John Lewis Employee Reviews

Terribly boring and often spoken to like a fool
Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire18 July 2018
The partners really think there something special but spend most of their time gossiping about each other, a very snipey environment but then I worked in the ‘beauty’ hall. A lot of back stabbing and not a great deal of proactive selling. Most of the partners walk about looking down there nose at you. Guys you work in a shop. Get over yourselfs. I managed to stand it for over a year but got out. If you value your sanity work for M&S or even Tesco, actually Aldi pay a lot better. I guess if you vote conservative and really think your something then this is the place for you. Don’t get me wrong there were a couple of nice people their but it’s generally sad folks that live in the sticks that are just waiting to retire or die.
Pros
A discount card after three LONG months.
Cons
Nasty working environment, Dull and boring staff, no passion for sales, just getting through the day
productive, welcoming and caring
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent17 July 2018
a typical day of working as a sales assistant at John Lewis involved, making sure that the floor I was working on was tidy, clear and organised. mostly working on the cashier serving customers making conversation with the customers ensuring that they are satisfied with the customer service they have been provided with.
when working at John Lewis I leant that you have to be very patient with people. I learned how to communicate better with customers and become much more confident. I also learnt how to use a cashier which was very fun and will help me a lot in my future if I ever become a sales assistant again.
when working at John Lewis met some lovely people that I will not forget, they made my time working at John Lewis very enjoyable.
the hardest part of my Job was the long hours that I was doing after it only being my first proper job the hours left me very tired by the end of the night.
the most enjoyable part of the job was defiantly meeting the amazing people that I became friends with. also being welcomed so nicely and fitting in as much as I did I quickly found my self being able to do jobs independently.
Pros
long lunch breaks, lovely people who work there
Cons
Great working environment with great staff
Level 10 Partner (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 July 2018
I worked at John Lewis for just under a year after completing my degree. Although I knew I would be working there for a short time and knew that retail was not my career path I found that there was no room for advancement in the company. This could have been because I working in a new store that was only 1 years old (Leeds Store) but there were partners in this store who had been within the partnership for decades and were still only sales assistants. Unless you had management experience or worked in a higher position in other retail stores there was no clear path for advancement nor were there any other roles between sales assistants and selling coaches and selling coaches and management. Other than that I found that the people employed John Lewis are all lovely and easy to work with having made many friends there myself, friendships which will last a lifetime. Good friendships are needed though as if you are full time the hours are very long and not the most sociable as you would finish between 7 and 8 PM, it is not your typical 9-5 job.
great employer
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Watford16 July 2018
Great company, have been employed for over 3 years.

Great training and loads of benefits for partners. Highly recommend.

The application process is very legnthly.
Pros
partner discount and lots of benefits
Cons
late hours
long hours pay not that grate
Returns Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire16 July 2018
long hours pay not that great tbh sometimes you dont get paid for all days you work till following week or month
its easy to get to and the canteen is nice and clean but only sell cold drinks but prices are okay not expensive
Pros
easy to get to
Fun yet challenging
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes14 July 2018
Working at John Lewis grew my confidence in the year that I worked there as well as enabling me to meet new people. Management was at times not great.
Pros
Good pay
Not what it once was
Selling Partner (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, UK5 July 2018
Not the shining beacon most make it out to be. The review and pay structure was always being reworked to the detriment of those hard workers. Management would constantly say how great the annual bonus was but as a shop floor worker you relied upon the ever decreasing bonus to supplement your wage. Partnership board would always champion how great the partnership is to work for and how proud we should be, easy to say when their bonus was more than most people earn in 5 years!!
If you want to earn any decent money you needed to work at head office where more and more jobs were being created but was almost impossible to get in to as 100’s would apply for every job.
People I worked with were great, met some lovely people i’m Still in touch with now, most aren’t working there anymore either...
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Out of touch management
Poor Management
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London5 July 2018
The current direction of the business has no aim, as most of the older staff have left who were passionate about this company, the new staffs all do not care much where the business is heading, especially the young managers, who only care about the money and not the business.
Excellent place to work and excellent treatment of staff
Section Manager, Personnel (Former Employee) –  Cambridge29 June 2018
This is by far the best organisation I have ever worked for. I wish all organisations were run like the John Lewis Partnership. From its benefits for staff members, to its training programmes and progression.
Productive fun workplace
Stock Management Partner (Former Employee) –  Ipswich28 June 2018
Amazing workplace to have been a part of, full of supportive staff who are able to continually teach you new skills on a regular basis. I was taught how to manage time efficiently in order to multi-task a plethora of different jobs across the branch.

