons
Can be long shifts and week end working
Work Exp
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London11 January 2018
I was only here for two weeks so didn't really get to see the bad side if there's any. Meals on shift was a good range of food. Staff was lovely always willing to teach you.
I enjoyed working at the men section because it showed me a lot of designs and also different type of fashion
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  West London, Greater London8 January 2018
Working at John Lewis for work experience gave me a lot of skills and also helped me knowing how to work in retail and showed me different types of rolls in the business
Christmas temp
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire8 January 2018
Got taken on for a few months after leaving university. Fairly standard job serving tea and coffee to shoppers in the store cafe. Was a minimum wage position but full time on a rolling three week rota meant I took home a decent pay packet at the time. I had my contact extended for an additional month, but poor timing with the 2008 financial crash meant that a permanent position was unavailable.
Pros
Good atmosphere, brilliant canteen, friendly colleagues
Cons
Minimum wage, only a temporary position

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
Positive work plaxe
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London8 January 2018
Amazing first job helps with independence.a everyone their helps each other out with day to day tasks and really push you to You maximum to reach their goal
Pros
Good hours
Productive workplace
Stock Management/Customer Collections (Former Employee) –  Reading7 January 2018
working at john lewis definitely helped me to develop my customer service skills as I was always having to talk to customers and help them. most people i worked with were nice
Fun Workplace
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street7 January 2018
Working during the winter holiday season can be a great challenge where targets have to be met and I enjoyed this.
A typical day included helping customers with outfits for everyday or special occasions. If items were not available in store, I also assisted customers with online shopping such as click and collect. Also checking out customers on the tills.
The staff and management were very supportive and friendly.
Customer Support
Customer Support Advisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge6 January 2018
The team is great, we worked effectively together and made sure all tasks were complete. All team members were always there to help. The management were amazing at being supportive and made sure you were always on task and were meeting the goals you were aiming for. The hardest part of the job was probably working part time. This is because everything I would learn during the weekend, I would forget when I come back to work. I am also muslim, so when ramadan came, the team always made sure I was okay by asking me if I was okay and telling me to take breaks frequently so i don't get tired out. They also let me go pray on time and did not take that time out of my break. This was convenient because I was able to eat and enjoy my break, than rush. The most enjoyable part would be how you feel like you're part of a loving family. The team, the management, everyone is great!
Pros
Everyone is very supportive and great management
Cons
Not many hours available in my department
Terrible place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire6 January 2018
Security checks in place for entering and leaving the site that take an enormous amount of time to complete. The pay is terrible, the break structure is terrible and they will literally sack you on the spot.
Good Team work.
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greenhithe4 January 2018
Processing customer orders, phoning for payment. Chasing suppliers. Answering phones, replying to emails. Dealing with complaints. Giving good service so that the customer is pleased with the service we have supplied.
Great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton3 January 2018
Really enjoyed the few months I worked there. I would recommend. To begin with staff there were really friendly and easy to get along with. Good pay and easy to pick up extra hours.
Excellent Employer
Legal Assistant - Employment (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London3 January 2018
A brilliant company to work for. All employees are known as Partners and own the business so everyone is equal.
Opportunities for training to help with further your career.
Pros
Discount, Annual Bonus, Stl, Pension
Best in retail
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 January 2018
5 stars, selling and customer service focused lots of opportunities to develop as well as great benefits, they have a dedicated website for partners and on top the yearly bonus and pay rise is goo
busy full on days
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston Upon Thames3 January 2018
enjoy working here as it very friendly place reason for leave being made redundant we have customers calling in on a daily basis asking about orders and taking payment. dealing with complaints
benefits
Cons
open 7 days a week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2