John Lewis Employee Reviews

Found 1,284 reviews matching the search See all 1,310 reviews
A Typical Day
Full and Part-time (Former Employee) –  Cheadle, Cheshire19 August 2018
Focused on: what you could be doing, what you are doing and what you've already done, Not enough support when the busiest times are, criticism when it wasn't needed and little focus upon the 'bigger picture'.
Pros
Discount on items
Cons
Poor management
Good Company to Work for - Pays well
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames, Greater London16 August 2018
Good company to work for as the management structure is very well organised. Were always very understanding with my college work and sorted me hours that worked for me.
Pros
Great Pay, Smart Uniform, Good Management
Great benefits but salary could be improved
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire13 August 2018
Every day is busy in the life of a merchandiser but it is really useful work and you feel useful - even if sometimes you don't get recognised by managers. It is a great stepping stone for advancing in the company and it is well received on a CV. Also, there are a lot of 'nice' people that work for John Lewis so you're always guaranteed to get along with people. The hardest part of the job is working so hard for the pay. Pay does go up every year if you achieve but not by much!
Pros
Cheap lunches, interesting work
Cons
Pay
Good
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Pontprennau/Old St. Mellons ED13 August 2018
i was a checkout assistant which was sometimes very busy but i found management was poorly structured however waitrose employees were hard workers.mm,m
Pros
Partner benefits
Cons
lack of management
benefits good
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Leicester12 August 2018
working since the store was opened. worked across various departments due to bad rota's . Learned various skills. Not known any company to work on a six week rota. which can be beneficial for long days off but it left gaps on departments. this was a continuous problem and led to those in a non-selling rolls having to cover the shop floor. It was difficult to say no . Non selling staff were deemed not important in the job roll they carried out.
Management- its not what you know but who you know to be able to gain any recognition . Created management postilions that were not necessary. Some mangers good and fair but other were not. The hardest part of the job was motivation. Very good benefits. APR's long winded and complicated.
Pros
work benefits
Cons
Management and organistion
Fun and productive work place
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Horsham, West Sussex10 August 2018
Working on the Waitrose side of the John Lewes Partnership (JLP) keeps you on your feet. The management team is lovely and the environment is always kept upbeat. The supervisors are easy to approach should you need them. However, I found when it came to leave, I have a big family which means things often forget to be mentioned until a couple of weeks before, although they were welcoming they weren't willing to be flexible when it came to moving or adjusting my hours.
Very fun placement
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Norwich8 August 2018
I did many things on my work placement at John Lewis, overall it was a great experience. My favourite part of the placement was working in the electronics department
Bullied partners
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk7 August 2018
You'll more often than not be expected to work with an agency porter and a hire vehicle chasing your rear end on an 11hr + shift. You'll be given a temperamental hand held terminal and an out of date sat nav and expected to do drops in breakneck time. 7 mins to deliver a washing machine, 35 mins to install a t.v ect. You'll be treated like a child and will be you can never win ie .. 1 taco infringement = a disciplinary and no pay rise for a year. You'll also be judged and tested continuously on performance etc and penalised for not being perfect. Whatever you do you must never talk against the so called partnership, face to face or online as you are monitored. If you're caught out you'll be in dire trouble.Your best bet is to just give this dictatorship a wide berth.
Pros
Ok wage
Cons
Long hours and treated like a number not a human being.
no chance of fulltime work
Porter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool7 August 2018
used and abused then let go after 1 years work the worst run company i have ever worked for in my life no chance of a contract they just use you when they feel like.wide birth
Pros
Cons
bad wages
Great place to work, great benefits and lovely working environment.
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton7 August 2018
I had to privilege to have worked with some fantastic people while working at The Place to Eat in Southampton, all of which made my experience all the more better.

The management were lovely, and I felt I could approach them about anything that was of concern, and felt that there was room for me to impact some of the decisions that were made in response.

Something I enjoyed was the great customer service that John Lewis strive to provide to their customers, which I actively tried to bring to everyday of my work.