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
active, engageable partnership, with a strong sense of belonging and personal (and communal in regards to the company) growth
Electrical Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent26 June 2018
I found the team ethos of john lewis engageable, giving me a sense of security necessary for developing my skills to the high level expectations of the company. I found myself becoming more independent as the weeks went on, the 'sense of security' that the team had initially provided, developing into a fully engageable and active entity to which I could efficiently contribute. This sense of personal and communal growth that I experienced at John Lewis has inspired me to pursue other retail, teamwork orientated roles.

I also enjoyed my relationships with customers, particularly once i had acquired the skills i needed to add personal recommendations and orders for them, it gave me a powerful sense of independence to be effectively working for these people and handling over their often expensive items.
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire21 June 2018
excellent place to work with amazing benefits would 10/10 recommend to anyone who is interested in working in sales and is just starting out. management are great
Pros
partner dining room
Cons
long shifts
Demanding place to work
Resourcing Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bracknell20 June 2018
Each day consisted of being assigned certain tasks to be completed within given timeframes but these would then change constantly according to priorities from other areas of the business.

The management of the department was poor. My manager was off sick until my 2nd month in role and the required 30 and 60 day reviews never took place.

You have quite high targets to achieve every day but if you work hard these are achievable.

Work colleagues were great and the most enjoyable part of the job.

Most roles are offered on a short term contract to avoid cost of providing additional benefits and in order to extend you have to re-apply and go through whole recruitment process again.
Pros
excellent colleagues
Cons
constant change of work focus
Friendly and helpful colleagues.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester18 June 2018
Cool place. This is a great place to work for people with the patience to deal with customers queries, learn on the go, and who are great at providing customer service each one will remember. There's a lot to take in regardless of the department but other employees are always willing to lend a hand in tough spots.
Inspiring place to work
sales assistant and barman (Former Employee) –  Cambridge18 June 2018
Great place to work and begin life in the retail sector. The subject at the heart of the business is the highest level of customer services on the high street, so learning in that environment is a good place to start.
Pros
Free lunches/Discounts in store and with waitrose
Cons
Working most weekends
Hard working environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheadle18 June 2018
A typical day of work would consist of a quick team meeting in the morning to discuss sales targets and then moving onto the shop floor to meet customers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very busy
Best In Retail
Selling partner (Current Employee) –  Sheffield14 June 2018
I have worked here for a long time therefore, I see changes that feel worse than when I began but as a retail job, it's the best that you can ask for.
Productive and fun workplace
Quality Control Checker (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 June 2018
Very calm, and at the same time fast moving environment. I learn a lot about fashion trends, especially why people dislike products and send them back, I also learn the overall process of how clothes resealing works, and what company does to save money. The workplace was very calm and friendly. The job wasn't hard for me, because I was enjoying manually researching about people preferences, by reading the reasons for the item return, and I also love, to learn new skills at the beginning.
Pros
Calm environment
Cons
Not permanent job
Work here its ok
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich12 June 2018
This is a very ok place to work. If you are looking for an exciting fulfilling and advance your life goals maybe try somewhere else. Though it is nice place to work.
Nice place
Bosh Expert - Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Reading12 June 2018
Nice place to work there people know what they are talking about, but I only was working there as representative of another company.
I recommened the staff canteen to everyone... cheap and good food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.