John Lewis Employee Reviews

The york branch operates on a tiny crew so the branch manager gets praised for his profits.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  York22 April 2018
Yes you read that right. When I started with John Lewis there was plenty of staff and plenty of happy customers. When I left because my Dr signed me off due to the stress of the job, my department had less than a quarter of the staff it originally had.
Staff shortages were due to staff leaving and the new branch manager not replacing them so he could look like he was saving tonnes of money.
One big shop and no staff walking around because there's only enough to be on the tills and fitting rooms means a lot of mad customers ranting at them because they can't find anyone to help them.
The air con was absolutely rubbish in the summer.
The shop only has Windows at the front so staff suffer from a lack of natural light.
You have to work as a manager for a year but not on a manager wage before you are considered for a promotion. That also requires a lot of brown nosing.
The branch manager makes the department managers literally do laps in circles of the shop floor. It's laughable. Managers stepped down or left and I don't blame them.
Pros
The bonus. Thats it.
Cons
Rubbish air con, brown nosing for career progression, long hours stood at tills or fitting rooms, no natural light, no music, abusive customers
not worth it
Driver/Installer (Current Employee) –  narnia22 April 2018
management are useless fools who dont support you in the job or manage the team well, morale is low and they are constantly adding pressure and pushing for more despite performing well in all areas when it comes to regional stats
good team
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton20 April 2018
While working at warehouse for the John Lewis company I enjoyed the hours I was given and was surrounded by friendly staff members.Respected company very lots of benefits and days out to do with your family
Selling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London19 April 2018
I worked at John Lewis in Oxford Street. Also, I was a Christmas temporary which I was working as a selling assistant in the kid’s toys department and the kid’s clothing department. My responsibilities included: being polite to customer and restocking products and answering any enquiries that the customers had and helping behind the tills and making sure that the products were in the right place. My salary was £8.75 an hour, I work 20 hours a week.
good company to work for, compared to some out there
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  North West19 April 2018
Have got more savy over the years but still care about the people who work for them. Having now worked for other employers can see the benefits of working for John Lewis and the employee welfare side.
Pros
employee well being
Cons
You believe that you are a partner and have a voice when you actually dont.
Friendly Staff
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ramsgate, Kent18 April 2018
While working at Waitrose for the John Lewis company I enjoyed the hours I was given and was surrounded by friendly staff members. However is was concerned about some of the stored as some looked unhygienic.
Pros
Cheaper food for staff members
Cons
Too many temp staff hired
Good company to work for
selling assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon17 April 2018
The company has its benefits.. however it is like in all retail jobs if your face fits you will progress. Lots of social events to get involved in. And lovely people the store. The pay is not great and you will have to really prove yourself if you want a raise each year. For the amount of work you produce in a day the pay isn't great.
Cons
Working every weekend if part time
Great organisation until the end
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, Greater London17 April 2018
I loved working for the Partnership for 25 years but my last 6 months were soured because they let me down when I needed them most! I was left with no choice but to take redundancy.
productive
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford Street16 April 2018
as i was only a Christmas temp it was very busy as there were a lot of customers.

I learned how to replenish the shelves on the shop floor and also where everything was in my areas that i covered.

Management is good as someone is always making sure you're doing what you're suppose to.

Workplace culture is just a very busy environment.

Hardest part of the job is when customers come up to you one after the other and ask for products which are all in different stockrooms.

Most enjoyable is meeting new people.
Pros
Cheap staff lunch
Sl
Fraud Investigation Administrator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 April 2018
3 months contract dealing with trying to stop fraud and to stop people at xmas being defruaded of there money with other people buying goods on there card and getting it sent to a different address.
Pros
how not to be cuaght by fraudsters
Cons
to many calls
Well run, enjoyable, stimulating
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston Surrey16 April 2018
Every day was different - customer complaints, personnel issues, project management, sales and profit focus. Most enjoyable part was staff development and empowerment. Most difficult was occasional mismatch of unreasonable customer expectations
Pros
Profit bonus, shopping discount, pension scheme, leisure benefits
Cons
Weekend and evening working
Fast past environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cheshunt16 April 2018
Very busy office, dealing with a mixture of different tasks, multi tasking was a big part within this environment. One of the main things I learned was how to deal with John Lewis customers and their individual requirements, this can also be one of the hardest parts of the job, as customer expectations was something that was unachievable. It was a lively place to work, everyone was a totally different character but we all worked well together and you felt like a family which made it a pleasure to go into work everyday.
Pros
Working Hours
Productive and Fun Place
Delivering quality customer service (Former Employee) –  Glasgow14 April 2018
Typical Day at work - Joyous
Learning Abilities - Conversational Pieces
Management - Boistrous
Workplace Culture - Strict and Domineering
Hardest Job was the ionline nterface with Customers
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Short Breaks
Good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe12 April 2018
good places to work, very busy, hones people skills and customer facing experience.Lots of interaction with customers and you meet lots of new people. Good practice for multitssking
Pros
Prestigious
Cons
Very busy
sales assistant
Watch's and Jewels sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 April 2018
I never really enjoyed my time working within the John Lewis Company as a Partner, While working there I found it to be like school, People only looked out for their friends.
Not A Good Place To Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside9 April 2018
I never liked the job overall, It was very much like school, very cliquey. People in higher places always looked out for their friends when it came to this work place.
Nice place to work
Aftersales (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside6 April 2018
The team I worked with were lovely.
Everything else is standard.
The management leave you to your job as they don’t really know what there doing. This can be hard when you need support.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Poor pay
Work life
department store sales associate (Current Employee) –  Rustington6 April 2018
A good place to work, everyone is friendly and takes pride in what they do.
Respected company very lots of benefits and days out to do with your peers and for the family.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not a lot of staff on shop floor sometimes
Decent place to work
Sales assistant over the Christmas period (Former Employee) –  Reading4 April 2018
I worked as a Christmas temp. I was doing 2 10hr shifts per week on an 8 week contract. It was a pleasant environment to work in, everyone in my department was very welcoming and the managers were decent, although the obviously expected you to be hard working and constantly helping customers. I really like the company as a whole I think they do genuinely care about the wellbeing/ happiness of their employees
Pros
Food subsidies and staff discount after 3 months.
Cons
A dated outlook with everything tied up in red tape
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winchester3 April 2018
The salary is minimum wage although the partner discount is good. Partners are not reward in their salary for long service. There is no interest in flexible working and the management style is very dated.