I learnt a great deal and if I had planned to stay there for a longer period, I know there was a great deal more I could have learned and progressed through different departments of the store.

Want to know more about John Lewis?

Ask a question
No ethics, respect and equality.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire6 August 2018
I worked at john Lewis for 14 months. The reason behind i left is racist behaviour from my co workers. I did complain about it but no constructive action has been taken. Manager treat agency worker as body or slave instead of co worker. No greetings or respect. Worst experience i had in my whole life. JL should not recruit anyone apart from british or eu . Management is more bad than the company. Overall if the company. cant take any action against racism and supporting them who is racist that means jl is a racist company.
you are just a number
supermarket 'partner' (Former Employee) –  waitrose6 August 2018
I would not recommend this company it is two tier the attitude to non management workers is middle ages / serf like. The job title including the word partner is a joke. The main reason I left was it is impossible to get the time you want off and the work ethic is one of you are lucky to get a job there. Unless you are in with the management you will only be able to take time off when they let you and you will not get it even if you ask the 2 weeks ahead they say required. Usually I would ask 2 or three months ahead and they would take a month to think about it then say no. The only way to work here is to go sick when you need time off so the culture is very bad and means workers having to do more than they can possibly do as never enough staff as this happens a lot.
Experience
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow4 August 2018
John Lewis was good work experience, I learned a lot about customer service, stock management, and product knowledge that would help me on making sales at the work placement
Customer service
Sales (Current Employee) –  London2 August 2018
Giving excellent customer service and support to help maximize sales, making sure that customers return making sure they have a good experience and that every sale is served with a smile
Benefits
Cons
Pay for lunch
Great Introduction to a professional work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Royal Tunbridge Wells2 August 2018
As a student leaving school John Lewis really helped me gain greater professionalism in the workplace and presented me with a new attitude towards work.
Pros
Good opportunities.
Cons
The company isn't what it used to be
Team orientated cafe assistant role
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire2 August 2018
A typical day at work involved managing the operation of the cafe, serving customers and abiding by strict food hygiene regulations. The staff were friendly and many members became close friends for life. The management team were mostly friendly during my time there. The role taught me the importance of customer satisfaction and always striving to meet the needs of the customer. My interpersonal skills greatly improved as a consequence of being a front-of-house staff member. The hardest part of the job was handling the cafe at busy times of the year, especially around Christmas. The best part of the job was working around friendly and hard working people.
Pros
Friendly Staff, Free Lunch, Diverse working environment
Cons
Difficult customers
Fun place to work and friendly.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Shirley, West Midlands2 August 2018
I was doing all kind of warehouse work, like packing picking stock, helping unload lorreis, loading lorreis and vans. It was very busy warehouse items going all around the country. It was fun and friendly staff to work with, but the work was always done on time for the day.
Pros
Cafeteria for breaks.
Cons
Good.
Productive & Fun Workplace - Poor Management
SALES ADVISOR (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 August 2018
The company is currently going through a period of great reorganisation due to the difficult time on the High Street. This role would be great for a school/college/university graduate wanting to get into the field of retail. The company is very focussed on training all staff to a high standard. The role on the shop floor varies some days are quiet others you are rushed off your feet. Management are poor there seems to be no sense of direction many staff have left and not been replaced putting stress and extra work on remaining staff. Dealing with Customers and helping them the most nicest part of the job. The hours are very long and the salary is very low if you start off as a Selling Assistant. Employee Benefits are excellent although the annual bonus gets lower year on year as it depends on profit and may not be around for much longer.
Pros
Partner Discount
Cons
Low Pay, Long Hours, Weekend Working
Personnel service centre advisor (Former Employee) –  Bracknell1 August 2018
The John Lewis partnership is great company to work for who look after their partners and have provide great benefits. The offices are in a great location in Bracknell.
Hard Work but Fun
Sales Assistant, Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Teignmouth1 August 2018
If you are happy to be flexible and work in a number of different places, Waitrose is for you.
Can have long days but partners are friendly and work together.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at John Lewis. Our community is ready to answer.